• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Curleh Mustache Tournament Series Volume 3 - UMvC3 Invitational

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Betting on stream literally just happened like 10 minutes ago.
Yeah, I thought so too, but no one else said anything so I wasn't sure.

Too lazy to keep uploading pics though, I'll wait for this shit to play out.

These matches are actually pretty good. This shit would've been mad hype if it was on a proper stream :/

EDIT: SEE! A DEMON! People would be wildin' out to that shit.

Phoenix? Oh man Chris G has no confidence what so ever.

Oh okay that was a button check? I see the Wesker/Ryu/Hawkeye team.

Was that 4-0? What the fuck... Best in the U.S? Hell best in the world? Dammit why u no go Final Round Marlin!

Dahbomb

God dayum MarlinPie. Now the wait until the footage is uploaded so I can see the build up. Omniscythe was looking good with his new modified team but RDK clutched it out.

Shadowloo Showdown is going to be hype I can feel it. Marvel has really upped in its international scene.

God dayum MarlinPie. Now the wait until the footage is uploaded so I can see the build up. Omniscythe was looking good with his new modified team but RDK clutched it out.

Shadowloo Showdown is going to be hype I can feel it. Marvel has really upped in its international scene.

kusoru isn't going to be at shadowloo is he?

smurfx

get some go again
marlin won again?

qUqH2.jpg

this man can't be stopped!

svegis

I stopped watching by the third outage or whenever it was, so I have no idea what happened or what didn't. Pity, as I was really looking forward for another Curleh Mustache.
Here's to hoping volume four will have kinder connection at the venue.

Moaradin

It was all streamed.

Basically, for Adult Swim's april fools joke, they aired new toonami footage all night. new recorded dialogue, and even reviewed ME3. They played some of the best episodes of Dragon Ball Z, Big O, Yu Yu Hakusho, Trigun, etc.

It was all streamed.

Basically, for Adult Swim's april fools joke, they aired new toonami footage all night. new recorded dialogue, and even reviewed ME3. They played some of the best episodes of Dragon Ball Z, Big O, Yu Yu Hakusho, Trigun, etc.

Yup, I was watching this too. Fuck Curleh Mustache.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Holy shit, did the stream actually shut off permanently in the middle of the tourny? Shit, glad I watched toonami.

Yeah, I don't blame people for the exodus in this thread. And with Toonami coming back on the same day? Easy decision.

Sp00ky said he'd upload the videos but... It's just not the same. Most of the rest was streamed via Matrix' phone though.

So what happened last night ?

I went to bed because it was beyond late for me and the exhibition was at 9-6 MD.

Now these ow3nd vods refuse to load for me.

So what happened last night ?

I went to bed because it was beyond late for me and the exhibition was at 9-6 MD.

Now these ow3nd vods refuse to load for me.

MD won that, salt flowed, then the internet at nextlevel had two hard crashes and seemed like it would be a problem, so spooky didn't stream it. I'm guessing the vod won't be on own3d, but uploaded to youtube instead.

Dahbomb

Ugh. Puts me off on watching any other event from this group again.
They have been splitting pots since forever. Especially JWong plus MarlinPie back in the Vanilla days and they won like every Break tournament.

Although the games that come from pot splitting lead to some interesting shit. Remember that ChrisG's Morrigan + Doom team came from trolling in grand finals until he realized that most people had no answer to it.

But yeah... bad pot splitters bad.

I am shocked there was no Frank LVL5 or new glitch. I mean MarlinPie probably did his new guard break tech but we didn't get to see it. A shame we missed out on the bingo.

I'm not even upset about the pot splitting because MarlinPie won again. Kyo has been lights out lately. The only person in the US that is playing better than him is probably Justin. Glad he is going to CEO. Hopefully he keeps things going

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
I don't care about who walks away with the money. The money, to me, is just an incentive to win. As long as the matches are still Sirlin approved, I don't care about pot shenanigans.

I hope Spooky stops uploading matches individually to youtube btw. Floods my subscription page and it's so much easier to just let a single, unedited video run, than having to keep hitting next/making sure I'm progressing through the videos chronologically.

jbug617

Banned
I don't see why you guys are saying pot splitting. Chris G and Marlinpie both played their real teams in Grand Finals.

smurfx

get some go again
i don't care if they split the pot as long as they play well and use their actual teams. chris g and josh wong started out playing some random ass team and they were probably going to go with it until they received too much shit for it and went with one of their regular teams. these guys have to realize that if they keep up sandbagging the finals at tournaments with crap teams people will start tuning away and that will only hurt them in the future and their local scene.

I don't see why you guys are saying pot splitting. Chris G and Marlinpie both played their real teams in Grand Finals.
they admitted to pot splitting.

Dahbomb

http://www.youtube.com/user/teamspooky/videos?view=0

Matches uploaded here. The MarlinPie vs RDK match was super hype.

The only person in the US that is playing better than him is probably Justin. Glad he is going to CEO.
Right now I would argue MarlinPie is better than JWong and would win a longer set. Marlin has a better team too with better exploration of the game's mechanics. JWong has been riding the game on fundamentals for too long and he has missed out on some valuable training room practice. Of course Justin "Marvelous" Wong and I would never think of betting against him even when he has his Iron Fist team up... but it's an uphill battle for him especially against hardcore zoning teams like Magneto/Doom and Task/Arthur which eliminated him at Final Round

People who say xxx didn't play their best because of pot splitting haven't ever split a pot before. It's pretty obvious. Pot splitting has been around ever since tournaments started. All pot splitting does is relieve the stress, which sometimes make certain players play better. Like for example a Chris G who you can easily tell gets too emotional and sometimes lose because of it.

You guys seem to think that players think "well since we are splitting I'm going to do random shit because I don't care if I win or lose"

You guys are forgetting that these are grown ass men playing. Last time I check we have a shit ton and maybe a little bit too much pride to go out like that. If these guys didn't enjoy competition and were competitive they wouldn't be playing fighting games.

Justin and Sanford pot split for years, and Sanford didn't beat Justin until like 2006/2007. If they were just doing random shit and not giving a fuck Sanford would have won long before that.

Corimon

Neo Member
I don't see anything wrong with pot splitting itself, but if people don't put on a good show in the end because of it, then it's just a lackluster ending to what could have been a very hype grand finals. I feel like if you get that far, regardless of what you're going to do afterwards with the money, you should play your best for the people who put on the tournament and everyone that's watching. It's such disrespect otherwise.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Just finished watching them in a janky order. RDK dropped the soap HARD. Moderately entertaining matches though.

And yeah, pot splitting made Chris G give it all away in the end. he clearly stopped trying.

Some of the numbered videos are dupes of ones with titles too, btw.

EDIT: own3d archives are being difficult and not loading for me anymore. If anyone wants to be a bro and can link me to the archive in which the NY vs. MD 5v5 Round Robin begins, I will forever be in your debt. I need it to put in the OT.

It's one of these I think:
http://www.own3d.tv/teamspooky#/watch/551027
http://www.own3d.tv/teamspooky#/watch/551099
http://www.own3d.tv/teamspooky#/watch/551150

I assume the first but I gotta be sure. Why can't own3d have a proper, logical system for viewing archives than throwing them all on the stream page :|

Top Bottom