• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Livestream | Today @ 9PM CEST / 3pm EDT / 12pm PDT

Well, planets certainly have progressed in Cryengine since my attempt in ~2008.

29037492831_c4490bc415_o.jpg

Yesss, lol. I remember my senior project in high school (A project based on your projected career path) . I procrastinated all year on it. At the end I did a bit of level design in cry engine and presented it and fed them some regurgitated stuff I learned from forums and wikis and about how I wanted to implement it into my career in programming and game design. Everyone was so blown away. Literally just dropped trees, a bunch of foliage and some rocks. I think I put a plane in a tree haphazardly. Was such a terrible map.

Jinkies

This is the entire point of my post. On a technical level to ensure how a system should work and interact with the the elements within only one needs to be working as a template for other systems. The other systems and landing zones are only a term of asset creation.

Like I stated in my post before, there are more assets closer to completion than has been released. Generic landing bases can be made off of templates of existing design. This is why I am pointing out the assumptions that each systems will take months to complete (as if they have to reinvent the wheel) makes no sense.

If the mechanics are nailed down after the first system is complete and unique assets created for landing zones, what exactly is taking the RSI team years to release? Why would you think so? I am not talking in abstracts, when we talk about milestones, the milestones are for the template to get one system up and running. What is sounding abstract is the time you are giving for each other system.

If we look at the concept art, as well as all the assets that have been released, announced, and leaked, there will be a very substantial number of original assets for virtually every system and planet.

The technical foundation for star systems developed via Stanton can certainly be reused, but not entirely. That technology will need to be expanded for the requirements that other star systems will introduce. For example, it may become evident that players need a way to climb or use a jetpack to get around (think about the Freelancer trouble during the demo). Hundreds of things like this, big and small, can and will happen. Certainly swimming mechanics will be necessary, as well as oceanic environments for that matter.

Finally, this still does not apply to art direction and design. Consider how long a single ship takes from concept introduction to in-game release, even with CIG's mature, established technology and art workflows. It isn't at all unreasonable to expect at least that amount of time for a star system. And just like ships, the complexity increases over time, not decreases, even as new foundations are laid. Therefore, development doesn't necessarily get faster and faster (if that were true, a new ship would be releasing every week at this point). Ideally, it goes at the roughly the same pace, but more interesting things can be accomplished.

RedSwirl

Just watched the video. That really does look like a technical marvel, almost as if it's going to be the game BioWare probably dreamed about when it first started developing Mass Effect 1, or the game Mass Effect might turn into a couple console generations from now.

What really got me was how it seamlessly handles ship transportation with all the ships having traversable interiors. You walk around in your ship, go out of the docking bay, spacewalk into the other ship, and the other ship has multiple decks. It looked just as good as any level in a linear PS4 game. And I didn't even realize players could buy and own that ship. I just don't care for paying for that with real money. The other thing that surprised me was how the loot doesn't just transport to your ship or anything -- you have to physically pick it up and move it into your cargo hold. I don't think there was a single part in this demo where Cloud Imperium made the typical video game concessions.

So people aren't even estimating this game will be "done" before like 2018? The current system requirements to get a 60fps experience then don't sound too crazy for a 2018-2020 high-end PC. It's also going to be interesting to see where Elite and NMS are at that time in terms of upgrades and addons.

How much of this open-world stuff is going to be in Squadron 42? Do you have to play the MMO to get all this?

Pretty, but those technically aren't from the actual live demo, but from another take of the same mission run through at a different point in time. They weren't playing in 4K, and the Dragonfly isn't in the same position within the Freelancer's bay that it was during the actual demo, nor did that camera angle even happen.

Annddd? Why does that matter?

How much of this open-world stuff is going to be in Squadron 42? Do you have to play the MMO to get all this?

I've got reason to believe that CIG implementing the PG tech earlier than expected for the PU delayed SQ42 so they could include that in the single player game as well. While it is going to be a linear story, there's massive potential for their single player mission structure taking the route of what was shown in the gamescom demo

Zalusithix

Annddd? Why does that matter?

No idea what you're getting at. I simply clarified the source of them, and that they weren't playing at 4K resolution during the onstage demo. High resolution screenshots, and screengrabs from playable settings are two different things.

If you're somehow taking that as a slight against SC, then I don't know what to tell ya.

The last time I felt this blown away was the Half-Life 2 reveal, but not even that compares to the awe this game elicits. Star Citizen simply looks light years ahead of anything out there, and anything on the horizon. This looks to be the game I've always dreamed of, and so much more.

tuxfool

Banned

It is a linear campaign but set in one system. What we do know is that it will be a mixture of tightly scripted missions but more open setpieces that allow you to approach your objective through various means.

That is about as much as we know. We'll know more in October.

Geist-

Chris Roberts talked about the presentation on Twitch yesterday.

Reddit did a summary.

Because of the demo and other interviews coming out at Gamescom, I feel like this interview got somewhat overlooked. I thought I should do a quick summary of what
  • CR spoke about with BadNewsBaron and Captain Richard:
  • They ran the demo presentation close to 22 (perhaps closer to 30) times to various parties at the con. Two crashes happened and one hard hang.
  • Unlike a lot of other games, including those with PG'ed planets, there is no specific draw distance. In 3.0 the curvature of the planet is the horizon.
  • Plans for Citcon are to show off "the next level" of the PG tech. Vegetation, water, oceans. A "Crysis style" planet.
  • The checkpoint on the way to Delamar is a QD beacon that also provides your EDL assisted "flight tunnels".
  • The 40 stations quoted at the demo are not all planned for 3.0. We'll see more duplication and modularity of the existing stations to build it out. They are working on a modular set for stations at the moment.
  • The tech allows for IRL scales but is being reduced for gameplay reasons. We're looking at a 1/10th scale of distance between planets. Planets are 1/4th scale in size.
  • 40 minutes to cross Stanton. Discussed here.
  • Emphasis on ship maintenance for large haulers making long trips. Coming with items 2.0
  • Jobwell is coming in 3.0 along with more hand-crafted missions and those provided by actual characters.
  • Some elements of the PG'ed mission system coming in 3.0.
  • The last day of the shoot at Imaginarium was for the PU, not SQ42. Another shoot planned for PU mission content later in the year.
  • Lots of work still to do on facial capture. Eyes, hair, skin specifically.
  • Work on live facial capture (!). The plan is to release news reports in-game as quickly after the events as possible.
  • The plan is for player driven events to be reported on to create a more dynamic, living game.
  • Items 2.0 inlcudes ageing, wear and tear.
  • Player characters are supposed to age as well (?)
  • The mocap rig owned by CIG is in the UK. It was used to shoot the 3.0 stuff in the demo but at Imaginarium. The plan is to get this set up in the LA studio with smaller mocap sets at each studio as well. They might keep using professional sets in Ealing for the larger scale shoots.
  • SQ42 Ch.2 planned for about two years after Ch.1 comes out.

Crysis level planets at CitCon, holy shit.

So sorry if this has just been asked a million times, but what is the game currently? Like if I bought it right now, what would I be doing?

The gamescon demo blew my mind and my interest has gone from "Looking at this thing off in the distance going 'huh" to 'holy fucking shit I want this now' "

Jinkies

So sorry if this has just been asked a million times, but what is the game currently? Like if I bought it right now, what would I be doing?

The gamescon demo blew my mind and my interest has gone from "Looking at this thing off in the distance going 'huh" to 'holy fucking shit I want this now' "

You can do a lot of things. Not as much as in the 3.0 demo, but there is perhaps 10 solid hours of gameplay. Much more than that if you simply enjoy wandering in Star Citizen's primordial sandbox.

Couldn't they just make ships 10x faster? In Elite you're already dealing with IRL distances, but to each its own I guess.

I am also confused, but perhaps it makes it easier to travel along an improvised path?

Does anybody have a timeline of the original Kickstarter and what all the stretch goals were up to this point?

I've been watching interviews with Chris Roberts and he's mentioned that everything they've been doing for the past two years has been well above and beyond what they had planned originally; so I would like to know what the original plans were and where the stretch goals have taken them to build this ultimate vision version of Star Citizen.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Does anybody have a timeline of the original Kickstarter and what all the stretch goals were up to this point?

I've been watching interviews with Chris Roberts and he's mentioned that everything they've been doing for the past two years has been well above and beyond what they had planned originally; so I would like to know what the original plans were and where the stretch goals have taken them to build this ultimate vision version of Star Citizen.

Just go to the kickstarter page.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen

Jinkies

They have either completed or are actively working on every major stretch goal.

Here is the list:
http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Stretch_goals

Over $119 million actually. Probably over $120 million by the end of today.

Shouldn't this mean a faster development cycle, now that they have 4 different studuos working on different aspects of the game?

When can we realistically expect the retail early access version - next year sometime?

danthefan

I wonder what game we'd have gotten if they just resulted with the $2.XX million that the original Kickstarter campaign raised.

injurai

Banned
Shouldn't this mean a faster development cycle, now that they have 4 different studuos working on different aspects of the game?

When can we realistically expect the retail early access version - next year sometime?

They have improved their development, but that is more through parallelization of content across multiple studios. More money isn't going to make each studio problem solve faster. So their development cycles can only get so fast. What money does allow them to do is to work deliberately and not take short cuts.

