• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HS Wrestler refuses to hit a Girl, forfeits match

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiff

Banned
ToxicAdam said:
Because this is the biggest tournament of the year and he is facing somebody (man or woman) that earned the right to be there. So, he threw away his chance at a state title (and ultimately hurt his team) because of his silly religious objections.
He probably didn't hurt his team. I don't know how exactly the state tournament works in Iowa, but from where I'm from the team doesn't matter at that point. It's all about the individual.

And even if it's for religious reasons it's still pretty sexist. She presumably had to go through quite a few other male competitors to reach that point. She earned a spot in the state tournament (as a freshman, no less) and she deserves the respect any other competitor in her position would receive.

But whatever. I suppose throwing away his chance at the high school biggest tournament he can compete in is punishment enough.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Dave Inc. said:
Yeah I guess wrestling's not for you then, because that's the only reason anybody wrestles: to have a man's sweaty crotch in their face. Don't believe anything about a contest of skill, strength and endurance, it's just a bunch of bullshit made up to cover our love of sweaty man crotch.

That's why I do jiujitsu.

There is nothing like getting a sweaty man between my legs, breathingh heavily, forcing him to submit the awkward phsycial position I've put him in.

Serious question: If the girl wrestler shoved the guy wrestler in a public place and tried to start a fight, would it be okay or bad for the guy to fight back?

Edit: Fighting is, of course, bad, so I guess the question is: normal bad or extra bad?

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Dave Inc. said:
Serious question: If the girl wrestler shoved the guy wrestler in a public place and tried to start a fight, would it be okay or bad for the guy to fight back?

Street fights are never good. The only acceptable public, non regulated forms are combat are between small people, or scantily clad ladies in some form of viscous semi-edible fluid.

Leunam

Not if he wanted to stay on the wrestling team.

I'm going to ask my sister about this. She was on the wrestling team with another girl and they got to state but I'm curious how she would feel about a guy forfeiting like this.

ScOULaris

But had this kid never been matched up with a female wrestler up until this point? From the sound of it, it's not uncommon in high school wrestling to have to wrestle a girl every now and again.

When I was in highschool (10 years ago :sob:) I wrestled for a little while and there were no girls on any teams in my area. None. I'd assume there are more now but I'm sure it's still pretty rare.

Ah he just wanted to fuck so instead of getting charged for sexual assault during a wrestling match later he decided to be professional and quit!

Mims

Ok its story time.

In High school I came into similar situation at the Beast of the East tournament. First and only time i've wrestled a girl, the match literally lasted 30 seconds. First takedown I did slamed her a bit hard on the mat which ended up her crying about her ribs and me winning by injury.

Then for the rest of the tournament I was continuosly harrased with beating up a girl and injuring her. But honeslty I didn't care at all I had a good shot at winning the tournament and definately wasn't going to give it up though I did take 3rd :(. But I can honestly see why he didn't even want to deal with it.

FOOTE

Big-E said:
Girl looks stronger than the guy in the 2nd picture.

I disagree, he looks like he has a strong back. He should have just taken her down in a submission, his reasoning for not wrestling her is lame.

An-Det

Kid was in a lose-lose situation. Citing religious beliefs is a bit of a cop-out to fighting the match, but there was no easy way for that to end.

Out of respect for her as an athlete he shouldn't have forfeited. I wrestled in High School and you would see this happen a few times, mainly at tournaments. I never got put on the spot but one of my teammates did. The reason he gave for not wrestling a girl: he was afraid of popping a boner in front of everyone.

Meier

thoughthorizon said:
...because clearly this is the first time she's ever engaged in any sporting activity, and should be sitting in a separate room doing needlework.

By refusing to compete against her he completely disrespected her - far more painful than any injury she would likely have endured - if any.

... his FAITH!?!?!

"...though shalt not suffer a woman to wrestle" ??
He's from the Bible Belt but not every kid from that region is the same. Probably was raised in a very strict and moral home. I don't see what the big deal with it is -- I'm sure he's not the only one who feels that way and frankly this probably isn't the first time it's happened against her. It's a bigger stage here though.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
EricHasNoPull said:
Because of fuckers like this kid we will never have sexual equality.. way to go asshole!
HS lightweight wrestling notwithstanding, where she probably had a shot at winning against this guy (don't know what their track records are), I don't think there can be a true gender equality when it comes to physical sports, regardless. Just look at the results of top athletes in both genders, there's pretty solid differences there. If they got mixed, women would not be able to win at many sports, and that would suck in its own way, probably discouraging many female athletes from joining said sports to being with.

Dave Inc. said:

No. I'd grab her close to me. She gets more angry. She then calms down. We look at each other in the eyes. We make out.

Vagabundo

Meier said:
He's from the Bible Belt but not every kid from that region is the same. Probably was raised in a very strict and moral home. I don't see what the big deal with it is -- I'm sure he's not the only one who feels that way and frankly this probably isn't the first time it's happened against her. It's a bigger stage here though.

He was respectful about it. Far juice to him. I can understand his reasoning. I doubt she was offended.

I say good on him for sticking to his principles, if he really believes that and it was a hard decision he deserves some credit for not subjugating his code just so he could win

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Alienshogun said:
Pretty much. If he loses he got beat by a girl, if he wins, he beat up a girl.
I really don't understand this "he beat up a girl" thing that people are going on about...

DY_nasty said:
I really don't understand this "he beat up a girl" thing that people are going on about...
I don't know how to respond to this without explaining the whole of western culture. Where are you from?

Quick and dirty: Women are seen as the fairer sex, weak and unsuited to violence. A man beating up a woman is seen as cowardly and "dishonorable" since men should respect their own advantage in strength and not fight women.

Alucrid

Banned
Arcane Hayter said:
Out of respect for her as an athlete he shouldn't have forfeited. I wrestled in High School and you would see this happen a few times, mainly at tournaments. I never got put on the spot but one of my teammates did. The reason he gave for not wrestling a girl: he was afraid of popping a boner in front of everyone.

Everyone already sees what your packing with that uniform.

DY_nasty

Dave Inc. said:
I don't know how to respond to this without explaining the whole of western culture. Where are you from?

Quick and dirty: Women are seen as the fairer sex, weak and unsuited to violence. A man beating up a woman is seen as cowardly and "dishonorable" since men should respect their own advantage in strength and not fight women.
I'm from a North Carolina shithole.

As someone who's participated in every high school sport short of cheerleading, I don't get where people are coming from. This girl was 20-13, capable, and in a state tournament. (Sheltered) beliefs aside, how is denying another athlete a match because of their gender anything but sexist? People are making it sound as if she'd be torn limb from limb on the mat as the guy brutally assaulted her in the name of his high school.

Thats not how wrestling, or even mma, works. She'd get pinned - not broken into pieces.

Yeah, girls aren't as physically able as guys - but because of the circumstances, there wasn't a female division. Also, its clear that the supervisors and authority figures in that area had no problem with letting her participate in that weight division. Not only that, but she's been successful at the weight class. The only thing standing in the way of a match is blatant sexism behind a shroud of religion (whether its genuine or not).

kevm3

When's the last time MMA seriously had men and women competing together? Only time is if it's in some highly controlled sparring session. If this was a boxing match, should he have taken that offer as well?

Edit: Forgot to quote - this is in response to DY_Nasty

Oh okay I thought you meant you didn't understand why men don't hit women in general, not how it applies to the wrestling match.

Is bowing out of the match sexist? Yes. Was the guy being sexist when he did it? I doubt it. I trust that the guy was telling the truth when he said it was against his religion for him to wrestle her. So he's following his beliefs, which are sexist beliefs, but that doesn't imply he is sexist (okay he probably is but whatever).

And nobody seriously responded to the question I posed about them fighting in a non-sanctioned "street" fight so I'll throw out another thought. I don't see there being a rational explanation for why it would be okay for them to fight in the ring but not outside of it. If women are to be treated equally in competitive sports, why is it that they can slap men in public without fear of retaliation?

I understand the guy. It's not necessarily that he doesn't think the girl should be wrestling; he just feels that, were he to do something that injured her (and this is not necessarily a "girls are fragile" thing, since wrestling is a pretty rough sport), it would clash with his faith, which tells him that a man ought never hurt a woman. He's looking out for himself way more than he's looking out for her, methinks.

DY_nasty

"When's the last time MMA seriously had men and women competing together? Only time is if it's in some highly controlled sparring session. If this was a boxing match, should he have taken that offer as well?"

Generally, there'd be separate divisions for men and women. But because of the lack of female participants (and money in some cases), entire female divisions in high school wrestling are extremely rare. If it were amatuer boxing, they'd never see each other in a real match. Sparring though? It happens all the time across mma, boxing, and wrestling.
Dave Inc. said:
If women are to be treated equally in competitive sports, why is it that they can slap men in public without fear of retaliation?
Thats on a completely different tangent...

Mission

Dave Inc. said:
Is bowing out of the match sexist? Yes. Was the guy being sexist when he did it? I doubt it. I trust that the guy was telling the truth when he said it was against his religion for him to wrestle her. So he's following his beliefs, which are sexist beliefs, but that doesn't imply he is sexist (okay he probably is but whatever).

Umwhat? If I say "I ain't no racist but my uncle bob says them N****rs aughta been strung up in a line" would that mean I wasn't being racist? I would say it was. If this guy's beliefs are sexist then so is he for believing them. That's what belief is.

People also need to remember this was a HS match. Gender differences are not as pronounced at that age. If she worked out and trained as much as him, I don't think there would be any difference in strength. No more than the average difference between to random male wrestlers. You can tell even from the picture that their body types are quite similar.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
kevm3 said:
When's the last time MMA seriously had men and women competing together? Only time is if it's in some highly controlled sparring session. If this was a boxing match, should he have taken that offer as well?

If this were a boxing match, he'd be punching her in the face repeatedly. And there would be separate divisions for competition.

Christ, do you people not even know what wrestling is?

Alucrid

Banned
Archaix said:
If this were a boxing match, he'd be punching her in the face repeatedly. And there would be separate divisions for competition.

Getting yo' face all up in a sweaty crotch, right?

Dave Inc. said:
I don't see there being a rational explanation for why it would be okay for them to fight in the ring but not outside of it. If women are to be treated equally in competitive sports, why is it that they can slap men in public without fear of retaliation?
The way the world looks at women is extremely tricky. We want to give them equal rights and treat the equally, but it seams they get to pick and chose when this is applicable. That's great for them, but it gets really confusing for us guys.

How different would the reaction to this story be if he did wrestle her and she got seriously injured? The same people saying she should be treated equally now would be saying it was unfair to make a girl wrestle a boy.

Bottom line: as a man you can never win any argument about gender equality.

kevm3

Archaix said:

So what? That would be sexist to separate the divisions and to infer that women are inferior when it comes to athletics.

DY_nasty said:
Thats on a completely different tangent...
Maybe, but I see it as a continuation of the arguments presented here. It's a perpetuation of a double standard: Men are conditioned not to fight women, and then put in a situation where they have to fight a woman. That's difficult to rationalize.

ShadyLurker said:
People also need to remember this was a HS match. Gender differences are not as pronounced at that age. If she worked out and trained as much as him, I don't think there would be any difference in strength. No more than the average difference between to random male wrestlers. You can tell even from the picture that their body types are quite similar.
When I was in wrestling this was the case. The girls physically matched the boys in their weight class.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Don't get your panties in a bunch, she already lost.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/high...ss&source=twitter&ex_cid=Twitter_espn_6135272

DES MOINES, Iowa -- An Iowa high school wrestler who became the first girl ever to win a state tournament match when her opponent refused to compete against her has lost her next match.

Cedar Falls freshman Cassy Herkelman was beaten by Indianola's Matt Victor in their 112-pound quarterfinals match Friday.

Herkelman had a 20-13 record entering the tournament, but was deprived of the chance to show her skills Thursday when her favored opponent defaulted rather than wrestle her. Joel Northrup, a sophomore who competes for Linn-Mar High School, says wrestling a girl would conflict with his religious beliefs.

Herkelman and Ottumwa High School sophomore Megan Black are the first two girls to qualify for the tournament in its 85-year history.

Herkelman will compete in the consolation bracket. Black has been eliminated.

Meier

Mims said:
Ok its story time.

In High school I came into similar situation at the Beast of the East tournament. First and only time i've wrestled a girl, the match literally lasted 30 seconds. First takedown I did slamed her a bit hard on the mat which ended up her crying about her ribs and me winning by injury.

Then for the rest of the tournament I was continuosly harrased with beating up a girl and injuring her. But honeslty I didn't care at all I had a good shot at winning the tournament and definately wasn't going to give it up though I did take 3rd :(. But I can honestly see why he didn't even want to deal with it.
Quoting for those that missed this.

Mission said:
Umwhat? If I say "I ain't no racist but my uncle bob says them N****rs aughta been strung up in a line" would that mean I wasn't being racist? I would say it was. If this guy's beliefs are sexist then so is he for believing them. That's what belief is.
There's a difference between "Women are too weak for violence" and "It's not right to hit women". It's debatable but it's possible to not want to fight women without being sexist, and we can't know for sure without being the kid in question.

Arcane Hayter said:
When I was in wrestling this was the case. The girls physically matched the boys in their weight class.
In lower weight classes definitely, but nothing past 150lbs that I have seen. Once you start going up in weight the differences in strength become more pronounced.

DY_nasty

EvilMario said:
Don't get your panties in a bunch, she already lost.
Glad she finally got a match... Had no clue she was fucking a freshmen though. Thats damned impressive.

MechaX

C4Lukins said:
That is a hard situation to be in. He fights her and wins, and he gets little respect. He fights her and loses and it is the ultimate humiliation. He forfeits and he appears to be sexist, a giant pussy, or somewhat noble for not wanting to have a violent encounter with a female. It is just a no win situation for the guy. It is a hard spot to be put in.

Absolutely this. Hell, throw in a situation where he decides to wrestle, he ends up seriously injuring her, and then people start white-knighting the girl solely on that basis (regardless of the fact that injury is an apparent risk in wrestling no matter the sex).

Total lose-lose situation in this case.

MWS Natural said:
In lower weight classes definitely, but nothing past 150lbs that I have seen. Once you start going up in weight the differences in strength become more pronounced.
Even in lower weight classes there will be a difference in strength. When I was 14 I was still short and about 130lbs but I could climb up a rope ladder using just my arms, girls I knew who were taller than me and 130lbs couldn't get off the ground.

I never did any sort of strength training, either, just the way my body was.

MWS Natural said:
Yeah, that would be true, we never saw any girls in the 145 or above, but what your saying makes sense.

DY_nasty

Dave Inc. said:
Even in lower weight classes there will be a difference in strength. When I was 14 I was still short and about 130lbs but I could climb up a rope ladder using just my arms, girls I knew who were taller than me and 130lbs couldn't get off the ground.

I never did any sort of strength training, either, just the way my body was.
Most girls who are 130 at that age are just plain fat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom