• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Germany sales update: PS4 2.8 million, Wii U 690k, XB1 600k

gtj1092

I wonder now that with hard evidence some will stop claiming that X1 could be doing better than we think outside of US/UK.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I got reason right here.

just wait until they release a beer brewery simulator exclusive for PS4.

Since... forever.
Germany loves Nintendo.

for german parents everything you own is either a nintendo or a playstation.

guggnichso

Banned
Just fyi, the Xbone was actually cheaper to buy at some big retailers this christmas than the Wii U. Especially combined with those Gamerscore promotions.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
And PS4 does not even have a port of Moorhuhn.

spekkeh

Banned
I'm VERY amazed that Wii U outsells Xbox One in Germany, even if it's not by much.

Well it's LTD, and Wii U has been out for a year longer, MoM, they're probably tied or with a small lead.

HOWEVER

Keep in mind that a large part of Europe was tier 2 country, so for the first full year MediaMarkt Germany was supplying a number of other countries with Xbox Ones, these are likely included in the sales data. That means that XB1 market share is probably not just a bit but actually a lot lower than Wii U.

Purely anecdotally, this seems to fit my experience here in the Netherlands as well, where I know a few people with a Wii U but next to no one with an XB1. PS4 is the de facto game console for everyone.

edit: beaten by slow typing.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
hard to apply logic otherwise! unless I'm missing some other reason why UK can't be below 2.8m

If PS4 is at < 2.8m in UK, the gap with XB1 is under 100k, and this mean that in the second half of 2015 XB1 has outsold PS4 by a good margin, since the gap was 400-500k in June 2015.

Dat 4:1 ratio. Safe to assume that rest of mainland Europe shares the same split?

In Italy was >70% marketshare back in March 2015.

Raist

Banned
I actually don't know any UK numbers, I was looking for a link or something

hard to apply logic otherwise! unless I'm missing some other reason why UK can't be below 2.8m

The PS4 hit 2M in April, when it was around 1.6M in Germany. There's no way that changed now (ie Germany > UK).
Plus we know the PS4+XB1 total is 5.5M, so if UK<Germany that means PS4=XB1 in the UK. Again not possible.

Zhao_Yun

This would've blown my mind during the PS2 days, but it doesn't sound so crazy anymore.

Yeah, although console-gaming is growing in Germany, the main reason for this is the shrinking market in Japan. I know that it shouldn't surprise me but it still looks strange to see those numbers next to each other.

If PS4 is at < 2.8m in UK, the gap with XB1 is under 100k, and this mean that in the second half of 2015 XB1 has outsold PS4 by a good margin, since the gap was 400-500k in June 2015.

In Italy was >70% marketshare back in March 2015.

The PS4 hit 2M in April, when it was around 1.6M in Germany. There's no way that changed now (ie Germany > UK).
Plus we know the PS4+XB1 total is 5.5M, so if UK<Germany that means PS4=XB1 in the UK. Again not possible.

Thanks' I'll take your word for it!

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
It's doing so well because a lot of PC gamers are converting.
Any sources on that? That's not my impression at all. It's just that the console market in Japan is dying and not that Germany is going crazy.

evilr

Banned
These statistics show a more true picture of the actual sales issue with Xbox One. All we ever hear is NPD stuff, there is a reason for that.

Xbox is pretty much dead everywhere except UK and US. That is a huge issue for Microsoft.

So when I see Greenberg and Major Nelson tweeting what they do, it is almost as though they haven't learned a goddamn thing from their mistakes this generation. That's an even greater issue.

Alo0oy

Banned
Dat 4:1 ratio. Safe to assume that rest of mainland Europe shares the same split?

It depends, it's even worse in Italy or Spain, where even the Vita is doing better, but it's slightly better in France (not by much though).

Andrew House already said that Germany is PS4's largest market in Europe.

Although maybe he's talking about software.

Pennywise

Any sources on that? That's not my impression at all. It's just that the console market in Japan is dying and not that Germany is going crazy.

Please don't.
The last time we had the "source" on this matter it became the typical PC vs consoles circlejerk.

Bioshocker

I suspect it to be very similiar in Scandinavia. PS4 is the dominating platform, Xbox One gets good shelf space and Wii U is barely visible but has its loyal fans nevertheless.

Zhao_Yun

I think he is refering to this article: http://www.afr.com/technology/gadge...s-ps4-stays-ahead-of-the-pack-20151206-glgyc3

Germany has become Sony's largest console market for the first time, as gamers switch from PCs to PlayStations.

Was also debated on GAF: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1152173

Raist

Banned
Andrew House already said that Germany is PS4's largest market in Europe.

Although maybe he's talking about software.

There was no direct quote in that article, but here's what was said:

In Europe, meanwhile, Germany has become Sony's largest console market for the first time, as gamers switch from PCs to PlayStations.

That doesn't mean that the PS4 LTD in Germany is the largest in Europe at all.

NHale

So PS4 sold 71% in 2 years what PS3 took 7 years to sell. I guess console market is dead.

I never knew ratio is slanted towards PS4 that much.

Well it's actually worse in other European countries. I'm guessing in Spain/Portugal it's probably closer to 10:1, considering how PS3/Xbox 360 ratio was already very slanted towards PS3 even when Xbox 360 HW sales spiked because of piracy.

Alo0oy

Banned

There was a thread about it a while ago, basically, PC = 50% of consoles revenue, and since PS4's hardware marketshare is close to 70%, it's safe to assume that it's the same for software, it's even higher if you include PS3.

And Japan isn't "dying", it's just no longer a juggernaut, the PS4 sold 1.35 million there this year, that's probably more than the XB1 did in its second largest market (the UK).

I think he is talking about MOM sales.

I don't think he specified, but that's possibly what he meant.

Elandyll

Banned
It looks like in spite of MS 's efforts, sales are actually slowing down rotw, when at this point in a cycle they should be going up?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Xbone under WiiU is brutal.

Although anecdotally, I know no one with an Xbone here and a couple of Wii U owners from here.

Same here in Sweden. I know a ton of people with a PS4, a few with a Wii U, and nobody at all with an XBO (that I'm aware of at least).

Top Bottom