• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Curleh Mustache Tournament Series Vol.4 - West Coast Edition | UMvC3 Invitational

Venfayth

There are some things that can beat smartness and foresight? Awkwardness and stupidity can. The best swordsman in the world doesn't need to fear the second best swordsman in the world; no, the person for him to be afraid of is some ignorant antagonist who has never had a sword in his hand before; he doesn't do the thing he ought to do, and so the expert isn't prepared for him; he does the thing he ought not to do; and often it catches the expert out and ends him on the spot.
-Mark Twain

That's what I have to say about FChamp and his fiasco w/ that guy :p

Chavelo

There are some things that can beat smartness and foresight? Awkwardness and stupidity can. The best swordsman in the world doesn't need to fear the second best swordsman in the world; no, the person for him to be afraid of is some ignorant antagonist who has never had a sword in his hand before; he doesn't do the thing he ought to do, and so the expert isn't prepared for him; he does the thing he ought not to do; and often it catches the expert out and ends him on the spot.
-Mark Twain

Dios X with that UMVC3 day 1 tech. :3

seriously? smfh

-Mark Twain

Wait, did Dios X just pick up marvel the other day or did I miss something?

;)

Venfayth

I don't think Dios X played badly, he just absolutely disrespected FChamp at every turn, and FChamp didn't really anticipate someone in
Winners Finals\Grand Finals
to be playing that way.

Wait, did Dios X just pick up marvel the other day or did I miss something?

;)

I just brought that quote out because it's pretty much exactly what FChamp was saying: This guy is doing things he shouldn't be doing in that situation because the mind game should have been on another level. But it wasn't, or at least FChamp didn't seem to think so.

If having lowlife means a character isn't a scumbag then even with dark mode Jean is nowhere near scumbag status. Requires playing the game in a completely different way as well.

Lol. How is it even the same though? When she turns the game into a SHUMP on entry?

I don't think Dios X played badly, he just absolutely disrespected FChamp at every turn, and FChamp didn't really anticipate someone in
to be playing that way.

I just brought that quote out because it's pretty much exactly what FChamp was saying: This guy is doing things he shouldn't be doing in that situation because the mind game should have been on another level. But it wasn't, or at least FChamp didn't seem to think so.

That's when we get into layers man. You think I am going to do it, but I won't, but then I think you think that I won't, so I do, then I double back think that and go back to not doing what I am supposed to do, then say fuck it, do it anyways!

He should had not gone to Storm though I think.

Grecco

Kinda sad i missed this. Dios X running a train and going to GF? Who saw that coming?

Given Yipes's reaction to Swiss Cheese being mentioned as tool to actually beat Helm Breaker, and then his off handed comment that we will be seeing Vigil's swords being addressed I have to imagine one of them is the Swiss Cheese.

He was very cagey and really didn't want to respond to who ever brought it up (was it James? I think it was) but that is just a guess so we will see.

Regarless I'm not expecting any really awesome Wolverine tech, I would like to be surprised but I just don't see it. That said, really turning on the juice and making him move is great and peope are doing it even better like Justin chasing down Harddrive or Diox going full screen for an OTG with him.

I thought the same thing too.... but who knows if Justin will even play Wolvie?

You don't need godlike execution with Zero. Phoenix takes way more skill to play than Zero. You have to out play your opponent to even guarantee Dark Phoenix and even then it's not free at all.

LMAO @ calling Justin's Wolverine week 1.

Have to call bullshit on this. Switching buttons for buster shot alone is something that seperates good players from frauds and then theres lightning loops which are not easy to do. Look at how many people drop them. On the other hand how many people have good Pheonixes. (Just fchamp)

DiosX was playing to win. He doesn't need to play "right." Sure it can be frustrating if your opponent isn't playing how you expect them to play, but he and Champ played 17 games yesterday. That should be plenty of time for Champ to adapt.

Thing is lightning loops has become one of the "easier" fall backs for Zero players since it was debuted straight from the Rising sun, because for Zero to touch-of-death you requires so much more work than say a Wolvie.

Dahbomb

Have to call bullshit on this. Switching buttons for buster shot alone is something that seperates good players from frauds and then theres lightning loops which are not easy to do. Look at how many people drop them. On the other hand how many people have good Pheonixes. (Just fchamp)
Except switching buttons isn't hard at all and Lightning Loops isn't required to play the character. Zero would be top tier free without the LL, people overrate the importance of it. Way more people play Zero than Phoenix these days.

And only 1 person has a good Phoenix because it's difficult to play and win with Phoenix. You have to out play your opponent constantly to have a chance at Dark Phoenix (yes it's still a chance even at the end when she has 5 bars). FChamps wins with Phoenix teams are mostly on the shoulders of Magneto and Doom + Missiles. How many people have dropped Phoenix? Exactly because most of them know it's not worth it to run her through a tournament unless your regular Phoenix is on point and playing regular Phoenix requires immense skill. A ton of FChamps wins also come from sublime Jean play.

Thing is lightning loops has become one of the "easier" fall backs for Zero players since it was debuted straight from the Rising sun, because for Zero to touch-of-death you requires so much more work than say a Wolvie.
So he has a difficult combo... so what? Wolverine still has to work much harder to survive in the neutral game that is crowded with Hidden Missiles, sword normals, Soul Fists, Busters and Drones. Zero just hangs in the air mashing H and releasing buttons to care, most characters can't even legitimately rush him down. You can both keep out and rushdown Wolverine especially with neutral controlling assists.

Zero has easy mode TODs off his BnB with a ton of assists. It's not Wolverine easy mode but people seriously overstate the execution requirement to play Zero in this game. A character of this caliber with the best abare in the game, some of the best frame data + hit box on normals, the best projectile in the game, with some of the best mix ups in the game and is one of the safest characters in the game should not be able to dish out that much damage.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
to be playing that way.

Shouldn't he have expected it once he lost to him though? Champ lost in Winner's Finals and is lucky Justin was playing his scrub team to even make it back to GF. Then he was taken to the brink, pulled some stalling and then DiosX mindfucked himself (wtf was with that...).

I don't buy this at all. Champ lost to DiosX for damn near twice. DiosX played the same way, all day so I don't think he was disrespecting anyone.

Champ is STILL bitching about DiosX in the FGTV chat right now.

Broadcaster Fgtvlive: NO ONE PLAYS LIKE THAT
» IN THE GRAND FINALS
Broadcaster Fgtvlive: YOU CANT BE AN IDIOT
Broadcaster Fgtvlive: YOU GIVE PEOPLE A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF "TOP PLAYER" respect
Broadcaster Fgtvlive: but damn this guy just gave me free tac's
Broadcaster Fgtvlive: then
Broadcaster Fgtvlive: fuckin a
» man
Broadcaster Fgtvlive: thats why my reset didnt work

OJU26.png
I can't do my reset
OJU26.png

lordcyno

Just think, if the finals had been 3/5, Dios X would have won.

Sad we didn't get to see the norcal vs socal exhibition afterwards.

Did we get any infinites yesterday?

Belenos

Banned
Only if they hopefully stream that pool.

If FChamp goes to losers in pools... Wow.

Not happening. The only other possible threat in that pool is X-Ray.

Champ might be an asshole but he's an amazing player. He won't lose to Dios X again. Would love if that happened though, the salt would be glorious.

Dahbomb

So much salt is being built up over fchamp I am expecting someone to go super saiyan if they beat fchamp at evo.

Between this and the Unknown pop off fchamp is feeling himself too much these days.

Dahbomb

The salt here is nothing compared to the srk forums although no matter how you dice it calling someone out on their appearance on stream was just low.

so people are saying pelican x and all that shit o stream and i get banned for a generic message. must have been some mod that i verbally schooled last night and i cant remember their name.

oh well!

Dahbomb

Wait, people are upset that Dios X is using the buktooth loop? Why?
Its not optimized and that combo is like week 1 doom combo. I actually find that combo to be harder than the current bnb. Its a perfectly legit combo and it felt weird when clockwork and co were mocking Viscant for using it.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Its not optimized and that combo is like week 1 doom combo. I actually find that combo to be harder than the current bnb. Its a perfectly legit combo and it felt weird when clockwork and co were mocking Viscant for using it.

I don't get why Viscant was using it at all since everyone knows Viscant isn't a big execution guy. Hell I can do Doom's new bnb, I couldn't do the Buktooth loop.

I still find it weird to see Dios X using Wolverine at all.

But good shit to him. Especially since I thought he was gonna lose to Noah first round.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I thought it was hilarious just to play up on the whole Viscant's a fraud thing.

JeTmAn81

Why the fuck is Zero so goddamned safe? It's so disgusting knowing I literally have to wait for him to be attacking in order to counter knowing full and well that anything wrong is a dead character. And then that damn war of attrition where he's blasting everything with Hadangeki, Buster & Lightning and you can only pray you have some legit anti zoning...

C'mon mang, you've got Ace Hardware plus Strider. You should be able to do something with all those anti-air tools. Jam Session, Twister/Tempest, Acid Rain, Crystal/Million Carats, Air Play, Vajra aren't getting it done? Lately I've just been constantly doing j.H into Air Play for defensive posturing and it works amazingly well. Great for avoiding/getting air throws and can convert into a combo after Air Play with airdash into attack into ground series.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
"Pelican X" stuff is not cool. Bashing someone's personal appearance has no place in discussions like these, IMO.
It's called talking shit for a reason.

It's not a bullet point for argument, it's just to keep his ego at peace. This is par for course for Marvel IMO. The dramatic and, for lack of better words, emotional nature of the game is what leads to this stuff in players. Not that I condone it, but it makes for some good entertainment and more FGC drama.

It's just funny watching FChamp on the brink of tears and then just letting all his emotions flow out minutes later.

Frantic

OJU26.png
I can't do my reset
OJU26.png
Honestly, I would take Champ's TAC over his reset if I ever played him. Reason being, if I get hit by the TAC, he's giving me more meter than he would be giving me through a reset. My team has low health, so both end up resulting in meterless kills anyway. I have Strider on my team, so I don't care much if someone gets Dark Phoenix against me, as long as I have meter for Orbs. That's generally how I play the Phoenix matchup in Ultimate. If I get hit first, my goal is to build meter like a Phoenix team would, but if I get the first hit, I start snapping.

JeTmAn81

Honestly, I would take Champ's TAC over his reset if I ever played him. Reason being, if I get hit by the TAC, he's giving me more meter than he would be giving me through a reset. My team has low health, so both end up resulting in meterless kills anyway. I have Strider on my team, so I don't care much if someone gets Dark Phoenix against me, as long as I have meter for Orbs. That's generally how I play the Phoenix matchup in Ultimate. If I get hit first, my goal is to build meter like a Phoenix team would, but if I get the first hit, I start snapping.

Per AzureJericho's earlier posts, any suggestions for Dante/Strider vs. Zero?

edit: I realized this stuff belongs in the other thread too, I'll take it over there.

Thanks for the link.

I don't get why Viscant was using it at all since everyone knows Viscant isn't a big execution guy. Hell I can do Doom's new bnb, I couldn't do the Buktooth loop.

I still find it weird to see Dios X using Wolverine at all.

But good shit to him. Especially since I thought he was gonna lose to Noah first round.
I find Buktooth loops easier than the new stuff. :p

Top Bottom