• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Symphonia Unisonant Pack announced for PS3 [Screens/Videos in OP]

FSLink

Banned
Legendia will need more than a HD treatment. That battle system is even more outdated than Symphonia's.

The dungeons as well.

So I was watching some combo video and both battle systems look so outdated now. Does TOS2 have even some interesting mechanics? If it's about the pokemon system, meh. I will still import the ufotable box day 1 though.

Not really. Emil at least gets a few skills that lets him use certain artes in the air but the battle system is such a weird floaty version of Abyss's it's not as fun.

I still say they should have copied and pasted Xillia 2's battle system if they wanted to be lazy.

COURAGE IS THE MAGIC THAT TURNS DREAMS INTO REALITY

Voting this as the OT title for a Tales of Community thread. :V

Yazuka

I felt this way too. The only reason I got tired of it was because their dynamic never changed for over half the game thanks to Emil.

A shame. =/
And a damn shame that love stories are handle like they are in JRPGs, well mostly of them.
Would love to see a couple that really are in love and can admit, that they love each other and then build on that.

Yay Symphonia, boo to Dawn. My only memory of that was playing it one Saturday morning, thinking that the main character was really, really annoying, hearing my wife echo the sentiment, and then hearing her tell me that she was going into labor.

We had our first child later that day. So curse you, Dawn of a New World for burning yourself into my memory forever.

FSLink

Banned
A shame. =/
And a damn shame that love stories are handle like they are in JRPGs, well mostly of them.
Would love to see a couple that really are in love and can admit, that they love each other and then build on that.

Not a JRPG but Clannad the visual novel did a good job of this. It's pretty rare to see romance plots go beyond "and they lived happily ever after" and then credits.

Yazuka

Not a JRPG but Clannad the visual novel did a good job of this. It's pretty rare to see romance plots go beyond "and they lived happily ever after" and then credits.

Yeah, I am familiar with that. Would love for something similar when it comes to romance and love in a game. Perhaps without all the sad stuff though... =/

Either way, I hope they fix the fps in Symphonia. And I am so looking forward to playing it again. I haven't played it since it was new in Europe. So that's a pretty long time ago.

Proven

I was very happy (and sad, then happy again) the anime, thank you very much.

But a point I've noticed in a lot of media (or maybe it's just the media I consume) is a lack of positive examples of people in relationships.

.Anema

I played Symphonia like 15 hours (Gamecube version), and I loved it, was my first and only Tales of...
I'm waiting for Tales of Xillia, but now i don't know what to do, i don't have enough time to play both Xillia and Symphonia so, which one should y take? Xillia? Symphonia?

demidar

I played Symphonia like 15 hours (Gamecube version), and I loved it, was my first and only Tales of...
I'm waiting for Tales of Xillia, but now i don't know what to do, i don't have enough time to play both Xillia and Symphonia so, which one should y take? Xillia? Symphonia?

They're gonna be months apart, you should have time.

Yazuka

Well if you buy the PS3 version of Symphonia, it doesn't come out until next year. Unless you import the Japanese version.
So if you buy Xillia when it comes out, you should be able to play both? I have no idea how much time you have on your hands, but I'm pretty tight with time myself.
So an RPG of the length of 50-60hours takes me about a month to finish.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Tales of Graces F.

.Anema

Well if you buy the PS3 version of Symphonia, it doesn't come out until next year. Unless you import the Japanese version.
So if you buy Xillia when it comes out, you should be able to play both? I have no idea how much time you have on your hands, but I'm pretty tight with time myself.
So an RPG of the length of 50-60hours takes me about a month to finish.

For an RPG of 50-60 hours im thinking about 2 months, not counting my queue with Tomb Raider, Ni No Kuni, God of War Ascencion, Bioshock Infinite and The Last of Us (Just finished Dead Space 3...)
Maybe I will wait until next year, Tales of... Is not one of my priorities, I'm just remembering the good times with Symphonia.
God, I miss college...

Yazuka

For an RPG of 50-60 hours im thinking about 2 months, not counting my queue with Tomb Raider, Ni No Kuni, God of War Ascencion, Bioshock Infinite and The Last of Us (Just finished Dead Space 3...)
Maybe I will wait until next year, Tales of... Is not one of my priorities, I'm just remembering the good times with Symphonia.
God, I miss college...

That's quite the backlog there. And damn, 2months for an rpg of 50-60h? You sound like you have even less time than I do. =/
Hope you find the time for those games.

Seda

Namco usually uploads terrible screenshots too, so maybe they're super compressed or something. Even their Xillia screens look a bit worse than the game actually does.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Namco usually uploads terrible screenshots too, so maybe they're super compressed or something. Even their Xillia screens look a bit worse than the game actually does.

Aren't those screens from Facebook? If they're facebook shots then they're by default shit.

Can't recall any tales games having beautiful or detailed environments.

Ok Eternia had some nice 2d ones. They usually put more effort on the characters.

On the one hand Tales of Symphonia is the first tales game I played. On the other hand, I've already played both Tales of Symphonia games and the PS2 extra are not that substantial. I'll probably wait for a cheaper price to get this. Or maybe get this as a gift to my sister so she has her own copies of the games.

PKrockin

You know, there's a chance the GC version is still going to be my definitive version due to the better controller and no input lag. lol

Sagitario

I wouldn't mind a Legendia remake at all.
The world needs more Norma...

ibuHFhKiZrRqMa.gif

This was the first GIF I ever did IIRC, so many years ago :p

Really wish they would have taken this opportunity to improve some stuff.

Oh, well.

Yep, missed opportunity! :(

Dvide

Banned
Why not multiplat? I know there's this Japanesu <3 PS3 thing going on, but with an American/Europian release, wouldn't an Xbox 360-version bring even more of teh moneyz?

Seda

Why not multiplat? I know there's this Japanesu <3 PS3 thing going on, but with an American/Europian release, wouldn't an Xbox 360-version bring even more of teh moneyz?

Baba has stated many times now that the Japanese audience is still the audience of focus here, and they are very largely on PS3

Rocky

Banned
I wouldn't mind a Legendia remake at all.
The world needs more Norma...

ibuHFhKiZrRqMa.gif

This was the first GIF I ever did IIRC, so many years ago :p

Yep, missed opportunity! :(

Norma's... the best... ever... YEAH! I agree, Norma is still one of my favorite Tales characters of all the games.

Sora_N

I didn't expect this, wonder if they'll redub it since the first game was dubbed by Nintendo no?

I didn't get a chance to finish the GC version and I lost my memory card so I may just wait for this.

demidar

I didn't expect this, wonder if they'll redub it since the first game was dubbed by Nintendo no?

I didn't get a chance to finish the GC version and I lost my memory card so I may just wait for this.

Doubt it, expect the most barebones, lazy port imaginable. Anything slightly better than that will be a huge surprise.

Flamfas

I usually buy at GameStop so I don't have to deal with shipping, but I'm tempted to pre-order this now in case the price goes up ... Not that a $40 price tag would be shocking given it is a remaster.

No voiced skits for Symphonia, I assume?

Not for NA unless they redo the game with new actors, or rehire Scott Menville, Tara Strong, etc. who have become much more popular (and expensive no doubt) as voice actors since then. :(

If Namco did fork out the cash for that though, I'd buy the next 5 Tales games by default, even if they sucked, just to show my support. lol

Regarding the skits not being voiced though... Symphonia was my first Tales game, as it was for many of us. I shopped around and played earlier versions later, but back then no voice over on the skits was fine. I really enjoyed the charm of the skits. Since then I've become spoiled, and expect it. Voiced skits was one of the very few things about Symphonia 2 that I really liked and appreciated. But if they leave it as is for this remake, I'm fine with it. I'd rather they do that and keep the old voices than to redo everything and voice the skits I think. It would be like going to watch an old cartoon that you loved, and the voices were changed.

Mikhal

I guess for $40 I'm not going to complain too much about the lack of voiced skits in Symphonia. I'd have definitely passed at $60. I too am spoiled by the voiced skits.

Flamfas

To be fair almost every HD collection out today is only $40. I'm hoping for a CE or LE though. Wouldn't mind a steelcase, artbook, music cd and kratos figure.

Yeah, I'm not surprised either, but it's still good to see.

(Changing topics), wonder if this will be at E3 at all.

Banned
My first Tales experience was last summer with Tales of Graces F. I loved it. I plan on buying Tales of Xillia. Apparently Symphonia for the GameCube is the most critically acclaimed of them all so I'm wondering if I should jump on this? I might even try the sequel (which according to GAF, sucks).

So voiced skits in the US/EU version definitely aren't happening?
I'm afraid I'm gonna have to pass then.

Besides, I've already played through Symphonia once. Maybe I should look into Graces.

Top Bottom