• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Livestream | Today @ 9PM CEST / 3pm EDT / 12pm PDT

Mindlog

Wow, thank you.

Instead of lowering myself to your level, which would require having to wear diapers [;)] - I'm going to ask a serious question:

To be able to play this, what will I need to upgrade to, PC wise; or will one of those Alienware console devices suffice?

Also, when is this game expected to release?
I'll raise myself to your level and point you towards an entire thread dedicated to that very topic.
"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

tuxfool

Banned
Yeah unfortunately it seems at this point the Neo will have essentially the same cpu as the PS4 (guess we will find out soon for sure though).

I can definitely see a version of Star Citizen eventually hitting more powerful consoles however, theyre just too big a market to ignore forever. I wouldn't be surprised if Squadron 42 made it to console reasonably quickly after release in fact, that should be easier to accomplish on the current platforms.

For sure. Possibly on a Scorpio, but that also has parity requirements.

More likely it will be the generation after.

I'm not a backer? I mean, I haven't bought the game or anything yet, only signed up on the website many months ago.
you'll need to make a new account then.

Jeffrey

Demo was nice. I've not followed the game at all, so definitely didn't get any of the 'injokes' of random stuff that people were cheering for.

Is this suppose to be a 'casual' game or something more hardcore on the side of Elite dangerous or old X games?

Tech side is amazing, but the gameplay displayed seem fairly 'standard AAA game'. Interact with stuff with button prompt, iron sight shootie.

tuxfool

Banned
Demo was nice. I've not followed the game at all, so definitely didn't get any of the 'injokes' of random stuff that people were cheering for.

Is this suppose to be a 'casual' game or something more hardcore on the side of Elite dangerous or old X games?

Tech side is amazing, but the gameplay displayed seem fairly 'standard AAA game'. Interact with stuff with button prompt, iron sight shootie.

This is definitely aimed to be a hardcore space sim with things like power management etc. FPS is aimed to be a bit more like ARMA-lite, which this demo definitely didn't show apart from the clip management and aim stability.

Also as they noted, this demo doesn't have the more systemic elements of the game.

If you can't see the irony of getting so hyped on SC's marketing that you (continually, and crassly) need to bring up the NMS team's "lies," then I'm not sure I can explain it to you.

I just want a game like this - everything No Man's Sky promised and then some [with photo-real graphics] and is the ultimate space/Science-Fiction game simulation.

That's all I'm asking for.

golem

This is definitely aimed to be a hardcore space sim with things like power management etc. FPS is aimed to be a bit more like ARMA-lite, which this demo definitely didn't show apart from the clip management and aim stability.

Also as they noted, this demo doesn't have the more systemic elements of the game.
I think they are definitely trying to make it approachable though. Both players were using console controllers and of course Chris Roberts' lineage is Wing Commander and its successors. Of course if you master the intricacies of system management and the flight model (whoa: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTqFyYg46-Y ) you will have an advantage over other players but I think most people should be able to do fine with just a basic knowledge of space shooting and CoD'ing.

Gameplay wise this is skewing more to the casual side. The flight model and combat right now are about as far away from the depth of Elite as you can get.

tuxfool

Banned
I think they are definitely trying to make it approachable though. Both players were using console controllers and of course Chris Roberts' lineage is Wing Commander and its successors. Of course if you master the intricacies of system management and the flight model (whoa: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTqFyYg46-Y ) you will have an advantage over other players but I think most people should be able to do fine with just a basic knowledge of space shooting and CoD'ing.

Oh, sure. I don't think making it approachable means dumbing it down though, There is a compromise but the two aren't mutually exclusive.

e: yeah that guy is really good at flying decoupled. You do need 6DOF to do it well though.

Grief.exe

Gameplay wise this is skewing more to the casual side. The flight model and combat right now are about as far away from the depth of Elite as you can get.

Elite is nuts.

People turn of the automatic flying and take full control over all directional thrusts. One of those games where you have velocity in a certain direction, you can completely flip 360 and fire behind you without slowing your velocity vector.

Nuts.

No. Both have completely different flight models. Elite uses a WW2 in space system, meaning it doesn't really behave like a space sim at all. SC uses a Newtonian system which is technically the correct way to do it. If anything Elite is the casual mode scientifically.

I like Elite's flight model to be clear, but let's not pretend that it's even remotely realistic and to actually make it any fun you need to turn off the default settings.

Mifec

I...what...

h0LjtCP.gif

i cant even begin to imagine the shit storm that would occur if they mentioned that this game would be coming to the consoles lol

i cant even begin to imagine the shit storm that would occur if they mentioned that this game would be coming to the consoles lol

They never actually ruled it out. They just said it would come if a console that can handle it arrives, and only after it's at least far along on PC. Makes sense to be honest and I wouldn't be surprised if it eventually makes it's way to whatever the next gen is (beyond Neo, maybe Scorpio but long after it's launch)

"No. Both have completely different flight models. Elite uses a WW2 in space system, meaning it doesn't really behave like a space sim at all. SC uses a Newtonian system which is technically the correct way to do it. If anything Elite is the casual mode scientifically."

"Scientifically" means nothing, because scientifically, no one would be dogfighting in space.

Both Elite and Star Citizen have gameplay systems that trivialize actual ship piloting and make dogfighting fairly simplistic (lol gimbals).

"No. Both have completely different flight models. Elite uses a WW2 in space system, meaning it doesn't really behave like a space sim at all. SC uses a Newtonian system which is technically the correct way to do it. If anything Elite is the casual mode scientifically."

"Scientifically" means nothing, because scientifically, no one would be dogfighting in space.

Both Elite and Star Citizen have gameplay systems that trivialize actual ship piloting and make dogfighting fairly simplistic (lol gimbals).

Always a valid thing to point out. Lol.

Until MS and Sony abandon the shitty AMD APUs, this game will not come out for consoles at all.

https://youtu.be/fvyIMbImjQU

Here's the game running on a 390 and AMD 8350. The Scorpio/Neo could come somewhat close to that. I mean a bit below as it will be closer to the RX 480. But I mean I just don't see it happening unless Microsoft or Sony partners with them anyway.

Honestly the vast majority or the performance woes are server based. Although once you start getting tons of ships including larger ones and on board larger battles then I'm not sure how it wouldn't handle it.

That's only in arena commander though, not the PU which is where performance will really suffer.

I was still adding stuff when you responded but I mean it is scalable to an extent. I wouldn't say it's impossible for the new consoles to run it though. I just don't know if it will be up to standards for a console release for a long time.

I wouldn't disagree either, I just find it completely oversimplifies things to try and elevate one as superior to the other when both are not only shooting for different targets but taking inspiration from entirely different premises of physics. I mean realistically, we'd be blowing each other apart from thousands, if not millions of miles away like you say, dogfighting would have no place.

It was probably a little OTT way of saying it, but my main intention was to point out that both have very different aims. Regardless, I'd argue that SC has a much more accurate flight system to what science would expect than Elite's, at the least until you turn FA off. That's not say one is better though, even if one were more realistic it essentially comes down to preference. To clarify as well, I still have a number of issues with the flight model in SC too.

Link

Wow, what a great article!

I learned a lot about Star Citizen and it has made me even more excited for this game!

Roberts is extremely passionate about this project! That gives me hope :)

Zalusithix

""Scientifically" means nothing, because scientifically, no one would be dogfighting in space.

Yep, the harsh reality is that none of this stuff would ever exist, and the future that would happen is anything but fun from a game perspective. As such, it's all about what rules of physics you want to bend, and what ones you want to outright break. You can like or dislike a game's direction, but ultimately they're all wrong from the standpoint of reality. Some perhaps moreso than others, but it doesn't really matter when the goal is to create an experience that's fun - which is a subjective thing.

Walpurgis

Banned
I have always been interested in this game but it's so big that I don't even know where to begin. I think I've asked a few times but I either forgot or never really figured it out.

Anyways, is there a summary video of what this game is and why it's so hype?

I'm most interested in the political/sandbox aspects. I think this is EVE Online but instead of spreadsheets as an actual game (that's why I am hyped). Is that right?

I wouldn't disagree either, I just find it completely oversimplifies things to try and elevate one as superior to the other when both are not only shooting for different targets but taking inspiration from entirely different premises of physics. I mean realistically, we'd be blowing each other apart from thousands, if not millions of miles away like you say, dogfighting would have no place.

It was probably a little OTT way of saying it, but my main intention was to point out that both have very different aims. Regardless, I'd argue that SC has a much more accurate flight system to what science would expect than Elite's, at the least until you turn FA off. That's not say one is better though, even if one were more realistic it essentially comes down to preference. To clarify as well, I still have a number of issues with the flight model in SC too.

To be fair Elite has a much smaller layer to go past in terms of getting full ship control, there is FA on and FA off which is full thrust and counter thrust so you can fly like it's Battlestar: Galactica changing orientation without changing vector.

SC may have a newtonian model but it's underneath a tonne of flight assists that are there too defeat it. Haven't played in a while but off the top of my head we have:

Coupled
G-Safe
ESP
COMSTAB (command stability or anti-drift).

All of which are to make it more like flying an airplane and not full control over the ship. There is the problem of COMSTAB never being fully off even when disabled so there is minor thrust correction even when you try to make a sharper turn. That and the G limits being completely arbitrary and frankly a mess at this point without much simulation in terms what humans can take. Yeah ED may not have the underlying numbers like SC but I definitely feel I can get more direct control over the ship's movement than in SC.

I have always been interested in this game but it's so big that I don't even know where to begin. I think I've asked a few times but I either forgot or never really figured it out.

Anyways, is there a summary video of what this game is and why it's so hype?

I'm most interested in the political/sandbox aspects. I think this is EVE Online but instead of spreadsheets as an actual game (that's why I am hyped). Is that right?

Kind of. I don't really know what links to pull up but here's what I remember being said about the economics. Basically economics will not be completely breakable as in you won't be able to bankrupt a planet, but you can really mess with a system even as a single player with enough effort, or at least that's their aim. Economic changes will have knock on effects of course, and even some directly visible ones. As a planet's economy plummets it will become more run down visually, it's something they've been planning for a long time.

I'd imagine certain systems will likely be dominated by certain player organizations too which should effect economies in interesting ways and open up ways to abuse it too. This is what's intended, but it's yet to be implemented to see how deep it could run. I'd harbor any expectations of battles quite the size of EVE though as it has to be instanced to avoid being a spreadsheet game. From the latest stream though, they're planning to start increasing player counts after 3.0 so we should begin to get an idea of the possible battle sizes sometime next year hopefully.

To be fair Elite has a much smaller layer to go past in terms of getting full ship control, there is FA on and FA off which is full thrust and counter thrust so you can fly it's Battlestar: Galactica changing orientation without changing vector.

SC may have a newtonian model under neath the tonne of flight assists that are there too defeat it. Haven't played in a while but off the top of my head we have:

Coupled
G-Safe
ESP
COMSTAB (command stability or anti-drift).

All of which are to make it more like flying an airplane and not full control over the ship. There is the problem of COMSTAB never being fully off even when disabled so there is minor thrust correction even when you try to make a sharper turn. That and the G limits being completely arbitrary and frankly a mess at this point without much simulation in terms what humans can take. Yeah ED have the underlying numbers like SC but I definitely feel I can get more direct control over the ship's movement than in SC.

I haven't completely dug into the latest flight model but the last time I gave it a good testing out I had a similar issue. FA off in Elite is great, and it's something I've wanted fully implemented into SC for a while as well. Come to think of it, they're both a bit odd in that SC is closer to FA off by defualt with Elite's FA on being very restricting, but FA off offers more freedom to the pilot than decoupling does in SC even with all assists off. If they'd simply make decoupling work like FA off would be ideal.

Grief.exe

Kind of. I don't really know what links to pull up but here's what I remember being said about the economics. Basically economics will not be completely breakable as in you won't be able to bankrupt a planet, but you can really mess with a system even as a single player with enough effort, or at least that's their aim. Economic changes will have knock on effects of course, and even some directly visible ones. As a planet's economy plummets it will become more run down visually, it's something they've been planning for a long time.

These guys need to learn when to say no.

Walpurgis

Banned

I'd imagine certain systems will likely be dominated by certain player organizations too which should effect economies in interesting ways and open up ways to abuse it too. This is what's intended, but it's yet to be implemented to see how deep it could run. I'd harbor any expectations of battles quite the size of EVE though as it has to be instanced to avoid being a spreadsheet game. From the latest stream though, they're planning to start increasing player counts after 3.0 so we should begin to get an idea of the possible battle sizes sometime next year hopefully.

I haven't completely dug into the latest flight model but the last time I gave it a good testing out I had a similar issue. FA off in Elite is great, and it's something I've wanted fully implemented into SC for a while as well. Come to think of it, they're both a bit odd in that SC is closer to FA off by defualt with Elite's FA on being very restricting, but FA off offers more freedom to the pilot than decoupling does in SC even with all assists off. If they'd simply make decoupling work like FA off would be ideal.

God damn. This sounds too good to be true. After One Man's Lie, I will try to control my hype but I know these guys have the money...

Top Bottom