• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword announced for Wii [N-CONF]

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
GeneralIroh said:
Summer in Japan, November in the west

I wonder what zelda related swag they're giving away at SDCC? I got a Zelda SS t-shirt from the E3 booth but its too big for me.
Nintendo won't make America wait months for Zelda. Spirit Tracks was released in the US before Japan, and Metroid: Other M will be too.

Navi___Hey_Listen_by_GENZOMAN.jpg

The_Legend_of_ZELDA_by_captainosaka.png

TSA said:
Nintendo will be at Comic-Con (NOT JUST POKEMON COMPANY). Check out their updated exhibitor's list. Nintendo hasn't gone in years to Comic-Con. Could Zelda make an appearance?

Now for everyone to go and ask why there's no accessibility options for Zelda. And the 3DS.

Krev said:
Nintendo won't make America wait months for Zelda. Spirit Tracks was released in the US before Japan, and Metroid: Other M will be too.
This.

Nintendo knows who likes what the most . . . Pokemon company/ GF or who ever the fuck is in charge of Pokemon just doesn't like to translate it faster for us.

miksar

No reason to delay if it is ready early 2011. The massive Twilight Princess delay certainly didn't help and as far as i know Nintendo learns from its mistakes.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I've always wanted a huge Nintendo game to be released in early January, right after Christmas. Would help comfort you during the post-holiday blues.

TunaLover

Zelda SS will take place before OoT
http://www.zeldadungeon.net/2010/07/skyward-sword-before-ocarina-of-time-in-timeline/

Eiji Aonuma said:
"Yes there is a master timeline but its confidential document!” explains Aunuma-san. “The only people to have access to that document are myself, Mr. Miyamoto and the director of the title. We cant share it with anyone else! I have already talked to Mr. Miyamoto about this so I am comfortable in releasing this information – this title [Skyward Sword] takes place before Ocarina of Time. If I said that a certain title was ‘the first Zelda game’, then that means that we cant ever make a title that takes place before that! So for us to add titles to the series, we have to have a way of putting the titles before or after each other.”

The Zelda master timeline document is real!
Mind blowed

AniHawk

methodman said:
The only way to get to this "confidential document" is through extraction, a la Inception. In a safe locked somewhere in Miyamoto's dreams.

I'm going to need JGL, Ellen Page, and Tom Hardy for this one. Ken Watanabe better stay the fuck awake.

miksar

If 'the earlier a 3D Zelda in timeline the better it is' works, we're in for a treat.

Is it going to be about creation of Master Sword then?

Cygnus X-1

TunaLover said:
Zelda SS will take place before OoT
http://www.zeldadungeon.net/2010/07/skyward-sword-before-ocarina-of-time-in-timeline/

The Zelda master timeline document is real!
Mind blowed

I wonder how many years before OoT, Skyward Sword will take place. In particular, it would be interesting to include the origin of all the races, of the Master Sword and of the green tunic.

And of course a plot telling more about the Triforce would be great; there are countless possibilities in creating some deep plot.

Additionally, I would be curious hearing more about the death of Link's mother and before, i.e. it would be nice to know something more about the parents of Link.

Cygnus X-1

...the plot, which takes Link on a journey from its native Skyloft to the perilous grounds below. "Basically what leads Link on this adventure is the Skyward Sword", explains Aonuma-san. "When that sword is actively guiding Link, it actually transform into a feminine figure".
"I wouldn't say that it's female per se, but it's a feminine figure". So that'l be Princess Zelda, right?
Wrong!
"It would be kind of nice to keep this a mistery, but I can tel you right now that it's not Zelda." Consider us told.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Cygnus X-1 said:
...the plot, which takes Link on a journey from its native Skyloft to the perilous grounds below. "Basically what leads Link on this adventure is the Skyward Sword", explains Aonuma-san. "When that sword is actively guiding Link, it actually transform into a feminine figure".
"I wouldn't say that it's female per se, but it's a feminine figure". So that'l be Princess Zelda, right?
Wrong!
"It would be kind of nice to keep this a mistery, but I can tel you right now that it's not Zelda." Consider us told.

My guess is we're going to get
sky-ships and floating islands.
. Or at least I hope so. They've done land and water enough.

Cygnus X-1

I think it's quite important and should make things more clear for someone around here:

Aonuma said:
"It's hard, obviously, to introduce major changes into the Zelda gameplay, and one of the reasons for that is that we have some traditional elements that we have protected and continued throughout the series", says Aonuma-san of the older games.
"You have a field, you have dungeons, and there is a line across which area you are in , and which style of gameplay you are partecipating in".

Told ya.

More - SPOILER

"So what we've tried with Skyward Sword is to introduce some new elements. This time there are larger fields and dungeons that don't feel like dungeons or fields, but also incorporate some of those elements." "We are re-imaging some of the traditional gameplay elements".

