• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Symphonia Unisonant Pack announced for PS3 [Screens/Videos in OP]

Seda

My first Tales experience was last summer with Tales of Graces F. I loved it. I plan on buying Tales of Xillia. Apparently Symphonia for the GameCube is the most critically acclaimed of them all so I'm wondering if I should jump on this? I might even try the sequel (which according to GAF, sucks).

The gameplay difference going from Graces to Symphonia is quite the jump.

example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k94ft_dRljM#t=0m30s

It does, in my opinion, have a better cast of characters (along with some bad eggs) and a better overall story. But it plays very differently from Graces.

Symphonia 2 has a much weaker lead character than most Tales games, and they replaced a party with monster teammates. It's an okay game but it made a lot of changes people didn't care for.

My first Tales experience was last summer with Tales of Graces F. I loved it. I plan on buying Tales of Xillia. Apparently Symphonia for the GameCube is the most critically acclaimed of them all so I'm wondering if I should jump on this? I might even try the sequel (which according to GAF, sucks).

Well the series, especially the battle system has evolved greatly since then. But if you don't mind the older style, you're in for a treat. Cool little story, very loveable characters, and lots of replay value.

Banned
I love turn based RPG's like Pokemon and PS1 JRPGS or SNES JRPGS. But Tales of Graces F was refreshing and I love it too. I'm sure I'll enjoy them both.

Banned
The gameplay difference going from Graces to Symphonia is quite the jump.

example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k94ft_dRljM#t=0m30s

It does, in my opinion, have a better cast of characters (along with some bad eggs) and a better overall story. But it plays very differently from Graces.

Symphonia 2 has a much weaker lead character than most Tales games, and they replaced a party with monster teammates. It's an okay game but it made a lot of changes people didn't care for.

Whoa, I just watched that video. Is that soundtrack in the English version too? Fucken awesome!

Soriku

Sakuraba in his early days was pretty damn awesome. His Star Ocean and Valkyrie Profile soundtracks were great too.

What happened to that guy? Drugs? His skill got worse over time.

His Baten Kaitos work is amazing, Origins especially. His stuff after that is kinda hit or miss.

He did compose one great song for Resonance of Fate though, Red Hot Choi Polis.

Seda

There are only 2, maybe 3, tracks from Vesperia that I liked, and 1 or 2 from Graces. It definitely has gotten spotty for me.

Rhapsody

Banned
For Tales music, I feel like Symphonia was the last Tales OST I enjoyed. That game and the ones before it had pretty good music.
I haven't gotten far in Rebirth, but Abyss and every Tales game afterwards felt more recycle than they usually do with maybe 1 or 2 good songs. Graces was the low point for me while Xillia stepped it up a bit.

And while not Sakuraba, Legendia had good music too.

Seda

You guys perfer the Japanese opening music sung or the rearranged version most Western version of Tales have?

Usually the Japanese openings, although English Ring a Bell was pretty darn good. Also, the English Symphonia opening is decent, because the instrumentation is very true to the game's soundtrack.

But what they did to Abyss? That was the worst.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I'd say that Xillia and Xillia 2 have the best OST in the series. Symphonia's is pretty good. Abyss is very... bland. Vesperia is my second favorite though many would say that it's also fairly generic. Doesn't really matter since Sakuraba's best work is Eternal Sonata.

Soriku

There are only 2, maybe 3, tracks from Vesperia that I liked, and 1 or 2 from Graces. It definitely has gotten spotty for me.

Xillia seems like it's an improvement but I don't know how much (haven't listened to the whole soundtrack yet). Unlike a lot of other Tales it's a solo Sakuraba work. I particularly like Jude and Milla's battle themes, and this pretty cool jazz track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOG-MAK9ZQk

Sakuraba should do more jazz, his jazz stuff in Star Ocean 3 was really good.

This one is also solid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VwZFGZLBgk

Usually the Japanese openings, although English Ring a Bell was pretty darn good. Also, the English Symphonia opening is decent, because the instrumentation is very true to the game's soundtrack.

But what they did to Abyss? That was the worst.

Eternia didn't have my favorite OST, but I liked this battle theme http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_FOFpdtNAA

The Japanese sung OP sung. It's part of what makes Tales for me.

Yeah similar feelings, the rearranged one in Dawn of the New World felt lazy =/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvTjcNd8mT4
Whilst the Japanese version pumped you up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5F8OuDQ4go

Jubern

Favourite soundtrack from the series is definitely Legendia. It's too bad the game itself was really so-so, but the music is overall untouchable in my eyes. Soundtrack version is recommended as it had been re-arranged.

Then might come Destiny PS2. The original Destiny soundtrack was alright, but the redone PS2 soundtrack is just awesome.

