• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword announced for Wii [N-CONF]

Ushojax said:
I think they did try to appeal to the American manchild audience but not in the ways you are suggesting. The change in art style, the older link, the Ocarina fan service, an extremely long game (far too long), lack of Tingle, I think Aonuma has admitted that they had that audience in mind. Luckily it seems that since then they have basically ignored them and done whatever they want.
:lol So now the people who like OOT's style are manchildren. Get off your high horse.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
GeneralIroh said:
:lol So now the people who like OOT's style are manchildren. Get off your high horse.

Not at all, I loved OOT. Just that Aonuma paid a lot of attention to the American market and the reaction to Wind Waker and went a little too far with the 'epic' Zelda theme. Are we denying that now? They changed from Wind Waker 2 to TP for a reason, and that was a fear that the cartoon style was putting off customers in the US.

From wiki

Nintendo of America told Aonuma that North American sales of The Wind Waker were sluggish because the cartoon appearance created the impression that the game was designed for a young audience. Concerned that the sequel would have the same problem, Aonuma expressed to fellow designer Shigeru Miyamoto that he wanted to create a realistic Zelda game that would appeal to the North American market. In turn, Miyamoto was concerned about merely changing the presentation instead of coming up with new gameplay ideas. He told Aonuma that he should start by doing what could not be done in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, particularly horseback combat.[28]

In the end people just want stuff. It would be equally bad if they cater to the wind waker fan's taste by going back to the wind waker style after complaints about TP lacking "soul."
I think you guys are trying too hard to sound unique with all this tingle praise and manchild crap.
Now you know where I got my assertion that some people who complain about TP because they were butt hurt by the negative reception TWW received.
They didn't go too far with the epic theme. TP had plenty of wacky and awkward stuff like the yeti, flamboyant clowns, malo, etc.

GeneralIroh said:
In the end people just want stuff. It would be equally bad if they cater to the wind waker fan's taste by going back to the wind waker style after complaints about TP lacking "soul."
I think you guys are trying too hard to sound unique with all this tingle praise and manchild crap.
They didn't go too far with the epic theme. TP had plenty of wacky and awkward stuff like the yeti, flamboyant clowns, malo, etc.
Yep, and it was an awesome experience because of it.

I'm kind of easy to please though.

Thunder Monkey said:
Yep, and it was an awesome experience because of it.

I'm kind of easy to please though.
Hey I agree, I didn't mind the ugly npcs either. I think they bring variety and humor to the world.

GeneralIroh said:
Hey I agree, I didn't mind the ugly npcs either. I think they bring variety and humor to the world.
Don't get too chummy with me.

Tingle is my 2nd favorite new Zelda character after Midna.:lol

Malo is awesome as well.

I still love the sequence with the Zora queen's spirit.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
viciouskillersquirrel said:
The light spirits of Hyrule are also named after the Godesses:

Eldin
Faron
Lanaryu

Ordona, being the odd one out, is not actually part of Hyrule proper but a conquered province, much like the Gerudo Desert.

Holy balls. :O :O :O

RagnarokX

Ushojax said:
Not at all, I loved OOT. Just that Aonuma paid a lot of attention to the American market and the reaction to Wind Waker and went a little too far with the 'epic' Zelda theme. Are we denying that now? They changed from Wind Waker 2 to TP for a reason, and that was a fear that the cartoon style was putting off customers in the US.

From wiki
Now now. TP is still a great game. My only problems were that pacing was off in some parts (mainly the first few hours), a few dungeons felt rushed, and the difficulty was really low. Its problems were not necessarily related to the kinds of design choices you are talking about, IMO (even if I do prefer Wind Waker's presentation).

edit: heh, people really didn't notice the light spirit -> goddess name thing?

The problem is the clash of styles. The Game was built from separate elements and then joined together. And this is how it felt. At least if they had one main style for the overworld, it would help it feel more cohesive and connected.

That and Zelda shouldn't use the Wild West, because it is a Japanese game, based on Miyamoto's childhood play in Kyoto!

GeneralIroh said:
Now you know where I got my assertion that some people who complain about TP because they were butt hurt by the negative reception TWW received.

You know I really can't tell if you're serious, a parody, or a troll anymore.

And it scares me.

