• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Livestream | Today @ 9PM CEST / 3pm EDT / 12pm PDT

Everything runs like dogshit in the PTU. My evga 970 is working alright in arena commander.

Word. I mean...to me there's a difference between "alright" and "I want to run this game decently enough". I don't assume someone wants to scrape by and low/lowest settings and pray for 30fps. In that context, I wouldn't recommend this to anyone with less than a 980. It's just not enjoyable IMO. Not to me.

980/1070/980Ti and you'll enjoy yourself. Much less than that and you'll be in the struggle wishing you had more power. ymmv, of course.

golem

http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/star-citizen/bilder/screenshots/star_citizen,48820,95753.html

bigimage.jpg

bigimage.jpg

bigimage.jpg

bigimage.jpg

Steel

Banned
Fuck, twitch did not do the game justice.

Word. I mean...to me there's a difference between "alright" and "I want to run this game decently enough". I don't assume someone wants to scrape by and low/lowest settings and pray for 30fps. In that context, I wouldn't recommend this to anyone with less than a 980. It's just not enjoyable IMO. Not to me.

980/1070/980Ti and you'll enjoy yourself. Much less than that and you'll be in the struggle wishing you had more power. ymmv, of course.

I can see what you mean, but if a person just bought a 1060 I'm not gonna tell them that they absolutely must upgrade, either. This is definitely a game that you'll always get more from a better card.

DrBo42

I dunno man, I have a 980ti and a 6700k and the PTU runs like garbage. Which still shocks me (even though they probably haven't done much of any optimization)

Trace

Banned
I dunno man, I have a 980ti and a 6700k and the PTU runs like garbage. Which still shocks me (even though they probably haven't done much of any optimization)

It has nothing to do with GPU power and entirely with network coding.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Definitely quite a few stabs at No Mans Sky.

Wonder if Chris is salty about the fact that NMS will probably make not far off as much revenue as he's raised so far?

I feel like it ran decently on my 980Ti but tbqh I can't remember. I didn't have my Ti very long. Part of the reason I barely bothered with the beta builds before was because of just how badly it performs on 970 grade cards or lower. Everything was below 30fps. Often times below 20fps. No thanks.

I tried it only briefly on my 1080 FTW but it was good to go. Maybe it can only really be recommended to 1070/1080 owners to really enjoy the experience. Maybe not even then. IDK.

It has nothing to do with GPU power and entirely with network coding.

No. Who the hell told you that nonsense.

Wonder if Chris is salty about the fact that NMS will probably make not far off as much revenue as he's raised so far?

Hardly. He's mentioned NMS and Elite regularly because they're competitors and they're doing similar things albeit differently. No disrespect intended. Don't be so sensitive. Ain't nobody think about NMS anymore anyway. We've seen enough of that one.

It's not your system, it's the network. They said it should be upgraded in 3.0 so hopefully it will lessen or eradicate the issue. It's the server that is struggling to hold it's FPS and we're all feeling it as a result. If you get lucky enough to log into a server that just locked and rebooted you'll see it performing at 60fps sometimes until other players start logging in.

I feel like it ran decently on my 980Ti but tbqh I can't remember. I didn't have my Ti very long. Part of the reason I barely bothered with the beta builds before was because of just how badly it performs on 970 grade cards or lower. Everything was below 30fps. Often times below 20fps. No thanks.

I tried it only briefly on my 1080 FTW but it was good to go. Maybe it can only really be recommended to 1070/1080 owners to really enjoy the experience. Maybe not even then. IDK.

Smooth 60fps (very minor load judder) on my 970 at high in AC and when the server is yet to fill. Ultra is taxing it a little but honestly you don't need the most insane GPU out there just to run it. Hell it was fairly smooth on low or medium on my old 580 until I upgraded.

is there a third person mode for flight or is it first person all the time?

It is first person all the time every time. 3rd person cameras can be used, but they are mainly for looking at your ship as they do not correlate to ship movement or have HUD.

The game is marketed as a "first person universe" sim. Everything in FP-view all the time with everything balanced aroung that.
Wonder if my 1060 is going to run this at 30fps 1080p?

Probably? Depends on settings, like every game before it.

Trace

Banned

No. Who the hell told you that nonsense.

Hardly. He's mentioned NMS and Elite regularly because they're competitors and they're doing similar things albeit differently. No disrespect intended. Don't be so sensitive. Ain't nobody think about NMS anymore anyway. We've seen enough of that one.

The PU is bound by network load. That's a fact. I don't care if you have 3x 1080 SLI, it's not going to hit 60fps when the servers are full.

It's not your system, it's the network. They said it should be upgraded in 3.0 so hopefully it will lessen or eradicate the issue. It's the server that is struggling to hold it's FPS and we're all feeling it as a result. If you get lucky enough to log into a server that just locked and rebooted you'll see it performing at 60fps sometimes until other players start logging in.

Hmm. Well I'll take your word for it. I guess the servers were stressed literally every time I played the beta on my 970 and not stressed when I tried it with my 1080? Perhaps just coincidence. If you guys say a 970 is fine, then I'll accept that. That was not my experience.

Galava

The PU is bound by network load. That's a fact. I don't care if you have 3x 1080 SLI, it's not going to hit 60fps when the servers are full.

Yeah, if anyone want to test "real performance", arena commander is your friend. I get 50-60fps on a 970 there.

DrBo42

Smooth 60fps (very minor load judder) on my 970 at high in AC and when the server is yet to fill. Ultra is taxing it a little but honestly you don't need the most insane GPU out there just to run it. Hell it was fairly smooth on low or medium on my old 580 until I upgraded.

You're probably right. Hopefully 3.0 is better.

Get out of here with that nonsense. All up in you're feelings and shit. You don't work for Hello games, you will see none of that money, stop being a fanboy.

Hmm. Well I'll take your word for it. I guess the servers were stressed literally every time I played the beta on my 970 and not stressed when I tried it with my 1080? Perhaps just coincidence. If you guys say a 970 is fine, then I'll accept that. That was not my experience.

Certainly a chance it could have happened. I've only got into a few instances where it was reasonably empty, but one of them stayed low numbers for a decent amount of time and I got around 20 minutes of play where it was noticeably smoother than usual. Unfortunately the large majority of my time I'm hitting stressed servers.

You can get a pretty good example of it by leaving the station and heading to the middle of nowhere. You'll find your FPS is still crap despite the massively reduced load on your system since it's not rendering the station or the ships. It IS a PITA though. The judder it introduces makes it really hard to enjoy properly.

tuxfool

Banned
They will most definitely come up with better ways to make them quicker. They just are taking a more detailed approach the No Man's Sky and that's why it's just 100.But they will surely come up with procedural techniques to make them faster, he even mentioned it today. I say 2-3 years for all systems.

Something something tools.

It's great that you're so optimistic and excited! All I can say is please resist getting angry or indignant when it inevitably takes much longer than 2 years to create hundreds of landing zones. These things do take time.

So I am not sure where you are pulling this assumption from. The whole point of the stations, ships and zones being modular (which they even talked about in RTV) is to reduce the time it takes to create content, because the resources are there to be reused, just design tweaks and minor customization to bring uniqueness to some areas. And that is only for area's that are unique via lore. UEE or race specific zone most likely will share design cues which makes new zones easier to bring to life.

Yeah, saw this and audibly guffaw'd. The funny thing is this is how the press is terming it all. NMS really got people excited for the idea of multiplayer space games... in spite of all teh weirdness surrounding its launch
Do life forms and planets get more weird as you get closer to the centre?

The all start approach a z value of: Derek Smart's mom's basement, and a deep learning simulation of Derek Smart google image searches.

Does that answer your question?

Jinkies

So I am not sure where you are pulling this assumption from. The whole point of the stations, ships and zones being modular (which they even talked about in RTV) is to reduce the time it takes to create content, because the resources are there to be reused, just design tweaks and minor customization to bring uniqueness to some areas. And that is only for area's that are unique via lore. UEE or race specific zone most likely will share design cues which makes new zones easier to bring to life.

Yes, they will be modular, which is one reason that the game can be made at all. It will still take a lot of labor.

That is to say nothing of all the many, many game systems and individual mechanics which are not yet implemented, including economy simulation, factories, guilds, jump points, black holes, NPCs, missions, clothing, animations, day/night cycle, cities, water, etc, etc, etc.

It will take a long time. Not a short time.

Yes, they will be modular, which is one reason that the game can be made at all. It will still take a lot of labor.

That is to say nothing of all the many, many game systems and individual mechanics which are not yet implemented, including economy simulation, factories, guilds, jump points, black holes, NPCs, missions, clothing, animations, day/night cycle, cities, water, etc, etc, etc.

It will take a long time. Not a short time.

It won't take as long as you seem to think it will. Even CIG didn't think they would have PG tech workable anytime soon, it was a pipe dream a future project for after "release". But here we are with fully rendered planets...etc and such, an ts still early yet. Still it looked super good and will only get better.

Stiler

So can someone tell me, as someone has kind of kept this game on radio silent for the most part since backing it on kickstarter, has the deal with First/third person changed?

On the Star Citizen forums the First person vs third person debate used to be a huge thing, with a pretty much even split of people that wanted third person vs those who wanted a strict first-person only view.

I was on the third person view side (I like being able to fly and see my ship and things).

So have they decided to allow third person or is it just being shown for demo purposes?

Akronis

So can someone tell me, as someone has kind of kept this game on radio silent for the most part since backing it on kickstarter, has the deal with First/third person changed?

On the Star Citizen forums the First person vs third person debate used to be a huge thing, with a pretty much even split of people that wanted third person vs those who wanted a strict first-person only view.

I was on the third person view side (I like being able to fly and see my ship and things).

So have they decided to allow third person or is it just being shown for demo purposes?

First Person Universe.

From what I understand, the game will be almost entirely first-person. You can go into 3rd-person, but you will have no UI or displays, it is mostly to just admire how things look.

RK9039

Third person is allowed and can be used whenever really, it just doesn't have a UI/HUD making it useless when you need to do things like shoot people. That's the way they've decided to balance it.

Just a reminder that some people bought a Cutlass.

Frequent decompression from poorly sealed bulkheads, rattling bolts falling apart at every turn, thrusters simply failing, sometimes catastrophically, I mean, the Cutlass is a mess. A complete mess. That's why real pilots choose the Aegis Dynamics© Sabre®. A smooth design, with variable swept wings for easy flight in-atmosphere, and a weapons system that packs a punch, to say nothing of the positively tiny radar signature that we know Aegis Dynamics© is known for providing AND high-impact thrusters to get in, get out, and get on with it.

Third person has never been part of the design nor has there ever been a split in the userbase (as someone who follows the game religiously) regarding its implementation into gameplay systems. It will be that way for good.

THe thing is though, there are and will be third person cameras in game that will allow you to cinematically / filmically / viscerally look at your ship and or character. These will have limited gameplay utility though as they do not follow the character like a TPS camera and they do not show your FP HUD projection.

Lylo

Do these guys have plans to release this as full/finished game and then stop development or they plan to keep implementing more and more things gradually over the coming years?

It's a honest question, i'm not familiar with the development of this game, but it looks very good.

Steel

Banned

There's always been a third person camera. The problem is that you don't see the targeting UI when you switch cameras from first person.

Top Bottom