• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT13| This title has been fixed

Salazar

When success comes down to which billionaire pumps money into your club, I'm not gonna like it.

Well, regulatory measures to alleviate that circumstance are about to be enforced.

Having a billionaire backer will still be awesome, but the spectacle of clubs being irresponsibly bicycle-pumped over a short period into gigantic, all-devouring financial entities is going to be pretty much eliminated.

I'm not particularly fond of the way the NFL has exploitatively colonised the American higher education system, and nobody seems to be even trying to regulate that shit.

Milchjon

We now have a guy who doesn't watch football anymore but still hates Bayern anyway.

Its a sign lads.

Haha, a sign of what?

Well, regulatory measures to alleviate that circumstance are about to be enforced.

Having a billionaire backer will still be awesome, but the spectacle of clubs being irresponsibly bicycle-pumped over a short period into gigantic, all-devouring financial entities is going to be pretty much eliminated.

I'm not particularly fond of the way the NFL has exploitatively colonised the American higher education system, and nobody seems to be even trying to regulate that shit.

Ah, cool. Do you have a link so I can read up on those regulations?

Also, I completely agree when it comes to college football.

Arnie

itv.com's text feed has just used the word "lulz". Wow.

I want to headbutt the culprit.

Dead leg's turned into a blessing. Can barely extend my knee, let alone kick a ball, so my three o clock game is a writeoff. Then I've just found out Liverpool kick off at 3 (thought, and was told, it was a half 4 kickoff), so I'll watch that immobilised.

Bumhead

Banned
Well, all that may be true, which only makes it sound like the system is beyond repair. When success comes down to which billionaire pumps money into your club, I'm not gonna like it.

After leaving soccer behind as a teen, and falling in love with American Football in my early twenties, I think for all its flaws I just vastly prefer the NFL system.

You probably won't have something like this happening in soccer

whereas in the NFL this circle of parity happened at least in the past 2 years.

Even after I stopped following soccer, I continued hating Bayern, which was mainly fueled by the fact that they absolutely dominate. I mean, they won more than half of the German championships in the 25 years I've spent alive. That's insane, and IMO it shouldn't be happening. And yet, in Spain it's even worse...

But I guess I wouldn't start watching soccer anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter whether I like the status quo. You guys go ahead and enjoy your game.

You can't ever have complete parity in football because there are vastly more teams playing football than there are in the NFL. Take the English football league system. There are 92 teams in the Football League and Premier League. You can't enforce parity across all those teams. It's impossible, and I don't know why you would.

Teams compete at different levels and govern success in different ways. I support a Championship team, one that's a relatively big and historic club, but one which will never in my life time attain the same success as a Manchester United, Liverpool, Bayern Munich etc etc. That's not the success every team is aiming for or attempts to be judged on.

Bayern Munich's success has been built up over generations. They are the biggest club in Germany, one of the biggest clubs in the world. That's not a happy accident and it's not down to some billionaire just turning up and pumping them full of cash. They're just bigger than the rest of the clubs in Germany, and most of the clubs in Europe. That's just the way it is.

Different systems work for different sports. The NFL model doesn't and cannot ever work for football unless a section of teams split off to form their own division - i.e this silly European Super League which gets brought up every year or two - and at that point you can start governing a far, far smaller section of clubs by the same rule set like the NFL does. But football is way, way too diverse a sport for that to happen in its current guise.

Salazar

Ah, cool. Do you have a link so I can read up on those regulations?

http://swissramble.blogspot.com.au/2012/09/uefas-ffp-regulations-play-to-win.html

Basically a mildly threatening encouragement to clubs to break even/manage non-development-focused spending as a relatively sane proportion of income.

Regulatory deterrent to a) getting into deep water with debt (or not so much debt as with losses), and b) pouring money (personal wealth, for example) into a club with a fire-hose.

Like Bumhead says, the big clubs aren't going to suffer that much under it - even if they squeal a bit. Spending as a proportion of typically gigantic income is still gigantic. The middle size clubs will benefit a fair amount because the big clubs aren't going to motor away from them even further than they already have. Little clubs that want to become big clubs via the route of wealthy purchase and investment will have to take things remarkably slowly. Not buy a squad in one go.

Slizz

That was fuckin dirty from Luiz. Guy had his head down to pass and did not see Luiz at all.... Probably concuss. Got up wobbly.

Milchjon

You can't ever have complete parity in football because there are vastly more teams playing football than there are in the NFL. Take the English football league system. There are 92 teams in the Football League and Premier League. You can't enforce parity across all those teams. It's impossible, and I don't know why you would.

Teams compete at different levels and govern success in different ways. I support a Championship team, one that's a relatively big and historic club, but one which will never in my life time attain the same success as a Manchester United, Liverpool, Bayern Munich etc etc. That's not the success every team is aiming for or attempts to be judged on.

Bayern Munich's success has been built up over generations. They are the biggest club in Germany, one of the biggest clubs in the world. That's not a happy accident and it's not down to some billionaire just turning up and pumping them full of cash. They're just bigger than the rest of the clubs in Germany, and most of the clubs in Europe. That's just the way it is.

Different systems work for different sports. The NFL model doesn't and cannot ever work for football unless a section of teams split off to form their own division - i.e this silly European Super League which gets brought up every year or two - and at that point you can start governing a far, far smaller section of clubs by the same rule set like the NFL does. But football is way, way too diverse a sport for that to happen in its current guise.

I'm aware of all these differences, and like you said, it's probably difficult to impossible to change that completely.

I still hate it.

http://swissramble.blogspot.com.au/2012/09/uefas-ffp-regulations-play-to-win.html

Basically a mildly threatening encouragement to clubs to break even/manage non-development-focused spending as a relatively sane proportion of income.

Regulatory deterrent to a) getting into deep water with debt (or not so much debt as with losses), and b) pouring money (personal wealth, for example) into a club with a fire-hose.

Like Bumhead says, the big clubs aren't going to suffer that much under it - even if they squeal a bit. Spending as a proportion of typically gigantic income is still gigantic. The middle size clubs will benefit a fair amount because the big clubs aren't going to motor away from them even further than they already have. Little clubs that want to become big clubs via the route of wealthy purchase and investment will have to take things remarkably slowly. Not buy a squad in one go.

Thanks!

Yen

After what Hitcher said about not wearing jerseys on matchdays, today I'm wearing the 2003 CL shirt. It's my lucky shirt but I haven't worn it in about 5 years, because I'm 6'7" and it's essentially a child's shirt but whatever, it just about fits.

Arnie

Is it too much of an AVB suggestion to ask for the FFP cap to be raised or removed for lower league clubs? So that they aren't locked into permanently meagre investment.

After what Hitcher said about not wearing jerseys on matchdays, today I'm wearing the 2003 CL shirt. It's my lucky shirt but I haven't worn it in about 5 years, because I'm 6'7" and it's essentially a child's shirt but whatever, it just about fits.

I've got a long sleeved 2003 away shirt that extends halfway down my forearms, and I'm only 5'7".

Randdalf

Is it too much of an AVB suggestion to ask for the FFP cap to be raised or removed for lower league clubs? So that they aren't locked into permanently meagre investment.

No, FFP needs to be applied to lower league clubs as well, the problem is still just as bad there it's just that it happens with far less amounts of money than in the Prem.

Salazar

Not such an AVB suggestion. Like Randdalf says, though, it acutely needs to be there in some form.

I would instinctively have imagined that folks who buy football clubs want, as a group, to proceed with club development/player acquisition the City/PSG way. Splurge.

But a bunch of them seem to be awfully tight fuckers. Incompetent and squalid in a number of ways, to boot, but - critically - conspicuously fucking tight. Meagre investment by preference.

Still, when it comes to trades in the Bundesliga, it seems like all roads lead to Munich.
Dvon3Cu.jpg

thtf25v.jpg

Totally wrong, changed a lot in the last few years.

Arnie

Here's the bastard. Look well chubby in this photo, think the snacks caught up with me. Belies my typically hench frame. (taken a while ago)

Ji8e97Dl.jpg

Top Bottom