• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen at gamescom 2015 - presentation livestream 8pm CEST Friday Aug 7

HighBigheartedAfricanaugurbuzzard.gif

Connie Explosion closeup from Twitch Stream

I love how the glass shatters when the Hornet crashes into it. Momentum appears to be conserved too.

KingKong

Dumb question, but are there aliens? Or enemy AI? Like the demo had what I assume two groups of people, are those just clans/guilds and you kind do what you want

And also was that derelict ship a type of thing that theyre populating the galaxy with or just a one off demo thing

Zalusithix

Dumb question, but are there aliens? Or enemy AI? Like the demo had what I assume two groups of people, are those just clans/guilds and you kind do what you want

And also was that derelict ship a type of thing that theyre populating the galaxy with or just a one off demo thing

There are three main alien species. The Banu, the Xi'an and the Vanduul. The first two of which are on more or less neutral terms with humanity. The Vanduul, on the other hand, are at war with humanity. So you'll have the Vanduul to deal with, along with NPC pirates, and whatever PVP throws at you. (Rates of contact for PVP within the PU is supposed to be user adjustable.)

Derelict ships are supposed to be a thing that'll happen in the PU. You'll also be able to salvage ship parts off the husks of dead ships. Obviously the ship in the event itself wasn't random though as the whole thing was staged.

Shy

Dumb question, but are there aliens? Or enemy AI?
Yes to both.
There are three alien races so far.
Like the demo had what I assume two groups of people, are those just clans/guilds and you kind do what you want
Yes.
Yes, there will be ships you can find in the game.

EDIT: beaten by Zalusithix. :_:

~Kinggi~

Banned
Finally watched this. I mean aside from the obvious presentation problems everything worked very well. They need to improve the animations and such that look real janky on the actual human models when transitioning but for the most part it worked. Im a little concerned however how structured the demo was, they clearly didnt want to do things too early or whatever as to not glitch it out. I mean if they are intending to release this soon it will need to not be restrictive. Just makes you worry this thing is gonna release so far away.

Finally watched this. I mean aside from the obvious presentation problems everything worked very well. They need to improve the animations and such that look real janky on the actual human models when transitioning but for the most part it worked. Im a little concerned however how structured the demo was, they clearly didnt want to do things too early or whatever as to not glitch it out. I mean if they are intending to release this soon it will need to not be restrictive. Just makes you worry this thing is gonna release so far away.

As long as it's a good game, who cares? You'd rather they rush it to release and have a ton of bugs in it? We already know that the PU is going to have bugs. Rushing it out to the public is the last thing anyone should want.

Burny

Why are no publications talking about Star Citizen post Gamescom?

I've seen a positive article on Gamestar (German PC magazine) and the positive Golem article I linked earlier.

If there is little perceivable hype elsewhere, I suspect it could have something to do with the game being still pretty far from a release nearly three years after the original kickstarter. Also, the way I perceived the Gamescom event, it seemed to be more geared towards showing backers lot's of WIP stuff and entertain them, rather than rally the press with trailers announcements and such. What was shown, despite looking splendid in gifs, was visibly unfinished and in parts janky after all. I've also had the impression (maybe wrongly?) that Gamescom had far less press attention then E3.

Zalusithix

Not enough negative things to write about for clickbait. ;)

I'm kind of fine with little to no coverage though. I'd prefer to see it when star marine and multi-crew modules are active. I feel like having more news about the future while the present is mostly the same as it has been will just fuel the "Scam!" type comments from the uninformed. Better to have the news when it's rolled out and you can point to it and say it's real.

KKRT00

There must be a lot of interviews incoming soon, because Chris said that he was giving interviews for two days straight.

Zalusithix

Ok gaf, I finally gave in to the hype and bought starter pack. I'm a citizen now :p

Now to join the GAF Org and and insert yourself into the roster sheet! (Details below)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
To join the NeoGAF Star Citizen Org: [Sign up]
(please include your GAF name in the message)
Quote this to see the link to the roster spreadsheet and add your details.

Daedardus

It's because respectable websites like Polygon and Kotaku have high journalist standards to maintain and they don't report on obvious scam projects like these.

Honestly, no idea. I think the doomsday reporting has wore thin but many outlets don't want to do a 180 yet until the social and fps module get released. Coming next month will probably garner more attention from hands on gameplay.

Pafnucy

Now to join the GAF Org and and insert yourself into the roster sheet! (Details below)

All right, thanks. Now the long wait for the release...

I was planning to wait with purchase until at least Squadron 42 is released. But after the gamescom videos I said fuck it, I just might buy it now as well.

Burny

Honestly, no idea. I think the doomsday reporting has wore thin but many outlets don't want to do a 180 yet until the social and fps module get released. Coming next month will probably garner more attention from hands on gameplay.

More like: They won't do a 180, until there is a reason to. While SC is about one of the most ambituous video games there is and certainly not the scam uninformed sensationalist people make it out to be, it's also far from being a polished releasable game. If the demos shown at Gamescom are any indication: very far. The groundwork is getting there, finally, but there is a whole game to build around that groundwork. What was shown, while technically impressive, went not too far beyond a very poorly presented tech demo by industry standards.

I suspect that a rollercoaster ride trailer for Squadron 42 together with a solid release date would've probably made far more of an impression on the non enthusiast press, than the message: "We're breaking new ground and our tech is finally getting there (in 2016 maybe)", nearly three years after the kickstarter.

Zalusithix

man that $150 LTI retaliator is hard to pass up even if it is bare bones

Just within the recorded part of our Org, we're up to 4 of them now. Compare that to the single traditional Retaliator we had before that. Between the cost reduction (if you don't plan on using the torpedoes) and the fact that it's more versatile now than it was before, it is indeed a lot more attractive as a ship.

Trogdor1123

All aboard the inevitable disappointment train. Game still looks amazingly shoddy and a glorified tech demo.

Im no fan of the game (im not against it, just not for me) but I really disagree with this. It looks great and they have been pretty open with their progress... it wont reach expectations because NOTHING could reach what people want it to be but it will likely be really well done just the same.

Zalusithix

Im no fan of the game (im not against it, just not for me) but I really disagree with this. It looks great and they have been pretty open with their progress... it wont reach expectations because NOTHING could reach what people want it to be but it will likely be really well done just the same.

That's the beauty of it though. Even if it only manages to fulfill half of those expectations, it'll still possibly be the best game ever in the genre. "Possibly" only because of the existence of Elite which is still evolving in its own right.

Trogdor1123

That's the beauty of it though. Even if it only manages to fulfill half of those expectations, it'll still possibly be the best game ever in the genre. "Possibly" only because of the existence of Elite which is still evolving in its own right.

Im not going to make any claims like this at all as I think there are lots of great space games out there but I will agree that it has potential to be an excellent game for those interested.

Top Bottom