• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom @ ComicCon: "You saved my job so I'm going to troll everyone" (SFIII Online)

Kimosabae

Banned
TreIII said:
What I was insinuating in my original quote is that, again, it's not really a problem until the fan base has nothing to play, and therefore, definitely sees a clear and present problem.

So to me, the best answer is to just play it smarter, and make sure people have something to play. Keep the scene healthy with an equally healthy variety of games to play. In other words, don't "drop the combo", Capcom. :lol

So you don't think Capcom could suffer potential diminishing returns from being subject to combo damage scaling, when they could simply reset their opponent for an opportunity to garner more wholesome damage later? Sure, it would take a good read of the market's okizeme options, but I think past matches have clearly shown the market is more inclined to be defensive on wakeup when recovering from a large string of hits. Therefore, I think "playing it smarter" for Capcom, would mean going for the educated guess, rather than simply getting greedy and settling for the guaranteed, yet, heavily scaled damage.

Dizzle24

Watchig G4 Attack of The Show and they just announced that it's Namco vs Capcom. Said they will use street fighter 4 engine for one version, Tekken 6 engine for the other version...so 2 games?...

LowParry

Dizzle24 said:
Watchig G4 Attack of The Show and they just announced that it's Namco vs Capcom. Said they will use street fighter 4 engine for one version, Tekken 6 engine for the other version...so 2 games?...

As rumors suggest.

Platy

Any new info ? pics ? teaser trailer ? press release ?

Anything that proves that they aren't just "reposting" the rumors ?

Snakeyes

Dizzle24 said:

Noooooo :(

LowParry

Ya know, that right image has me going for as being Jin. The thick bushy eyebrows and the hair.

mello said:
L.jpg

LowParry

Lyte Edge said:
I'd say something here but I promised I wouldn't say what I know. :D

You and MarkMan. I swear to god. You tease us and yet it's like you're saying the rumors are true. :lol

Dizzle24 said:
my dreams of shonen vs. capcom shattered :(

oh well arc has an announcement on the 23rd, i'm hype

Platy

it is a VS game ... this means shinku shoryukens of the size of the screen..... fighting aginst ... people with only punches ?

The more i think about it, the less sense it makes

Dizzy-4U

Platy said:
it is a VS game ... this means shinku shoryukens of the size of the screen..... fighting aginst ... people with only punches ?

Well, it didn't worked like that in Capcom Vs SNK, so there's still hope.

Also, nice teasing there in your twitter Markman >_>

Platy said:

I'm thinking closer to CvS2?

TreIII

Kimosabae said:
So you don't think Capcom could suffer potential diminishing returns from being subject to combo damage scaling, when they could simply reset their opponent for an opportunity to garner more wholesome damage later? Sure, it would take a good read of the market's okizeme options, but I think past matches have clearly shown the market is more inclined to be defensive on wakeup when recovering from a large string of hits. Therefore, I think "playing it smarter" for Capcom, would mean going for the educated guess, rather than simply getting greedy and settling for the guaranteed, yet, heavily scaled damage.

Each strategy has its risks, but I think staying on the offensive is what could stand to benefit the Capcom groove more.

Again, as the past match-ups showcased, trying to go more conservative is what caused Capcom to be practically shut out entirely. The notion of "Empty canceling" only works if you stand to have something really big afterward, that makes it all the worthwhile. That's not what can be said for the likes of CvS2 -> CFJ. At all. :lol

But seriously, as long as the West still does more to go to the beat of Capcom's drum, the market is theirs. Mix-ups (with different styles of fighting games that can cater to different markets) is the way to go about it, and that seems to be the overall tone they're taking, since we don't stand to see SF5 for another few years any way. Besides, they're not even making the games themselves any more. They're getting code monkey devs like 8ing and Dimps to do it, which only makes things that much easier for them.

So, again, my thinking is like this: now that the the mass-market is basically docile enough that they'll likely buy anything that Capcom puts out, it's on Capcom themselves to keep it that way. And the best way to do that is to make sure that there's at least one answer per year, if not two. MvC3 being a more "casual" game, while a Namco-Capcom prospect stands to be much more hardcore, could definitely do more to repeat what TvC and SSF4 did this year, dynamic-wise.

Platy

more delicious quotes* from Ono !

RT @Louie_E Capcom Vs. Namco running on the SSFIV engine! ;]
I wish I could see that title just once. :)

RT @Jamgief The news is out! Tell the truth! http://kotaku.com/5591240/rumor-namco-vs-capcom-capcom-vs-namco-in-development :p
It would almost take a miracle to achieve it!! :D

RT @ShinAkka plz make ur version of cap vs nam better than namcos!
I'll call Harada-san as Namco to determine if a make can be arranged. :D

RT @Nederob Can you explain the philosophy behind two games Cap vs Nam&Nam vs Cap?Cooperation impossible?
It's very difficult for them. :p

A lot people ask me "Can the rumor be true? " :p That sounds interesting. :D It's difficult to substantiate.
P_m.jpg

Now, I called Harada-san as Tekken Project Leader. He was laughing about Rumor.

RT @zenga83: why else are you so focusing about Harada-san?
Fufufu,Harada-san and I had known each other as friends for many. :D

RT @JoeAmoudi: what do you think of this ? http://bit.ly/9jTEUJ
You're good! It's quick at work. :D

RT @JPBreganza: Haha we're all so anxious to kno what is going on! What else is there to hide?
Fufufu, Plz wait, on Saturday. :p

*not really

If the rumors turn out to be true, I wonder if we'll see 'only' Namco characters, or if they'll try to pull in some other Bandai properties as well.

Kimosabae

Banned
TreIII said:
So, again, my thinking is like this: now that the the mass-market is basically docile enough that they'll likely buy anything that Capcom puts out, it's on Capcom themselves to keep it that way.

Don't know why you even assume this but or why you feel SF4 actually sells to the mass-market - which is demonstrably false, but whatever.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Um yes, it is big. For a fighting game that's already a huge amount.

Phoenix Fang said:
Exactly.

Ryu IMO is one of the worst characters in Street Fighter.

Ken >>>> Ryu fact.

Pfft, people just like Ken more because he's a dudebro.

On the one hand, I don't want it to be SF vs Tekken because they've used so many characters for SSF4 (and I hope they add more via dlc) that there's barely any more I'd like to see in that engine. But, I dunno if I'd want a Capcom vs Namco considering this would be the 3rd VS game in like 2 years (oversaturating)...

Kimosabae

Banned
Ookami-kun said:
Um yes, it is big. For a fighting game that's already a huge amount.

Pfft, people just like Ken more because he's a dudebro.

Keep in mind this is world wide. For a fighting game, yes, that's very successful. Trying to play it off as a blockbuster success is disingenuous. 2.7 units is hardly mass-critical. Not even close. There's about 70 million 360/PS3 units in the wild.

TreIII

Kimosabae said:
And you consider 2 million units to be "mass-market"?

Industry doom: imminent.

As mass market as the "traditional" fighting game mold is going to get. SF4 served its purpose in this light, and obviously, Capcom was pleased with the results. MvC3 will likely continue in this same vein.

I mean seriously, if you're expecting the likes of SF or Soul Calibur to be able to match the likes of Smash Bros. Brawl's LTD sales, then I don't know what to say. :lol

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
El Sloth said:
And how is this a bad thing?

Oh I didn't say that it's a bad thing, just pointing it out. :p

I am not particularly fond with any shoto-character save Dan because in essence they're all the same in attitude, just "tweaked".

Kimosabae said:
Keep in mind this is world wide. For a fighting game, yes, that's very successful. Trying to play it off as a blockbuster success is disingenuous. 2.7 units is hardly mass-critical. Not even close. There's about 70 million 360/PS3 units in the wild.

It's the genre - it's naturally not meant to have a mass appeal. Thankfully SF4 has something to back on, same with Marvel.

Top Bottom