• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB 2016 Week 0: The Big Aloha from Down Under

Sorry, but r/cfb already decided that our HATED B1G RIVAL is Penn State earlier this offseason.

Use my dismissal to FUEL YOUR HATE

What can I say, Texas Tech is so irrelevant that no one bothered to give you guys a real rival. They just decided to match you up against a team that every other team in the world hates.

Krejlooc

Banned
What can I say, Texas Tech is so irrelevant that no one bothered to give you guys a real rival. They just decided to match you up against a team that every other team in the world hates.

Texas Tech has a real rival. It's Texas A&M. Aggys are so insecure that they can't admit to it, but that's a classic rivalry right there. Tech was even about to over take Aggy in WL until they fired Mike Leach.It's a series split just about 50-50.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
So don't post too often in the offseason thread because...well, its Duke and not much happens other than checking on the stadium renovations to see if they're done.

Back in March, our starting QB, Thomas Sirk sustained a serious Achilles tendon injury during spring football. They had surgery and some new rehab procedures in place that it wasn't off the table for Sirk to return for the 2016 season. In fact Sirk was recovering so well that the staff felt confident he would be ready for most of the season. He was passing and doing light to medium workouts (no contact) and would have most likely played second week versus WF.

Until he reinjured the achilles this past Thursday and is now done for the year. The guy taking over the reigns is Daniel Jones and lots of people who follow the program are really high on him. He would have played some anyway this year, but now a lot is riding on his shoulders.

I think bowling is off the table this year. The schedule is a lot more difficult and even I know that in the years where Duke has been good, its because they won a lot of more close games than they lost. Probably not the case this year. I see wins vs NCCU of course and Army. Duke has more talent than Wake but not a lot more, its no gimme. Games vs Northwestern, Virginia, VT, GT and Pitt will be toss ups, and Miami and UNC just have more athletes than Duke does. So even if Duke wins the games it should, thats 3 wins, and there is no telling how any of the other games will go. I don't see Duke beating UNC, L'ville or ND, as for Miami, it depends on where they are in their season and how shitty the refs are.

2016 Duke is 5-7 most likely. But hey, we got Jack Sears so a couple of years from now may be better.

EDIT: Also the stadium is not complete

Cq5BsCRWcAAol6O.jpg

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
So don't post too often in the offseason thread because...well, its Duke and not much happens other than checking on the stadium renovations to see if they're done.

Back in March, our starting QB, Thomas Sirk sustained a serious Achilles tendon injury during spring football. They had surgery and some new rehab procedures in place that it wasn't off the table for Sirk to return for the 2016 season. In fact Sirk was recovering so well that the staff felt confident he would be ready for most of the season. He was passing and doing light to medium workouts (no contact) and would have most likely played second week versus WF.

Until he reinjured the achilles this past Thursday and is now done for the year. The guy taking over the reigns is Daniel Jones and lots of people who follow the program are really high on him. He would have played some anyway this year, but now a lot is riding on his shoulders.

I think bowling is off the table this year. The schedule is a lot more difficult and even I know that in the years where Duke has been good, its because they won a lot of more close games than they lost. Probably not the case this year. I see wins vs NCCU of course and Army. Duke has more talent than Wake but not a lot more, its no gimme. Games vs Northwestern, Virginia, VT, GT and Pitt will be toss ups, and Miami and UNC just have more athletes than Duke does. So even if Duke wins the games it should, thats 3 wins, and there is no telling how any of the other games will go. I don't see Duke beating UNC, L'ville or ND, as for Miami, it depends on where they are in their season and how shitty the refs are.

2016 Duke is 5-7 most likely. But hey, we got Jack Sears so a couple of years from now may be better.

EDIT: Also the stadium is not complete

You could still go bowling, I should know ;^(

andycapps

"Pro-style" offenses will become more popular in the coming years due to many defenses recruiting to stop the spread. In other news, everything is cyclical and water is wet, bears eat fish, etc.

Coaches are human, and like all humans they get intrigued by what’s next, the evolution of technology, of thought, or in this case their sport. And after a decade of college teams embracing the spread and spread-option, coaches are thinking about what they can do with more runners in the backfield and tight ends on the line — commonly known as a “pro set.”

One of the draws of this approach, according to Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly, is that it renders problematic a trend in recruiting specialized defensive players tailored to stopping the spread such as nickelbacks, pass-rushers and those who slide from defensive back to linebacker.

“If you start to utilize more two-tight end sets, that could be problematic for defenses,” he said.

But the pro sets seen on Saturdays will include a proven college ingredient: faster pace.

Vanillalite, I can't help myself.

This is the biggest weekend for the year for GA Tech fans. Dragoncon is this weekend.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Dragon Con is sooo weird now.

It's become more of this random pop culture event.

So many people that a decade or two ago would have made fun of the people going or given those type's of people swirlies are now jonsing to go due to its pop culture status.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Who else here has season tickets for their team? How often do y'all make it to a game?

I don't cause I know I won't make enough games. Just buy individual tix if need be. My bro has gotten season tix for fuck idk 2 decades+ now. So if I want to go I can go with him or else he finds me a ticket.

He lives in the Atl Metro though, and I don't. Which makes a big difference.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I haven't been to an FSU game since 07. Living thousands of miles away will do that.

But hey, I don't live in Florida anymore, so it isn't all bad.

pxleyes

Banned
Who else here has season tickets for their team? How often do y'all make it to a game?

Family has had 3 season tickets for what will now be our 24th season. I doubt we will make more than 2 home games though. Having your son being born a few days into the season will do that. As I told my wife years ago though, the tickets are staying in our family as long as we are alive. In fact we are looking to expand to 5 tickets in a few years as the kids get older.

My family has had season tickets for Rutgers for going on 60+ years.

My Dad moved away to NC, so now I'm the only one going to the games, we have seats in two different areas of the stadium.

I try to make it to at least 3/4 of the home games, and at least 1 road game a year.

andycapps

Dragon Con is sooo weird now.

It's become more of this random pop culture event.

So many people that a decade or two ago would have made fun of the people going or given those type's of people swirlies are now jonsing to go due to its pop culture status.
I'm assuming it's similar to how Comic Con has become that way as well. Blame The Walking Dead and Marvel movies being so big, I guess.

I do. Family all left Gainesville so it's a harder trip now, because I have to find hotels. Fortunately my next door neighbor and his family have tickets, so we're looking at carpooling and all that.

5 star dual threat qb turned WR Torrance Gibson has been suspended all season by Ohio State for violation of school's student code of conduct.

He was expected to see significant playing time at WR

edit: Not just the team, but from the entire school. Wonder what he did.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
5 star dual threat qb turned WR Torrance Gibson has been suspended all season by Ohio State for violation of school's student code of conduct.

He was expected to see significant playing time at WR

edit: Not just the team, but from the entire school. Wonder what he did.

Paying for Cardale Jones' trespasses.

1st year to get season tickets here, wondering if I'll survive the heat.

Do we get a new thread this week or nah?

Also can we talk about the 2007 season for a second? Illinois made a rose bowl, Les Miles won a title, Kansas won a BSC bowl, Mizzou was #1, Appy state beat michigan, and Boston College and South Florida were both ranked number 2 at some point.

edit: Kentucky was in the top 10 too at some point!

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Mark Richt Lost Control of Miami already

Hurricanes coach Mark Richt speaks out after Miami dismisses 2 defensive standouts

Miami threw defensive end Al-Quadin Muhammad and linebacker Jermaine Grace _ players who were expected to be starters and leaders of the defense _ off the team Saturday after declaring both committed NCAA violations. The decisions came at the end of a investigation to determine if players received an extra benefit by having access to luxury rental cars.

Lunar15

Real excited about watching some college football this weekend. Want to go to a bar and chill all day, but turns out I might have some weird work I need to do from home. Hopefully that's not the case!

Wow, those are some surprising time-spans for tickets. I can't imagine holding tickets for 24-60 years. Hell, buck, even 12 is impressive as hell, especially at the money-siphon that is Ohio Stadium.

Wow, those are some surprising time-spans for tickets. I can't imagine holding tickets for 24-60 years. Hell, buck, even 12 is impressive as hell, especially at the money-siphon that is Ohio Stadium.

Full disclosure I only ever bought student tickets. I have connections that get me tickets to the other games.

cashman

Banned
So, are we using this thread or are we making a new one for week 1.

Also:
On the Big 12 teleconference Charlie Strong says he has not decided on a starting QB for the Notre Dame game. #HookEm #Longhorns

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Do we get a new thread this week or nah?

Also can we talk about the 2007 season for a second? Illinois made a rose bowl, Les Miles won a title, Kansas won a BSC bowl, Mizzou was #1, Appy state beat michigan, and Boston College and South Florida were both ranked number 2 at some point.

edit: Kentucky was in the top 10 too at some point!
Yeah, I'll have a new thread up later today. This is only the week 0 thread, after all!

Someone was going to do a Google forms pick em.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
CFB 2016 Week 1: Cal is #1! They have more wins than anyone else!
CFB 2016 Week 1: Late Summer Love
CFB 2016 Week 1: September Madness
CFB 2016 Week 1: Once Again Witness the Only Thing to Make Stephen Fry Religious
CFB 2016 Week 1: LET ME IN THE DAMN STADIUM ALREADY

Student season tickets ($160ish/season). I go to every single game. It also gives me the option to by guest tickets and even guest season tickets. So if any of you are every in Lincoln on gameday and don't have a ticket or wanna save serious cash (and don't mind sitting in the Husker student section) PM me.

When I was younger I used to usher at the games too (as a Boy Scout/adult Scout leader), so for several years I basically had season tickets and I didn't have to pay a single cent.

Per the webs:

If true, can understand why it's not a team decision. Obviously speculation until confirmed, but gotta be smarter than that.

From beat writers:

Source tells me Torrance Gibson was suspended from Ohio State because a former tutor claimed she was harassed. Buckeyes appealed and lost.

Top Bottom