• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

J.J Abrams: "Rey's parents are not...[Possible Spoilers]"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheebo

Banned
Tha

He communicates with her with the Force at the end of ESB.

In any case, that was foreshadowing something else.
We know from the production of both ESB and ROTJ the "another" was not meant to be Leia at the time of ESB beig written and filmed.

It was not answered or foreshadowed in ESB. This was a mystery that was heavily debated for 3 long years. Very similar to the Rey parents situation.

sphagnum

Banned
I don't think George ever put as much thought into Syfo-Dias as fans who latched onto the "mystery" of it. In the original draft the character's name was Sido-Dyas and it was very obviously just a lame pseudonym being used by Sidious to place the order. He thought it was too on the nose and changed it to Sifo Dyas and left it at that.

Then everyone thought it would be a huge thing and he was caught with his pants down and had to go back and explain it in TCW (or rather canonize it since the EU had already explained it).

We know from the production of both ESB and ROTJ the "another" was not meant to be Leia at the time of ESB beig written and filmed.

It was not answered or foreshadowed in ESB. This was a mystery that was heavily debated for 3 long years. Very similar to the Rey parents situation.

"Leia, hear me"

Next shot.

"Turn the ship around".

Cheebo

Banned
"Leia, hear me"

Next shot.

"Turn the ship around".
Again, that had absolutely nothing to do with the "another" tease by Yoda. Not sure why you keep bringing it up.you are retroactively seeing it as the answer when that was never the intention. The another mystery was a mystery that was set up in ESB without an answer yet planned. There was going to be a long lost character who was this another hope who came into the scene in ROTJ early in the writing of ROTJ.

We know this from the writing of both films. It wasn't decided to be Leia till ROTJ was being written. Hell it wasn't even Leia in the first draft of ROTJ.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I don't think George ever put as much thought into Syfo-Dias as fans who latched onto the "mystery" of it. In the original draft the character's name was Sido-Dyas and it was very obviously just a lame pseudonym being used by Sidious to place the order. He thought it was too on the nose and changed it to Sifo Dyas and left it at that.

Then everyone thought it would be a huge thing and he was caught with his pants down and had to go back and explain it in TCW (or rather canonize it since the EU had already explained it).

Sido-Dyas as Sidious' cover name is so lazy it causes me physical pain just thinking about it.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
No seriously, Leia wasn't meant to be Luke's sister until shortly before ROTJ

There are deleted scenes of them flirting with each other and the fact they still had a scene where they made out shows how much they pulled that twist out of their ass

btrboyev

She's going to be Lukes. I wish they just would have made it clear in TFA. They kinda already did by making the lightsaber call to her.

Cheebo

Banned

There are deleted scenes of them flirting with each other and the fact they still had a scene where they made out shows how much they pulled that twist out of their ass
Yeah, saying that it was implied in ESB is hilarious. We know for a fact Lucas had absolutely no intention of making Leia the another hope when he wrote the story outline of ESB. That was decided multiple drafts into ROTJ when he decided he didn't want to do more films after 6 and wanted to wrap it all up in ROTJ and making it Leia ended up being the cleanest way to close up the mysteries.

It was going to be a brand new character originally.

Mendax

Luke and Leia not knowing about it and acting accordingly doesn't mean it wasn't a fact

A-V-B

Yoda alluded to there being another. It wasnt confirmed until the early moments of ROTJ. That Leia could hear Luke at end of Empire could speak more of Luke's powers than Leia and worked as a red herring.

I wonder of we'll learn about Rey's parenra during the opening moments in Ep.8.

Giant flashing white letters in Impact font

"IT'S LUKE"

*Rey scratches her head.*

Cheebo

Banned
We do know for a fact Luke and Leia were not meant to be siblings till partially through the writing of ROTJ.

We have big books from Lucasfilm about the production of all 3 original films. We know the answers for when these things were decided. It wasn't during ESB at all. As of 1980 Luke and Leia were not brother and sister. Leia was not the other hope. None of these were ideas Lucas or Kasdan ever considered till writing ROTJ.

The early story plans for ROTJ after finishing ESB has the another hope as a brand new character and Luke and Leia not being siblings.

Mendax

We do know for a fact Luke and Leia were not meant to be siblings till partially through the writing of ROTJ.

Yes but I mean that luke & leia wouldn't have known regardless of it already being decided by lucas or not. So why couldn't/wouldn't they flirt

Cheebo

Banned
Yes but I mean that luke & leia wouldn't have known regardless of it already being decided by lucas or not. So why couldn't/wouldn't they flirt
Yeah.

I just find it hilarious that people are assuming Lucas had all of this planned out. He was making it up as he went. Vader wasn't Lukes dad in early drafts of ESB either.

Yeah.

I just find it hilarious that people are assuming Lucas had all of this planned out. He was making it up as he went. Vader wasn't Lukes dad in early drafts of ESB either.

We have already established around here that Lucas is a piece of shit who never really knew what he was doing in any decade, yes.

Cheebo

Banned
Lucas did have some stuff planned out however.

We knew in 1977 that there was an Emperor, and his name was Palptine and that he was previously Senator Palptine who become Supreme Chancellor and then declared himself Emperor. Those details Lucas had from the get-go and were published in the original '76 novelization.

We have already established around here that Lucas is a piece of shit who never really knew what he was doing in any decade, yes.
Well I wouldn't say that lol. It allof course worked out pretty great for IV-VI. But there was no master plan at work.

Ushojax

Luke and Leia not knowing about it and acting accordingly doesn't mean it wasn't a fact

It was a fact though, Lucas intended for more films after ROTJ that would involve a new character being Luke's sister.

George did not intentionally write an incestuous kiss into ESB.

Cheebo

Banned
It was a fact though, Lucas intended for more films after ROTJ that would involve a new character being Luke's sister.

George did not intentionally write an incestuous kiss into ESB.
Yep, main reason we got Leia as the last hope and his sister was that very reason. Lucas decided he didn't want to do anymore after ROTJ and decided to wrap up any open questions in ROTJ. Having it be Leia was the cleanest answer to get that answered quickly and cleanly within the context of one film.

Okay so what if Rey
is created by the Force as a virgin birth like Anakin, and that the Force does this every time the balance between the dark and light is thrown out of whack?

Cheebo

Banned
It was never any sort of hidden secret he made it up as he went either. The official Lucasfilm books about the production of each film do not try and hide that. It's not a negative on Lucas. Pretty much every writer makes it up as they do. Tolkien was making it up as he went. Hobbit was never intended to tie into his Middle Earth stuff at first. All "world builder" type creators tend to make it up as they go.

kobu

I hope her parents aren't anyone we know because that shit is so lame and tired. Everyone important in this big ass galaxy can't be fucking relatives.

sphagnum

Banned
The "another" was originally Nellith Skywalker, Luke's sister mentioned by Anakin's Force ghost in the Brackett draft of ESB.

Ushojax

Okay so what if Rey
is created by the Force as a virgin birth like Anakin, and that the Force does this every time the balance between the dark and light is thrown out of whack?

They will never return to that concept ever again.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
She has an english accent in the film while Boyega did not use that accent even though he's British. Has to be Kenobi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom