• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT9/9/99| African Substitute Teachers Run NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishNinja

EMfyPm5.png

―Ξ OT0 | OT1 | OT2 | OT3 | OT4 | OT5 | OT6 | OT7 |
OT8 |Ξ―​
Welcome to GAF-Hop, the home of hip-hop here on NeoGAF. This thread encompasses everything that has to do with hip-hop. From the hottest releases blowing up the Billboard 200 to the free album on Bandcamp, as well as the culture, current events, and the occasional gossip. So come on in and introduce yourself. The members' taste here have an extremely wide range so you're pretty likely to have something in common with someone. But if you come in and find members attacking each other, remember that everything is taken in jest here and we mean no harm, even if we attack you and your taste in music. The more people here conversing in GAF-Hop, the better it'll be. So kick back, relax, and please settle down.

iCxCHvIzEmLrV.png

Every year GAF-Hop hosts it's annual hip-hop awards ceremony:

Additionally, GAF-Hop was bored of making fun of Hopsin one day and the regulars here decided to list their top 10 albums. You can find links to individual members' lists the previous OT. And from all of those posts, Tyler Flozay tallied up the totals and came up with a list containing the top 20 albums. These 20 albums are posted in the image below with the list of albums below it in order starting with the top left album as the first. The album names in order are listed below as well.

ib2BsNowJoDVvp.jpg

• OutKast - ATLiens
  • Dr. Dre - 2001
  • OutKast - Aquemini
  • GZA - Liquid Swords
  • Snoop Dogg - Doggystyle
  • A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders
  • Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die
  • The Game - The Documentary
  • Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid, mAAd City
  • Nas - Illmatic
  • Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
  • Black Star - Black Star
  • Kanye West - College Dropout
  • Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx
  • Wu-Tang Clan - 36 Chambers
  • Ghostface Killah - Supreme Clientele
  • Bone Thugs-n-Harmony - E. 1999 Eternal
  • Kid CuDi - Man on the Moon
  • Eminem - Slim Shady LP
  • Lupe Fiasco - The Cool recons stahp
  • Lupe Fiasco - Food & Liquor

iI137dTCjl59h.png

HiResDes, one of GAF-Hop's OGs has done monthly recommendations in the past but he has moved onto quarterly wrap-ups. Every few months, he takes his favorite studio album releases and free mixtapes released during those three months and posts them all in one convenient post for you.

ibe4vDcyvh8SuM.png

Over the years, GAF-Hop has been home to a lot of incredibly talented artists. The following section is just a small portion of the MCs and producers that post here. If you want to get your material up here, just post it in the thread and ask.

Podcast
The original content isn't limited to music, GAF-Hop has its very own podcast, the GAF-Hop Verses! GAF-Hop OG, Eschaton, had a suggestion to get a podcast going featuring GAF-Hop's regulars. He not only suggested it but decided to host the show and get it organized. As of today, 4 episodes have been recorded and released, each covering a wide range of topics with a different mix of guests for every episode.
Artists
Posse Cuts
Rap Battles

iMcQMIRm8oJDE.png

The GAF-Hop initiation is something fun we came up with. GAF-Hop may seem uninviting, but it's far from it. The musical preferences GAFers have here are as diverse as can be, as evident by the constant state of arguing, and the initiation is a chance for posters new and old to stir up some discussion and introduce themselves to the rest of GAF-Hop.

