• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Destiny Alpha Withdrawal Thread

Rur0ni

I actually finally had time to download the alpha. Tried to play and got the server down message. Then I come here and realize it's been over forever. How lame, lol.

Seil

I'm confused on upgrading skills.

Do you just unlock them all eventually or do you have to make choices on certain ones, like the weapon upgrades where you choose one thing over another.

That skill calc just lets you select everything, I don't remember what it did in the alpha.

You can't select everything in-game. Different grenades replace each other, certain jump modifications replace others. From what I saw, a vertical line would only allow one choice to be selected unless there was a downward arrow. An example being the super column, where you would unlock the super itself and then have a couple options that modify it. The modifications I believe only allowed you to select one.

The final "skill" in a focus locks the choices in and provides another stat bonus. So, if you don't go for that, you can still freely change things around, presumably, but you miss out on some stats for doing so.

There's no telling how this may have changed considering the alpha build we played was "ancient", though.

Marvel

could never
Destiny Beta | OT | This thread most definitely did not come from the moon

Destiny Beta | OT | If you see this thread flying in the air, you have to read it!

Maligna

Banned
BTW, what are Grimoire's?

While I was playing the alpha I apparently kept unlocking them, and it told me to go to bungie's website to check them out. I didn't see anything, so I still don't know what they are.

Marvel

could never
BTW, what are Grimoire's?

While I was playing the alpha I apparently kept unlocking them, and it told me to go to bungie's website to check them out. I didn't see anything, so I still don't know what they are.

Cool cards that give you background info on a lot of things :) you should check em out.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Another Gold Wireless user here; I have been using it for pretty much every PS4 game recently. First thing I'll do at Destiny launch day is download the Destiny-specific settings from the app.

Didn't know it even had one! That might tip me to get it sooner rather than later.

Kelsey

Banned
Didn't know it even had one! That might tip me to get it sooner rather than later.

It doesn't have one yet. It might. Personally I don't hear any difference between the presets for Action, inFamous, or Watch Dogs. They all sound equally good. The headset is integrated incredibly well with the PS4. I've now started using it to take screenshots instead of using the share button.

It doesn't have one yet. It might. Personally I don't hear any difference between the presets for Action, inFamous, or Watch Dogs. They all sound equally good. The headset is integrated incredibly well with the PS4. I've now started using it to take screenshots instead of using the share button.

Again, a function I forgot about. I did test PS4 voice functionality when I first got my headset, and it was picking me up even when I was whispering really softly.

F0NZ

Has anyone that preordered Destiny from psn on the PS4 received a beta key yet?

Not yet, but I remember reading that they will be sending the code, along with instructions to those who pre-ordered via PSN, to the email account registered with the sony store.

I, too, am anxiously waiting for my pre-order code.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
You can't select everything in-game. Different grenades replace each other, certain jump modifications replace others. From what I saw, a vertical line would only allow one choice to be selected unless there was a downward arrow. An example being the super column, where you would unlock the super itself and then have a couple options that modify it. The modifications I believe only allowed you to select one.

The final "skill" in a focus locks the choices in and provides another stat bonus. So, if you don't go for that, you can still freely change things around, presumably, but you miss out on some stats for doing so.

There's no telling how this may have changed considering the alpha build we played was "ancient", though.

What I'm wondering is about the focus you select. I didn't get enough time to really play around with it in the alpha.

So, I'm looking at this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4jVL_TVX7Y

It looks like you can select either of three different focuses on the 5th column, and these focuses changes what stat buffs you receive (Armor, recovery, agility). Do these stats continue to increase as you level up? So, if you pick one that focuses on armor and recovery, then once you continue leveling up, these levels will also continue to progress while the other dormant stat does not progress?

I was also watching a Destiny Vi-doc, and they mention that if you change your focus, it also changes your super? So does that mean the third column tree also changes?

The video also shows a 7th column that also changes your focus....which confuses me. I guess you get to select a focus from column 5 and from column 7?

Seil

What I'm wondering is about the focus you select. I didn't get enough time to really play around with it in the alpha.

So, I'm looking at this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4jVL_TVX7Y

It looks like you can select either of three different focuses on the 5th column, and these focuses changes what stat buffs you receive (Armor, recovery, agility). Do these stats continue to increase as you level up? So, if you pick one that focuses on armor and recovery, then once you continue leveling up, these levels will also continue to progress while the other dormant stat does not progress?

I was also watching a Destiny Vi-doc, and they mention that if you change your focus, it also changes your super? So does that mean the third column tree also changes?

The video also shows a 7th column that also changes your focus....which confuses me. I guess you get to select a focus from column 5 and from column 7?

For future reference, your focus is the item that determines your subclass. The skill tree in its entirety is the focus =p So, if you go for a different focus, you're changing your subclass and available skills entirely. I can see how the use of "training that focuses" or whatever could be confusing when they use that terminology, though.

But yeah, from what I've seen, in general you can only have one skill/trait/whatever active in each column, with some skill modifiers being exceptions. But if there are two columns that only contain stat shifts, you could have one active from each set.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
For future reference, your focus is the item that determines your subclass. The skill tree in its entirety is the focus =p So, if you go for a different focus, you're changing your subclass and available skills entirely. I can see how the use of "training that focuses" or whatever could be confusing when they use that terminology, though.

But yeah, from what I've seen, in general you can only have one skill/trait/whatever active in each column, with some skill modifiers being exceptions. But if there are two columns that only contain stat shifts, you could have one active from each set.

Thanks for the clarification, where do you change your subclass? Is it in that same menu screen? You have to obtain an item before you can change a subclass?

Seil

Thanks for the clarification, where do you change your subclass? Is it in that same menu screen? You have to obtain an item before you can change a subclass?

This we don't know as far as I'm aware. I know in the alpha character creation it showed "Lv 15" next to the second subclass, so perhaps you have to reach level 15 before you can get another one. It looked like a standard equipment slot, though, with an inventory pane opening when you hovered it, so perhaps you can freely switch between them?

Sadly we don't have a lot of information on this subject yet, perhaps the beta will change that, and what we do know could end up changing. Perhaps someone in the know could help clarify some stuff =p

Tekku

How does it look when you are hit by the Titans flashbang in PvP? Is it a short white screen like most other games?

Picked up a Sony Gold Wireless Headset for the Beta and Retail release.

Nice! The Gold headsets we had at the Destiny E3 booth had really cool removable faceplates with the Destiny tricorn logo. I have no idea if those will be available for sale or if they were just a small custom run, but they looked really sharp.

Getting more hyped. I was on the fence and was about to purchase a vita for remote play but I think I will hold off for awhile.

Hunter with the blade subclass will be amazing.

Nice! The Gold headsets we had at the Destiny E3 booth had really cool removable faceplates with the Destiny tricorn logo. I have no idea if those will be available for sale or if they were just a small custom run, but they looked really sharp.

All the Gold Headphones have removable faceplates.

Sadly I haven't found anywhere selling faceplates except for Amazon but they are part of a Infamous SS bundle

Maligna

Banned
Getting more hyped. I was on the fence and was about to purchase a vita for remote play but I think I will hold off for awhile.

Hunter with the blade subclass will be amazing.

Biggest mistake of your life! Get dat Vita!

Especially if you already have a PS3 and a PS4 and PS+. All those free games!

jester_

Not sure if all of you guys have done this, but here you go :)

Rad, thank you for sharing these. Got all 17 on my account. Being called "collectors cards" makes me think the unlocks may not be gear. Would be rad if it is high-level gear though.

Quick question:

The Bungie.net account you created for the Alpha was only for the Alpha, right? So I am right to go ahead and create a new account when I try to sign in?

Quick question:

The Bungie.net account you created for the Alpha was only for the Alpha, right? So I am right to go ahead and create a new account when I try to sign in?

No. That Bungie account was the same as any other Bungie one. So just sign into it. I just used my old one during the Alpha and it worked fine.

SnakeEyes

Banned
Fine! All is forgiven.
Though that settles it for me, when ever I'm in the tower I'll have to play that track.

It's funny how enjoyable something as simple as being able to sit and enjoy the view or dance with randoms made the alpha.
Damn straight! The number of screenshots I took, while just sitting down and looking out to the Traveller, over the city, and at the ever-changing skyline... Damn. BRING ON THE BETA!!

Top Bottom