Well, as I guessed.

Cygnus X-1 said:
I think it's quite important and should make things more clear for someone around here:

Told ya.

More - SPOILER

"So what we've tried with Skyward Sword is to introduce some new elements. This time there are larger fields and dungeons that don't feel like dungeons or fields, but also incorporate some of those elements." "We are re-imaging some of the traditional gameplay elements".

Well, as I guessed.
Sounds like I was totally 100% correct. Thanks for proving me correct, I guess?

jetjevons said:
My guess is we're going to get
sky-ships and floating islands.
. Or at least I hope so. They've done land and water enough.

Zelda meets Skies of Arcadia...? Count me in!!!!

seriously though, this is my most wanted game bar none.

just hope you can turn of that on screen display... or was that just for e3???

Cygnus X-1

EmCeeGramr said:
Sounds like I was totally 100% correct. Thanks for proving me correct, I guess?

Is there no point right now saying that what i meant was exactly this, i.e. "a too conservative approach", right?

Sounds about right to me. The fact that the E3 demo was just a test environment and that the trailer only showed off areas from the E3 demo indicated that it was very early.

I feared that it was at the same stage as Twilight Princess was at E3 2004 (basically only having a test environment done). This at least indicates that its around the same point as TP was in late 2005, which is better than my worst fears at least!

The game will probably get delayed and come out Q4 2011 (just as I predicted).

Dies Iræ

Zelda is "coming out in November 2011 because internal development teams are focusing on 3DS titles and we have no third party support."

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Miyamoto is always so vague with these sort of statements it's impossible to really know how far along the game is. Judging by his previous comments, I would guess that the content is all done but they just need to get on with the long polishing period that Zelda games seem to require. He did say that had the art-style not changed, the game would have been released this year.

BTW, that Pocket Lint interview has a little tidbit about Mario Kart 3DS.

“You’re right. We’ve found that pulling the camera far back to observe the car racing works really well".

So MK3DS is probably going to have a camera angle that's further back than in previous games. I wonder if they'll also bring back the MKSC style red/blue shells? - the ones that follow you for a bit and give you a split second to dodge out of the way (since you can see it moving closer to you clearly in 3D)

-MB-

Like this wasn't common knowledge by now, every console Zelda gets delayed several times.
Not for a second I believed spring 2011 would be the final release date.

AniHawk

Ushojax said:
Miyamoto is always so vague with these sort of statements it's impossible to really know how far along the game is. Judging by his previous comments, I would guess that the content is all done but they just need to get on with the long polishing period that Zelda games seem to require. He did say that had the art-style not changed, the game would have been released this year.

Or controls were significantly changed in some aspects, rendering some puzzles useless, leading to the reworking of certain dungeons/areas.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
AniHawk said:
Or controls were significantly changed in some aspects, rendering some puzzles useless, leading to the reworking of certain dungeons/areas.

Or maybe they started over after they cancelled it when people were disappointed with it at E3.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
AniHawk said:

Like I said, he is always so aloof with these comments we will never know. The only thing that they have ever mentioned as taking more time than they expected was the change in visual style.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
trinest said:
But the thing is though we where told differently? Didn't they say it was on the final stretch or something before?

Its hard to pin point what, exactly, he means by the game being 'half complete'. If I recall correctly they said at E3 that the 'game' side of things was mostly done, outside of a dungeon or two, which would leave most of the remaining time to be spent on the graphics, audio, and presentation.

That might seem like the last stretch, but in the grand scheme of things all those assets take up a lot of time. He might mean that now they are half finished with the game.

Either that or a table has been up-ended.

Still think that a June/July is doable but if nov 2011 is better for the game I have no problem with that.
Yeah delays are bad but I want the game to be as perfect as it can be so I want them to take their time on it.

AniHawk

Nov 11 kinda boggles the mind. 5 full years between console Zeldas. Only other time it happened was... ALttP -> OoT. Although that was 6 years. And back then there was Link's Awakening in-between. This time it's the shitty Phantom Hourglass and its frustrating-yet-superior sequel (for a combined total of negative Link's Awakening).

vall03

and here I thought Skyward Sword would get the same release pattern with Super Mario Galaxy 2... guess I was wrong :( late 2011 seems to be the probable release

AniHawk said:
Nov 11 kinda boggles the mind. 5 full years between console Zeldas. Only other time it happened was... ALttP -> OoT. Although that was 6 years. And back then there was Link's Awakening in-between. This time it's the shitty Phantom Hourglass and its frustrating-yet-superior sequel (for a combined total of negative Link's Awakening).
I can't find a fault with your math no matter how I crunch the triforces.

Top Bottom