• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Corps (The Beatles) and MTV to hold a press conference tomorrow! Set HYPE = MAX

StuBurns

Banned
TheGreatDave said:
If it's DLC I'll be very surprised. The Beatles deserve better.
Agreed.

It should be all (or nearly all) of their tracks, standalone release, available with new specific Beatles instruments, and game only.

GodMike

Banned
I hope this comes out as a standalone disc so I can see the GAF hypocrites laud it as the second coming after trashing the GH model of band specific discs.

qwerty2k

agree, stand alone edition (since i only want to buy rockband for the beatles!) with lots and lots of tracks and beatles esque instruments would be awesome.

GodMike said:
I hope this comes out as a standalone disc so I can see the GAF hypocrites laud it as the second coming after trashing the GH model of band specific discs.

That ship has sailed. If it has an export code that makes everything OK, apparently.

C4Lukins

GodMike said:

If it is transferable into Rock Band 2 then it will not by hypocritical at all. Plus it is the Beatles, and not Aerosmith.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
They'd be absolute fools not to put this out as a standalone disc.

StuBurns

Banned
Plinko said:
Exactly.

Marketing DLC is so far, not reliable, then there is confusion of people as to which plastic guitar game they have to buy to get the Beatles. Needs to be a game with something like 'Meet the BEATLES!' in massive letters on the box. Nothing less will do.

C4Lukins said:
If it is transferable into Rock Band 2 then it will not by hypocritical at all. Plus it is the Beatles, and not Aerosmith.

The arguement was always "what if I only want one or two songs? I have to buy the whole disc?!". An arguement people seem to have dropped now...

pilonv1

Comparing a possible RB Beatles disc with GH Aerosmith is laughable. Like comparing a fine three course meal with instant ramen.

birdman

TheGreatDave said:
The arguement was always "what if I only want one or two songs? I have to buy the whole disc?!". An arguement people seem to have dropped now...

It got tiring for people to bitch about the inevitable.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
TheGreatDave said:

This goes back to the whole "it's the Beatles" point though. I honestly want to see what they cook up in terms of packaging, interface, etc. for the potential Beatles standalone game. It could be very cool beyond just the songs.

terrene

Banned
gutshot said:
First iTunes and now this? The Beatles are a bunch of sellouts.
How dare they involve themselves in iTunes and Rock Band, two of the most awesome things ever. They should return to their indie roots, selling hundreds of millions of records!

I know you were kidding :p

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
TheGreatDave said:

You have to realize Beatles love trounces all other love out there; that is the love at work here. Not system wars, or the even more pathetic Activision v. Harmonix wars. All of that is piddling and irrelevant compared to this megaton.

CoilShot

Plinko said:

QFT... Plus a lot of people would buy the disc just to play it only(people that have never played Rock Band I mean or are only interested in the Beatles).

AstroLad said:
This goes back to the whole "it's the Beatles" point though. I honestly want to see what they cook up in terms of packaging, interface, etc. for the potential Beatles standalone game. It could be very cool beyond just the songs.

I'm in favour of it. I'm just pointing out how the GAF hive mind has changed, not just for this but ACDC too.

StuBurns

Banned
The Beatles are different though. It's just not the same thing at all. The Beatles and a few other bands, such as Led Zeppelin, are so tight with licensing, and have such strong catalogues that a standalone release is effectively the only way it could happen. Because to warrant them selling out, they'd want the extra cash a standalone release would make.

Zachack

TheGreatDave said:
I'm in favour of it. I'm just pointing out how the GAF hive mind has changed, not just for this but ACDC too.
Funny, I don't recall much in the way of praise for ACDC from people who trashed GHA, other than "well, it's better than GHA because you can export".
The Beatles are different though. It's just not the same thing at all. The Beatles and a few other bands, such as Led Zeppelin, are so tight with licensing, and have such strong catalogues that a standalone release is effectively the only way it could happen. Because to warrant them selling out, they'd want the extra cash a standalone release would make.
Eh, AC/DC is claiming the same thing but they certainly don't qualify as warranting the extra bucks. Of course, realizing this (that the Beatles or Led Zeppelin are the exception) is what separates a rational person from a bitter fanboy.

Bulla564

Banned
I would pay $60 for a stand-alone containing a mere 10 songs from the Beatles.

For months, I listened to them every day, and all I did was picture me playing their songs on Rock Band.

M3wThr33

Banned
My problem has never been the pricing, rather the face that standalones meant songs were held out from the main game or dlc in order to have that pack. Exporting gets around that by allowing the bundle to exist and people to be happy without disc swaps. Plus Dave gets his acheivements.

C4Lukins

TheGreatDave said:

You have very selective perception when it comes to the various arguments that were used against the Aerosmith game. The main being that you could only play the tracks in a gimped version of Guitar Hero 3. I would prefer not to be stuck only purchasing a bands songs in one giant package, but the bigger issue is whether or not those songs can be put onto the platform of my choice.

