• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HS Wrestler refuses to hit a Girl, forfeits match

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dan Yo said:
I am appalled that girls have been allowed into the boys division all of this time. I'm appalled that anyone is even suggesting that he should have gone ahead and wrestled her.

What in the hell is this world coming to? Political correctness has gone horribly wrong.

You missed the part where she earned her spot. Derp.

Dan Yo

Banned
krypt0nian said:
You missed the part where she earned her spot. Derp.
The other girl at the competition who had a better record and on all accounts was a better wrestler, was creamed in the two matches she had.

On some level I understand sexual equality. Intellectually, men and women are equals on most accounts, but physically there really is no question as to which sex is more dominant. A society pretending that men and women are equal on that level, is a society that has allowed political correctness to go way too far.

Dan Yo said:
The other girl at the competition who had a better record and on all accounts was a better wrestler, was creamed in the two matches she had.

On some level I understand sexual equality. Intellectually, men and women are equals on most accounts, but physically there really is no question as to which sex is more dominant. A society pretending that men and women are equal on that level, is a society that has allowed political correctness to go way too far.

She earned her spot to be there too. Beating guy after guy to get there. She was more than a match physically to them. This have zero to do with being PC as the girl legitimately beat them. Unless you think the guys at her school with a worse record should be here over her. Because that's horrible.

PC would be saying that there needs to be x amount of girls on the team regardless of talent.

Dan Yo

Banned
krypt0nian said:
She earned her spot to be there too. Beating guy after guy to get there. She was more than a match physically to them. This have zero to do with being PC as the girl legitimately beat them. Unless you think the guys at her school with a worse record should be here over her. Because that's horrible.

PC would be saying that there needs to be x amount of girls on the team regardless of talent.
The only one that should have been there at the competition was the best guy at her school. Whether he would've been creamed or not.

Mixing women in with the guys not only creates a lose-lose situation for the boys, demoralizing them completely, but it also creates situations like these where boys either throw the match or forfeit.

I really can't fathom why they didn't just have a women's league for the girls.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Dan Yo said:
The only one that should have been there at the competition was the best guy at her school. Whether he would've been creamed or not.

Mixing women in with the guys not only creates a lose-lose situation for the boys, demoralizing them completely, but it also creates situations like these where boys either throw the match or forfeit.

I really can't fathom why a women's league was not created for the girls.
Not enough girls or money in many cases.

So, that being said... Girl wants to wrestle, she goes 20-13 and makes it to this tournament through hardwork and dedication like everyone else, why disrespect her by not taking the match if you're anything but a sexist? There's no league for her and everyone in charge gave her the greenlight to participate. Whats the issue?

DY_nasty said:

So, that being said... Girl wants to wrestle, she goes 20-13 and makes it to this tournament through hardwork and dedication like everyone else, why disrespect her by not taking the match if you're anything but a sexist? There's no league for her and everyone in charge gave her the greenlight to participate. Whats the issue?

Exactly. She deserved to be there. The end.

Dan Yo

Banned
DY_nasty said:

There should be a league for her and the people in charge should know better.

DY_nasty

Dan Yo said:
There should be a league for her and the people in charge should know better.
See above.

Not enough female participants to warrant one and probably financial issues too.

And before you start with her getting hurt or anything like that, she's got a MUCH larger chance of getting hurt while cheerleading than wrestling.

Shouta

A bit of a lose-lose situation for the guy but oh well. I probably would be ok with wrestling her but if it was a competition involving striking or impacts, I'd probably forfeit too.

There might be one girl in every school who wants to wrestle, if that. There's no way schools can actually set up a program for just them. If girls want to compete in the sport, they're going to have to wrestle with guys.

Wrestling is a combat sport, and this person didn't feel comfortable wrestling a woman for obvious reasons. Whether its right or wrong, how you turn this non-event into a sinister breed of sexism is beyond me.

Dan Yo

Banned
DY_nasty said:
See above.

Not enough female participants to warrant one and probably financial issues too.

And before you start with her getting hurt or anything like that, she's got a MUCH larger chance of getting hurt while cheerleading than wrestling.
There are tons of clubs and leagues for unpopular sports and activities. I remember my high school having a chess club of which only 2 people were a part of. But they still had it, among other unpopular clubs.

If it really weren't feasible, then just have her join something that has a female team. You don't just start throwing the girls on the men's football team because there aren't enough girls wanting to play to form their own team.

I've never heard of anything so ridiculous.

