• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Curleh Mustache Tournament Series Vol.5 | UMvC3 Invitational | November 24

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
what happened lol? why is chrisg salty after winning?
For the same reason as always: People say that picking a Morri/Doom is a win button.
Chris G says that you have to practice and work to win and he claims that Zero is 'cheaper' than Morri/Doom.

Who still uses the term butthurt? She never gets out does she? I hear people use that term on a daily basis at my work.
Where do you work Mrs. Harvey?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Go back rewatch it you can clearly hear Yipes take the comments to heart. It's one thing to say Rayray is the best mag or what have you it's another to say that Yipes just has a disrupter assist. Chris needs to go back and watch some of Yipes Magnus play his movement is still some of the most godlike you'll see. His whole team beat ChrisG in Yipes first UMVC3 major it was not like he was some dumb fuck magneto that did not know what he was doing.

As others can point out things indeed did get awkward after that exchange you can bet your ass Yipes was holding back due to him not just repping himself but also broken tier etc so bringing Chris back to reality may not have been the PC look and all that.
Yeah.. I think your reading too much into it.

Yipes joined in on the joke later too. He was clearly just trolling Yipes because he's been practicing Team Brotherhood less. Definitely wasn't taking it to heart, and there was no actual tension either.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Yeah.. I think your reading too much into it.

Yipes joined in on the joke later too. He was clearly just trolling Yipes because he's been practicing Team Brotherhood less. Definitely wasn't taking it to heart, and there was no actual tension either.

Nah there was clear tension. Hell go back and you even have other people pointing it out. Of course they are friends so you can get over such shit but Chris Matrix most def was very close to getting the smack down applied.

Also, anyone notice the tension between Tyson and dieminion at Bums house? Shit was gold hahaha.

gutabo

I found the whole Magneto thing between Matrix and Yipes thing hilarious. It felt to me like long time friends picking each other, with one clearly winning over the other. Of course Yipes was sandbagging but that made it better.

EDIT:
Also, anyone notice the tension between Tyson and dieminion at Bums house? Shit was gold hahaha.
I can't watch bum's stream due to lag but what happened?

rocK`

Banned
People who spend their lives playing videogames usually aren't the brightest folks.

what about people who spend their lives talking about them?

jbhTZxZlQnu88e.png

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act

jbhTZxZlQnu88e.png
Damn.
Sickest burn of all time?

Butthurt? How about Ghurt?
Ghurt: When you think youre better than Chris G but youre not.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
EDIT:
I can't watch bum's stream due to lag but what happened?

Just a lot of back and forth between them both almost all of the time they were on the mic. it was kind of passive aggressive but entertaining. If you can go back watch it you can also enjoy drunk die going in and being loose good stuff. Also, Tyson was going in on fchamp's sexuality which just seemed strange as fuck to me. Why would he even bring up such stuff Fchamp has said what he has to say regarding that so it's not a good look bringing up such a personal subject on a public stream.

Infinite

Just a lot of back and forth between them both almost all of the time they were on the mic. it was kind of passive aggressive but entertaining. If you can go back watch it you can also enjoy drunk die going in and being loose good stuff. Also, Tyson was going in on fchamp's sexuality which just seemed strange as fuck to me. Why would he even bring up such stuff Fchamp has said what he has to say regarding that so it's not a good look brining up such a personal subject on a public stream.

Yeah that was extremely childish of the guy. I for see a high stakes money match between Fchamp and Tayson soon.

That wouldn't make people shut up about Morrigan, though.

What would be particularly delicious about Zero is that while everyone has been saying Zero is the best character in the game since Ultimate came out, no one has really proven it. Zero players are bitter and angsty because they can't fulfill the potential of their character. If ChrisG did it, it would be a big smack in the face.

So, in that spirit, ChrisG would have to not use Morrigan or Doom, since then people would attribute his wins to those characters. Unless it were Plasma Beam.

And the pattern will never end, because the average player just doesn't understand assist utility. I still remember how all of Vanilla was plagued by people saying Haggar is "low tier", and when Viscant won Evo everyone said "nerf Dark Phoenix!", even though Wesker + Double Lariat won him a huge number of his matches.

Wesker/Haggar wasn't more effective in spite of Dark Phoenix it WAS more effective BECAUSE of Dark Phoenix. Viscant could afford to dictate the pace of the match as he pleased simply because everyone was so desperate to get rid of phoenix.

Half the game is already decided at the start screen. Then another one 1/4 is simply waiting to see who gets the first hit and converts best. Then it's pretty much a wrap.

Another thing is the meter system. The fact that you get 1 meter at the start has always been a problem simply because the potential abuse is so great. It's what made Phoenix go from a 5 bar character to a 4 bar character.

With that 1st bar morrigan already has what she needs to do her work effectively. With other characters you need 2. And unless you have another meter building assist on your team the best way you get that extra meter is to hit your opponent. And that's why Morrigan is so powerful: She doesn't have to rush you down to build meter in a game where in order to beat her you need to rush her down to build meter. And in a game where meter building is already nerfed to begin with, this is critical.

The best way to beat morrigan is to kill her at the start of the game. Of course that's as easy as saying "kill Wesker and Haggar before Phoenix gets 5 bars." But it is where she is indisputably the weakest.

The next best way is to stall out AV while preventing her from gaining meter. RR and Flight characters are pretty good at this. Thor gets special attention because Mighty Strike can nullify projectiles, can be done in the air, AND has super armor. He can also afford to take doom missiles better than most characters due to his health, and taking the missiles resets air actions as well. After AV is over go in.

Killing Doom is obvious but also the most impractical. You need 2 meters and xfactor, which is practically impossible to build. Not to mention that IF you are building meter while hitting morrigan then you should just spend the meter to kill her. If you are building meter while getting hit... you probably won't be in any position to THC. Not to mention she can steal your meter as well.

Basically like phoenix you aren't also fighting the character, you're fighting the meter system.

Killing Doom is obvious but also the most impractical. You need 2 meters and xfactor, which is practically impossible to build. Not to mention that IF you are building meter while hitting morrigan then you should just spend the meter to kill her. If you are building meter while getting hit... you probably won't be in any position to THC. Not to mention she can steal your meter as well.

It's character-dependent. If I know my character can't kill Morrigan with one touch reliably, then I'll focus on snapping in Doom.

kirblar

Zero players in Marvel (excepting Marn and a few others) are the same type of players who play all-in combo decks in Legacy in MTG. They don't want to play a game that comes down to an interactive skill game, so they play a deck that just beats people who aren't able to interact with or defend against what they're doing. But when they do play against those decks they tend to get blown up huge. Morridoom is a defensive screen control team that tears Zero a new one.

rocK`

Banned
Zero players in Marvel (excepting Marn and a few others) are the same type of players who play all-in combo decks in Legacy. They don't want to play a game that comes down to an interactive skill game, so they play a deck that just beats people who aren't able to interact with or defend against what they're doing.

I don't what Legacy is...I'm assuming you're talking about magic the gathering?

if so, yeah, but its very rare that you can pull those off, no?

Yeah not a good look for him at all

its just that last one rubs me the wrong way and due to it being the internet your are not sure if its halfhearted, serious or trolling.

ChrisG should pick up Zero just to mess with people.

LOL

Would be funny if he did really well with him

Chris G cause he's so good god I wish he wins all the tournaments

I doubt anywhere could hold the amount of salt that would be generated :p

jbhTZxZlQnu88e.png

GODDAMN!!!

Fersis

Karsticles is re-thinking his whole life right now.

jbhTZxZlQnu88e.png
Illiteracy is a plague I can't seem to escape contact with. I'll help you out by bolding the important part of my post, though:

People who spend their lives playing videogames usually aren't the brightest folks.

The second point of illiteracy, which is more difficult to demonstrate to you without using a lot of words - I hope you don't find that off-putting - is that the phrase "spend your life" refers to something being the main expenditure of one's existence. I am currently enjoying working part-time as a professor at a local college after having finished my MA at University of Chicago, so I am enjoying some free time while working on Ph.D applications. As with my MA program, once my Ph.D program starts I'll be taking a long vacation from gaming.

Karsticles is re-thinking his whole life right now.
Nope. My life is going exactly how I planned it after I decided I didn't want to work in politics anymore.

Karsticles ARE YOU OKAY?
Why wouldn't I be okay? It has been a very, very long time since anyone on the internet upset me. I spend all my time arguing with people in real life. I'm used to conflict, though usually with brighter people.

Chavelo

Goddamm at that burn. That's like getting double peed on SF4. Or getting merry Christmas'd on in UMVC3. Or instant Killed in Guilty Gear.

Haunted

Calling characters cheap after someone won a tournament is such a scrub thing to do. If a certain character combo is supposed to be a win button, pick them yourself and win every tournament.

People are just jelly. Anything that's not banned, goes. That someone would have to explain Sirlin's Play to Win to top FCG players is embarrassing.

jbhTZxZlQnu88e.png
Treating-burns.jpg

JeTmAn81

Bah, I could've told you "usually" would be his out. I'm also fairly sure that Karsticles is several times smarter than most of us.

rocK`

Banned
Illiteracy is a plague I can't seem to escape contact with. I'll help you out by bolding the important part of my post, though:

The second point of illiteracy, which is more difficult to demonstrate to you without using a lot of words - I hope you don't find that off-putting - is that the phrase "spend your life" refers to something being the main expenditure of one's existence. I am currently enjoying working part-time as a professor at a local college after having finished my MA at University of Chicago, so I am enjoying some free time while working on Ph.D applications. As with my MA program, once my Ph.D program starts I'll be taking a long vacation from gaming.

Nope. My life is going exactly how I planned it after I decided I didn't want to work in politics anymore.

Why wouldn't I be okay? It has been a very, very long time since anyone on the internet upset me. I spend all my time arguing with people in real life. I'm used to conflict, though usually with brighter people.

Oh jeeze karst.

It's pretty sad when you start throwing around the fact that you're an academic. It's the internet, lighten up.

But your existence is also, pretty sad.

Top Bottom