• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBC poll: Trump continues to lead the GOP field after 1st debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivysaur12

Banned
Seems legit.

@BrendanNyhan
Context for new NBC poll - Cohen is serious & quality online polls now easily rival phone on accuracy. Don't dismiss

It's accurate. Maybe Best Phone > Best Internet, but Internet Polling is real and it's accurate.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Either that, or I want a tell-all account from Bill Clinton about a decade from now - starting with that phone call between him and the Donald..

THdE6gf.gif

MIMIC

Banned
I think Trump would make a God-awful president and there is no way in hell I would vote for him, but the media needs to fucking STOP with this nonsense about him supposedly sabotaging himself. CNN interviewed a focus group after the debate and they were all saying that Trump turned them off as voters. CNN then touted this as proof that Trump just ended his chances.

So is Trump winning because of his bluster or in spite of it?

What I'm really asking is, if he came out in the next debate and acted just a *tad* bit more presidential...would that pretty much solidify him? Or is he only getting support because of his antics, and would taking it seriously actually backfire against him?

Konka

Banned
Should be interesting to see if the Coronation stuff bites them in the ass, I imagine it will.

It establishes contrasting stances while interest is sky high. Not to mention test if Clinton is a dud debate-wise against Sanders.

We already know exactly what to expect from Hillary at debates, just look back at 2008, I don't know what you expect to get out of these debates.

What I'm really asking is, if he came out in the next debate and acted just a *tad* bit more presidential...would that pretty much solidify him? Or is he only getting support because of his antics, and would taking it seriously actually backfire against him?

The supporters I've seen like him only because he uses blunter language to insult minorities instead of the coded language other candidates use. I think respectability would hurt him.

jtb

Banned
It's foolish to count Jeb out at this point. He's polished and is an actual politician, unlike half the clowns running. The biggest difference between Jeb and Romney is that there's other very viable moderate/sane choices that the establishment has been grooming, like Rubio and Walker.

Cruz has a high floor and a low ceiling. He will never win the nomination.

Carson and Trump will burn themselves out just like all the other gimmick candidates did in 2012 and once the dust settles, we'll see how Jeb puts all that Super PAC money to use.

The number should certainly be higher but my point was more about timing rather than the general number.

I agree. The timing is the problem, not the number.

Jarmel

Banned
We already know exactly what to expect from Hillary at debates, just look back at 2008, I don't know what you expect to get out of these debates.

7-8 years makes a ton of difference. Not to mention she didn't exactly smoke Obama in them.

IMO, because of it. Americans are not a subtle bunch. Trump is like an action movie hero in politics, surrounded by the paper pushers that try to keep the cool stuff from happening on screen.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think Trump would make a God-awful president and there is no way in hell I would vote for him, but the media needs to fucking STOP with this nonsense about him supposedly sabotaging himself. CNN interviewed a focus group after the debate and they were all saying that Trump turned them off as voters. CNN then touted this as proof that Trump just ended his chances.

The problem is they're applying traditional campaign logic to Trump when this isn't a traditional campaign. Trump is the electoral equivalent of the Joker and no one knows how to deal with him, so they're just doing what they normally do. Everyone is going to have a very interesting postmortem a year or so from now.

whipihguh

Banned
Wasn't this Fox News? Maybe CNN also did it, but I remember Fox News doing this immediately after the debate.

wildfire

Banned
A scientific online survey you say?

Well that quells all my methodological concerns.

Not really the most reliable polling method, no?

That said I still expect Trump to be on top. No way he lost THAT much support from the Kelly thing if he survived the McCain thing (and even went up after it).

His debate performance itself was actually pretty strong all things considered.

How am I supposed to reconcile it with this:

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/...debate-donald-trump-biggest-loser-121146.html

Edit: Oh, this NBC one is an online poll :/

I'm not surprised

Wait, surveymonkey? What the hell NBC?

Oh, well in that case.

not gonna put much stock in a "scientific online poll"

An online poll? A lot of Democrats would participate and vote Trump simply for laughs. Curious how the first Republican-only poll post-debate will pan out.

From his twitter account.

@MattMackowiak yes. As I said on air. Online panel. So scientifically done. Not like drudge or other internet polls. Screened

wildfire

Banned
The supporters I've seen like him only because he uses blunter language to insult minorities instead of the coded language other candidates use. I think respectability would hurt him.

Trump's appeal isn't only after going after minorities. It's going after anyone deemed a threat and a hindrance.

The way his popularity grew with new fans more than he lost previous fans shows there are people who are fed up with the political establishment. Trump is the Republican Populist and that's a platform that should concern everyone to some degree because being an attack dog for the people has more cross appeal than being the attack dog for the elite convincing the masses to vote against their interests like the typical Republican.

IMO, because of it. Americans are not a subtle bunch. Trump is like an action movie hero in politics, surrounded by the paper pushers that try to keep the cool stuff from happening on screen.

This is also true. Trump's Walter White and the GOP elite is Skylar. (unfair comparison to that character and what the GOP actually is)

And that was even with the Fox News anchors trying to sandbag him. The GOP is in trouble.

They really are. They've clearly tried taking him down during the debate. And everyday since the debate as well with their "randomly selected potential voters" reactions on a lot of their programs. It's not working. Now they have to tow the line between taking him down and not driving him to run third party.

still looking for evidence romney won ohio

Hahaha, beat me to it.

http://youtu.be/9TwuR0jCavk

Skeletron

The possibility of Trump becoming president reminds me of those media-crazy dystopian visions of the future from 80s scifi movies like Running Man and Robocop. He is liked because he is the most outrageous personality among a bunch of pencil pushers. I'm not sure whether I'm more frightened or excited to see where this goes.

params7

Banned

Cnn did this shit too? Just how out of touch can media be..

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I've been thinking king about this for a while now, and you know what? Beneath all of the comedy, all of the "ha-ha Trump running for president" and "can you believe this guy?" I think he is actually making valuable contributions to the political dialogue around this election. No seriously! Hear me out!

Okay first off yeah he should never actually be president, for a number of reasons including
1. He's quite racist
2. He's quite sexist
3. He thinks business success qualifies him for presidential leadership, which is dubious even when claimed by actually good businessmen

But all of that aside a few things have really struck me so far:
1. Would the issue of money in politics have ever come up in the Republican primary, let alone that debate stage, without him explicitly calling out how easy it is for him to buy politicians? A lot of politicians in both parties wish that that issue never ever gets discussed and here's Trump pumping out soundbytes about all of the money in Washington

2. I find the way that he attacked Walker in particular to be incredibly interesting. His line of attack was to call out Walker for fucking up the state, specifically the infrastructure, and specifically the "crumbling roads, hospitals, and schools". I guarenteed no other Republican candidate would dare call that out because they all have to toe the party line of slash and burn strategy that causes it. It's practically a Democrat line.

Is Trump a secret Democrat plant? No, obviously not. What he is is a guy with a platform, such that it is, that doesn't adhere to either party completely, and combined with just how much attention he generates for himself he's throwing a wrench right into the middle of the Republican primary dialogue, and I find that completely unironically valuable

wildfire

Banned
But all of that aside a few things have really struck me so far:
1. Would the issue of money in politics have ever come up in the Republican primary, let alone that debate stage, without him explicitly calling out how easy it is for him to buy politicians? A lot of politicians in both parties wish that that issue never ever gets discussed and here's Trump pumping out soundbytes about all of the money in Washington

2. I find the way that he attacked Walker in particular to be incredibly interesting. His line of attack was to call out Walker for fucking up the state, specifically the infrastructure, and specifically the "crumbling roads, hospitals, and schools". I guarenteed no other Republican candidate would dare call that out because they all have to toe the party line of slash and burn strategy that causes it. It's practically a Democrat line.

Is Trump a secret Democrat plant? No, obviously not. What he is is a guy with a platform, such that it is, that doesn't adhere to either party completely, and combined with just how much attention he generates for himself he's throwing a wrench right into the middle of the Republican primary dialogue, and I find that completely unironically valuable

Clearly Trump is the great uniter. Change we definitely can believe in for the 1st term. [/glib]

Kathian

Banned
Trump will win imo; hes an arse but his actual 'policy' views will probably cut into the Democrats base slightly (the over-confidence and lack of realisation of how two party politics work from the Democrats recently is ridiculous).

What freaks me out isn't that Trump is in first place, but that Ted Cruz is in second. He's the nuttiest, most dangerous nutjob of the bunch, but that doesn't stop the GOP base from liking the guy.

Rick Santorum was the runner up last time around.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Trump will win imo; hes an arse but his actual 'policy' views will probably cut into the Democrats base slightly (the over-confidence and lack of realisation of how two party politics work from the Democrats recently is ridiculous).

You mean the general? He's way too racist to stand a chance. Getting elected is more than just policy views dude.

JPLMD

What shocks me more is Ted Cruz being that high up. Like seriously? If that guy even comes close to getting the presidential nominee, I will weep for the future of my country.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
What shocks me more is Ted Cruz being that high up. Like seriously? If that guy even comes close to getting the presidential nominee, I will weep for the future of my country.

It's really worrying. Not only is this guy a lunatic when it comes to issues—I can still see which kind of person would vote for him, based on that—, he also rallied hard for shutting down the government, for the single purpose of making a name for himself. He doesn't give a wet shit about his country. This guy is truly disgusting.

facelike

I saw that too. Wondering if overly religious people are the ones who are giving him support. Folks who pick due to a person's beleifs rather than politics.

Opiate

Not surprised. He's the only one not hiding his beliefs behind typic politician rhetoric. People find that fresh, no matter how wrong/right those beliefs are.

I.E. he's not lying to your face about how large of a jag he is. Things like "not lying" are usually pretty high up on the priority list for people, other politicians should take note.

Wow Ben Carson doing well to only have spoke like 2 times the entire night.

Low expectations and "I'll govern like God is on my right shoulder" plays well with the base.

Because of it, if I had to guess.

The fact that the top 3 in the polls right now are Trump, Cruz, and Carson should tell you all you need to know about the value of polling data this far out from an election.

I read somewhere that fox news is also the most watched/trusted news outlet. scary stuff.

Liberals tend to watch and trust one or more of a variety of media outlets, while conservatives tend to watch and trust FOX News specifically.

I think trump appeals to the anti-establishment crowd that hates regular politicians. Saying what's on his mind, regardless of whether it's PC or if it makes sense is what's gaining him those numbers. There's a limit to this though. I don't think he can get above 30% without actually having a policy that makes sense.

If he does come up with legitimate answers without backing down or giving the standard political half answers to honest questions he could be a serious threat. I don't think this will happen though, since that would imply trump actually WANTS the presidency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom