• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Destiny Alpha Withdrawal Thread

Yo Dax, can I have a sneak peak at the Destiny Beta OT?
I won't show anyone one else, I promise!

Just post it here in this thread.

And I'll not tell anyone else.
no
Destiny Beta |OT| It's Hard To Kill A Creature Once It Lets You See Its Consciousness

-- Carl Sagan, Contact

"...And our small planet at this moment, here we face a critical branch point in history, what we do with our world, right now, will propagate down through the centuries and powerfully affect the destiny of our descendants, it is well within our power to destroy our civilization and perhaps our species as well. If we capitulate to superstition or greed or stupidity we could plunge our world into a time of darkness deeper than the time between the collapse of classical civilization and the Italian Renaissance."

nope

I keep coming here thinking there will be discussion and only finding meta-discussion about future discussion.

While there was actual discussion I was doing fine. Now I'm feeling the withdrawals.

I keep coming here thinking there will be discussion and only finding meta-discussion about future discussion.

While there was actual discussion I was doing fine. Now I'm feeling the withdrawals.

I'm out of things to discuss. All the info I want is out of my reach. Like what kind of buffs Warlock's Radiance actually conveys, what its duration is, how "sealing" a subclass benefits you, etc.

So we just sit here being sad. Or pestering Dax about the Beta OT. I'm not that far gone, thankfully.

Flo_Evans

Just realized today with all the clan drama and stuff I haven't even pre-ordered yet.

Gotta fix that.

Still not sure if I want the disc or digital version.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member

Bungie sent out Destiny First Look Alpha!
NeoGAF is hooked and can't stop playing!
Bungie withdrew Destiny First Look Alpha!
NeoGAF suffers from withdrawal symptoms!
It's Super Effective!​

Bizazedo

So Bungie likes their celebrities. We have a list of them all, yet?

Nathan Fillion, Gina Torres, Pete Stormare, Dinklage obviously, Lieutenant Daniels from the Wire....

I'm out of things to discuss. All the info I want is out of my reach. Like what kind of buffs Warlock's Radiance actually conveys, what its duration is, how "sealing" a subclass benefits you, etc.

So we just sit here being sad. Or pestering Dax about the Beta OT. I'm not that far gone, thankfully.

Well, hm...let me think of a topic.

Do you guys think that Destiny will have a meaty story, or will it take after MMOs that keep the story minimal unless you go looking for it?

I know Destiny isn't an MMO but it takes after one. I really don't like the way MMOs present story, it always feels like an afterthought. There are pages and pages and pages of detailed lore and yet you'd hardly notice it. I want to see good exposition, good cutscenes and a solid sense of purpose. They did a good job in Halo providing enough details in cutscenes to get me situated and invested, then using Cortana during gameplay to keep things moving.

If the story of the game is more of a side-story with a bunch of misc objectives flimsily linked together then I know I won't give a shit and the game will quickly become boring for me.

For instance, the discovered fact that
the Guardians are possibly the dead resurrected by the Traveler to protect Earth.
If that's just a fun-fact and not front and center in a cutscene at some point in the game, I'm going to be severely disappointed. That'd be like conveniently leaving out that the Master Chief is an ancient moon wizard with the power to manifest beer. That's...probably important.

Cayde-6, the Hunter's mentor

Yo Dax, I finally found a reason to like Hunter better than the other classes. All it means is I'm going to talk to the Hunter mentor often, though.

On my Warlock.

Do you guys think that Destiny will have a meaty story, or will it take after MMOs that keep the story minimal unless you go looking for it?
[snip]

Well, let's put it this way. I'm not a fan of Halo, but I respect the fuck out of its world building and lore. I trust that Bungie can create a world that I'm going to want to know inside and out.

Korben

Banned

So you're looking for a SWOTOR style story telling (in term of MMO). I guess you're gonna be disappointed then.

But do we have any official information about the "main story mission" ? Because during the alpha, we got the "tutorial mission" when we killed the Moon's Wizard. After this, it was all "side quest" mission.

Just realized today with all the clan drama and stuff I haven't even pre-ordered yet.

Gotta fix that.

Still not sure if I want the disc or digital version.

I think this is the perfect digital game, easily jump in when you get a friend notification, or decide you need to check out your gear for a minute before heading to work, etc.

I know Destiny isn't an MMO but it takes after one. I really don't like the way MMOs present story, it always feels like an afterthought. There are pages and pages and pages of detailed lore and yet you'd hardly notice it. I want to see good exposition, good cutscenes and a solid sense of purpose. They did a good job in Halo providing enough details in cutscenes to get me situated and invested, then using Cortana during gameplay to keep things moving.

If the story of the game is more of a side-story then I know I won't give a shit and the game will quickly become boring for me.

For instance, the discovered fact that
the Guardians are possibly the dead resurrected by the Traveler to protect Earth.
If that's just a fun-fact and not front and center in a cutscene at some point in the game, I'm going to be severely disappointed. That'd be like conveniently leaving out that the Master Chief is an ancient moon wizard with the power to manifest beer.

The lore is gonna be deep, that's just my feeling from reading a few of the grimoire cards and most of them were [redacted] So there is a lot of missing info. Plus, it's a "10 year plan" so they need to have something more than PVP and loot to keep people coming back.

Korben

Banned
Wait, have we heard something?

Among all the "mainstream western" MMO, SWTOR got a pretty unique story telling (this was one a the main positive element of this game). I don't see Bungie going on this road with Destiny.

But yes, nothing "official" and we can be positively surprised.

Well, let's put it this way. I'm not a fan of Halo, but I respect the fuck out of its world building and lore. I trust that Bungie can create a world that I'm going to want to know inside and out.

That is my hope. Bungie has proven that they can do the world building and lore, but the almost complete silence on it in Destiny along with the format of the game has me a bit uneasy.

I want a world with characters that I actually care about. A world in which I actually care what happens, and about what has happened in the past.
Even in Halo Reach where they demoed their idea of a silent customizable character that represents the player (as in Destiny), they managed to convince me to care about that character and for all of his team. They didn't even need much characterization to be memorable.

I want some characters that I will remember, not only a bunch of generic NPCs that I will never bother to learn the names of.

It's way too early to be talking about these things when I have no idea what the actual game will be like, but hey, not much going on in this thread anyway. It's just a concern.

The lore is gonna be deep, that's just my feeling from reading a few of the grimoire cards and most of them were [redacted] So there is a lot of missing info. Plus, it's a "10 year plan" so they need to have something more than PVP and loot to keep people coming back.

Most MMOs also have deep lore hidden away in notes and cards and other bonuses that 90% of people will never ever read. I just hope that enough of the lore is out in the open, probably in the form of cutscenes and specific characters.

Hadn't heard about the 10 year plan. You're right, they'll need to keep people invested long term. Hopefully this means my concerns are silly.

Bizazedo

Cayde-6, the Hunter's mentor

It was funny, I met Fillion at a Wizardworld Comic Con over the weekend and while getting an autograph from him I mentioned "I think I heard your voice in Destiny during the alpha."

He gave me a weird look (Wizard World runs these guys ragged, he was visibly exhausted) and I repeated it. He heard me this time, got a shit eating grin on his face, and was like "Well, that would be VERY interesting, wouldn't it?"

I dunno, made me smile.

Loomba

I'd sell my kidneys to play the Beta for 10 minutes at this point, man....

And I actually liked the single player stuff more than the crucible which hasn't happened to me in years. Nearly there...

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
So Bungie likes their celebrities. We have a list of them all, yet?

Nathan Fillion, Gina Torres, Pete Stormare, Dinklage obviously, Lieutenant Daniels from the Wire....
Bill Nighy

Or how about Destiny Beta | OT | THAT WAS BILL NIGHY, because I totally missed this post in this thread by Urk ( who works at Bungie, as I only just realized by reading through the alpha stats thread ).

New guy sounds a lot like Bill Nighy
:)

You better not be trolling me, Urk. ;-)

I'd sell my kidneys to play the Beta for 10 minutes at this point, man....

And I actually liked the single player stuff more than the crucible which hasn't happened to me in years. Nearly there...

cccchhhhhhiiiiillllllll. All in due time. Go outside and have fun! Write something!

Looking forward to Machinima's Halo vs Destiny vids
Im looking forward to the compressed Destiny graphic comparison videos on IGN between last gen and current gen and reading the comments from people on how they look identical and some who actually think the last gen versions look better.

bidaum

I too hope for a good single player story. Little off-opic, but was there one person that named stuff in the Halo universe? All the naming in Halo sounds so good; Forward Unto Dawn, Pillar of Autumn, The Covenant, etc...

RSB

Banned
I'm pretty sure we saw Mercury (not just concept art, but in-engine) in one of the videos.

If it's not in the final game I guess we'll see it in one of the expansions.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Anyone know what this might be yet?

Ojxj94Q.jpg

It'll be something cool.
...and I may have been your mentor.

Top Bottom