• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Livestream | Today @ 9PM CEST / 3pm EDT / 12pm PDT

bee

saw the length of the demo and thought i'd be skipping through it, watched the whole thing and it felt like 10mins, probably the best live demo i've ever seen, amazing stuff. the people who can watch something like that and still focus on the negatives make me laugh

uYyi6cD.jpg

orava

Overhyping is a dangerous thing but fortunately we actually see and try what they are doing with the game. With No Man's Sky, we just had to blindly trust what Sean was saying. I wonder how much different nms would have been if it also would have had a early access type development style.

Tomeru

Comparisons between nms and sc... Yeah ok. Much logic. Very honest.

Its very impressive though. VERY impressive.

Not like this.

Gothos

I don't even want to think what computer is gonna be needed to run this at decent frame rate/graphics settings.

Tomeru

I don't even want to think what computer is gonna be needed to run this at decent frame rate/graphics settings.

You probably have a few more years until you can play this game like in its final form, so you'll have strong hardware by then.

DMTripper

Who's building a new computer system for this?

lol

Not a new system but definitely a new graphics card. Deciding if I wanna really splash out and get a 1070 or play it more safe (with the missus) and get a 1060.

Dont even know ow if I can get a 1070 I my case yet :-/

cackhyena

I don't follow this game, but that presentation got me. Have they given a time frame for release at all? Wondering if my 3570k/980ti combo would even have a snowballs chance.

KKRT00

I don't follow this game, but that presentation got me. Have they given a time frame for release at all? Wondering if my 3570k/980ti combo would even have a snowballs chance.

Yep, this should be fine for Medium/High settings for 1080@60.

----

I'm amazed that we have finally SC thread without a single 'its a scam' drive-by post. Though after this presentation, it should be given :)

RK9039

Yep, this should be fine for Medium/High settings for 1080@60.

----

I'm amazed that we have finally SC thread without a single 'its a scam' drive-by post. Though after this presentation, it should be given :)

Yeah, no one can really say that anymore after that demo. As soon as the Freelancer started getting closer to the planet and landed, without any loading or issues, people realised that this game isn't a joke. Some people tried trolling in the chat but they were quickly silenced when the gameplay got interesting.

Can't wait for CitizenCon now.

Wtf. This game. This is the best demo I've ever seen. Hands down. Is 3.0 available for backers?

No I think that's a ways out. Open is currently 2.4 and PTU is 2.5

So you need a whole pile of human players to fly one of those things?

If they can't be bought in game how do you get them?

No you can hire NPC crew for basic functions. Players can do a better job but for many tasks NPC's will be just fine.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
I've given up trying to download the gamescon free download.

screenshot_391.jpg

Looks like this tool uses torrent/p2p downloading. Browser and Steam connection stop working.

Had to reboot the router too.

Terrible software.

danthefan

Is the stuff in the demo playable at all or will it be soon? Sorry if asked and answered.

I backed this game but sort of wrote it off and stopped paying attention.

RK9039

So you need a whole pile of human players to fly one of those things?

If they can't be bought in game how do you get them?

You can hire AI crewman.

I'm pretty sure Capital ships are purchasable in-game, all ships should be, but it's not something a single player can do on his own I'm guessing because it will be expensive.

red36

Neo Member

screenshot_391.jpg

Looks like this tool uses torrent/p2p downloading. Browser and Steam connection stop working.

Terrible software.

It's always been pretty smooth for me. probably Has to do with all the new ppl downloading.

Is the stuff in the demo playable at all or will it be soon? Sorry if asked and answered.

The stuff from the demo is coming in 2.7, now retitled 3.0 currently we are on 2.4 with 2.5 coming out next week. then 2.6 with luck after citizencon. following that will be 2.7/3.0 which i wouldn't bet on coming out til maybe early 2017 giving a pessimist guess.

screenshot_391.jpg

Terrible software.

It only uses p2p if you allow it to. The steam stopping responding and browsers stopping is because it is completely maxing out your connection. Throttle it down from "hyperspace" connection settings to something just below your actual internet speed. The problem with the client is actually that it is too fast.

KKRT00

screenshot_391.jpg

Terrible software.

There is a setting that limits download speed. Yes, it can kill your connection on Unlimited :)
Its a recurring joke that even launcher is demanding :p

----

The 3.0 Alpha, which what they showed, will be playable in December or late November. It will be also in better shape than they showed.

gamma

So are they going to going to work on the flight model or is it going to stay like this? Cause the ships still look like they have zero weight.

You can hire AI crewman.

I'm pretty sure Capital ships are purchasable in-game, all ships should be, but it's not something a single player can do on his own I'm guessing because it will be expensive.

I'm not so sure about the cap ships. I remember Roberts saying something along the lines of there being a limit on how many can exist and that you'd be either finding it or taking it by force or something along those lines.

Ooh man i never had that many wtf per minute with a live demo ever.
Shiieeet need to get a new GPU.

Is there a video that shows what Star Citizen is all about?

RE4PRR

My SLI 1080s keep this game a perfect 60fps at 3440x1440 with max settings in the Arena Commander, but the way they have their Servers atm the fps is terrible, something that Chris touched upon in the stream. Someone OC'd a Titan XP at my res and wasn't able to hit 60fps. So if you want it to look like the stream etc you need the GPU power to back it up. Although if you were at 1440p or lower you'd manage lol.

Really looks spectacular though, what they show is 100% what you can get on your system in it's current state.

I'll properly check it out with 3.0 which will be out before the end of the year.

When this game releases, we'll have moved on from "See that tower way in the distance? You can go there!" to "See that other side of the planet? You can go there!"

It's still seems so unreal to me that a game of this caliber and scale is actually going to be made and released.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Holy shit, that whole planet entry sequence? This is really starting to come together, it seems.

Holy shit, that whole planet entry sequence? This is really starting to come together, it seems.
It took massive balls also to do something this complex live. So many variables, so many potential bugs from intermeshing systems... and we only saw one obvious visual bug.

Citizencon and procedural planets 2.0 should be rather interesting. Same with the SQ42 stuff we shall see. I imagine a full gameplay demo and final release date :D

fresquito

I'm a backer, but I honestly don't follow that much. I have a feew questions, I hope someone can answer:

- 2.4.1 allows landing? I'm guessing not.
- Are there planets with vegetation/wild creatures?
- Is the PU still holding back performance (going by this demo, it seems so, but you never know when it's a stream). Last time I checked, it was 20ish for me, no matter the setting.
- Are controls improved over 2.0 and before? I mean character control, no ship control.

Thanks in advance. That demo looked super impressive and also very much fun (because coop).

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

Is there a video that shows what Star Citizen is all about?

You should start here: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/about-the-game/spaceflight

I'm a backer, but I honestly don't follow that much. I have a feew questions, I hope someone can answer:

- Is the PU still holding back performance (going by this demo, it seems so, but you never know when it's a stream). Last time I checked, it was 20ish for me, no matter the setting.
- Are controls improved over 2.0 and before? I mean character control, no ship control.

Thanks in advance. That demo looked super impressive and also very much fun (because coop).

You can land on a few space stations in 2.4.1 but there are no planetary landings. That's set for 3.0 at the end of this year.
There will be vegetation and animals on planets but not yet. They're supposedly working on it, though.
The servers are still holding back performance in the PU, yes.
I'm not sure what you're asking about character control. It's basically the same. I guess we'll get more stuff like leaning in the 2.6 update a couple months from now -- that update will bring the Star Marine FPS module.

KKRT00

Landing on planets will be possible with 3.0 Alpha.
There will be planets with vegetation and creatures, maybe not in 3.0 Alpha, but definitely at the beginning of the next year. They are working on biomes right now and they will showcase them on CitizenCon in October. They are aiming at Crysis 3 fidelity in terms of planetary visuals.

Character controls improved a lot and will improve further with 2.6.
Yes, the server PU performance is still holding games back. It will improve in 3.0, but we dont know to what degree. They are working on rewritting netcode to handle full solar system, so it takes time.

Top Bottom