Musical Taste:
  • Pick a coast to rep -
  • Favorite Artist -
  • Best feature killer -
  • Favourite producer -
  • Favourite album -
  • What's in your playlist right now? -
GAF-Hop Discusses:
  • Rank Kanye's albums:
  • Who is the best Wu-Tang member?
    • Optional: Raekwon or Ghostface?
  • Is Illmatic > Nas' whole life?
  • Who won? Nas or Nas?
  • Biggie or Pac?
  • Lil B? Is he a genius or mentally challenged?
  • How do you feel about Macklemore?
  • Best odds on coming out before you die: Dre's Detox, GZA's Liquid Swords 2, or Jay Electronica - whatever?

ibmrLqa3awxbxM.png

i8Xa4lcGJhiNT.png

About half of the music and topics posted in here usually comes from the various blogs that the Hoppers frequent. Some of the more popular are the following:
And the other half comes from the user's own digging. Artists use various sites to upload their own material for sale or for free. The following are the most well known resources and using the site's respective filters, you can find a lot of music out there.
In addition, there's also Rap Genius, which is the most active and complete lyric and lyric explaining resource out there, sometimes featuring insight from the artists themselves. And there's WhoSampled, which is a great resource for tracking down the samples used in songs.

- - - - -

Well that's all! I'd like to thank CRS for the base for this OT, esha for the title and enzoes for me swaggerjacking it wholesale. also the rest of GAF-Hop for their undying support of Native Tongue Tuesdays.

And of course, whenever there is uncertainty or if GAF-Hop is too quiet, we always have a Shepherd to guide us:

Het4J.jpg

Tokubetsu

I'm confused, GAF-HOP moves too fast for me... Can someone explain the thread title?

Kenneth Lamar dresses like that pain in the ass african substitute teacher you had in high school. The one that always gave homework like an asshole.

IrishNinja

CURRENT OT8 WALL OF SHAME

Eschaton 1,643
HiResDes 954
enzo_gt 802
thabiz 704
DominoKid 697
HiiiLife 586
Tguy 573
overcast 553
CRS 539
Tokubetsu 514
Mannny 494
PhoenixPause 493
IrishNinja 490
Blackace ∞

I'm confused, GAF-HOP moves too fast for me... Can someone explain the thread title?

it's numerology, basic shit for 5% gaf-hoppers...really, by now ya'll should at least know how aliens murked Pac

Ugh, who let Jitters Jr make the OT. I thought Eschaton was making it?

eshalight is on parole & can't report for duty ATM

ps i see ur shade but ya pawprints is all over that banner dun

Macca

OH FUCK. And this guy even snuck a dreamcast reference up in here. Can't handle Shenmue 3 NEVER COMING OUT.

What's the deal on the new Budden, Some Love Lost? is it a remix of his last album of similar name, mixtape, or a new venture?

That OP is pretty damn sweet btw.

IrishNinja

thank you, abstract aliens! banner aside, i made it all by myself. to reward myself, i'm wearing every single chain (even though i'm in the house)

Jay Sosa

I just realized I never done one of this surveys and since I'm bored at work her we goooo

Musical Taste:
Pick a coast to rep - Austria
Favorite Artist - Prinz Pi
Best feature killer - Twista
Favourite producer - Mannie Fresh
Favourite album - All eyez on me
What's in your playlist right now? - Stalley Tape, Kompass ohne Norden, John Mayers new album
GAF-Hop Discusses:
Rank Kanye's albums: all crap besides 808 and CD
Who is the best Wu-Tang member? GZA
Optional: Raekwon or Ghostface? Tie preferred Rae when I was zounger but boz he fell off
Is Illmatic > Nas' whole life? Lol no, other artists would be so damn proud to have awesome records like Stillmatic, Lost Tapes and IWW in their discography
Who won? Nas or Nas? Cam'ron
Biggie or Pac? Pac
Lil B? Is he a genius or mentally challenged? mentally challenged genius
How do you feel about Macklemore? what is a macklemore
Best odds on coming out before you die: Dre's Detox, GZA's Liquid Swords 2, or Jay Electronica - whatever? Half Life 3

This thread title will be hard to top.

Shit's going to pop off when Oxymoron drops and steals the AOTY title away from Yeezus.

Roscoe's Wetsuit AOTY

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
You can never leave moooose... Overcast and I can't defend Q when Oxy drops by our lonesome.

One of us. One of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom