• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HS Wrestler refuses to hit a Girl, forfeits match

Status
Not open for further replies.

V_Arnold

isny said:
How is that a principle though, I would call it sexist. The reason his "faith" says hitting woman is immoral is because most faiths treat woman as crap and the lesser sex.

Sexist? IT IS FACT that they are built weaker compared to man.
That is biology, not sexism.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
V_Arnold said:
You make it sound like its physically impossible for her to win.

kevm3

He made a smart choice. If he demolished her, people would be complaining about how he could be so rough on a woman and if he lost, he'd be taunted for losing to a girl.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I dunno if that's his true reason or not, but her frame looks like she was bred to be a warrior from birth.

DSN2K

he was in no win situation imo.

he won, he'd be mocked for beating a woman, he loses he'd be mocked for losing to a woman.

he took the right choice.

Shiggie

DSN2K said:
he was in no win situation imo.

he won, he'd be mocked for beating a woman, he loses he'd be mocked for losing to a woman.

he took the right choice.
Seriously? All those other guys she wrestled against seem to be doing fine.

LCGeek

formerly sane
This is disrespectful because off the bat he was spitting in every other competitor face but not taking a challenge rightfully earned. Like others I'm also sickened by faith and values being used to hide a cowards action. Some comments are cheeky fun but on a serious note the dude is a disgrace to the sport.

Also the males in here coming up with this hypothetical shit to excuse like if he demolished her. First way to use a situation that never happened to support and opinion that is already backwards. She clearly has skill so what business is it of people who likely have none in the sport to judge from such a perspective. You don't go far in tournament on luck alone. This is ego and it's sad some of you need to feed your own in this manner.

Chivalry has a place and time he showed he doesn't understand the concept nor what it truly means.

Seda

I don't know if this has been said, but apparently he is the son of a minister of a church that believes adolescent boys and girls shouldn't touch each other in such close proximity or something like that.

I'm neutral so don't act like I personally support or disprove of that.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I just think the title is erroneous.

No hitting in wrestling. In wrasslin', yes, but not hs wrestling.

Meh, who am I to talk, I've kicked and punched lots of girls.

I see no problem with what he did, he made a personal choice and had to live with the consequences, it's not like he tried to argue that she should forfeit. Would you guys really be happy if he'd won and hated himself for it later?

ScOULaris

What a joke. His whole facade about the forfeit being a matter of morals and faith isn't fooling me one bit. That little bastard was just afraid of losing to a girl and being humiliated in front of his peers.

Although I will admit that girls and boys should have different divisions in wrestling, but there simply aren't enough female wrestlers in HS to warrant that. It's just fucking wrestling though, and that kid needs to get over it. It's not like he's gonna be fighting the girl, and if he does consider his sport to be "fighting" then what difference would it make when it comes to faith whether he's "fighting" a boy or a girl?

Some have commented that the boy's explanation was uncharacteristically elegant for a teenager. I say he's just a sheltered prat.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
This website with a profile for her is a goldmine. There's photos with unbelievable physics going on, there's her dad, which turns out is actually Jeff Bridges, and there's this super-natural smile:

cassandra-herkelman.jpg

Despite that she's kinda hot.

ScOULaris

V_Arnold said:
Yes, that is a fact. With that said, however, wrestling is more about technique and leverage than pure strength. Strength can help make up for a slight deficiency in technique, but as long as they are in the same weight class a skilled female wrestler could beat a boy. If they are equally skilled, however, I'd give the advantage to the male wrestler for sure.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
jorma said:
That's the jesus spirit shining through again!

Nah, that's being a taekwondo coach.

People aren't going to learn to keep their hands up unless you kick them in t e head.

The prevailing moral code in western culture is that men do not engage in violence with women. It is looked down upon, seen as weak, and men are expected to accept small amounts of violence from women without retaliation beyond restraining the attack. I'm sure in competitive wrestling most guys will get around it but it must still be pretty awkward and add some stress to the match.

Now, apparently this moral code is sexist, and that restraining from violence with women is seen as insulting to women, but still men are expected to "take" a certain amount of disrespectful attitude from women and not react. That guy in the gif who had a drink thrown in his face--if another guy had done that he would have punched him right there, but because it's a woman all he did was knock her down. Did she have it coming? Fucking right she had it coming, you don't assault another person (albeit with a drink) and just get away with it; it's irrelevant that that woman was clearly significantly weaker than the guy, she initiated the violence.

I don't see a way that being okay with wrestling women in competition and "accepting" violence from women in normal situations can rationally exist at the same time. If the girl wrestler shoved the guy wrestler at a club and not a match, if he struck back he would have been seen as cowardly, weak, and a pussy. But at the match okay sure whatever. Huh?

ChiTownBuffalo

ScOULaris said:
Yes, that is a fact. With that said, however, wrestling is more about technique and leverage than pure strength. Strength can help make up for a slight deficiency in technique, but as long as they are in the same weight class a skilled female wrestler could beat a boy. If they are equally skilled, however, I'd give the advantage to the male wrestler for sure.

Yeah this is a skill thing.

Ther eis this girl who does MMA with us, and she used to be a pretty high level judoka. She demolishes alot of the guys in takedowna nd submissions, and that's just because she's a skilled athlete. She's about 5'6" and maybe 135?

Tom_Cody

I wrestled in high school at 135 lbs. Whenever I had to wrestle a girl, it was just a question of how long I should let her last before I pinned her. I always felt absurd in that situation.

Wrestling a girl was like wrestling someone 4 weight classes lower. There was never a hint of even competition.

jorma

is now taking requests
ChiTownBuffalo said:
Nah, that's being a taekwondo coach.

People aren't going to learn to keep their hands up unless you kick them in t e head.

Dissapointing. I was all "hell yeah, just like Jesus this man believes that you should treat whores exactly the same as everyone else" :p

ChiTownBuffalo

jorma said:
Dissapointing. I was all "hell yeah, just like Jesus this man believes that you should treat whores exactly the same as everyone else" :p

Well, like Jesus, one of the people I roll with is a total whore. She has some attachment issues. I wish she could resolve those.

ToxicAdam

ScOULaris said:
What a joke. His whole facade about the forfeit being a matter of morals and faith isn't fooling me one bit. That little bastard was just afraid of losing to a girl and being humiliated in front of his peers.

I doubt it. The kid took 3rd in the state at 103 lbs when he was a freshman. That takes a lot of skill to place so high.

It's more like he is just some douchebag with a confluence of ignorance, sexism and religion all guiding his thoughts.

2San

Google tells me this guy was heavily favored to win. Sporting a way better win/loss ratio. Honestly don't think he pussied out.
ToxicAdam said:
It's more like he is just some douchebag with a confluence of ignorance, sexism and religion all guiding his thoughts.
How is he douchebag? He just follows a standard that is pretty much used for all physical sports.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
I don't see the big deal. People can believe in different things, it's okay!

Seda said:
I don't know if this has been said, but apparently he is the son of a minister of a church that believes adolescent boys and girls shouldn't touch each other in such close proximity or something like that.

I'm neutral so don't act like I personally support or disprove of that.

Quoting in case people missed it. If your religion expressly forbids it it's kind of game over.

DY_nasty

Tom_Cody said:
I wrestled in high school at 135 lbs. Whenever I had to wrestle a girl, it was just a question of how long I should let her last before I pinned her. I always felt absurd in that situation.

Wrestling a girl was like wrestling someone 4 weight classes lower. There was never a hint of even competition.
May be a gap in skill in your case. I've seen capable female wrestlers before... but nevertheless, they put in the work - don't pull some bullshit and deny them a match. Once you're on the mat, in the ring, or on the field, everyone is equal.

ToxicAdam

2San said:
How is he douchebag? He just follows a standard that is pretty much used for all physical sports.

Because this is the biggest tournament of the year and he is facing somebody (man or woman) that earned the right to be there. So, he threw away his chance at a state title (and ultimately hurt his team) because of his silly religious objections.

ToxicAdam said:
Because this is the biggest tournament of the year and he is facing somebody (man or woman) that earned the right to be there. So, he threw away his chance at a state title (and ultimately hurt his team) because of his silly religious objections.
Speaking as an atheist I hate this attitude. To a lot of people religion is serious business, and for this kid it defines his moral code. You can't just dismiss that by calling his beliefs silly, regardless of whether or not they are.

This situation right here is a perfect example of cultural relativism, and a lot of people in this thread are flunking it hard.

2San

ToxicAdam said:
Even if he wasn't religious it's pretty understandable. Still the moral code in most of wrestling and most physical sports demands a diversion in men and women. He would just be consistent with that. I just dislike this double standard bullshit.

krzy123

The guy was ranked 5th (35-4) in the state in class 3-A, don't know if thats the highest Iowa classification or not. The girl was 20-13.

Tom_Cody

DY_nasty said:
May be a gap in skill in your case. I've seen capable female wrestlers before... but nevertheless, they put in the work - don't pull some bullshit and deny them a match. Once you're on the mat, in the ring, or on the field, everyone is equal.
I'm just recounting my personal experience. I have no idea how good the best female wrestlers in the country are.

Dead Man

ToxicAdam said:
Will you stop being on the same side of an argument I am on, throws me off! :)

ToxicAdam

Dave Inc. said:
Speaking as an atheist I hate this attitude. To a lot of people religion is serious business, and for this kid it defines his moral code. You can't just dismiss that by calling his beliefs silly, regardless of whether or not they are.

This situation right here is a perfect example of cultural relativism, and a lot of people in this thread are flunking it hard.

Of course you can call ASPECTS of someone's beliefs silly. Many things in Scientology are silly. Imprisoning or torturing someone for witchcraft is silly. Holding certain animals sacred is silly. Keeping pieces of dead people and revering them or praying to them is silly. Being beligerant to homosexuals is silly. All of these examples are things that people do because they think it's part of their belief system.

I support people that are religious also, but there has to be some reality in what someone believes or practices. They don't just get a free pass on horseshit because they believe it's "part of their religion". I am a confirmed Lutheran and there was nothing in my text or teaching that told me competing against a woman in a contact sport is somehow violating God's will. It's a contortion of the Bible and needs to be laughed at.

J-Rod

smh at half of gaf getting uppity because he had the audacity to cite his faith. It sounds to me he explained is reasons and personal feelings about the matter and they were legitimate and worth respect. Taking into account their records, odds are he would've whipped her ass anyway. I see no grounds for labeling him a pussy or a sexist.

ToxicAdam said:
Of course you can call ASPECTS of someone's beliefs silly. Many things in Scientology are silly. Imprisoning or torturing someone for witchcraft is silly. Holding certain animals sacred is silly. Keeping pieces of dead people and revering them or praying to them is silly. Being beligerant to homosexuals is silly. All of these examples are things that people do because they think it's part of their belief system.

I support people that are religious also, but there has to be some reality in what someone believes or practices. They don't just get a free pass on horseshit because they believe it's "part of their religion". I am a confirmed Lutheran and there was nothing in my text or teaching that told me competing against a woman in a contact sport is somehow violating God's will. It's a contortion of the Bible and needs to be laughed at.
I think you're looking at it wrong. Sure, his beliefs could be silly but they're his beliefs, and unless you feel like practicing religious intolerance you have to let him make his own choice based on those beliefs.

Edit: And there's a big difference between believing there are evil spirits of dead aliens invading your body and that engaging in violent contact with a woman is wrong.

Ducarmel

My roommate told me he had to wrestle girls, he said it was the the most scariest moment of his life and hardest fight he ever fought. He won and ever since his first fight with a girl, he never had a problem winning or losing a fight with a girl since.

I thought people got over girls wrestling with boys.

DY_nasty

J-Rod said:
smh at half of gaf getting uppity because he had the audacity to cite his faith. It sounds to me he explained is reasons and personal feelings about the matter and they were legitimate and worth respect. Taking into account their records, odds are he would've whipped her ass anyway. I see no grounds for labeling him a pussy or a sexist.
How is he not sexist?

ScOULaris

ToxicAdam said:
Okay, that's probably a fairer and more accurate assessment than my "pussied out" conclusion. Either way, I think he's severely misguided. It definitely is a slap in the girl's face and an insult to his team to let such a sheltered belief system guide his actions in this way.

They're his beliefs, and obviously he has the right to act on them how he sees fit. I also have the right to think he's immature and slightly foolish.

I'm not even religious and i wouldnt want to wrestle her. Just seems wrong. Wrestling doesn't strike me as a sport where genders should mix. It has something of a freak show.

But then i find wrestling in general creepy. I don't see the appeal in having another dudes sweaty crotch in my face.

DY_nasty

WorriedCitizen said:
I'm not even religious and i wouldnt want to wrestle her. Just seems wrong. Wrestling doesn't strike me as a sport where genders should mix. But then i find wrestling in general creepy. I don't see the appeal in having another dudes sweaty crotch in my face.

anyways, there generally aren't enough girls in the sport to warrant a full female division at the high school level

WorriedCitizen said:
But then i find wrestling in general creepy. I don't see the appeal in having another dudes sweaty crotch in my face.
Yeah I guess wrestling's not for you then, because that's the only reason anybody wrestles: to have a man's sweaty crotch in their face. Don't believe anything about a contest of skill, strength and endurance, it's just a bunch of bullshit made up to cover our love of sweaty man crotch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom