• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kbar strikes back: OFFICIAL GAF ESPN FOOTBALL 2k5 Xbox league! sign up inside!!

Cloudy

Banned
Some guys think this kind of stuff is so easy to code for. They had it last year so I bet there's a good reason why they took the option of team replacement out now. The admins just better be picky about who they let in and go from there. After a few seasons, we'll know who's legit and who's not. Hell, it''s not like there's a better option for leagues on the market right now.

If and when there is, then folks can start bitching....

DMczaf

Cloudy said:
Some guys think this kind of stuff is so easy to code for. They had it last year so I bet there's a good reason they took the option of team replacement out now. The admins just better be picky about who the let in and go from there. After a few seasons, we'll know who's legit and who's not. Hell, it''s not like there's a better option on the market right now.

If and when there is, then folks can start bitching....

woreilly.jpg

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
lol @ DM

I was just about to post a pic of O'Reilly.

Cloudy

Banned
I'm serious guys. Some of you don't appreciate how advanced this shit is. When there is a better option, then trash VC....

konex do you honestly believe that if and when EA puts online leagues in madden, they wont be executed better than this?

i appreciate that VC has done online leagues and i think they are very fun. but some of the shit that slips through the cracks just baffles me. it's like a carpenter building this awesome mansion full of great shit, then he forgets to build a door and windows. it just makes you wonder what the hell they are doing @ vc...

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Are the servers back up? I want to play someone and I dont care if I lose by Fifty :p I'm friggin bored.

ShadowRed

Banned
FrenchMovieTheme said:
man i was so tempted to burn you with a chick related comment, but i will resist...

i think the league will be alright. lets see how it goes.

p.s. also, pray for madden online leagues as well

I agree with the Madden comment. At this point all ESPN is to me is 5 dollors store credit towrads Madden...if that.

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
Here some info that will help you guys:

Hello all NFL Players,

We wanted to outline the issues that have been experienced during this first week of release with NFL 2k5 as well as offer some explanations and an update on progress towards getting them fixed. Hang in there, both the development team of the game and Xbox Live reps talk every day with each other, and we are definitely working on a patch (Auto Update) to remedy these issues and we will be releasing that patch as soon as we make sure it passes testing and verification. There are two main issues that folks appear to be experiencing with NFL 2k5:

1) Not able to get the latest rosters:

First some background - In order to keep the teams fair online, everyone's roster need to be in sync. One player cannot have Eddie George on the Titans, while another person has him on the Cowboys (if you believe this weeks trade rumors anyway : ) . So every time you log onto Live, NFL 2K5 checks your roster version, and if there is an update, it gets download the latest one to your Xbox. NFL 2k5 is the first game that uses a new developer feature called Live Server Platform, which allows those rosters to come from a server being hosted by ESPN Videogames, so that roster file is not coming from a server located in the Live service. That explains why some folks may be able to log into Live successfully but are having an issue getting or checking a roster version. If that version check and download cannot be completed due to any kind of issue (internet problems, ESPN server offline, solar flares, whatever) then you will not be able to go online and play. You will know if you are experiencing this issue because you will see the "Roster cannot be validated" error message and you will not be able to go online. Why are people experiencing this? That is part of the current investigation, but if you have any kind of transient networking problem that causes the roster to not be checked, then start off by rebooting and trying to log in again and get the rosters checked. Future versions of the game will do this check later in the log on process.

2) Being able to get online, but not being able to connect to someone else and play.

This issue is separate from the issue above, because if you are experiencing this, you have already made it online and successfully passed the roster version checking and download issue listed above. This second issue shows itself by selecting someone to play against, but timing out when you attempt to connect to that person. If users are unable to play with someone else they need to try rebooting. The problem here is if you challenge 4 different users who don't accept (forcing you to cancel your challenge) you will be unable to challenge anyone else or to be challenged yourself. Likewise, if a user creates and cancels 4 matches he will be unable to challenge or be challenged. A reboot is in order in either case. The recommendation is trying to play with people who will accept your challenges (ie, friends). The developers have identified how to fix this and are working with the Xbox Live team to get a patch out to everyone ASAP. This issue does not happen to every game, but it does happen. Best advice is to keep trying to connect to folks until this gets patched.

Again, we just ask for some patience while we ensure that the fixes that we think will address these issues get tested and verified, so we know we are getting them nailed down. We do appreciate all the info that people who have experienced this issue have graciously supplied to help us investigate it as well.

Thanks,

ESPN Videogames / Xbox Live Team

Matrix

Cloudy said:
Matrix, let's try

Ok,just give me five minutes..no router here.

Matrix

hgplayer1

wow Sega and VC are actually managing to fuck up things again!

no divisions in season play? fuck!

someone please explain to me why that would be so hard to make possible. they had divisions last year, the schedules just didnt generate realistically. now they take a step back and have no divisions at all?

its good to hear that they are addressing the two main problems people are having with playing online......but the fact that they said a patch is coming pending testing and verification.....i doubt we'll see the patch by september.

the thing with not being able to replace people who quit doesnt bother me too much. as long as it doesnt happen early on in the season it shouldnt be too big a factor. I guess it also depends how the shedule plays out but replacing quitters seemed to become such a pain in the ass Id rather just have the league continue on with the players that signed up.

Fifty

I think it's hilarious that a patch that intends to fix the problem with roster verification needs itself to be verified before it can be downloaded. Damn you VC! You guys love to verify stuff....

ShadowRed

Banned
"the thing with not being able to replace people who quit doesnt bother me too much. as long as it doesnt happen early on in the season it shouldnt be too big a factor. I guess it also depends how the shedule plays out but replacing quitters seemed to become such a pain in the ass Id rather just have the league continue on with the players that signed up."

First screws the stats up. If anything if they were going to do that then have the omputer take over the tem or sim the game so that atleast stats are generated. Secind there are always other people who would want to join the league, even a 2-10 team because they know that there will be a next season.

hgplayer1

yeah it screws up the stats but that doesnt stop all the fun of the league. I think just making it to the end of the season is where the fun begins. then its playoff time and you have a whole years worth of stats by the players that completed their games to gameplan for.

the thing i hate about gettin replacements is that first you have to find one. next you have to get him on the same page with everyone else as far as how to get games scheduled and when are the best times to play and whats the best way to reach people. I admit most people that come in as a replacement are good about those things but sometimes other people in the league dont realize theres a new player and so for whatever reason miscommunications happen. Ive seen it, it happens. also if the replacement players comes in say around game 5, his opponent has nothing to go by to create a gameplan since the first 4 games were by someone else.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Matrix said:
Well Stooge and I just played a game,Fifty whats the deal on your in :p I also dont think the servers are down,I was just on :\

you sure you want to call that a game? :p

I would prefer to call that the biggest bumblefuck of all time... I was the greater bumblefuck and you nabbed the win. What were there 4 or 5 turnovers in that game? The best pair were mine though.. I stop you, am driving to make it a one score game, throw a pick. Two plays later you score a TD. I get the ball back, throw a pick. Jesus that was terrible :(

Mofo

FrenchMovieTheme said:
yes you can mofo. welcome to the league

Thanks French, I'm just waiting for Shadow to drop and sign up again as the Raiders so I can take my Vikes... I'm stoked!

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I wonder if that will be reflected in a later roster update. As a Saints fan, I'm sure not surprised. The best thing we ever did was draft Deuce and start down the road of getting rid of him.

Maverick

Ha. So I wake up this morning to all this news about how the leagues suck. And I have to say, I'm suprised at how suprised I am to read this. How could I have not seen this coming? Where's the big shocker here? Of course VC has to make an incredibly realistic representation of the game of football, complete with working online league, yet somewhere, some way, leave out divisions and real schedules?!?!?!?! There aren't enough question marks and exclamation points to even begin to highlight my disappointment.

VC is the ex girlfriend that just keeps on suckering me back in. Every year.

Now, I am still down for this league, but I don't know if we can trust 32 guys to be reliable. Hell, is everyone even signed in yet? I understand server problems, but there's all kinds of things that can go wrong.

If Madden has killer leagues......I mean, as much as I love ESPN 2k5, a greate online league would be enough for me to play Madden again this year.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Hey, I'm all signed in - if only I could connect to somebody, that'd be nice. I'm down to give it a shot all day today, keep an eye out on your friends list.

ShadowRed

Banned
bishoptl said:
Hey, I'm all signed in - if only I could connect to somebody, that'd be nice. I'm down to give it a shot all day today, keep an eye out on your friends list.

What's you tag again?