DY_nasty

Dan Yo said:
There are tons of clubs and leagues for unpopular sports and activities. I remember my high school having a chess club of which only 2 people were a part of. But they still had it, among other unpopular clubs.

If it really weren't feasible, then just have her join something that has a female team. You don't just start throwing the girls on the men's football team because there aren't enough girls wanting to play to form their own team.

You can't compare a single high school's chess club to a real state funded sport. Hell, those two people can do everything that after school club needs. Something like an entire women's wrestling branch is on a different scale and you know it. Equipment, judges, coaches, sports med personnel, travel expenses for tournaments... cmon son

She wants to wrestle and is willing to put in the work to do so. You want to tell her "no girls allowed since we don't have the money or necessary participants, but hey there's the track team! Thats almost wrestling. rite? rite?".

And yeah, there are girls around the nation that play with guys on the football field. If they can perform, why hit them with some sexist, delicate flower bullshit? Let em play. They've earned it and they deserve the same respect that every athlete gets.

Rei_Toei said:
This website with a profile for her is a goldmine. There's photos with unbelievable physics going on, there's her dad, which turns out is actually Jeff Bridges, and there's this super-natural smile:

cassandra-herkelman.jpg

Despite that she's kinda hot.

More please....

Dan Yo said:

She wrestles with and beats boys.

Deal with it.

Dan Yo

Banned
krypt0nian said:
She wrestles with and beats boys.

Deal with it.
Because boys throw matches/forfeit to her. Which is exactly how she won here. They are being put in an unfair position and it's not fair to both the boys and the girl that she is put in the men's divisions.

DY_nasty

Dan Yo said:
Because boys throw matches/forfeit to her. Which is exactly how she won here. They are being put in an unfair position and it's not fair to both the boys and the girl that she is put in the men's divisions.
Nope... he's the first.

And a girl in Colorado won it all a few years back too. No sexist bs for her though.

Dan Yo said:

You know how dumb that post sounded? You're moaning like an old grandma.

Prove all her matches were thrown or shut the fuck up.

Dan Yo

Banned
krypt0nian said:
You know how dumb that post sounded? You're moaning like an old grandma.

Prove all her matches were thrown or shut the fuck up.
I didn't say they all were. I said that is the position the boys are put in. The data is not available for how many matches were thrown or forfeited, but that's the decision the boys had to deal with. Lose, or beat her and still lose.

It ends up not being fair to the boys or the girls. Which is why any sane sports program separates the boys from the girls.

Dan Yo said:
I didn't say they all were. I said that is the position the boys are put in. The data is not available for how many matches were thrown or forfeited, but that's the decision the boys had to deal with. Lose, or beat her and still lose.

It ends up not being fair to the boys or the girls. Which is why any sane sports program separates the boys from the girls.

She got the wins and deserves her spot. Until you can prove otherwise, you are wrong. You said "that's how she got there."

Perhaps the boys should be better wrestlers.

DY_nasty

Dan Yo said:

How is it not fair to the guys?

I really have trouble seeing this. Whenever I sparred with a woman, it wasn't an issue of "damn, how am I going to deal with hitting a girl today?", "What will people think?", "I hope I don't get kicked out of church for this". Its some weak-minded, sexist bullshit no matter how you cut it.

A person who works hard and trains like everyone else does everything that they need to in order to get to a state championship. Are they are a woman? gay? black? missing a leg or arm? It doesn't mean anything if they've earned the right to be there.

There will probably never be a large movement to have girls wrestling in high schools across the US. They are extremely rare and have been years. Guys in similar situations are put in this position all the time and they don't pull this crap. To be frank, his coach should've pulled him aside and set his entire team straight ahead of time.

Dan Yo

Banned
krypt0nian said:
She got the wins and deserves her spot. Until you can prove otherwise, you are wrong. You said "that's how she got there."

Perhaps the boys should be better wrestlers.
Yes, she "earned her spot". Just as she "earned" her win at the state tournament.

I guess a win is a win, and I'm sure she's happy to take the wins no matter the circumstances, but it's still not fair to the boys that are forced to compete against her.

Dan Yo said:
Yes, she "earned her spot". Just as she "earned" her win at the state tournament.

I guess a win is a win, and I'm sure she's happy to take the wins no matter the circumstances, but it's still not fair to the boys that are forced to compete against her.

No no. That was one win. The onus is on your to prove that shit or shut the fuck up. A pussy at the tourney wusses out. Now where is your evidence for her record?

I'll wait.

But you can't so stop with the clenching of panties and the wild accusations. You have deep sexist tendencies and I hope to hell you never infect your potential daughter with them.

Dead Man

Dan Yo said:

How stupid can one person be?

Kalnos

Banned
I can only imagine the hilarity in this thread if the situation was reversed, e.g. a guy playing on a girls field hockey team.

I think it's fine for sexes to intermingle like girls wrestling with boys and boys playing in field hockey.

If there is enough interest in the opposite sex playing however (like many more girls want to wrestle) then gender-only leagues should be created.

projekt84

Kalnos said:
I can only imagine the hilarity in this thread if the situation was reversed, e.g. a guy playing on a girls field hockey team.

Seems like it wouldn't be that similar of a situation at all.

Let's not forget that girls are still different than boys.

Dan Yo

Banned
DY_nasty said:
How is it not fair to the guys?

I really have trouble seeing this. Whenever I sparred with a woman, it wasn't an issue of "damn, how am I going to deal with hitting a girl today?", "What will people think?", "I hope I don't get kicked out of church for this". Its some weak-minded, sexist bullshit no matter how you cut it.

A person who works hard and trains like everyone else does everything that they need to in order to get to a state championship. Are they are a woman? gay? black? missing a leg or arm? It doesn't mean anything if they've earned the right to be there.

There will probably never be a large movement to have girls wrestling in high schools across the US. They are extremely rare and have been years. Guys in similar situations are put in this position all the time and they don't pull this crap. To be frank, his coach should've pulled him aside and set his entire team straight ahead of time.
Please don't compare being white or black/straight or gay to being male or female. There are inarguably large physical differences between the sexes and that is why every sport has separate leagues for men and women.

DY_nasty

Dan Yo said:
Please don't compare being white or black/straight or gay to being male or female. There are inarguably large physical differences between the sexes and that is why every sport has separate leagues for men and women.
I didn't. I said that those factors don't mean shit IF the institution green lights it. Also, at that weight class, the physical differences aren't nearly as pronounced as they would be at the higher weights. A guy can run track with a prosthetic leg - a girl can't wrestle?

And when are you going to acknowledge that the girl won 20 matches as a freshmen on her to this title match? Or that a girl has actually won the entire thing before without guys backing out?

Dan Yo

Banned
krypt0nian said:
No no. That was one win. The onus is on your to prove that shit or shut the fuck up. A pussy at the tourney wusses out. Now where is your evidence for her record?

I'll wait.

But you can't so stop with the clenching of panties and the wild accusations. You have deep sexist tendencies and I hope to hell you never infect your potential daughter with them.
To say that men are physically more powerful than women is not sexist. That is unquestionable truth.

DY_nasty said:
I didn't. I said that those factors don't mean shit IF the institution green lights it. Also, at that weight class, the physical differences aren't nearly as pronounced as they would be at the higher weights. A guy can run track with a prosthetic leg - a girl can't wrestle?

And when are you going to acknowledge that the girl won 20 matches as a freshmen on her to this title match? Or that a girl has actually won the entire thing before without guys backing out?

He won't.

Dan Yo said:
To say that men are physically more powerful than women is not sexist. That is unquestionable truth.

OK now. Dumbass, she beat guys over and over. She apparently overcame this Herculean strength.

Stop avoiding. Where is the proof she won any of those other matches by forfeit?

Dan Yo

Banned
DY_nasty said:

The institution should not have green lighted it. The institution is wrong. If the institution green lights mixing the sexes in prisons in the name of sexual equality, I would still say the institution is wrong.

Kalnos said:

Yeah, there is still that. My brother really wanted to play volleyball in HS. He had to settle for cross country because that certainly wasn't going to fly.

Dan Yo said:
The institution should not have green lighted it. The institution is wrong. If the institution green lights mixing the sexes in prisons in the name of sexual equality, I would still say the institution is wrong.

What if they let a girl with equal skills on the team? Because no evidence exists for your theory. This is a ongoing theme with your posts in this thread.

DY_nasty

Dan Yo said:
Why shouldn't they have?

There aren't enough girls to warrant a full division, there isn't enough money, the girls who are with the guys have proven to be more than capable competitors plenty of times... what are you talking about? You don't get to a state tournament by being ass and you definitely would hear a lot more of an uproar if this girl actually did cakewalk to that position via a forfeit parade - but thats obviously not the case.

So far, all you've said is "Girls shouldn't be there - because they're built differently and they should go do other girl stuff" WHICH SOUNDS LIKE ______

Dan Yo

Banned
DY_nasty said:
Why shouldn't they have?

There aren't enough girls to warrant a full division, there isn't enough money, the girls who are with the guys have proven to be more than capable competitors plenty of times... what are you talking about? You don't get to a state tournament by being ass and you definitely would hear a lot more of an uproar if this girl actually did cakewalk to that position via a forfeit parade - but thats obviously not the case.

So far, all you've said is "Girls shouldn't be there - because they're built differently and they should go do other girl stuff" WHICH SOUNDS LIKE ______
No. I said they shouldn't be there because it's unfair to the boys. A guy just is not going to give 100% when their opponent is a female. They are left with the option to take it easy, throw the match, or forfeit. No guy is going to manhandle and slam a girl around. Especially not amongst a crowd of their peers.

Once again, it's not fair to the boys or the girls (but mainly the boys) that the sexes are mixed in a sport like this. That's really all it comes down to.

Dan Yo said:
No. I said they shouldn't be there because it's unfair to the boys. A guy just is not going to give 100% when their opponent is a female. They are left with the option to take it easy, throw the match, or forfeit. No guy is going to manhandle and slam a girl around. Especially not amongst a crowd of their peers.

Once again, it's not fair to the boys or the girls (but mainly the boys) that the sexes are mixed in a sport like this. That's really all it comes down to.

Sounds like the little darlings need to man up. Because you've painted them as pussies, instead of competitors.

Dan Yo said:

I thought it would be more unfair to the girls being forced to compete against boys who are supposedly much more stronger than them. I mean, in your scenerio, there's no guarantee that a boy is going to care about chivalry, and guys have a distinct advantage in this sport, by your words.

You're projecting, it seems like.

Dan Yo

Banned
DryEyeRelief said:
I thought it would be more unfair to the girls being forced to compete against boys who are supposedly much more stronger than him. I mean, in your scenerio, there's no guarantee that a boy is going to care about chivalry, and guys have a distinct advantage in this sport, by your words.

You're projecting, it seems like.
Like I said, it's unfair to both.

DY_nasty

Dan Yo said:

Wow dude... Just go ahead and say that they belong in the kitchen.

And continue not acknowledging her 20 wins, female wrestlers around the country who've been competing with and alongside men for years, and how a girl won state in Colorado before without anyone backing out along the way. IF there was a girl's division, she'd be in it. But there isn't one, there aren't many, and there never will be a many in the future. In the meantime girls are matching up against boys and holding their own. Problem?

Esch

Banned
I wrestled a girl in HS once when I was still in the 140lb division. My fear of losing was way worse than feeling bad, sadly. I know it's horrible to say this, but her being completely unattractive made it a lot easier to just go through with it and count her out quickly

I respect wrestling girls for competing with dudes. They might not be as strong physically as the best guys, but they're tough and they've got a lot to prove.

He should have gone through with it. This girl proved her chops by getting that far in state, looks like he backed out of a challenge IMO.

Dan Yo said:

Wrong. If you really respect women, the sport, and your team you'll go out there and give it your all whoever it is.

Dan Yo

Banned
DryEyeRelief said:
Why it's unfair to the girls doesn't seem to be any of your concern though, compared to the boys.
It's unfair to the girls because the majority of the boys are not going to wrestle with them the same way they would with another guy. The ones that do will overpower them, and the ones that don't aren't giving them a real fight anyway. It's unfair to her as well. Albeit not as unfair as it is to the guys having to be put in that situation in the first place.

Wallach

While I agree it's kind of unfair on both sides, the fact that she still showed up on game day should be enough to get out there in the ring with her. She knew what she was getting into, that should be enough to just put it aside and throw down. If she winds up with a cooch contusion because of it, well, tough. I'm sure she doesn't care or she wouldn't be there.

DY_nasty

Dan Yo said:
It's unfair to the girls because the majority of the boys are not going to wrestle with them the same way they would with another guy. The ones that do will overpower them, and the ones that don't aren't giving them a real fight anyway. It's unfair to her as well. Albeit not as unfair as it is to the guys having to be put in that situation in the first place.
This is trolling right? He's not serious. He can't be. Because this is completely loaded from start to finish.

Dan Yo

Banned
Wallach said:
While I agree it's kind of unfair on both sides, the fact that she still showed up on game day should be enough to get out there in the ring with her. She knew what she was getting into, that should be enough to just put it aside and throw down. If she winds up with a cooch contusion because of it, well, tough. I'm sure she doesn't care or she wouldn't be there.
Well ya, but the guys aren't going to think like that. If they seriously hurt the girl then the thought process for most of them isn't going to be "Ah well, tough". The audience wouldn't think much of him for it either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom