• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen at gamescom 2015 - presentation livestream 8pm CEST Friday Aug 7

If they ever make a spectator camera they should add a Jared mode.

It will figure out whose camera has an enemy / friend / shiny thing targeted, rotate 90 degrees away, and then do a nice dissolve to it. :)

Poor Jared - managing liveswitching between that many cameras, with all of them independently controlled, etc... that'd be rough.

Derek Smart, Derek Smart, Derek Smart... hopefully he well show up here now. Used to work back on Smothingawful, Sugashack and Slashdot.. dude is the Candyman

he won't show, after that demo derek smart is frantically trying to get his star citizenship back. no time for trolling

TheMAK

Banned
Less than 3 years. And putting any stock into what Smart says is..yeah.

That said, it is healthy to be sceptic. But it is also healthy to admit when something is amazing, and this demo very much was.

Demo was amazing. But the first ever trailer when the Kickstarter was launched was amazing too...:-(

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
And that, Derek Smart, is where the money has gone.

Demo was amazing. But the first ever trailer when the Kickstarter was launched was amazing too...:-(

good job on successfully trolling the thread; very commendable

The first trailer was a trick and I'm still not happy about it. They mocked up three models and a basic engine, made it look like some basic work on the game had been done so people would throw money at it, and then scrapped all of it.

Today's demo was not a trick, though. I believe him when he says that they got their zone system working and their multicrew gameplay installed. What we saw is the game we'll all play eventually. (I just hope they don't find some silly reason to scrap it all again, but thankfully it feels a little late in the game to do such a thing.)

tuxfool

Banned

Sure, it is fine not to be convinced. I don't think anybody is asking for your allegiance, just not come into SC threads to start some shit, as some are wont to do (not you, ofc).

All these modules form part of the same games yes?

They're rolling out modules as they are developed/completed. Right now, Arena Commander (the "dogfighting module") lets you fly and shoot in multiplayer, single-crew space battles. Soon (we hope) to come will be Planetside (the "social module") and Star Marine (the "FPS module").

Eventually, all of these will be part of the Persistent Universe, which is the big, fly-around-the-galaxy while trading and shooting and etc. that people tend to compare to EVE/Elite.

The stream today was the first real look at multi crew ships being piloted and fighting, which has been what many of us were waiting to see!

Grief.exe

2018 probably.

Apparently the wiki is outdated.

Squadron 42

Approximate date: Beginning of 2015.
Will be released as polished chapters/episodes

Persistent Universe Module / Beta

Approximate date: End of 2015(a minimum of 4 months after the first Squadron 42 chapter is released.)

injurai

Banned
I wish them luck resolving the animation issues. A lot of this game is looking really good. Once they get past all those technical implementation issues it will be smooth sailing focusing on content.

I foresee this game having some insane post launch support for years to come. It's only been indev for 2 years and normally we don't see any of this out in the open. But it looks really great and has come a long way.

Also Thanks Jared.

Fresh off the press. This was demonstrated live at a much slower pace showing off all the systems and what not during the live stream. This is a well cut direct feed version.
Link to 1080p Version from PCGamesN

Things you can see in the video:
-Localized physical grids: station has its own gravity, emptiness of space does, inside ships you have your own physics, etc..
- Zone system: no lag and no unecessary rendering
- Huge world: solar system sized map (here just a tiny portion of it
- Multi crew gameplay: multiple people on a ship doing different roles 8command chair, engineer, co commander, gunners
- Retrieve, Recovery, and EVA: go out of your ship into the void, board other ships, get them in working order for missions
- IDRIS

Mylene

HighBigheartedAfricanaugurbuzzard.gif

Connie Explosion closeup from Twitch Stream

Spuck-uk

Banned
All aboard the inevitable disappointment train. Game still looks amazingly shoddy and a glorified tech demo.

Top Bottom