ShadowRed

Banned
Does anyone know if you can flip a run play, ie say your RB is supposed to run to the left, but you change it at the line so he runns to the right? I loved this feature in Madden and have come across a couple instances were I could have used it in this game.

Cloudy

Banned
ShadowRed said:
Does anyone know if you can flip a run play, ie say your RB is supposed to run to the left, but you change it at the line so he runns to the right? I loved this feature in Madden and have come across a couple instances were I could have used it in this game.

Welcome to ESPN 2k4, Shadow :p

Just press y to audible then click in the right stick...

Cloudy

Banned
Now, I am still down for this league, but I don't know if we can trust 32 guys to be reliable

Probably not but Hg is right about the replacements thing. Trust me, it was more trouble than it was worth. After season 1, we'll know who's reliable then streamline the league...

leave out divisions and real schedules?!?!?!?

I think they left out divisions cos they didn't want what happened last year (shitty division winner gets in over contender in tough division. Believe it or not, it's not so easy to design a non-complex algorithm for that shit that will be realistic. Also, they might want to use the same framework for next season and I doubt they'd want to recode the schedules according to next year's. Several seasons will be played throughout year and who wants to have the same sched over and over again anyways?

DMczaf

College Dropout said:
Ha. So I wake up this morning to all this news about how the leagues suck. And I have to say, I'm suprised at how suprised I am to read this. How could I have not seen this coming? Where's the big shocker here? Of course VC has to make an incredibly realistic representation of the game of football, complete with working online league, yet somewhere, some way, leave out divisions and real schedules?!?!?!?! There aren't enough question marks and exclamation points to even begin to highlight my disappointment.

You dont get it. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus, which made you THINK the leagues suck. How do you think VC feels when Venus is confusing their customers into thinking their leagues suck and are half assed?!

Cloudy

Banned
I guess I'm looking at this as a programmer not just a customer. You guys can keep bitching but I will enjoy what's available...

hgplayer1

Cloudy said:
I think they left out divisions cos they didn't want what happened last year (shitty division winner gets in over contender in tough division. Believe it or not, it's not so easy to design a non-complex algorithm for that shit that will be realistic. Also, they might want to use the same framework for next season and I doubt they'd want to recode the schedules according to next year's. Several seasons will be played throughout year and who wants to have the same sched over and over again anyways?

wow these are really good explanations for those two things being the way they are. makes sense that if I use to Cowboys in every league I join I would be playing the same teams in each and every league. this also could have been fixed by giving the administrator control over the schedules.

the lack of division basically makes it a season fighting for brakcet spots. no wildcards, no bye weeks. sure its not like the real NFL but now that I look at that way it kinda makes sense to me. now if madden somehow happens to pull off real schedules with admin ability to edit them, the ability to accurately pick playoff teams according to all the variables that the NFL applies, and give a better overall expereince it may be goodnight Irene to VC and ESPN. but for now thanks for helping me see why VC may have done it this way.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Cloudy beat me 27-17, but it was still a satisfying game. :D

He ran up the score in the first quarter, then I started slowly whittling it down...and then came the play of the game. He calls a fake field goal, makes the completed pass, and his receiver moves towards goal line...

...starts dancing....

...then gets NAILED and FUMBLES THE BALL ON THE 1-YARD LINE

Recovery, mine. Game was pretty well over at that point, but it was worth it just to hear him scream like a girl into his headset. Great game, man.

Matrix

"Recovery, mine. Game was pretty well over at that point, but it was worth it just to hear him scream like a girl into his headset. Great game, man."

LOL

DMczaf

FrenchMovieTheme said:
looks like you just bought yourself a one way ticket to shutdown city

!!

30 mins til FMT feels the power of Lynch!

24 hours til FMT gets the beatdown of a lifetime from the world champ Bucs!

hgplayer1

someone should shoot this league and put it out of its misery........

seriously though do you guys know anyone that would want to join the league and fill the spots?

DMczaf

hgplayer1 said:
someone should shoot this league and put it out of its misery........

seriously though do you guys know anyone that would want to join the league and fill the spots?

We should just let the reserves in for most of the spots, I know 1-2 of the guys left have reasons why they cant login yet.

hgplayer1

the thing that worries me is where will everyone be if we ever fill all the spots? I wouldnt be surprised if we get a lot of people that never realize it starts since its been so long since they signed up.

Matrix

I'm tempted to start an 8 team league and get rolling! >_<

Top Bottom