• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kbar strikes back: OFFICIAL GAF ESPN FOOTBALL 2k5 Xbox league! sign up inside!!

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
D'ultimate, there is a waiting list for the season... check out the first page to see where you land...

EDIT...

<---- Lmao @ I just noticed my tag....

Cloudy

Banned
Alright folks, I messed around with Legend a bit last night and here's what I noticed:

- Kicking is a bit more difficult. No more max kicks every time and fgs are harder even with no wind cos the arrow and meter move faster. I didn't get a single touchback with Vanderjagt which is amazing lol

- I tried my best to cheez it up with Grossman and Manning and while I did get some decent yards here and there, it's not almost guaranteed out of a no-back set like in All Pro.

- The CPU pursuit is stronger so there are fewer big plays. If you let the AI run them down, they are usually stopped.

- The stats are totally realistic. No 300 yds passing every other game

Try it out for yourselves but I think we should play our season in Legend :)

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
OK, seems like my Cable Modem woes are worked out well enough to play. On Monday it will be worked out for good.

dskillzhtown is the gamertag. I won't have a headset until Saturday so don't expect any commentary until then.

i tested out a lot of different formations/etc last night for about 30 mins. here's the details and what i found:

I went into practice mode, and set it so i could call the offensive AND defense plays. I put the difficult on Legend. here's what happened:

Team I picked: Buffalo Bills, they have the slowest starting QB in the league (drew is a 53)
Team I picked to play against (they would be on defense): Baltimore Ravens

Result in non-quad formations: I had good success running on the Ravens with Bledsoe no matter what really. I couldn't ALWAYS get wide of the ends, but even if i couldn't all i had to do it drop back, wait a second, and scramble to a crackon the inside, and THEN go wide. The result? Usually a guaranteed 15 yard run. It varied on what kind of D i called for them (zones worked a little better, but only by a couple yards), but i ALWAYS got over 10 yards. And one time i got a 25 (!) yard run with drew bledsoe... on the ravens.

Result in quad formations: Even worse. Since no one was near the line, I could do the same exact thing with half the pressure. Once I dropped back, I could again just step up and run through a crack, the only worse part being that there was NO ONE near the line of scrimage for the defense because the receivers were running their routes. Again, zone defense against this fared better, but not by much. The DB's/LB's are too slow to react to you in a zone. they will ONLY go after you once you have passed the line of scrimage. this will be too late.

so, after being disappointed in this, what i did was boost the CPU defensive sliders TO THEIR MAX. even with max pursuit on, i still had the same exact success.

so, it's clear to me this is a major problem. i don't care what anyone says, there's no way this shit should be possible. Drew bledsoe tearing up the ravens? not on the ground my friends. something needs to be done

Cloudy

Banned
Even if that wasn't a problem, anyone who was determined to cheeze it up would find something else. Folks just have to understand what a sim league is and play like that...

edit: Hg, I think the updated rosters would put him on your team...

hgplayer1

yeah but im thinking they wont update rosters until at least training camp is over.

oh did you guys notice that if you go to send a player feedback, you can also rate his play style? i dont remember what all the styles are that you can rate someone but they include sim, some sim, average, no sim and I think there are a couple more.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
hgplayer1 said:
yeah but im thinking they wont update rosters until at least training camp is over.

oh did you guys notice that if you go to send a player feedback, you can also rate his play style? i dont remember what all the styles are that you can rate someone but they include sim, some sim, average, no sim and I think there are a couple more.

I never knew that...... I have a rating of AVG i think...

Cloudy

Banned
Speaking of little things we've noticed...

In the play select screen, press the right stick in and you'll see the history of how many times you've used that play in the game plus the results you got....

edit: Anyone want a game now? :)

Maverick

There are a lot of little things in this game that I didn't notice at first. I am loving the little nuances in the animations and graphics department. This is something that NCAA usually has every year. On the surface, it looks like the same game, but playing it is a whole different experience.

The running game is really turned down. The broken tackles are pretty rare on all-pro, even with the backs I played with like good old Ricky Williams and Corey Dillon. I hope people still use the run and don't start gun slinging every down like in Madden online.

Anyone noticing some weird stuff going on with the audio though? It could be just my speakers, but Dan & Peter seem to be too low or something, and sometimes the crowd gets unusually quiet. Like I will be returning a kick and everything will get dead silent, and you'll hear the loud "uuurrrrgh!" of the hit. I guess I should try tweaking the audio settings. I'm used to playing NCAA w/ it's loud-ass crowds.

If someone could tell me the audio settings they use that would be cool.

Also, I like my custom camera. The default is just too close without putting on pass play zoom out, imo. I pull it back and switch up the angle a bit to give me a wider view.

I'm in with the Falcons, ladies.....Look for a full year of Vick cheese. :D

Cloudy

Banned
Yah, he's Maverick...

And Meier dropped out so the Saints are open and it looks like you're next in line to get them, Mally....

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Oh ok... I had no idea...

So the Saints it is....

I have a meeting planned with AAron and Duece tonight, getting them on the same page....

Cloudy

Banned
We have to play on Legend. Seriously, it's great. Me and rc213 just had a great game with no outrageous stats. Final score was 14-7 too o_O

Fifty

I'd also prefer legend. I don't see what it could take away from the games, and since we're all legit players, it should only add to the games.

Hope more people sign in tonight!

05coach.jpg

The Gunther Factor™ runs this town.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Yea I'm cool with Legend.

gunther cunningham is the equivalent of a mcdonalds manager who gets fired, and then a year later they offer him a job as a cashier and he takes it. what a joke. the entire chiefs organization is a joke. of course their defense will get better this year, but only because you can't drop any further than the bottom, which is where they were at against the colts.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Cerebral Palsy said:
05coach.jpg

The Gunther Factor™ runs this town.

LOLLL that picture is Chilling.... I feel sorry for the offenses in the league this year....

also can I sign in as the saints yet??

Fifty

Yeah, I'm suprised that it's still at the top. It's not the GA league, and it's just something a bunch of people outside of the boards wanted me to set up. I couldn't find the GA league on the list, so I had to search for it with the black button. :(

these are the people who haven't signed up yet or i haven't heard from:

08. bishoptl - Seattle Seachickens
12. Andy - New England Patriots
17. JayFro - Greenbay Packers
19. soulja - st. louis rams
24. Agent Dormer - Buffalo Bills
28. MattCoz - Tennessee Titans
30. biff hardbody - oakland raiders
31. jobber - New York Jets

there are a couple guys who aren't on that list and haven't signed up but i talked to both of them already and it is due to network issues. other dudes, just sign in or at least post here that you're still interested.

p.s. if anyone thinks i'm stupid enough to give away bishops spot regardless of if he posts here or not you're nuts

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
FrenchMovieTheme said:
looks like part of the qb scrambling problem is any "spread" formation. it spreads the D out so much, and the QB is so fast, that it is an auto 5 yard gain and usually more. maybe we need to look into a no-scramble in 4-5 wide sets or something.

lets have some feedback, what does everyone else feel we should do?

I want a straight League, period. Truth be told, McNabb is know as runner but most of you won't know that he rarely runs more then 3 times a game. So if McNabb only runs about 3 times or less a game, I certainly don't want to see any pocket passer with more rushing yards then some RB, that is just plain stupid. I don't care what formation it is, they shouldn't be running at all. All your doing is abusing the fact that VC messed up the QB Spy feature.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
FrenchMovieTheme said:
these are the people who haven't signed up yet or i haven't heard from:

08. bishoptl - Seattle Seachickens
12. Andy - New England Patriots
17. JayFro - Greenbay Packers
19. soulja - st. louis rams
24. Agent Dormer - Buffalo Bills
28. MattCoz - Tennessee Titans
30. biff hardbody - oakland raiders
31. jobber - New York Jets

there are a couple guys who aren't on that list and haven't signed up but i talked to both of them already and it is due to network issues. other dudes, just sign in or at least post here that you're still interested.

p.s. if anyone thinks i'm stupid enough to give away bishops spot regardless of if he posts here or not you're nuts

i just joined online

TheDuce22

Banned
Apparently all my problems were related to my cable modem cause my connection is flawless now. Anyway i ended up playing someone who tried to abuse the qb scrambling and got shut down. Now either he just sucks or you need to try harder. From what i have seen so far its more than possible to stop.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
OK, I've played a few practice games, messed around with my music settings and I'm good to go. I've also linked my Xbox live gamertag to my MSN. How do I access the league so i can sign up? It's probably somewhere in this thread but damned I'm going through all of that again. :p

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
bishoptl said:
OK, I've played a few practice games, messed around with my music settings and I'm good to go. I've also linked my Xbox live gamertag to my MSN. How do I access the league so i can sign up? It's probably somewhere in this thread but damned I'm going through all of that again. :p

Bish, you got PM.

Now either he just sucks or you need to try harder. From what i have seen so far its more than possible to stop.

duce its not that it flat out CANT be stopped. but this is a sim league. the tom brady and kyle bollers of the world shouldn't be running for 50+ yards a game. whether it can technically be stopped or not isn't the point, most of us can stop it. but there's no need to bring that cheese to the league in the first place.

TheDuce22

Banned
Im not saying its not overpowered, im just saying that it can be stopped which i guess you agree with. Its nowhere near as bad as the superbacks of last year, that was the point i was trying to make.

Ramirez

I haven't tried Maddox's runnin ability,but the main reason is because I know in real life he can't run worth a shit,so why even try it in the game?I agree that pocket passers should stay in the pocket unless its a sneak or something for a yard or two.It might be stoppable,but its not something we should even have to worry about,its hard enough to stop the real offensive threats for me :p

hgplayer1

you know I dont think ive tried to scramble once. I even remember this one play in a game I got some crazy pressure in the pocket and i somehow moved around and avoided everything and got a completion off without even using the evade thing. I just dont even think about anything other than making reads when im passing. there have been plays where i throw an incompletion and i happen to notice that the QB was free to run for the first down and I never even saw it while the play was happening. its just not something i look for i guess.

Ramirez

you know I dont think ive tried to scramble once. I even remember this one play in a game I got some crazy pressure in the pocket and i somehow moved around and avoided everything and got a completion off without even using the evade thing.

Dude that was me and I was cussing every breathe,lmao.I had like 2 LBs and a DL back there and you wiggled around all 3 of them,I wanted to hurt something =(

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Am I the only one that thinks its hard as hell to pull off QB evade having to click the right thumbstick in? The Texans have a shitty offensive line in this game and I fear Carr is going to get crushed all the time since we wont be running with QB's in the league.

I predict I will throw 4 ints a game and my back Davis will average 2.5 yards a carry....WOOT :D You all will have a field days with the teams ranked 70 something :p

hgplayer1

Matrix said:
Am I the only one that thinks its hard as hell to pull off QB evade having to click the right thumbstick in? The Texans have a shitty offensive line in this game and I fear Carr is going to get crushed all the time since we wont be running with QB's in the league.

I predict I will throw 4 ints a game and my back Davis will average 2.5 yards a carry....WOOT :D You all will have a field days with the teams ranked 70 something :p

Im not quite sure why you feel this way. you were passing all over my defense and i wasnt gettin any pressure on Carr. I think if you had mixed in the run a little more (with your RB) you really would have had me guessing.

Matrix

We will be playing on Legend..that was all-pro.From what I played against the computer on Legend,I wont be throwing like that :p

i know this QB running is probably a touchy subject for some, but it has to be done. i know most of us don't even think run first with our QB anyways, but i just want to cover myself and the league by coming out and saying dont do it.

ramirez, it's not a matter of what maddux can do in real life, i guarantee you he can run it in this game. read above. i torched the ravens D with drew bledsoe. bledsoe has a 53 speed rating. if bledsoe can do it against the CPU on legend with pursuit maxed out, then anyone can do it.

of course you're going to be tempted, down late in the game, to spread your offense and rip off an easy 10 yards here, 15 yards there with a qb sneak, but just dont do it. play the game legit, as it was meant to be played.

i understand not all of us have great offensive personnel. i'm pretty sure the niners could challenge any of your teams for worst rated offense in the game, so it's no excuse. matrix, try taking a look at the ratings of the starters on your team. i found that VC had screwed up my offensive rosters. i had a guard who was a 60 starting, while a 75 rated guard was on the 3rd team. also, i had a 60 rated WR as my slot receiver when i had a 74 waiting as 3rd string.

bottom line is this: i would personally rather lose a game than light any of you up for 40 or 50 yards with tim rattay or ken dorsey. i would rather be blown out 30-0 then win by a touchdown because i QB rushed for a big first down when i have no business doing that with these QB's. everyone wants to win, but it's not all about winning. it's about having fun and it's about the chess match you play with your opponent. be a man about it, call the right plays, and read the defense like you should. no one is having fun when garbage like QB rushing comes up when you're in a bind. does that mean "dont scramble outside the pocket"? no. do whatever, but we all know what sim-balling is, and this is a sim league so lets keep that in mind at all times.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
the thing that sucks about this is I allways run with Favre.. ever since 2k. The packers roll the pocket about a third of the time in real life.. so Ive allways done that, and if no one stays home I take off for 5-6 yards, just like Favre does. Now when Im playing online I dont do it anymore because I dont want to do anything that is cheese at all.. which takes away what was a legitamate offensive weapon for me (I dont do it excesivly maybe once or twice a game, and never for more than around 10 yards)...

granted, this doesnt effect me in the league, because I have the Retard from Oregon.

Top Bottom