• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Livestream | Today @ 9PM CEST / 3pm EDT / 12pm PDT

jett

D-Member
That was a seriously impressive demo. Only thing I would say looked kinda bad was shooting in general. And a couple of weird nitpicks like how the MC never took off his helmet even when there's oxygen (what a waste!) and the fully-functioning elevator: how's that going to work in an MMO environment? People are just gonna have to wait around for the thing to come back down? :p

And yet I have my reservations. Is it a proper, full-fledged WoW-like MMO? Can they actually deliver that? When's this even coming out? As impressive as the demo, it looked really early. 2018?

Fucking shit!!

This...

...this is the space game I've been wanting!

Fuck "One Man's Lies" - this game delivers on all promises and looks gorgeously, photo-realistic!

Give me a PS4 Neo release and I'm sold.

Sean Murray will strike a child after seeing that presentation ;)

TDLink

Fucking shit!!

This...

Fuck "One Man's Lies" - this game delivers on all promises and looks gorgeously, photo-realistic!

This game is not possible to achieve on a console. Just look at what they're doing. You'll need a good gaming PC, no ports possible.

Unstable

Fucking shit!!

This...

>_>
<_<
o_o

Should we tell him?

I was thinking about this, and I'd like to propose a mental experiment.

Envision your best guess "finish date" for each of the systems below. My personal, very optimistic guesses are in bold. I'm buying entirely into the "exponential" argument and taking the 3.0 EOY estimate as fact.

Note: a system is "finished" to me when each planet with a landing zone in that system can be visited.

Start Point - Alpha 3.0 (According to Chris Roberts): EOY 2016

Stanton: June 2017 (+6 months)

Stanton+1: November 2017 (+5 Months)

Stanton+2: February 2017 (+3 Months)

Stanton+N: +0.5 Months (2 Per Month)

Stanton+N^2: +0.25 Months (4 Per Month)

With 100 systems, this timeline places the last completed star system: August 2020 (+4 Years From Now)

If you think about it as a series of milestones and not an abstract concept, I think it becomes easier to understand why this will take time, and I'm all but certain that my estimates above are optimistic. I'd love to see what dates you believe make sense, too.

This is the entire point of my post. On a technical level to ensure how a system should work and interact with the the elements within only one needs to be working as a template for other systems. The other systems and landing zones are only a term of asset creation.

Like I stated in my post before, there are more assets closer to completion than has been released. Generic landing bases can be made off of templates of existing design. This is why I am pointing out the assumptions that each systems will take months to complete (as if they have to reinvent the wheel) makes no sense.

If the mechanics are nailed down after the first system is complete and unique assets created for landing zones, what exactly is taking the RSI team years to release? Why would you think so? I am not talking in abstracts, when we talk about milestones, the milestones are for the template to get one system up and running. What is sounding abstract is the time you are giving for each other system.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
>_>
<_<
o_o

Should we tell him?
post-63264-Frozen-Im-gonna-tell-him-dont-epBD.gif

Stiler

loved the Rover and dragon fly bits, and I hope they can get enough of these kinds of quests where you actually interact with an npc and have some story presence to it that it doesn't get to be repetitive to do the same types of things.

I just wish that the TTK part with the fps combat was shorter, enemies look a bit too "bullet spongey" for me.

Newboi

I'm watching the gameplay demonstration right now and I'm truly stunned. I can't even put in to words how amazing Star Citizen is shaping up to be. This game will ruin lives!

molnizzle

It's a persistent collect of video game features coming online for a video game that's in active development and has a public alpha branch.

ok but

is it ever going to just be one video game that you download and play, or is it always going to be a bunch of "modules" or whatever? The way Star Citizen is set up really is confusing.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Fucking shit!!

This...

I keep seeing posts like this and its annoying as fuck. Truth of the matter is this was a closed stage demo that at numerous points you can literally feel the terror of the presenters avoiding to do something wrong that makes the whole thing fall apart. Basically the nature of in-dev shit.

Point being lets all wait and see when that thing is actually out in reality with real world computers and netcode. Sure it looks nice when they are presenting it with cinematic movement and camera switching, but seeing people already concluding this has delivered on its promises or something is not reality at all.

golem

I just wish that the TTK part with the fps combat was shorter, enemies look a bit too "bullet spongey" for me.

Yeah the enemies looked sort of spongy to me as well, although not sure what kind of armor the player was facing and the if type of ammo he was using was appropriate for the encounter. All this stuff should be getting a thorough testing once 2.6 and Star Marine comes out however.

ok but

is it ever going to just be one video game that you download and play, or is it always going to be a bunch of "modules" or whatever? The way Star Citizen is set up really is confusing.

You will be able to do everything you saw in this video in one play session theoretically in a few months when Alpha 3.0 drops.

Currently the games under development consist of:

Squadron 42- The single player, Wing Commander like stand alone game

Star Citizen- The multiplayer mmo that was demonstrated today

Within Star Citizen the game download also includes two modules/mini games-
Arena Commander, a minigame consisting of space combat levels and ship racing
and
Star Marine, a minigame consisting of multiplayer fps levels (not yet released)

So you get Star Citizen, itself the proper online game, and two mini game modes with it. But the single player game Squadron 42 is a standalone product.

Hope that clears up the confusion.

Kyoufu

Fucking shit!!

This...

This is the most entertaining post I've read all year.

SpeedWeed

Neo Member
This will be the game to end all games when it's eventually fully released. Its just going to take a long time, I understand that. But the progress they have made shown in that demo is absolutely breathtaking. They are doing things that have never been done before, let alone attempted.

tuxfool

Banned
ok but

Star Citizen will be. Then there is squadron 42 which is just the single player game.

Banned
Fucking shit!!

This...

RFiJNyN.gif

jediyoshi

Fucking shit!!

This...

Quoting for posterity.

Zalusithix

ok but

The module focus started as a way for them to release specific content that they wanted tested before the persistent universe was ready. This has slowly been migrated to a focus on the mini persistent universe itself. First person combat, for example, already exists in the PU, despite Star Marine not being out. Though when Star Marine really hits, it'll bring improvements along with it. It is confusing if you haven't kept up with the game, but that's to be expected when so many things are being worked on simultaneously.

In the end everything will be monolithic. All activities will be performed in the peristent universe. Everything from trading, to exploring, to racing, to combat (both on foot and in ships), etc and so forth. Even things like Arena Commander will be games played from consoles within that universe.

Just got around to watching it. You can tell how hard they were trying to make it look cinematic when flying lmao. The problem is though the game plays so poorly that it is impossible to do so. For such a large ship, that Freelancer flies like it has zero mass, watch with the landings and takeoffs where it zips up and slams down. It's comical at this point where they go out for years showing these demos after demos and still have yet to address the flight model.

That and the combat was hilarious to watch vs the pirates, limited view turret was of less than zero use compared to the aim-to-fly interactive mode main guns and super maneuvering of this "massive" Freelancer vs smaller pirate ships Maybe one day they will get it but I'm seriously doubting they can.

CHC

We just need to cool it with "Neo" in general. I wish they'd institute that thing they did with "PSA" a while back, where it just turns any instance of the word Neo into some stupid jargon phrase.

CHC

What in the flying fuck. This looks right up my alley... also amazing. I don't have the money to buy a new PC though. :(

Save one single dollar a day and by the time the game in a nearly complete state, you'll be able to afford one. I'm not being sarcastic either. Assuming about 4 years, that's around 1450 dollars. Perfect PC budget right there!

I think it is slightly unfair to compare a game made by a tiny team, to this, regardless of whether they achieved what they wanted or not.

I've been saying this for a while now. Star Citizen has a budget of 900 gafillion and a proper team working on it. No Man's Sky was built by a team of 10 people, one of whom transformed from a person into a beard through the course of the development. It's like going to a Michelin-star restaurant, ordering a cheeseburger, and then saying "well, this sure makes McDonald's seem like dog shit".

Welcome to every fucking Star Citizen thread bro

I know, I know. I should be used to it by now but...

I think it is slightly unfair to compare a game made by a tiny team, to this, regardless of whether they achieved what they wanted or not.

...this is why it's frustrating. I think there are more angry ex-CIG people on Glassdoor than the entire NMS team. :)

I backed SC four years ago, when I hadn't owned a gaming PC in a decade or so. I'm pretty excited about it. I hope and think it's going to be great. But turning this excitement into weird tribalist "us v them" stuff does nobody any favors.

Mashing

I just remembered I've spent $200 on this game (bought a Constellation--not sure why I did that in retrospect as I don't have anyone to co-pilot).

golem

Yeah theres realistically no way the NMS dev team could have ever made a game approaching something like Star Citizen and people should have been more grounded in their dreams for the final product.

But its not like Hello Games ever tried to pump the brakes on the hype train to put expectations in check. The opposite in fact, and thats on them.

Zalusithix

Pretty much. Regardless of its faults, NMS never had a chance of being on the same level as SC. The funding levels, the manpower, the lowest common denominator of available hardware power... Everything is so profoundly different between the two.

Not that it really matters since their goals from the get go were very different. All of NMS' ambitions were in procedural tech up the wazoo. Even if they managed to hit every goal they talked about, the experience would have been worlds different from what SC is aiming for.

Edit:
I just remembered I've spent $200 on this game (bought a Constellation--not sure why I did that in retrospect as I don't have anyone to co-pilot).
You'll be able to hire AI to fill the other roles for midsized ships like that. It wont necessarily be as effective as a fully human run ship, but it should be good enough for the vast majority of the time.

SpeedWeed

Neo Member
I know, I know. I should be used to it by now but...

...this is why it's frustrating. I think there are more angry ex-CIG people on Glassdoor than the entire NMS team. :)

I backed SC four years ago, when I hadn't owned a gaming PC in a decade or so. I'm pretty excited about it. I hope and think it's going to be great. But turning this excitement into weird tribalist "us v them" stuff does nobody any favors.

Same, I'm an original backer and I've stepped away from watching SC's development for a while until I saw this and it has me excited again.

I've said my piece on NMS elsewhere but trying to compare the 2 is silly and trying to bring it down when talking about SC is petty. All I'm going to say is I'm glad I didn't drop full $ down on NMS, doesn't mean I wont buy it down the line when it's a more appropriately cheaper price. My point is trying to compare the 2 is like comparing a mobile game to any nextgen/PC game.

lol

LOLOLOL

Man, as someone who backed this in 2012, the people coming out of the woodwork to dump on other games based on this presentation is embarrassing.

Why would that be? It looks to be delivering on all the mentioned features.

>_>
<_<
o_o

Should we tell him?

*GULP*

Tell me what??

I'm wondering if my 980Ti will be able to run this at decent framerates and people want a PS4 release. Holy shit lol

How could the PS4 Neo not be able to run this??

I keep seeing posts like this and its annoying as fuck. Truth of the matter is this was a closed stage demo that at numerous points you can literally feel the terror of the presenters avoiding to do something wrong that makes the whole thing fall apart. Basically the nature of in-dev shit.

Point being lets all wait and see when that thing is actually out in reality with real world computers and netcode. Sure it looks nice when they are presenting it with cinematic movement and camera switching, but seeing people already concluding this has delivered on its promises or something is not reality at all.

It still is mind-blowing - even more so than "No Truth Skies" ;)

This is the most entertaining post I've read all year.

Well thank you!

I see my post has become quite popular lol! I really only meant to express how excited I am for Star Citizen, not to cause any issues :)

Mindlog

Fucking shit!!

This...

It's like smelling a fart through your skin.

golem

On the NEO??

Yeah unfortunately it seems at this point the Neo will have essentially the same cpu as the PS4 (guess we will find out soon for sure though).

I can definitely see a version of Star Citizen eventually hitting more powerful consoles however, theyre just too big a market to ignore forever. I wouldn't be surprised if Squadron 42 made it to console reasonably quickly after release in fact, that should be easier to accomplish on the current platforms.

It's like smelling a fart through your skin.

Wow, thank you.

Instead of lowering myself to your level, which would require having to wear diapers [;)] - I'm going to ask a serious question:

To be able to play this, what will I need to upgrade to, PC wise; or will one of those Alienware console devices suffice?

Also, when is this game expected to release?

Top Bottom