I think the Beatles are also a different animal altogether. They have a mythology and a ton of unique things you could do with the band that you just cannot do with any other band as far as standalone. Yellow Submarine levels, the Ed Sullivan show, Shea Stadium, that rooftop concert, a Sgt. Pepper themed stage, Helter Skelter with the Manson family singers, it goes on and on.

dude

dude
Yeah, so, Rock Band 2 wins.
It will obviously be offered as a stand-alone release, I just hoped the tracks will also be available via DLC, even after a while... Though I don't really mind, I'd but a standalone, Fuck, I'd buy 5 copies.

12pm til 6pm GMT is a UK based Rock Band 2 special event for the press tomorrow: Sony BMG is on hand, as is HMX. I'll be there - thought it was just for a launch! Might be, but that doesn't mean I won't make it more.

I will ask questions on this. Yes.

vg260

I don't care what band it is, I think the idea of a band-specific-game at this point sucks. If they offer the same export feature as the AC/Dc pack, so it's all playable in one place, then it's all good.

2&2 said:
I don't care what band it is, I think the idea of a band-specific-game at this point sucks. If they offer the same export feature as the AC/Dc pack, so it's all playable in one place, then it's all good.

of course they will.

StuBurns

Banned
Clever Pun said:
now THIS might get my mom to play video games.
My parents completely disregard the whole medium (which has irritated me for years). They'll dig out my PS2 for this, no doubt.

Darkpen

Banned
stuburns said:
My parents completely disregard the whole medium (which has irritated me for years). They'll dig out my PS2 for this, no doubt.
they'll be excited for the first 10 minutes, then after just utter frustration with trying to time the strum with holding down a colored key, they'll give up, never touching the peripheral ever again. Same goes with the drums.

StuBurns

Banned
Darkpen said:
they'll be excited for the first 10 minutes, then after just utter frustration with trying to time the strum with holding down a colored key, they'll give up, never touching the peripheral ever again. Same goes with the drums.
I know, means I don't have to buy it! Exciting.

Joe Molotov

GodMike said:

It's not hard to understand why this is.

Export Codes.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
TheGreatDave said:
That ship has sailed. If it has an export code that makes everything OK, apparently.

Err, there are two major complaints about disc-based expansions.
1) Inconvenience / disc switching
2) Value / can't buy selected songs

I would wager, and I speak personally, in saying that the first is 100% of my objection to disc-based expansions in theory and about 75% of my objection to them in practice. Export codes solve this issue.

The value issue is a practical objection that comes down to the number of songs, the price, and the percentage of songs you're interested in. I will not buy AC/DC because the price is not right and I am only interested in maybe a quarter of the songs. If the Beatles one was cheaper, had more songs, or had a tracklist I entirely liked, the value proposition would change.

Is this too complicated? Are the only possibilities to you "awesome like GreatDave" or "Stupid like GAFMONIX FANBOYZ"? I mean, its okay for you to disagree about disc based expansions, but do you seriously believe everyone here secretly loved Guitar Hero Aerosmith but complained about it because they're Harmonix fanboys self-flagellating and denying themselves music games?

StuBurns

Banned
But to look at it from the other side, DLC doesn't sell even nearly as well as the disc versions. Aerosmith would easily have made more money doing what they did as appose to releasing it as DLC, because it would have had to be cheaper, and people wouldn't buy it all if they could choose.

The Beatles and Aerosmith are so far apart it's insane to think that they don't warrant their own stand alone release. I would say that Rock Band Beatles would outsell Rock Band 1 and 2. Together.

The Beatles are the biggest band of all time, they can still do whatever they want.

stuburns said:
But to look at it from the other side, DLC doesn't sell even nearly as well as the disc versions. Aerosmith would easily have made more money doing what they did as appose to releasing it as DLC, because it would have had to be cheaper, and people wouldn't buy it all if they could choose.

The Beatles and Aerosmith are so far apart it's insane to think that they don't warrant their own stand alone release. I would say that Rock Band Beatles would outsell Rock Band 1 and 2. Together.

The Beatles are the biggest band of all time, they can still do whatever they want.

RB1 is at like 4-5 million copies sold. I would assume RB2 is probably close to a million right now. The beatles are huge but I doubt they will sell 5-6 million copies of RB:Beatles. UNLESS it is a full 60$ boxed product with the same value that RB2 has.

StuBurns

Banned
BigBlackGamer said:
RB1 is at like 4-5 million copies sold. I would assume RB2 is probably close to a million right now. The beatles are huge but I doubt they will sell 5-6 million copies of RB:Beatles. UNLESS it is a full 60$ boxed product with the same value that RB2 has.
RB: Beatles would be brought by many people who already buy RB. It will also get people to play it for the first time, because the Beatles catalogue so outclasses any fisherprice guitar game so far it's embarrassing to even compare them. And RB: Beatles could be on sale for years. RB2 will be obsolete the second RB3 is released.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Even if its just a Beatles sticker that you place on your guitar that costs $300, I’ll buy seven of them. If this involves a plastic Rickenbacker I’ll never use any other controller for any game ever again, FPS’s and fighting games included.

M3wThr33 said:
Now to get Ringo to autograph my copy of it.
Now it makes sense. This is why Ringo won't be signing fans things anymore. He's going to be working like a slave signing all the LE copies of the game.

Top Bottom