• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Journey releasing March 15th in JPN PSN (1200 yen)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Probably the game I'm most excited about that's coming out in the near-future.

Mœbius

Played this last week and what those people are indicating is true, at least for me; truly a touching and incredible game. The journey's end is just... heart swelling.

StuBurns

Banned
I probably shouldn't ask, but: Why? Did it irritate you more for Flowr than other games?
Yes, it did irritate me more than with other games. A few reasons really, but primarily I felt the backlash wasn't against the game itself, but the reception to the game and the 'art' debate it spurred.

It wasn't "Flower is a bad game" it was "Flower isn't art", or worse that Flower isn't a game at all. The complaints were for things beyond the control of TGC, and it felt like the game was unfairly punished because of it's fans responses.

If these games are art or not isn't relevant, what matters is if they're good games or not, and I don't think Flower's criticism was ever about it's quality as a game. I don't think that's the case with the other major backlashes.

Ra1den

I wonder how the encounter rate with other players is right now compared to when it will be officially released.

Played this last week and what those people are indicating is true, at least for me; truly a touching and incredible game. The journey's end is just... heart swelling.

I hold the wrong Masters degree to fully interpret the game fully. But man, such a unique experience. But this game is really gonna split the waters. This is their most gamey game yet, and having so many mechanics in it, is probably fooling a lot of people to think its a platformer with some existential stuff thrown in here and there when it's totally the other way around.

But fuck me I love how you can't sprint or anything. I. So love that it forces the player to move in a totally designer controlled pace, and not allow for any different way if play.

(and thanks a Jenova for making a game I can finish in two and a half hours, so appreciated and lovely)

jiggle

really can't wait to play this
flower is my favorite memory on ps3
this won't match it (already lose, visually)
but if it even come close
i'll be very happy

mollipen

I'm typically not the "If you own X hardware, you need to own Y game" type of person, but... if you own a PS3, you need to own Journey.

How long is this game going to be? because flower was pretty short. This game has taken 2 years to make

I finished it at around two hours and thirty minutes.
If you go for every trophy and all upgrades then we're talking a few more hours. But in general it's short, great and so so pretty.

Edit - The reasoning for it taking so long is probably due to it being a very small team making it.
And when all is said and done, I would rather take a three hour game that is truly great, rather then a game wi a lot of useless filler, that doesn't add anything to the experience.

They have tons of people from Sony, including Sony Santa Monica people, helping them frequently. Watch the credits scroll after the game.

It's not as if they have just started making their first ps3 game. Plus they are under the umbrella of sony santa monica studios.

3 hour game done in 2 year is just poor productivity and mismanagement in my opinion.

Or it's a artistic vision. Jenova Chen has been very vocal about the fact that he believes in games you can finish in a afternoon.

Ra1den

It's not as if they have just started making their first ps3 game. Plus they are under the umbrella of sony santa monica studios.

3 hour game done in 2 year is just poor productivity and mismanagement in my opinion.

Why does a long dev time bother you? If anything we should be praising them for taking their time and polishing the game to perfection.

StuBurns

Banned

Actually it's three years for three hours.

Not that it makes any difference. The only thing that really determines if it's mismanaged or not is it's critical performance, how that reflects on the platform, and it's commercial performance, how much profit it generates. I can't imagine this game won't easily break even, and easily be well received.

I wonder if Sony will be courting TGC for purchase now Ueda is bailing. Their art division is pretty much over, and this generation has kind of spurred a natural replacement of that by TGC, I imagine Sony would be tempted to lock that down if they could.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey

Would you be happy if they added a bunch of filler material and increased the length to 6-7 hours?

Why does a long dev time bother you? If anything we should be praising them for taking their time and polishing the game to perfection.

this, I understand if you're not happy with the length if it's a 60 dollar game. but this is a cheaper smaller game. probably cost a little more than a movie tickets

What? Were you expecting a talented small developer to roll out their completely new games on an Activision/Ubisoft/EA factory line schedule or something? Jesus christ. Get your expectations in line. They've got less than 20 employees and games don't develop or design themselves.

StuBurns

Banned
Orange Box came out before the digital version of Portal.
No, it didn't. You could buy every individual part of the Orange Box the day it came out. But even if that hadn't been the case, I don't see what difference that makes, I didn't say it came out first, or even at the same time.

Top Bottom