• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Germany sales update: PS4 2.8 million, Wii U 690k, XB1 600k

oti

Banned
It looks like in spite of MS 's efforts, sales are actually slowing down rotw, when at this point in a cycle they should be going up?

Only silver lining I can see is PS4 owners buying a second console because it's cheap enough. (Make it 200€ maybe.) Other than that, no dice. Halo didn't change anything. PS4 is THE console to have.

Rahvar

I checked the numbers at the Swedish retailer I work at and the numbers are 3:1 here. That's with the XO being significally cheaper through all of 2015, even with bundles.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
There was a thread about it a while ago, basically, PC = 50% of consoles revenue, and since PS4's hardware marketshare is close to 70%, it's safe to assume that it's the same for software, it's even higher if you include PS3.

And Japan isn't "dying", it's just no longer a juggernaut, the PS4 sold 1.35 million there this year, that's probably more than the XB1 did in its second largest market (the UK).
I was more talking about the switching part, I never doubted revenue was bigger for console.

Also, "dying" might be hyperbole, but "on sharp decline" wouldn't be.

It looks like in spite of MS 's efforts, sales are actually slowing down rotw, when at this point in a cycle they should be going up?
The biggest effort is the price, outside of that they haven't done that much to appeal to the European market.

evilr

Banned
Microsoft are screwed in the console space. I think this is it for Xbox.

Xbox One sales are declining in Europe (or close to flat lining) when it should be increasing. It's only going to get more brutal for the console at this point.

But 'what about another Xbox' I hear you say? The next generation is all about VR capabilities (although as you know I believe it won't kick off). It will, however, dominate news channels and generate critical hype. Microsoft have quite literally ZERO VR capabilities. They are at least 5 years behind Sony in that regard. They simply won't be able to compete in its current position.

So, Xbox One sales are declining, or at least the gap is continually rising, and they are in a poor position to compete against the inevitable PlayStation 5. Xbox is done, and it'll become some sort of PC service.

I'd like to make a thread about this discussion...

Haunted

Mirrors my own personal observations. PS4 dominates the console space, with WiiU and XB1 fighting over the crumbs. PC is strong as ever, 360 might still be more popular than the XB1, 3DS dominates the handheld space. Don't see this changing anytime soon. Germany (and from my understanding, the rest of Europe sans UK as well) is lost to Microsoft, they'll have to double down on the US to make up for the console failing in the rest of the world.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Xbox One sales are declining in Europe when it should be increasing. It's only going to get more brutal for the console at this point.

?

XB1 is increased by 21% this year in Germany.

For a comparation, in USA are increased by 13%.

I can understand those sales sucks, but what decline?

Woah, the PS4 might catch up PS3's total LTD this year.

PS3 is well ahead of that number now, 3.9 million is a very old number.

But it's still true that "PS4 sold ~70% in 2 years what PS3 took ~6.5-7 years to sell".

By that I mean all the 180s on policies, BC, OS updates, GwG including bc games, price dumps and bundles...

I have no love being lost for MS, but even I can admit they are trying (even if it sometimes leads to desperate misguided stuff like tje TR debacle).

Tbh those are not sale driving efforts. No one's looking to get a weaker console for the same price of a PS4 where all their friends are. The only thing that would set the Xbox apart are 1. undercut the ps4 by 100 euro 2. the games and there's not enough of those.

Elandyll

Banned
what efforts?
By that I mean all the 180s on policies, BC, OS updates, GwG including bc games, price dumps and bundles...

I have no love being lost for MS, but even I can admit they are trying (even if it sometimes leads to desperate misguided stuff like tje TR debacle).

SPCTRE

Meanwhile at Xbox Germany headquarters... full meeting
hqdefault.jpg
I know the show but I still don't get it

Xater

Only silver lining I can see is PS4 owners buying a second console because it's cheap enough. (Make it 200€ maybe.) Other than that, no dice. Halo didn't change anything. PS4 is THE console to have.

I think in Germany a second console is more likely coming from Nintendo than from MS.

Microsoft are screwed in the console space. I think this is it for Xbox.

Xbox One sales are declining in Europe (or close to flat lining) when it should be increasing. It's only going to get more brutal for the console at this point.

But 'what about another Xbox' I hear you say? The next generation is all about VR capabilities (although as you know I believe it won't kick off). It will, however, dominate news channels and generate critical hype. Microsoft have quite literally ZERO VR capabilities. They are at least 5 years behind Sony in that regard. They simply won't be able to compete in its current position.

So, Xbox One sales are declining, or at least the gap is continually rising, and they are in a poor position to compete against the inevitable PlayStation 5. Xbox is done, and it'll become some sort of PC service.

I'd like to make a thread about this discussion...

Are you an expert and just watched MS shoot themselves in the foot?

Crazy good numbers for PS4.

Absolutely grim numbers for XB1.
Crazy how the PS4 sold it's rivals LTD in just Nov+Dec 2015.

EA must be laughing all the way to the bank with that FIFA deal, whilst it gives MS nothing.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
At this point i think UK is a bigger market than Germany only because X1.

PS4 in Germany, all considering, is very close, and Wii U is doing better in Germany than UK.

No, but the transition of how Xbox sales are recorded in Microsoft's quarterly reports are rather telling of its future.

It'll become a service.

On the contrary, the fact they misread the market, the PS4 doing so well will convince them to do another Xbox, one that's a beast hardware wise. Now if the PS4 didn't do so well, then the Xbox console future might be uncertain.

Xater

Crazy good numbers for PS4.

Absolutely grim numbers for XB1.
Crazy how the PS4 sold it's rivals LTD in just Nov+Dec 2015.

EA must be laughing all the way to the bank with that FIFA deal, whilst it gives MS nothing.

For sure. They are racking in the sales und getting basically free money from MS.

At this point i think UK is a bigger market than Germany only because X1.

PS4 in Germany, all considering, is very close, and Wii U is doing better in Germany than UK.

Do we actually know that for sure? I don't think we have UK figures for the Wii U, like at all.

Alo0oy

Banned
On the contrary, the fact they misread the market, the PS4 doing so well will convince them to do another Xbox, one that's a beast hardware wise. Now if the PS4 didn't do so well, then the Xbox console future might be uncertain.

They did everything right with the 360, and Europe and Japan still chose the PS3.

I think MS should just focus on regaining their lost marketshare in the US, which has a higher chance of happening than making any dent in Europe.

Alo0oy

Banned
Do we actually know that for sure? I don't think we have UK figures for the Wii U, like at all.

Wii U software does well in Germany and France, but the UK absolutely hates the Wii U (and Japanese games in general), I think his assumption is a safe one.

Moonstone

That's because the German chart is the Playstation chart guest starring other platforms, while in the UK both platforms are successful.

FIFA 16:
PS3: 200k+
XBO: 100k+

Both got this award in december - so PS Fifa 16 should be around 800-850k.
Edit: Forgot PC but it is still below 100k.

oti

Banned
I think in Germany a second console is more likely coming from Nintendo than from MS.

For the majority, sure. But there are also people who won't buy a Nintendo machine no matter what. MS could get those people. Maybe.

But talking from personal experience, people here are much more likely to build a gaming PC than getting a second console (an Xbox One).

patapuf

No, but the transition of how Xbox sales are recorded in Microsoft's quarterly reports are rather telling of its future.

It'll become a service.

If you look at what the focus was at the original Xbox one unveil that was the plan all along anyway.

I think the Xbox performing poorly (or at least not as well as hoped) merely accelerated everything.

They did everything right with the 360, and Europe and Japan still chose the PS3.

I think MS should just focus on regaining their lost marketshare in the US, which has a higher chance of happening than making any dent in Europe.

MS did not everything right with the 360. Aside from brand power Sony is so ahead in europe for the same reason the Xbox brand is popular in Mexico.

Great console that it was, they didn't do everything right with the 360, they had the RROD fiasco. Following that up with TV, TV, TV, NFL and Kinect is spectacularly wrong. I'd be concerned that MS dropping out would lead to another bloated and expensive Sony console, but MS need to do much better if they do go again.

Alo0oy

Banned
If you look at what the focus was at the original Xbox one unveil that was the plan all along anyway.

I think the Xbox performing poorly (or at least not as well as hoped) merely accelerated everything.

It's not doing poorly overall, only in Non-English speaking markets, it's doing quite well in the US and the UK.

patapuf

It's not doing poorly overall, only in Non-English speaking markets, it's doing quite well in the US and the UK.

They lost quite a bit of marketshare in all markets, and dramatically so in Europe.

If the branch wasn't peanuts for MS's overall numbers i don't think things would be as calm as they are now. MS is a global brand. I'm sure they want Xbox to be one as well.

For sure. They are racking in the sales und getting basically free money from MS.

Dat unprecedented partnership.

While this is very true, they've eroded a lot of mindshare this gen.
The way the video game industry is so globalised, it's almost foolish to perpetually bank on literally just two regions as a console manufacturer.

Top Bottom