• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Championships |OT| Wimbledon, 2015

• Thread starter Deleted member 231381
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

AngryMoth

Got tickets for centre court on Wednesday which would be my first time watching tennis in person but currently am not going since I can't get the time off work thanks to some BS with staffing issues :(. Hopefully it gets sorted

Either way, looking forward to my favourite annual sporting event!

scarlet

Murray has a very good record against Tsonga; especially on grass, Nadal will probably lose before even getting to the Quarters and most likely Murray will face Ferrer who will not be able to challenge him on grass and the last time Murray played Federer on grass was the Olympic Final in which he destroyed him.

Edit: Also seen Crab's post above. Why do people think Nadal is a threat on grass? His last three Wimbledons have been 2nd round, 1st round and 4th round.

Because he won twice?

Peru

By the way I'm thinking of trying to go to Wimbledon next year. How hard is it getting show court tickets these days? I think we'll go just for the outer courts anyway, but wondering..

scarlet

By point is that Nadal was so good at the prime of his career that he could win Slams on any surface; now he can't. The same way that Federer is not going to get to the final of the French anymore.

Well you can't really count him out. Remember Federer in 2012? Stan earlier this month? There's no certainty in sports, well anywhere to be honest.

It felt a bit disrespectful to Nadal and it comes from me who doesn't like this guy at all.

Well you can't really count him out. Remember Federer in 2012? Stan earlier this month? There's no certainty in sports, well anywhere to be honest.

It felt a bit disrespectful to Nadal and it comes from me who doesn't like this guy at all.

The main issue I have is the expectation that Nadal will beat Ferrer which I really don't see happening. And referring to your two examples, grass was always Federer's best surface, which was my point, and Stan grew up playing clay and is currently in his prime, which is also my point that I made. Stan has a chance to win on grass only until his prime runs out so he should make the best of this opportunity.

scarlet

The main issue I have is the expectation that Nadal will beat Ferrer which I really don't see happening. And referring to your two examples, grass was always Federer's best surface, which was my point, and Stan grew up playing clay and is currently in his prime, which is also my point that I made. Stan has a chance to win on grass only until his prime runs out so he should make the best of this opportunity.

Federer was past his prime at that point. Clay is his best surface but Stan lost in the 1st round last year, and Nole has stunning year. But we know what happened.

My point is it's disrespectful to count Nadal's out just because he's not having the best year.

IISANDERII

Looks like its going to be pretty warm over the first week at least.

AQgOv7m.png

iEFYVLS.png
Big servers looking to upset.

Humidex

What's the bets on Genie? 1R or 2R?

A dump-out in Round 1!

Also, Djokovic was upset by Alexander Zverev in the Boodles exhibition. Looked really rusty and out of it. Of course, he'll up his game when it matters as most top players does and Zverev would lower his game if it happened on the CC of Wimbledon. Still, I think its strange Djokovic didn't participate in Halle or Queens this year, particularly given the extra time they had this year compared to previous years. Now he will head into the event of the year with minimal preparation while everyone else had both time to prepare and rest.

I'd wager the loss to Stan a couple of weeks ago might have impacted him more than people realize.

Also Zverev: 3rd round!

Humidex

As a side note, if you have access to BBC iPlayer, watch the hour-long documentary of Arthur Ashe. It was pretty good viewing!

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
*scratches head*

So like, is Federer ever gonna retire?

Probably when he drops out of the top 8-10 by year end, I imagine. If he can't get a WTF berth, then his seeding will just get progressively worse as he bumps into the big boys earlier and earlier. Nearly happened in 2013, so at this point I don't think he's much more than one bad season away from retiring.

*scratches head*

So like, is Federer ever gonna retire?

Still playing too well to retire. Not to mention the younger generation has yet to step up and do anything of note in a slam against the big guys, bar the occasional upset that leads to nothing. He still holds his own against almost everyone on the tour and he clearly believes he has another Wimbledon in him. Speaking of the younger generation vs. Federer, that Del Potro/Federer US Open final seems a long, long time ago now. Poor guy is now ranked 578 in the world and requires more surgery on his wrist. Come back soon DelPo; it'd be a real tragedy if you ended your career with only one slam.

scarlet

Still playing too well to retire. Not to mention the younger generation has yet to step up and do anything of note in a slam against the big guys, bar the occasional upset that leads to nothing. He still holds his own against almost everyone on the tour and he clearly believes he has another Wimbledon in him. Speaking of the younger generation vs. Federer, that Del Potro/Federer US Open final seems a long, long time ago now. Poor guy is now ranked 578 in the world and requires more surgery on his wrist. Come back soon DelPo; it'd be a real tragedy if you ended your career with only one slam.

Won USO 09

Spent 2010 year injured
Back to tour in 2011
Top 10 in 2012
Top 5 in 2013
2014-now injured

Sigh

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
the Djoker will put him out of his misery in straight sets, and he'll even give him a nice bagel as a goodbye gift

But Hewitt will be playing Kohli?

believe

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
Anywhere where you can see legal live streams? BBC, Eurosport, something else?

Humidex

Sharapova gets the Centre court nod over Serena. Way to "disrespect" Serena, Wimbledon organizers. You just gave her more motivation to dominate the field.

Sharapova is playing a Brit, which is why she's on Centre. Serena doesn't know that though

Konta?

Nope. At least one bagel is there somewhere...

Won USO 09

Spent 2010 year injured
Back to tour in 2011
Top 10 in 2012
Top 5 in 2013
2014-now injured

Sigh

It's pretty depressing, especially considering how well he played during Wimbledon 2013. pushing Djokovic all the way in that semi-final; Murray, at the very least, owes Del Potro a pint for handing him a very subdued and lacklustre Djokovic in the final. Still, there's always 2016. The year of Del Potro is coming. It just keeps getting pushed back. Kind of like The Last Guardian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom