• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Livestream | Today @ 9PM CEST / 3pm EDT / 12pm PDT

TheRed

It's great that you're so optimistic and excited! All I can say is please resist getting angry or indignant when it inevitably takes much longer than 2 years to create hundreds of landing zones. These things do take time.

Oh I won't and I like that other recent space game. I've been patiently waiting for years already. They have blown me away with their tech recently like this planet stuff that came fast, and today showing its all already coming together. What they said about progress coming exponentially is what I think bodes well because they themselves see they've gotten more done then expected, to me they sound confident.

Rephin

Just a reminder that some people bought a Cutlass.

Frequent decompression from poorly sealed bulkheads, rattling bolts falling apart at every turn, thrusters simply failing, sometimes catastrophically, I mean, the Cutlass is a mess. A complete mess. That's why real pilots choose the Aegis Dynamics© Sabre®. A smooth design, with variable swept wings for easy flight in-atmosphere, and a weapons system that packs a punch, to say nothing of the positively tiny radar signature that we know Aegis Dynamics© is known for providing AND high-impact thrusters to get in, get out, and get on with it.

Bravo. Just, bravo. lol

Jinkies

Of they will be alpha level but they will still be features and they can add more and will add more once they get those features out of alpha or at least way better then they will be in 3.0.

But 3.0 being the foundation of the PU and the right setting to bring other mechanics online and have in be in a testing environment. Will make things easier and make the process move along faster. Since the test bed will be live.

Oh I won't and I like that other recent space game. I've been patiently waiting for years already. They have blown me away with their tech recently like this planet stuff that came fast, and today showing its all already coming together. What they said about progress coming exponentially is what I think bodes well because they themselves see they've gotten more done then expected, to me they sound confident.

Think about how many times everything in Star Citizen has been redesigned or reimplemented already (answer: many times). Now apply that mentality to everything you saw today. Then, add everything you haven't seen yet and multiply those features along the same lines.

"Development is exponential" is only one part of the story. In software, you simply cannot overestimate.

But anyway, we will have been playing Star Citizen already for all those years, so being "finished" is a trivial label at best.

LeBart

Did he say how big the planet is? It looks way bigger than the one they showed last year.

Also, when the game is done will there be any reason to land anywhere on the planet? I'm happy if it's there just for realism, but is there stuff to find if you land at a random spot?

MGHA

Did he say how big the planet is? It looks way bigger than the one they showed last year.

Also, when the game is done will there be any reason to land anywhere on the planet? I'm happy if it's there just for realism, but is there stuff to find if you land at a random spot?

I would like to know this too.

You don't really think that what we saw today is all there will be in the game, do you?

The new additions in 3.0 will still be alpha-level features.

Are you asking me if all that they say they are going to put into 3.0 will be there? Uh... yes. They are fairly good at that with the exception of Star Marine. This was stated long ago that getting the base down was the hardest part and the returns on the work would seem exponential. We are at that point. They are introducing the systems to make sure they work in the game engine and to see how the players use and respond to them also to report bugs.

Think about how many times everything in Star Citizen has been redesigned or reimplemented already (answer: many times). Now apply that mentality to everything you saw today. Then, add everything you haven't seen yet and multiply those features along the same lines.

"Development is exponential" is only one part of the story. In software, you simply cannot overestimate.

But anyway, we will have been playing Star Citizen already for all those years, so being "finished" is a trivial label at best.

Ship models were the only thing redesigned for modularity because that was not originally planned but was stretch goal. And that was decided 2 years ago. Since then the idea has been used for ships to make them ready much faster and that only relates to models and not the subsystems at play. Every report indicates that the entire development has been forward moving except for S42 that was handed of externally. Do you have any examples of cor tech that had to be scratched and redesigned from ground up?

Edit:
let me clarify a bit. It is not that they won't be able to miss a release date, I am simply of the opinion that it is underestimated the amount of content already made, and also underestimated the milestones they have overcome. At this fidelity, I don't think there is any other example of this type of game nor the crazy things they are doing but simply adding years on to dev time is easy to state but at odds at what they have already talked about in numerous consumer facing videos and interactions they have. They will continue to work on game but the state in which they think it would be ready for release will not be two years from now. remember that they state with 3.0 the Stanton system comes online with Hurston, Microtech, Crusader, Delamare, Arc Corp, a dozen moons and over 30 space stations to explore. We still have yet to see Nyx and other areas despite seeing the work on them in ATV's. They have alot of stuff underway for quite some time.

Brokun

You can mine Plutonium and Carbon with a chance of finding some Emeril.

nOoblet16

2000KM in diameter...so a small moon size basically.
The ship in Independence Day Resurgence was bigger... 4/10 totally disappointed !

Geist-

I believe that there will be certain parts of planets made of the same voxels as asteroids and can be mined for resources. Also, maybe growing plants if the planet isn't completely barren? Narcotics are supposed to be a thing.

golem

On absolutely random patches of land (not poi's) theyve mentioned mining/resource gathering and Chris hinted in the presentation about homesteading (which we'll need more info on but interesting). Chris has also apparently mentioned hunting animals as well

Also I assume they will implement fishing like any good mmo ;)

nOoblet16

If this takes another 2-3 years then it looks like I'll be applying for Star Citizenship the same time I apply for a British citizenship

Atleast one of them will allow for unrestricted trade and commerce :p

tuxfool

Banned
So it's procedurally generated on the server and then the devs place settlements on it ?

If that's the case then it is indeed amazing because the game will have hundreds of planets. I like how the result of mixing procedural generation with manual work is something far far more dense and full of life than fully procedural 17 bazillion planets infinite universe.

Not on the server. This isn't being built real time from a base algorithm. Instead they use procedural techniques to develop a planet. They can then customize the result and that gets saved into some chunk of data, probably as as a mathematical function describing the planet

So while that data isn't necessarily stored in the same way as an asset would be, the end result is that the world is already built, so you can mix and match assets with procedural data. The NMS approach is to build everything in your view as you see it.

nOoblet16

Not on the server. This isn't being built real time from a base algorithm. Instead they use procedural techniques to develop a planet. They can then customize the result and that gets saved into some chunk of data, probably as as a mathematical function describing the planet

So while that data isn't necessarily stored in the same way as an asset would be, the end result is that the world is already built, so you can mix and match assets with procedural data. The NMS approach is to build everything in your view as you see it.

Yea so like the Demoscene projects where they store all the information about the shape and size of environment in equations.

Akronis

At least back when I was on the forums (Like the first 6 months or so post kickstarter) the debate was quite large with people on both sides of the fence.

I think it's a mistake to disallow 3rd person combat/targetting. There are ways to balance this without straight up making it impossible to do combat in third person view.

Saying it's "Cheating" you might as well apply that to field of view then, so people with three monitors, or with motion headsets are "cheating" because they have a much larger field of view.

As far as balancing goes, one of the better ways to do it would have been to simply render enemies within line of sight. So if you are in third person for instance and fighting someone, you only see them if they are in your cockpits field of view and they aren't rendered on screen while out of it.

What makes it a bit absurd is like....people don't think in the future you'd have cameras on ships? or even mirrors?

Pilots back in WW2 had mirrors on their planes to see behind them for crying out loud, as well as many fighter jets to this day have mirrors and things to see behind you.

Cars and such are even getting camera on them to see behind you.

Makes logical sense that a spaceship, especially ones that are large, would have cameras mounted around it to give the pilot the ability to view it from different angles and see all around so they don't hit things and can keep an eye out for approaching craft.

ARMA 3 is borderline broken with 3rd person because you can look around walls without exposing yourself. It fucks up combat severely.

As convenient as third person is, it can really be difficult to balance unless everyone uses third person.

Why are the Gamescom packages so expensive?

You don't have the buy them, but yeah big money as they include like 3 to 5 ships. Go with the Sq42 and Star Citizen package for 60 bucks and i think it comes with a ship. I encourage people to not pay too much.

Rephin

You can earn every ship in the game through the in-game currency once the game comes out. You don't NEED to buy a big ship package unless you feel comfortable doing so and you're willing to part with more money to help the development of the game. Otherwise the $45 or $60 you spend is all you need to get started. If you want a taste of big ship life, you can always join GAF Org and help crew some of our large ships. I don't think that job market will ever dry up with the size of our Org relative to the number of large ships owned in the fleet.

Kacho

You don't have the buy them, but yeah big money as they include like 3 to 5 ships. Go with the Sq42 and Star Citizen package for 60 bucks and i think it comes with a ship. I encourage people to not pay too much.

What is it that you're looking for?

I already own the game and a ship. Was just looking at the packages and can't believe how much they're charging. Seems excessive.

LeBart

2000KM in diameter...so a small moon size basically.
The ship in Independence Day Resurgence was bigger... 4/10 totally disappointed !
That's almost twice the size of Pluto, so it's believable enough for me.

I hope there are some earth-sized rocky worlds as well.

ARMA 3 is borderline broken with 3rd person because you can look around walls without exposing yourself. It fucks up combat severely.

As convenient as third person is, it can really be difficult to balance unless everyone uses third person.

Agreed, there's so many people that love third person. I hate that it gives an advantage greater than normal to people who camp or are entrenched, the risk is nonexistent comparative to first person, where you still have the advantage but need to expose yourself somewhat to check for enemy movement. I've played a lot of ARMA over the years and had to search extensively for a first person only community.

Thankfully for some random game modes like King of the Hill etc there actually seems to be some populated FP only servers. But yea, it's a problem, hopefully they have FP only SC servers or something.

tuxfool

Banned
I already own the game and a ship. Was just looking at the packages and can't believe how much they're charging. Seems excessive.

You could argue the same about any crowdfunded project. Imagine a 10K backer for some random indie project, a meeting/dinner with the developers will never be intrinsically worth what that person is giving.

jaaz

I understand almost every ship can be bought with in-game credit once the game officially releases, with the exception of handful of rare and limited ships. Do not feel pressured to buy any ship! I bought a few to help fund the project mostly.

There are always people with multiple crew ships that will take you on-board, if you just ask nicely. Also, the GAF armada has more large ships than people to fill them, so join us!

jaaz

Looks great so far but the hyping is a bit worrying.

I know where you are coming from after NMS. But what we saw today was a real time mission from alpha 3.0. This is real. Any hype is real. It's an extension of alpha 2.4.1 which I can attest needs work (particularly in performance), but it runs well.

Kacho

I understand almost every ship can be bought with in-game credit once the game officially releases, with the exception of handful of rare and limited ships. Do not feel pressured to buy any ship! I bought a few to help fund the project mostly.

There are always people with multiple crew ships that will take you on-board, if you just ask nicely. Also, the GAF armada has more large ships than people to fill them, so join us!

Ok that makes sense. Thanks for explaining.

How do I join the GAF armada?

DieH@rd

Banned
I'm very happy I backed this when $35 got me Aurora, SC and SQ42. It looks like prices went up from then.

However, I still haven't downloaded and booted the game once. I can wait more before jumping in.

DieH@rd

Banned
Two questions.

Any hint of a "release date"?

Have they talked about whether or not the "modules" are going to come together as single product?

1. I'm expecting S42 to start deploying next year [singleplayer scripted version [with branching and tons of optional missions] of all these gameplay things! Wing Commander on industrial-grade steroids]. As for something resembling full version of SC, maybe early 2018.

2. Star Citizen is all these modules pulled together in this 3.0 demo, but with players being able to explore local space with dozens of star systems around Sol. As you can see from this, it's wildly ambitious evolution of Freelancer.

jaaz

Two questions.

Any hint of a "release date"?

Have they talked about whether or not the "modules" are going to come together as single product?

What you saw today, Alpha 3.0, is targeted before year end. The release date of the "final" game is unknown, but lately they have seemed to move away from talking about any final release date and to more of a staggered release. They view this as a game you will be playing for 10 years, like WoW or Eve.

The ArcCorp module should be integrated into the persistent universe in 3.0. Eventually, your hangar will also be integrated, although no date has been set to my knowledge. The Arena Commander and Star Marine modules are really simulators and can be launched from the hanger (Star Marine is coming in 2.6), so I suspect they will be integrated at the same time as the hanger is.

Edit: and as mentioned above, SQ42, the single player campaign, should be out next year, but we'll know more during CitizenCon in October.

I'm a new to PC gamer since original Doom. My build should start around November. (Waiting on finishing up a home theatre lol) I had only known of Star Citizen by name and that it was some sort of space game. I just watched the entire presentation...

Holy fucking shit! Sold. I got chills!

On absolutely random patches of land (not poi's) theyve mentioned mining/resource gathering and Chris hinted in the presentation about homesteading (which we'll need more info on but interesting). Chris has also apparently mentioned hunting animals as well

Also I assume they will implement fishing like any good mmo ;)

Plug me in, I don't ever want to leave.

Akronis

God damnit I changed phones and lost my 2FA token and didn't realize backup tokens were a thing -_________-

Waiting for support to get back to me. Want to buy that explorer pack. When does the sale end?

Jinkies

Are you asking me if all that they say they are going to put into 3.0 will be there? Uh... yes. They are fairly good at that with the exception of Star Marine. This was stated long ago that getting the base down was the hardest part and the returns on the work would seem exponential. We are at that point. They are introducing the systems to make sure they work in the game engine and to see how the players use and respond to them also to report bugs.

Ship models were the only thing redesigned for modularity because that was not originally planned but was stretch goal. And that was decided 2 years ago. Since then the idea has been used for ships to make them ready much faster and that only relates to models and not the subsystems at play. Every report indicates that the entire development has been forward moving except for S42 that was handed of externally. Do you have any examples of cor tech that had to be scratched and redesigned from ground up?

Edit:
let me clarify a bit. It is not that they won't be able to miss a release date, I am simply of the opinion that it is underestimated the amount of content already made, and also underestimated the milestones they have overcome. At this fidelity, I don't think there is any other example of this type of game nor the crazy things they are doing but simply adding years on to dev time is easy to state but at odds at what they have already talked about in numerous consumer facing videos and interactions they have. They will continue to work on game but the state in which they think it would be ready for release will not be two years from now. remember that they state with 3.0 the Stanton system comes online with Hurston, Microtech, Crusader, Delamare, Arc Corp, a dozen moons and over 30 space stations to explore. We still have yet to see Nyx and other areas despite seeing the work on them in ATV's. They have alot of stuff underway for quite some time.

I was thinking about this, and I'd like to propose a mental experiment.

Envision your best guess "finish date" for each of the systems below. My personal, very optimistic guesses are in bold. I'm buying entirely into the "exponential" argument and taking the 3.0 EOY estimate as fact.

Note: a system is "finished" to me when each planet with a landing zone in that system can be visited.

Start Point - Alpha 3.0 (According to Chris Roberts): EOY 2016

Stanton: June 2017 (+6 months)

Stanton+1: November 2017 (+5 Months)

Stanton+2: February 2017 (+3 Months)

Stanton+N: +0.5 Months (2 Per Month)

Stanton+N^2: +0.25 Months (4 Per Month)

With 100 systems, this timeline places the last completed star system: August 2020 (+4 Years From Now)

If you think about it as a series of milestones and not an abstract concept, I think it becomes easier to understand why this will take time, and I'm all but certain that my estimates above are optimistic. I'd love to see what dates you believe make sense, too.

FiraB

Banned
Wow, that demo was more then I expected.

3.0 is looking to be fucking incredible, once they have that foundation for post 3.0 and start just filling out the world this game is going to be something else. Can't wait to see what the hell the avatar customization system is going to be like if the world is going to be that detailed.

That Starfarer Segment.

Dog_wipesbrow.gif

Clearly armor values/dmg values need to be adjusted slightly though. I also wonder if later we'll be able to scan for life-signs if we have the right systems.

Also please make derelict ship with nasty alien monsters crawling around it a reality.

SOR5

Jesus Christ wow
I haven't been left in this much shock and awe in scale and detail in forever, it's beautiful

Top Bottom