Abyss is another good one for me. It's a really big soundtrack which unfortunately had a lot of trash/generic stuff, but it has more than enough memorable tracks to rank really high in my list. Special mention for the battle themes (especially the cameo battle medley) & the world map themes. The very last part of the game was perfect in that aspect, the music played has a lot to do with my memories of the ending: great final dungeon theme, great battle themes and the best ending track of the series IMO.

TBQH I never found Symphonia OST to be that strong. Don't hate it either, though.

Overall, the Tales series always seemed like kind of a throwaway effort from Sakuraba, to me. A few good tracks here and there, and let's call it a day with the rest... Also, the track use can be pretty bad in some titles. Vesperia, Xillia and maybe Graces too (not sure anymore) all had the "that track" syndrome, where the same track would play every fucking time something sad or whatever happened. Can't be bothered to check for Xillia, but for Vesperia I'm talking about Serenade of the Morning Star, for instance.

Seda

Vesperia, Xillia and maybe Graces too (not sure anymore) all had the "that track" syndrome, where the same track would play every fucking time something sad or whatever happened. Can't be bothered to check for Xillia, but for Vesperia I'm talking about Serenade of the Morning Star, for instance.

For me it was Chance for a Big Reversal. It just played too often, and in several cases, didn't seem to fit. It's not a bad track, but the overuse mostly ruined it.

I did like it as the track that plays when you team up with Flynn outside Aurnion though.

Soriku

Abyss is another good one for me. It's a really big soundtrack which unfortunately had a lot of trash/generic stuff, but it has more than enough memorable tracks to rank really high in my list. Special mention for the battle themes (especially the cameo battle medley) & the world map themes. The very last part of the game was perfect in that aspect, the music played has a lot to do with my memories of the ending: great final dungeon theme, great battle themes and the best ending track of the series IMO.

The world map themes in Abyss were basically just generic Sakuraba orchestral tracks to me :/

Abyss actually had a really great final boss theme that I feel fell under the radar...I believe this is the second theme played.

A Place in the Sun

ohlawd

I'm with Roto.

Japanese version sounds like a super terrible Bleach opening. I'm a sucker for orchestrated stuff though.

OnFire331

For me it was Chance for a Big Reversal. It just played too often, and in several cases, didn't seem to fit. It's not a bad track, but the overuse mostly ruined it.

I did like it as the track that plays when you team up with Flynn outside Aurnion though.

Some tracks (mostly the scene ones) are certainly overused, there wasn't much variety there. Still it's one hell of a soundtrack and I quite like the tradition of the series to switch the battle and world map tracks in each one of the three acts the games' narratives are usually divided.

I still don't why this track was only used in one place, it's one of the best in Vesperia's soundtrack:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VrXrjxy8Js

It's been ages since ToS came out and I cannot remember but anyone remember any of the most annoying sidequests that will no doubt be a gold trophy XD

Zelos's Giglo title and Collette's dog lover feels like a silver/bronze trophy unless they put get all title into gold =S

Seda

Isn't this Vesperia's third battle theme? At least a different arrangement of that track is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lwyz756Mzw

I like that version of it a lot.

It plays in that one crystal cavern. Eruulman or whatever.

Honestly, I don't like it at all :/

Vesperia's battle theme sort of sucks imo.

Speaking of Vesperia, this theme owns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Esv6U2dCqc0

I like the Giganto Monster music and The Wise One. But didn't really care for the regular battle musics.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

Bladenic

Legendia had more than a few GREAT tracks. But overall, I still give the edge to Symphonia.

I agree.

Symphonia > Legendia = Vesperia (really liked Vesperia personally) > Rebirth > the rest that I've played

The weakest would be either Hearts or Graces. Actually Graces is definitely the weakest.

After both Xillia games, I'm expecting the quality of the series soundtracks to go up from here since Shinji Tamura doesn't seem to be involved in the series anymore. It always seemed odd to me that all of Sakuraba's recent work on other games was just so much better than his Tales stuff, but it always slipped my mind that he wasn't working alone on these games.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I don't know why no other Tales town theme reaches this quality...
Part of it, at least for me, personally, is the view you see immediately upon entering Dahngrest. It works so well with the music and just sets up the atmosphere for a guild city so well. The town's architectural design is fantastic, too.

Tales-of-vesperia-review.jpg

Bladenic

My favorite Vesperia track is called something like Decision of the People. That's probably the wrong name, but it's a late game track that's a remix of Ring a Bell.

Edit: Resolution of the People. There we go.

I'm down for this, been long enough that i'm willing to double dip.

not port begging, but it would be nice to see this on the Wii U

Top Bottom