Zalusithix

Throwing more money and people at a project doesn't make things move quicker on a linear scale, if at all after a certain point. See the Mythical Man-Month.

As for retail early access? Right now? Not sure what else you'd call an alpha that you can play after pledging.

Throwing more money and people at a project doesn't make things move quicker on a linear scale, if at all after a certain point. See the Mythical Man-Month.

As for retail early access? Right now? Not sure what else you'd call an alpha that you can play after pledging.

Are anyone else's quoted replies not showing up as illuminated? So far, the past two replies to my posts are greyed out and not in green.

danthefan

The mythical man-month argues that in many cases throwing resources at a software project can result in longer dev times, I'm fairly sure. While since I read it.

Zalusithix

The mythical man-month argues that in many cases throwing resources at a software project can result in longer dev times, I'm fairly sure. While since I read it.

Which is why I said the addition is not linear, and eventually gets to the point where it doesn't help. From there it can actually work in reverse. Everything is highly dependent on the project, though I think it's pretty safe to assume that CIG is at the point where adding more isn't going to help move any existing plan further along any faster.

~Cross~

It does, in particular to a project thats already running late. This mostly relates to software engineers. Not necessarily to artists, CMs, QCs, etc.

elyetis

For years this has been going on.

Star Citizen thread 2013
GAF: Yo this shit is a scam
Greif: These things take time

Star Citizen thread 2014
Grief: These things take time

Star Citizen thread 2015
Grief: These things take time

Star Citizen Thread 2016
GAF: When is this shit coming to Scorpio?

It would help out my sanity immensely, if we had a game development 101 and business 101 for people when they sign up for GAF
You can't really complain about people not knowing about how long game development takes etc when Chris Roberts himself seems to make that same mistake.

jaaz

To be fair though, there has been some (lots?) feature creep since the Kickstarter goal was met. I'm glad too, let them take longer if it means playing the space sim we've dreamed about.

something else which people should consider is that they've now got 2 studios in the states, and 2 overseas (UK and Germany) Germany being the latest one. This almost allows a 24 hour a day development cycle between the studios, when the Austin studio goes home, the overseas guys/gals are just starting their day. They've really stepped up their production pipeline for ships and how fast they can churn them out. The same can't be said yet for planets and landing zones but I'm confident it'll get up to speed once most of their basic necessities are in place. Most have already been tackled such as redoing all assets for PBR rendering, implementing 64bit in cryengine, physics grids, multicrew, procedural gen, unifiying 1st/3rd person animation sets, etc.

The next big milestone is their new netcode system which should allow for unifying servers to have hundreds if not thousands of players together instead of the current limit.Once these building blocks are in place it's really just a last minute push from the art team to finish up the remaining systems.

I hope Chris Roberts understands that we don't need 50 star systems on launch day - 2 or 3 would be more than fine.

Just finish that, release the game and then gradually update the game with all the other star systems and features/content.

Zalusithix

I hope Chris Roberts understands that we don't need 50 star systems on launch day - 2 or 3 would be more than fine.

Just finish that, release the game and then gradually update the game with all the other star systems and features/content.

Two to three would cripple numerous roles like trade and exploration. Not to mention it wouldn't give enough room to deal with even the Vanduul, let alone other alien races. No thanks. There's no rush to get the game out in some super limited form. That's what the alphas are for.

Geist-

The Stanton system (the first system) is a special case. Not every system is going to be as fully developed as this one, with 4 populated planets, dozens of stations, and minor landing zones on every moon. There are plenty of systems that have 1 populated planet or are completely uninhabited, and those can be pumped out as quickly as starships with procedural generation and their development pipeline (for the uninformed, CIG is doing 1-3 fully developed ships every patch).

RE4PRR

For stable 1080p60 on single gpu? Higher end Volta or Einstein.
Or if they manage to support SLI - 2x 1080.

I run Very High 3440x1440 SLI 1080s and Arena Commander + Hanger I never drop below framerate cap of 60fps.

Define Star Citizen Ultra, since for me the settings only go to Very High unless you mean some custom user.cfg? Or does that include the online component?

Ultra at 1080p is a something easily achievable from my standpoint right now.

I watched about 25 minutes of this demo and it was so boring I had to turn off. I wanted to see a game not a life simulator about how your buddy can see you in an elevator.

Xane

My only real small complaint about the demo was we went from a barren planet to a barren moon. I was hoping they would show off some of the planets from the gaming mag shots.

Wait for Citizen Con in October... ;>

Daedardus

I watched about 25 minutes of this demo and it was so boring I had to turn off. I wanted to see a game not a life simulator about how your buddy can see you in an elevator.

Please tell me about that spaceship of yours and all those boring space explorations you've done in your life.

Top Bottom