Twig

Banned
GeneralIroh said:
I think you guys are trying too hard to sound unique with all this tingle praise
Is it so hard to believe that someone genuinely finds him to be an amusing character?

Oh wait, of course it is. You're just that kind of person. Anything you don't like is automatically utter shit.

Protip: I liked him waaay before I played Wind Waker.

gdt

Nuclear Muffin said:
Since Zelda 3, Zelda has had castles and towns, so it fits the series better than the Wild West.

But what about the Tribal Goron settings? Or the Arabian Nights-y Gerudo setting (overlaid with spanish music)? etc etc etc

It seems silly to complain about it in TP.

upandaway

It doesn't have anything to do with the european style in particular, it has to do with having a "legends and myths" sort of attitude. Zelda can have anything fit it as long as they have this epic and long term kinda feel (I didn't really like the wild west stuff fyi).

Proof: City in the Sky has nothing to do with european elements yet a lot of people think it fits Zelda.

gdt5016 said:
But what about the Tribal Goron settings? Or the Arabian Nights-y Gerudo setting (overlaid with spanish music)? etc etc etc

It seems silly to complain about it in TP.
Actually, I've always thought of the Gerudo being a Moorish-Spain sort of setting even down to the Arbiter's Grounds being designed to look like a mosque without a dome.

KevinCow

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
That and Zelda shouldn't use the Wild West, because it is a Japanese game, based on Miyamoto's childhood play in Kyoto!

Fuck that, I want a Zelda game that goes even more wild west than TP. Give Link a pointy green cowboy hat and a revolver and a lasso and shit. I'd play the hell out of that.

Akai

upandaway said:
I kinda doubt that. We won't get anything until two-three months before release.

I could be wrong though.

We might get a trailer at Octoberton, and then there's also a possibility of a trailer at GDC. Other than that, probably not much else...

Rindain

Banned
When did Nintendo start to give out more info/media on Galaxy 2?

Also Metroid Other M has given a relatively steady stream of material since its announcement.

Boney

Banned
richisawesome said:
I'm expecting more info on Zelda and the 3DS release date at TGS, and not a day before.
I don't know if anybody has told you this. But I just can't stop imitating that cat! :lol

Everytime I see it, I stay like 5 seconds doing it! :lol

Nintendo will be at Comic-Con (NOT JUST POKEMON COMPANY). Check out their updated exhibitor's list. Nintendo hasn't gone in years to Comic-Con. Could Zelda make an appearance?

ILikeFeet

Banned
TSA said:
Nintendo will be at Comic-Con (NOT JUST POKEMON COMPANY). Check out their updated exhibitor's list. Nintendo hasn't gone in years to Comic-Con. Could Zelda make an appearance?

really? that's interesting. maybe they will show off the 3DS in public as well

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
ILikeFeet said:
really? that's interesting. maybe they will show off the 3DS in public as well
I think the 3DS is far more likely than Zelda. They need to get this in as many hands as possible to help build hype. People need to witness it themselves. Maybe they'll bomb zal droppenton and reveal 3D comics! Buy and download straight to your 3DS!

Shiggie

TSA said:
Web
Link Please.

Poyunch

I really doubt Black and White would be announced here but oh well. I don't really expect much in the way of Zelda. At most I think it will probably be the same demo being displayed.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
PounchEnvy said:
I really doubt Black and White would be announced here but oh well. I don't really expect much in the way of Zelda. At most I think it will probably be the same demo being displayed.

They were announced in May along with Reshiram and Zekrom.

JohnnyPanda

Neo Member
Legend Of Zelda: Skyward Sword producer Eiji Aonuma has told ONM that he is aiming to release The Legend Of Zelda Skyward Sword in the early part of 2011.

"The basis we have now is very, very solid," Aonuma told ONM in an exclusive interview that appears in the August issue of the magazine which goes on sale today. "Early 2011 - that is what we're aiming for."

Nintendo announced that Skyward Sword wouldn't be coming out until 2011 at E3 last month but this news hopefully means that Nintendo fans won't have to wait too long for the next adventure.

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=18747

Summer in Japan, November in the west

I wonder what zelda related swag they're giving away at SDCC? I got a Zelda SS t-shirt from the E3 booth but its too big for me.

Top Bottom