• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass shooting at the Mandalay Bay Las Vegas; 58 dead, 500+ injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you give 500 people a machine gun odds are 1 out of that 500 will want to use it to kill people for whatever reason is justified to them. What a sad world we live in where guns are so beloved, people dont see this. It is nkt a mental health issue most of the time either, it is anger at society, race, sex etc. Anger is the catalyist not brain chemicals. Either we get used to mass shooting or change our laws. Our laws will never change sk get used to saying pray for _____

mcfrank

You want me to elaborate on killing methods because you believe that without guns, it is not possible to kill 50+ people? My acid barrel thing is a joke, killing a lot of people with chemicals is not. I think if you are being rational, you understand that if someone has intent, even without guns, they can kill a lot of people. Guns are the most obvious form of potent weaponry, but after they're gone, I think you'll see that banning weapons does not remedy the situation

StrawMan2.jpg

III-V

the reason they don't use the other methods is because they want to see the horrific brutality of bullets ripping through bodies, blood, terror and the horrible sound that guns make.

FyreWulff

You want me to elaborate on killing methods because you believe that without guns, it is not possible to kill 50+ people? My acid barrel thing is a joke, killing a lot of people with chemicals is not. I think if you are being rational, you understand that if someone has intent, even without guns, they can kill a lot of people. Guns are the most obvious form of potent weaponry, but after they're gone, I think you'll see that banning weapons does not remedy the situation

Um.

After Oklahoma City, we introduced many strict regulations on the chemicals + fertilizer that McVeigh used to make the Ryder Truck Bomb. Manufacturers were required to add ingredients to their mixes that would make detonation harder and/or less powerful, and the sale of those chemicals and so on are tightly tracked.

We haven't had another Oklahoma City since then. We no longer let the general citizenry get access to the ability to do this to buildings:

URPaUN6l.jpg

Um.

After Oklahoma City, we introduced many strict regulations on the chemicals + fertilizer that McVeigh used to make the Ryder Truck Bomb. Manufacturers were required to add ingredients to their mixes that would make detonation harder and/or less powerful, and the sale of those chemicals and so on are tightly tracked.

We haven't had another Oklahoma City since then. We no longer let the general citizenry get access to the ability to do this to buildings:

URPaUN6l.jpg

My point is, although those regulations did mitigate some deaths by estimation, which I fully support, they certainly did not solve the mass-killing issue. Obviously gun control is something we know how to implement, and treating or possibly even preventing mental issues (that may have played a part in this vegas shooting) is not. But to me it is obvious that until we address the mental problem, we can do very little to prevent a lot of people from dying due to these types of things.

FyreWulff

My point is, although those regulations did mitigate some deaths by estimation, which I fully support, they certainly did not solve the mass-killing issue.

Because the methods to mass kill people still all haven't been clamped down on? It wasn't meant to solve gun mass killings, there was legitimately historically building-leveling bombs, especially against black churches, throughout history. People finally had enough after OKC. We haven't had a bomb attack with the destruction level of OKC since then. Not sure why this is hard to understand - as long as it's not a gun manufacturer we have to fight against, we've proven that regulation and control prevents the mass death tool from being re-used.

My point is, although those regulations did mitigate some deaths by estimation, which I fully support, they certainly did not solve the mass-killing issue. Obviously gun control is something we know how to implement, and treating or possibly even preventing mental issues (that may have played a part in this vegas shooting) is not. But to me it is obvious that until we address the mental problem, we can do very little to prevent a lot of people from dying due to these types of things.

You keep talking in these sweeping motions, arguing for completely solved solutions or dismissing anything short as insubstantial. But short of curing all forms of mental illness in the human population what specifically are you suggesting be done?

MUnited83

For you.
Yet seems to have worked fine with any other civilized country in existence.

Because the methods to mass kill people still all haven't been clamped down on? It wasn't meant to solve gun mass killings, there was legitimately historically building-leveling bombs, especially against black churches, throughout history. People finally had enough after OKC. We haven't had a mass-killing bomb event since then. Not sure why this is hard to understand - as long as it's not a gun manufacturer we have to fight against, we've proven that regulation and control prevents the mass death tool from being re-used.

And the the disturbed move onto different tools. I'm not arguing that the preventative measures made it harder to produce a bomb. Apparently according to you, that worked. I'm arguing that it did not solve the problem - at all. You can't seek to remove every way of killing people. That is a losing battle. Eventually you have to face the issue itself. It's not that what I'm saying is hard to understand.. but it is certainly hard to accept I think. A lot of work has to go into it, a lot has to change before we can help remedy this terrible trending problem, because we're used to locking away criminals and never having to understand about them. But that is archaic, we have to understand this behavior to control it

But short of curing all forms of mental illness in the human population what specifically are you suggesting be done?

I don't have the solution m8, but acknowledging the problem is better than avoiding it. Once you afford attention, solutions are at least possible

FyreWulff

And the the disturbed move onto different tools

Then let's go after those other tools. I'm not seeing the difficulty here, theoretically. We can't prevent every single killing but we can sure as hell make it harder. The current difficulty level is a fat ol' zero for someone wanting to do a mass killing via gun.

RDreamer

The situation to be remedied is humanity, honestly. You can't remedy that. We have all of human history to show that we are violent creatures and there are even more violent among us. We can mitigate things a bit through some societal help and we can mitigate by not allowing the everyday human the access to the most easy, effective killing tools, but aside from that you're not going to "remedy" the fact that we're still humans.

And the the disturbed move onto different tools.

Right. They move to less effective tools, which means lives are saved.

There's a reason every military in the fucking world largely uses guns. It's because they're the cheapest, most practical, easiest weapons to kill someone. There's really nothing of comparison at all. You can talk about chemicals or driving jeeps into people but again there's a reason the military isn't trying to drive jeeps into people or using chemicals for their everyday soldier instead of guns.

Sai-kun

Banned
'people will always find a way to mass murder other people so let's not take any steps ever guys just playing devils advocate here'

The situation to be remedied is humanity, honestly. You can't remedy that. We have all of human history to show that we are violent creatures and there are even more violent among us. We can mitigate things a bit through some societal help and we can mitigate by not allowing the everyday human the access to the most easy, effective killing tools, but aside from that you're not going to "remedy" the fact that we're still humans.

That's a defeatist attitude IMO, and I think it is peculiar that America seems to have a bigger issue with mental instability than other countries. It makes me think there are factors that go into us harboring so many of these types of people that we can change

'people will always find a way to mass murder other people so let's not take any steps ever guys just playing devils advocate here'

I've already said I support taking steps to further regulate guns, you're trying to apply an either/or fallacy on my perspective that is insincere. Please just discuss this without trying to character assassinate me, I'm not trying to peddle a narrative or play a role

lenovox1

His contention is that it's a societal problem and that reducing access to guns alone won't solve all issues.

Which... Okay? And? That's not something that anyone but a small few disagrees with.

From a public health standpoint, there is still a massive firearm access issue that has to be addressed.

RDreamer

That's a defeatist attitude IMO, and I think it is peculiar that America seems to have a bigger issue with mental instability than other countries. It makes me think there are factors that go into us harboring so many of these types of people that we can change

That's not defeatist at all.

And where is your proof that we harbor more of these types than anywhere else and not that we just give those types the tools to do more destruction than anywhere else?

Both mental health and gun culture can be dealt with at the same time, they aren't mutually exclusive issues.

lenovox1

And where is your proof that we harbor more of these types than anywhere else and not that we just give those types the tools to do more destruction than anywhere else?

With that point, no has ever studied it either way, as far as I know.

It would be nice if some organization did. You know, like the CDC or something. 🤔

FyreWulff

Statistically, China has almost as many people with a mental illness as the United States has people.

US Population: 323 million
China's population with mental illness, based off the amount of people with it as a % of their population in most other countries: 250 million

China does not have constant mass gun shootings. Mental health is not the issue.

lenovox1

Correct, but the outcry over this ITT and many others has been all about gun control, nothing about mental health. So the conversation has been a bit lacking to me

There has been no conversation about mental health for this specific incident because the assailant had no prior mental health history besides, maybe, anxiety.

Correct, but the outcry over this ITT and many others has been all about gun control, nothing about mental health. So the conversation has been a bit lacking to me
Well, the reason it's been all about gun control is because the factor leading to him being able to so easily kill so many people from such a far distance away is easy access to guns and ammunition.

While mental health could improve in the US, there's never going to be a way to eliminate the chance of someone going on a rampage. What you can do though, is restrict deadly weaponry so that it's hard as possible for them to perform mass murder.

There has been no conversation about mental health for this specific incident because the assailant had no prior mental health history besides, maybe, anxiety.

Oh damn, you're right. This guy was completely sane. My bad

While mental health could improve in the US, there's never going to be a way to eliminate the chance of someone going on a rampage. What you can do though, is restrict deadly weaponry so that it's hard as possible for them to perform mass murder.

Bam. Problem solved. Alright sounds good guys lets just ban guns then.

Everyone's sane until one day they're not.

That is certainly not true my friend

Getting a bit frustrated with the all the tunnel vision

Oh damn, you're right. This guy was completely sane. My bad
Everyone's sane until one day they're not.

That's why it makes more sense to discuss restricting guns/ammo rather than trying to thought police everyone.

Bam. Problem solved. Alright sounds good guys lets just ban guns then.

Getting a bit frustrated with the all the tunnel vision
I don't know why you're being sarcastic. It works.

I'm from the UK, I remember the Dunblane Massacre and the gun restrictions that followed.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Basically to assert that gun laws are not a potential effective solution to gun violence in American you’d have to explain away every other country’s gun violence and homicide statistics.

Until you manage to do so you’re arguing in bad faith.

GreatestHits seems content to rest on their laurels until the day mental illness - all mental illness - is "solved", and anyone focusing on gun control is apparently totally ignoring access to mental health treatment in this country.

I'm done responding to them. I see no evidence of good faith discussion there. Just diverting any calls for gun control into vague affirmations about mental health without a single actual recommendation, and they continue to ignore any evidence that gun control in other countries have been effective.

GreatestHits seems content to rest on their laurels until the day mental illness - all mental illness - is "solved", and anyone focusing on gun control is apparently totally ignoring access to mental health treatment in this country.

I'm done responding to them. I see no evidence of good faith discussion there. Just diverting any calls for gun control into vague affirmations about mental health without a single actual recommendation.
The point I was trying to get across to him, that he completely missed, is that a person who's mentally ill can seem completely normal until the day they snap.

Even with better mental health care, it doesn't solve the issue that weapons that can kill hundreds of people in minutes are available at your local walmart.

So I'm in a predicament where I need to borrow my father in laws truck for a couple of months. God damn if there is not an NRA sticker right on the back window. Fuck!
Obviously in a thread about the loss of life of 58 people my issue is not a big deal but come on.
I just don't look at a lot of people the same recently including the ones I've been close to for decades.

The point I was trying to get across to him, that he completely missed, is that a person who's mentally ill can seem completely normal until the day they snap.

Even with better mental health care, it doesn't solve the issue that weapons that can kill hundreds of people in minutes are available at your local walmart.

I'm not calling for "better mental healthcare". I'm saying we got a lot of people who want to kill everyone. Maybe there's something up with that. Maybe we can understand that and do something about it.

Wait a minute, he didn't chime in and say ban guns? To further our attempted movement? Fuck this guy... You guys are not going to accomplish something as culturally homogenous as a collective gun ban when you disregard with haste anything that doesn't align neatly to your goal

Alucrid

Banned
So I'm in a predicament where I need to borrow my father in laws truck for a couple of months. God damn if there is not an NRA sticker right on the back window. Fuck!
Obviously in a thread about the loss of life of 58 people my issue is not a big deal but come on.
I just don't look at a lot of people the same recently including the ones I've been close to for decades.

just tape a piece of paper over it

Following GreatestHits logic, why bother attempting to cure mental illness if it might not be 100% curable?

He/she is being purposefully dense.

Haly

There are cases of mass shootings in the US where mental health was definitively a red flag that would've been caught given better access/societal treatment of mental health. The Sandy Hook shooter's history with mental instability goes all the way back to his childhood years.

There was no such string of red flags for Paddock. As far as we're currently aware he slipped from functional citizen to mass murderer over the course of a year. No level of mental health initiative could catch this kind of divebomb unless we monitor everyone's minds stringently at all times. We don't even have the numbers of psychiatrists to support this; we'd need a population of therapists equaling or greater than that of dentists and this would still take a decade or more to put into place.

What we did have though, as a red flag, was his purchasing of some 33 firearms within a year. And, in a fatally ironic twist, it's because he bought rifles instead of handguns that no one saw the red flag:
I'm not calling for "better mental healthcare". I'm saying we got a lot of people who want to kill everyone. Maybe there's something up with that. Maybe we can understand that and do something about it.
Which do you think is easier, in terms of society building, overturning decades of culturally ingrained worship of violence and the military, or placing more stringent checks on guns?

In what world is unilaterally changing the culture of a nation (and, actually, multiple nations in the case of radicalization by foreign agents) more efficient than passing some laws and closing some loopholes?

Wait a minute, he didn't chime in and say ban guns? To further our attempted movement? Fuck this guy... You guys are not going to accomplish something as culturally homogenous as a collective gun ban when you disregard with haste anything that doesn't align neatly to your goal

What are the potential pros and cons of banning assault rifles (in your opinion)?

No level of mental health initiative could catch this kind of divebomb unless we monitor everyone's minds stringently at all times.

Although I'm not sure whether I agree or disagree with that broad statement, you're working with extremely limited facts here. I for one think that someone who shoots 500 people is going to have a few 'tells' as they say in poker. And we should probably start at least looking into it. You guys are sitting comfortably with the MSM assessment which they cobbled together in a few days, which is that this was a normal white dude with a gambling tendancy.

His brothers who live hundreds of miles away and do not talk to him never saw it coming. Wow. Insightful

Haly

Although I'm not sure whether I agree or disagree with that broad statement, you're working with extremely limited facts here. I for one think that someone who shoots 500 people is going to have a few 'tells' as they say in poker. And we should probably start at least looking into it. You guys are sitting comfortably with the MSM assessment which they cobbled together in a few days, which is that this was a normal white dude with a gambling tendancy.

His brothers who live hundreds of miles away and do not talk to him never saw it coming. Wow. Insightful

I don't want to get too personal here but you're working with a very shoddy and naive perception of mental health and also of mental health treatment. Nothing you've said makes me think you've ever stepped into the office of a therapist. This is par for the course when it comes to the topic of mental health in this country, really.

Excuse me if I don't consider your "insight" at all convincing or even plausible.

I don't want to get too personal here but you're working with a very shoddy and naive perception of mental health and also of mental health treatment. Nothing you've said makes me think you've ever stepped into the office of a therapist. This is par for the course when it comes to the topic of mental health in this country, really.

Excuse me if I don't consider your "insight" at all convincing or even plausible.

That's cool, I'm not a mental health expert, not sure what made you think you had to judge me like that. I'm saying let's as a country address this guy's mental issues instead of acting like the guns themselves killed 50 people.

Haly

Because if you had any idea of what goes into mental health this assertion...
I'm saying let's as a country address this guy's mental issues instead of acting like the guns themselves killed 50 people.
... would be laughably meaningless and nonsensical.

It is on par with people who, when confronted with someone who's suffering from clinical depression, says "it's all in your mind, just get over it." Maybe worse, actually.

That's cool, I'm not a mental health expert, not sure what made you think you had to judge me like that. I'm saying let's as a country address this guy's mental issues instead of acting like the guns themselves killed 50 people.

I don't understand why guns are so important to you.
I get that you think mental healthcare could somehow fix this.
I'm not even going to go into that.
But why do you think a gun ban shouldn't still occur if it lowers deaths?

It doesn't really matter if paddock would or would not have been stymied by gun regulations.

It's clearly possible for an unbalanced person to easily obtain a legal assault style rifle and a mod to make it shoot faster and ammunition in quantity and then find a crowded place and shoot for 5 minutes.

What else is there to say?
Regulate the militia. It's right there in the 2nd amendment: "highly regulated."

Right now it's a free for all.

Because if you had any idea of what goes into mental health this assertion...

... would be laughably meaningless and nonsensical.

It is on par with people who, when confronted with someone who's suffering from clinical depression, says "it's all in your mind, just get over it." Maybe worse, actually.

Whoa, what? I think you might be offended by my implication that there is a solution to his issues. I'm not saying we can set up cornerstores that you visit and cure your shit with a transaction, I'm saying we need to focus on his mental health problems as the instigator here and not guns

As someone who grew up with a father with some major mental health issues, you really have no fucking clue what you are talking about when it comes to how any of this works.

Like, do you know what it takes to get an adult to forcibly receive ANY mental evaluation/treatment against their will.

Whoa, what? I think you might be offended by my implication that there is a solution to his issues. I'm not saying we can set up cornerstores that you visit and cure your shit with a transaction, I'm saying we need to focus on his mental health problems as the instigator here and not guns

Want to humor me?
In your ideal America, how would this situation have been resolved?
Tell me how mental health support would have stopped this specific case.

Haly

Whoa, what? I think you might be offended by my implication that there is a [mental health] solution to his issues.

I actually am, because, again, it's neither realistic nor in line with my understanding of mental health which, while not exhaustive, is still pretty good for the layman.

I mean you might as well say ISIS is, at its heart, a mental health issue which while believable if you tilt your head and squint really hard, is completely fucking useless as an observation and foundation for legislative policy.

You're chasing delusions and fancies when there are perfectly workable, efficacious and tested real world solutions to gun violence.

I actually am, because, again, it's neither realistic nor in line with my understanding of mental health which, while not exhaustive, is still pretty good for the layman.

I mean you might as well say ISIS is, at its heart, a mental health issue which while believable if you tilt your head and squint really hard, is completely fucking useless as an observation and foundation for legislative policy.

Me: Let's look at mental health issues with mass murderers instead of focusing simply on their access to guns

Gaffer: "You're chasing delusions and fancies when there are perfectly workable, *efficacious* and tested real world solutions to gun violence

you might as well say ISIS is, at its heart, a mental health issue"

By the way, if ISIS is not a mental health issue, what is it? Bad guys?

Haly

By the way, if ISIS is not a mental health issue, what is it? Bad guys?

A complicated mix of religious history, the power vacuum left behind by Bush's War on Terror, economic instability in the Levant region, dissatisfaction of expatriates (there's your mental health bogeyman here) due to friction between historically monoethnic social groups, and cultural globalization.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom