• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBC poll: Trump continues to lead the GOP field after 1st debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

border

What did Jeb Bush say about women's health issues that was bad? Trump keeps bringing it up in this CNN phone interview, but never goes into specifics.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not surprised

Wait, surveymonkey? What the hell NBC?

They're the only ones that would do a poll with a 2 day turnaround.

I'm sure we'll have tons of polls to back it up by tuesday.

Glass Joe

It's going to be lovely watching Hillary just absolutely eviscerate these people on foreign policy.

Could you imagine Ben Carson debating Hillary on the intricacies of our operations and relations in the middle east? lmao

Ben Carson I personally have trouble believing is a real candidate. He's a retired neurosurgeon who's bored and realizes he has some funny one liners. He seems to be taking advantage of the platform to become an in-demand public speaker, not the president.

What did Jeb Bush say about women's health issues that was bad? Trump keeps bringing it up in this CNN phone interview, but never goes into specifics.

Bush said he didn't think we needed to spend so much money on women's health issues in the first place, when talking about Planned Parenthood. It was a pretty big story, it probably had a thread here.

sangreal

Would a Trump presidency be actually more harmful to the United States than Cruz, Bush, or Walker?

It seems that the biggest detriment would be xenophobic immigration policy and embarrassing international discourse. I'm not quite sure if Trump would push any kind of social conservative agenda, and I doubt that he would be anywhere near as fiscally conservative as his rivals.

Trump doesn't have the temperment to be President -- something he displays regularly. I mean, the guy literally called for a revolution when Obama was re-elected (because he claimed Obama lost the popular vote; did I mention he is stupid?)

That said, I doubt a Trump presidency would be worse than some past Presidents, and he certainly wouldn't be worse than most of the GOP field.

Anyways -- his immigration policy isn't xenophobic, his rhetoric is. His policy is to the left of many of the other candidates. He wants to increase border security and make currently undocumented immigrants re-enter legally. That's impractical, but not particularly xenophobic. It's actually in-line with the current law which requires undocumented immigrants to return home for 3-10 years and re-enter legally to get back on a path to citizenship. The further right would not allow them to re-enter and mistakenly believe Americans will take their jobs

That's false. Way before Fox News was a thing AM radio was and still continues to be the prominent bastion against liberal agendas. Conservatives have their media outlets even if the scope is different.

I meant in terms of networks, sorry.

6u2Wcjn.png

Source

Makki

I can't believe Carly Fiorina actually is one of the top candidates. What happened there?

She was spotlighted and marketed by FOX during the "debate" they constructed. I'm guessing they want another female on the Republican side to grab some of the votes that might be influenced by gender away from Hillary.

"I don't think we need half a billion dollars for women's health." Was a few days ago.

"Feminism is the modern day victim movement." and "Poor women should just get married." are still his greatest of all time, but they happened 20 years ago.

HylianTom

Banned
I'm going to wait for a legitimate, scientific national poll from a reputable outfit.
In the meantime, I love that NBC is choosing to post this on their programs, news sites, social media accounts, etc. There's not much "official" post-debate polling at this point, so folks are going to glom-onto it without much thought; you & I might look at crosstabs or methodology, but how many others do?

It might end-up being bunk, but it can still steer the narrative.

Those other candidates must be embarrassed as hell. Or it is just a sign of the times. Name recognition is more powerful then actual opinion or purpose or ability these days it sometimes seems.

This kind of happened awhile back though when Trump started making headlines and seemed like he was up in polls and then everything just fizzled out and people got tired of the act. But of course he wasn't actually running for president at that time I do not think.

if he does actually somehow get a nomination he will get absolutely murdered in the debates.

Would a Trump presidency be actually more harmful to the United States than Cruz, Bush, or Walker?

It seems that the biggest detriment would be xenophobic immigration policy and embarrassing international discourse. I'm not quite sure if Trump would push any kind of social conservative agenda, and I doubt that he would be anywhere near as fiscally conservative as his rivals.
It would be completely embarrassing but I'd rather have Trump than any of those hard right culture warriors.

Revolver

I can't believe Carly Fiorina actually is one of the top candidates. What happened there?

She's the GOP establishment's real life version of House of Cards Jackie Sharp. Someone they can use to attack Hillary without appearing misogynistic and probably offer a VP slot on the ticket.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
So, Trump is going to fizzle out like every "Candidate of the Week" like last election right?

Any time now...

You might not like her policies but at least she knows the players. Carson doesn't know who's sunni, who's Shia, who's democratic, who's aligned with us on which issues, etc.

I want Obama to be a top adviser for Hilary's foreign policy.

Scoops

Banned
She's the former Secretary of State.

Geroge W Bush is former President

That makes him a genius on all things regarding the presidency?

Julian Castro is the current HUD Secretary. His qualifications:

Mayor of San Antonio
Law degree
Young charismatic Hispanic with Harvard credentials being groomed for VP or Prez

Yep, that makes him a genius on all things Housing and Urban Development related.

You might not like her policies but at least she knows the players. Carson doesn't know who's sunni, who's Shia, who's democratic, who's aligned with us on which issues, etc.

Now this I can agree with.

It's not a far stretch to assume that the Cruz/Carson supporters could rally behind Trump. Or vice versa. And they're nearly a majority.

This is such a shitshow. Fox engineers these debates to give their golden boys (Bush, Walker) the best shot and it completely backfired. Now they're tied for 6th.

Kusagari

It's not a far stretch to assume that the Cruz/Carson supporters could rally behind Trump. Or vice versa. And they're nearly a majority.

This is such a shitshow. Fox engineers these debates to give their golden boys (Bush, Walker) the best shot and it completely backfired. Now they're tied for 6th.

That's the scary thing. Cruz and Carson have both been pretty lackluster to bash Trump, with Cruz outright supporting him regardless of what he does.

If Trump drops out for real and his supporters rally around one of them then shit could get real.

Valhelm

contribute something

I think that's true of many candidates. I'm sure that Trump and even Walker have a spotty understanding of global affairs.

HylianTom

Banned
I think that's true of many candidates. I'm sure that Trump and even Walker have a spotty understanding of global affairs.
I could easily see Walker having one of those "no Soviet domination of Eastern Europe"-type debate moments that completely discredits him on foreign policy.

Trump over Hillary, unless Bidens decides to come run for President.

I feel something inside me when I hear Trump speak. He might be the one.

While that's possible, I think a good chunk of his support is based on name recognition, not ideology. I suspect a lot of Trump's support will be dispersed fairly evenly once he drops out.

Bush and Walker were disasters, but Rubio, who is really the only other legitimate contender, did fairly well. I suspect we may start to see him picking up some of Bush's base.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Jeb is flopping so damn hard! Haha!

That's my favorite part of all of this.
Probably since I've lived in Florida for 31 years now...

While that's possible, I think a good chunk of his support is based on name recognition, not ideology. I suspect a lot of Trump's support will be dispersed fairly evenly once he drops out.

Bush and Walker were disasters, but Rubio, who is really the only other legitimate contender, did fairly well. I suspect we may start to see him picking up some of Bush's base.

That should have been a benefit to non-trump people then... and assuming this poll is accurate...

They need to bring up climate change in the next debate. Ted Cruz should be all but eliminating himself at that point.

Lol. Pretty much the entire GOP nominee field are climate deniers of one stripe or another. The only one that seems to admit is real AND thinks we should do something is Lindsay Graham. And he's probably dead last in polling.

RDreamer

It seemed like most of the candidates during the debate were equating Iran and ISIS, despite the fact that Iran is one of the few countries actually actively fighting against ISIS.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

She's the only one to treat the kids table debate like the main event debate. The rest either acted pissed they were stuck at the kids table, or acted like they were just happy to be on TV at all.

antonz

Any online poll is going to have heavy tampering especially in a case like this when Voting for trump can cause so much havoc.

I don't doubt the results though but basing anything on online polling is foolish

Lol. Pretty much the entire GOP nominee field are climate deniers of one stripe or another. The only one that seems to admit is real AND thinks we should do something is Lindsay Graham. And he's probably dead last in polling.

I don't think he's polling well, but no one else can be last as long as Gilmore is still running.

steveovig

I'm starting to get scared of this guy legit getting the nomination and possibly winning. He's a giant gimmick and people are falling for it. Do you guys think he can rope in the Dem leaning swing voters?

RDreamer

I'm starting to get scared of this guy legit getting the nomination and possibly winning. He's a giant gimmick and people are falling for it. Do you guys think he can rope in the Dem leaning swing voters?

Absolutely not, lol.

If Trump wins the nomination for some crazy ass reason there is no fucking way he would beat Hillary.

Hillary is going to have Bill Clinton and Obama running around talking for her. That vs Trump? yeah... he would lose in one of the most spectacular fashions we've ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom