• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Official April 22nd Primary Thread (Democrat Apocalypse)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know if Obama is still going to be in PA on Tuesday? If he is and he's going to be holding any rallies on Tuesday night, I may go down and volunteer all day and then attend the rally by night. We'll see. I don't even know if he's going to still be in PA on Tuesday though.

Hillary Endorsed Today by Mellon-Scaife - Funder of Right Wing Nut Groups

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/opinion/archive/s_563322.html

Its now official. Today, Richard Mellon-Scaife's personal mouthpiece, the Tribune-Review, endorsed Hillary. This is Hillary's only endorsement by a commercial newspaper in Pennsylvania. Obama has been endorsed by every other commercial newspaper that has made an endorsement, including 5 of the 6 largest papers.

Scaife is a billionaire who was the main funding source of many extreme right wing groups. He also funded most of the attacks on the Clinton administration in the 1990s. Hillary met personally with him to seek his endorsement, but refused to meet with the San Francisco Chronicle's Editorial Board.

According to his divorce proceedings, Scaife has lost tens of millions on this newspaper, but he believes it gives him some political influence.

Deus Ex Machina said:

Its now official. Today, Richard Mellon-Scaife's personal mouthpiece, the Tribune-Review, endorsed Hillary. This is Hillary's only endorsement by a commercial newspaper in Pennsylvania. Obama has been endorsed by every other commercial newspaper that has made an endorsement, including 5 of the 6 largest papers.

Scaife is a billionaire who was the main funding source of many extreme right wing groups. He also funded most of the attacks on the Clinton administration in the 1990s. Hillary met personally with him to seek his endorsement, but refused to meet with the San Francisco Chronicle's Editorial Board.

According to his divorce proceedings, Scaife has lost tens of millions on this newspaper, but he believes it gives him some political influence.

Wow : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Mellon_Scaife

Scaife also helped fund the Arkansas Project, which ultimately led to the impeachment proceedings of President Bill Clinton.

What in the fuck.....

Triumph

Banned
Deus Ex Machina said:

Well, the good news is that Obama will have plenty of experience running against a Republican by November.

Triumph said:
Well, the good news is that Obama will have plenty of experience running against a Republican by November.
Ding ding ding!

Felt that about the woman for a long time now. She was a Goldwater girl, and those basic ideals never changed.

Triumph

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:
Ding ding ding!

Felt that about the woman for a long time now. She was a Goldwater girl, and those basic ideals never changed.
Yup. It's worth noting that she stopped being a republican in college not because she decided that the left was more appealing or anything... but because her republican lost to Nixon in the '68 primaries. lololololol

Triumph said:
Yup. It's worth noting that she stopped being a republican in college not because she decided that the left was more appealing or anything... but because her republican lost to Nixon in the '68 primaries. lololololol
Scaife accused Hillary of the murder of Vince Foster.

All is forgiven.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Triumph said:

So what you are saying is that there will be another Hillary Clinton born at the end of this nomination process?

At the next train stop, I'm going to stand behind Sen. Obama when he speaks. When he's decrying the trivial distractions in politics, I think he may be crossing his fingers behind his back.

As the senator's campaign train wound from one speech where he denounced tit-for-tat politics to the next speech where he denounced tit-for-tat politics, his campaign hosted a conference call to engage in the practice the candidate was busy denouncing. I suppose it would have been an even greater act of chutzpah for the Obama campaign to host the conference call while Sen. Obama was denouncing that kind of behavior, but not much more of one.

Obama campaign aides scheduled the call to talk about Hillary Clinton's fantastical story about her breakneck race to shelter under sniper fire during a visit to Bosnia. You might think this would be the last story the Obama campaign would be pushing, because in Wednesday's debate the senator mistakenly suggested his campaign had only discussed the issue because reporters had brought it up, not because they were trying to take advantage of Clinton's extended work of fiction. To push the story again now would make Obama look even more insincere about that claim.

Slate

Barack Obama’s presidential campaign has worked to assure uneasy gun owners that he believes the Constitution protects their rights and that he doesn’t want to take away their guns.

But before he became a national political figure, he sat on the board of a Chicago-based foundation that doled out at least nine grants totaling nearly $2.7 million to groups that advocated the opposite positions.

The foundation funded legal scholarship advancing the theory that the Second Amendment does not protect individual gun owners’ rights, as well as two groups that advocated handgun bans. And it paid to support a book called “Every Handgun Is Aimed at You: The Case for Banning Handguns.”

Politico

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
Deus Ex Machina said:

Suffering succotash. I saw when she met with the editorial board of his paper a few weeks ago. Didn't want to make too huge a deal of it then.

Add this to Bill's appearance on Limbaugh's show, the campaign's circulation of an American Spectator article and its designation of a liason to Drudge, and Hillary's friendliness with Rupert Murdoch.

What's next? I'm ready to read "regional Clinton campaign director Cliff Jackson" any day now.

Mandark said:
Suffering succotash. I saw when she met with the editorial board of his paper a few weeks ago. Didn't want to make too huge a deal of it then.

Add this to Bill's appearance on Limbaugh's show, the campaign's circulation of an American Spectator article and its designation of a liason to Drudge, and Hillary's friendliness with Rupert Murdoch.

What's next? I'm ready to read "regional Clinton campaign director Cliff Jackson" any day now.
She sounds more and more like the other party everyday.

Deus Ex Machina said:
She sounds more and more like the other party everyday.

I love how she has accused Obama of "Republican-like tactics" while she's guilty of that more than anyone not to mention she...WAS a Republican early in her life and is getting cozy with the Limbaugh crowd.

Odrion

Banned
XxenobladerxX said:
I dont feel like reading all that,someone give a summery.
It's uh, only a few paragraphs.

It's more "Obama said this when in the past he did that" trying to ease gun owners he won't take their weapons when in the past he was with a group that were for banning handguns and the recent speeches where he brought up Bosnia (although the whole "above the smearing" didn't seem to effect voting results.)

Odrion

Banned
Well people who vote solely to keep their guns are a bunch of dumb fucking rednecks anyways (and banning firearms in this country seems just as unlikely as it would be to ban abortion.)

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Triumph/Incognito: Would it be possible to get a heads up when Obama next visits Charlotte for a function I, as somebody without deep pockets, can attend?

Clevinger

XxenobladerxX said:
The more shootings down here in Jacksonville and all of florida I see,the more I start to think that hand gun bannings are a good idea.

I don't think it'd help all that much. The damage has been done and I'm not sure it's reversible.

Bishman

crmlu080418.gif

wasserman.gif

%7b58600cde-2ee5-4f6c-ae22-4c9688059793%7d.gif

donwright.gif

Financial Times endorse Barack Obama

6f68385c-882a-11da-a25e-0000779e2340.gif

Democrats must choose Obama

Published: April 20 2008 18:59 | Last updated: April 20 2008 18:59

Barack Obama goes into Tuesday’s Pennsylvania primary as strong favourite, whatever happens, to secure the Democratic presidential nomination. Yet the vote could still go either way.

This is a sign of how close this race has been and how deeply it has divided the party.
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/19c88b7c-0f00-11dd-9646-0000779fd2ac.html?nclick_check=1

NY Times: ***Million-Dollar Minute***Monday at 1:00***

By Katharine Q. Seelye. The Caucus. New York Times Political Blogs April 17, 2008
You’ve heard of speed dating. Now it’s time for speed fund raising.

Some fans of Senator Barack Obama have set up a new Web site with the goal of raising $1 million in one minute.
The minute starts at 1 p.m. on Monday, the day before the presidential primary in Pennsylvania, though donors can preregister through AnObamaMinute.com.

The effort was created by Scott Cohen, an independent filmmaker and photographer in New York, who had no connection with the campaign but found Mr. Obama inspirational.

If anyone doubted that the site could raise this much money this fast, think again: It got a shot in the arm today from the Service Employees International Union, which Mr. Cohen said was planning to push the million-dollar minute on its Web site and through e-mail messages to its members. A spokeswoman for the union could not be immediately reached for comment.
The union has endorsed Mr. Obama and is running television ads on his behalf in Pennsylvania.

...Mr. Cohen, 42, who lives in SoHo, said the million-dollar minute was an outgrowth of his work focusing on social problems and building small Web communities around them.....

...more at the link

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH

Haunted

Prediction:
Clinton 57
Obama 43

Hoping for a few extra percentage points. Hoping even more that what Ami says on first page (Obama wins North Carolina and Indiana = it's finally over) is true.

Rur0ni

Three polls for today are showing +6-10 for Clinton. ARG last night claimed +13 Clinton. Let's see what the media calls this Clinton victory. "Astounding, against all odds" ?

Edit: Make that 4 polls. (6,7,7,10)

Rur0ni said:
Three polls for today are showing +6-10 for Clinton. ARG last night claimed +13 Clinton. Let's see what the media calls this Clinton victory. "Astounding, against all odds" ?

Edit: Make that 4 polls. (6,7,7,10)

They're still playing the 13 point loss in a week. Which is pretty unquestionably terrible.

Rindain

Banned
Hillary won't get nearly as big a boost from the media in terms of narrative as she did after Texas and Ohio, even if she wins by 10-12%.

Why?

Because she isn't coming off 11 straight losses. That played a big role in the media's "comeback" story.

I think I've had enough of the GOP loving life as the Dems primary continues. I'm hoping for an upset in PA to finally put an end to this. Hillary's methods are disastrous for the party in the long run and that's the reason why she's gotten the embrace of so many GOP supporters. The GOP absolutely does not want to go against a strong Obama so they've been letting Hillary sip the poison wine for the last month or so while feigning support for her.

It also amuses me that the media is going after Obama when he defends himself against Hillary's attacks, saying Obama claimed that he would not resort to the same style. In the same breath they then insist that if he can't defend himself against Hillary he won't be strong enough in the GE. You can't have it both ways people!

The media's obsession with now trying to prove that they're all not in the bed with Obama is making this primary season the greatest tabloid experience. It wouldn't suprise me if they started looking through his dirty laundry next to find out if he has skid marks on his underwear.

Rindain said:
Hillary won't get nearly as big a boost from the media in terms of narrative as she did after Texas and Ohio, even if she wins by 10-12%.

Why?

Because she isn't coming off 11 straight losses. That played a big role in the media's "comeback" story.

No, she will. It's clear that the entire media is banding together to make this look like she's got one heck of a chance. It's why I've pretty much stopped following things.

tanod

when is my burrito
BenjaminBirdie said:
They're still playing the 13 point loss in a week. Which is pretty unquestionably terrible.

I like how the MSM blew up the Newsweek poll that had Obama up 19 all weekend and waited until Monday to talk about how the streams crossed in the Gallup poll.

Also, if anybody saw Meet the Press yesterday, the chief strategist for HRC got slaughtered in a debate/conversation with David Axelrod.

Financial Times Endorsement said:
Barack Obama goes into Tuesday’s Pennsylvania primary as strong favourite, whatever happens, to secure the Democratic presidential nomination. Yet the vote could still go either way.

wat?

Rindain

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
No, she will. It's clear that the entire media is banding together to make this look like she's got one heck of a chance. It's why I've pretty much stopped following things.
I guess you're right...the media doesn't follow logic (except the logic of advertiser $).

syllogism

SurveyUSA 50-44

http://www.nbc10.com/politics/15943088/detail.html

A large shift of support occurred in the Philadelphia area and other parts of Southeast Pennsylvania, which includes most of the state's African-American population. The poll found that Obama finished strongly, ahead of Clinton by 14 points within that demographic. Among liberals, Obama began 18 points behind Clinton but finished 11 points ahead of Clinton. Among those who have not graduated from college, Clinton led by 28 points last week, but by 15 points Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom