• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

J.J Abrams: "Rey's parents are not...[Possible Spoilers]"

Status
Not open for further replies.
They will never return to that concept ever again.
And that's exactly why they would do it. No one would think Disney or Lucasarts would be crazy enough to use a prequel concept. The internet's thinking she's Luke's daughter or Palpatine's daughter or something, throwing everyone off the trail when in reality she's Anakin 2.0.

Also, it's another way Disney can show George how they're taking his concepts and doing them better.

shoreu

I'm calling it now she's a Shan and can use battle meditation. This would explain why she's so successful at things.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
And that's exactly why they would do it. No one would think Disney would be that crazy. Everyone's thinking she's Luke's daughter or Palpatine's daughter or something, throwing everyone off the trail when in reality she's Anakin 2.0.

They won't return to it because it's stupid as hell and everyone hated it the last time. Larry Kasdan is not going to look at the the prequels for ideas.

She has an english accent in the film while Boyega did not use that accent even though he's British. Has to be Kenobi.

That doesn't mean anything, Rey did not grow up with her parents and would not mimic their accent. She speaks with an English accent because Daisy Ridley probably can't do a very good American accent.

And that's exactly why they would do it. No one would think Disney would be that crazy. Everyone's thinking she's Luke's daughter or Palpatine's daughter or something, throwing everyone off the trail when in reality she's Anakin 2.0.

Disney wouldn't be making those kind of decisions anyway. It's up to Johnson and Lucasfilm. I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment if you think they're going to use that idea again.

ascii42

They will never return to that concept ever again.
Unless Snoke is Darth Plaguies and used to force to create her like Palpatine was talking about in Episode III.

Yeah, right. While I do kind of like the idea that Snoke is Plaguies, I'm pretty sure they aren't going to pull that.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Unless Snoke is Darth Plaguies and used to force to create her like Palpatine was talking about in Episode III.

Yeah, right. While I do kind of like the idea that Snoke is Plaguies, I'm pretty sure they aren't going to pull that.

We've already been told that Snoke is not that character.

Anyone expecting any kind of explicit connections to the prequels is going to be sorely disappointed. If Disney could retcon those films, they would.

Having anything to do with Kenobi would be terrible and convoluted.

Yes, you're the daughter of the child of Obi-Wan so let's talk about him then talk about his kid who was never mentioned during the originals. Oh and him going against the code and having a kid which is one of the reasons his student went crazy (because he had to hide it from Obi-Wan and the order). Geez Obi-Wan, seems fair you put him though that misery then willy nilly had a kid. Who also then had a kid. Mmhm.

No, too much exposition. Her being a product of Anakin or Luke's blood that the Emperor (or Snoke) could've taken makes more sense and takes less explaining.

They symbolically retcon'd them

Did they? TFA takes place 50 or so years after the PT. If they had been referenced them in the film any more than the clones line it would have likely felt out of place.

Lucasfilm continue to produce content that took place during the PT or with characters that originated from the Clone War series.

Look at Disney Infinity. The first set was based entirely on TCW. Disney are still making money off it, they're happy.

sphagnum

Banned
Did they? TFA takes place 50 or so years after the PT. If they had been referenced them in the film any more than the clones line it would have likely felt out of place.

Lucasfilm continue to produce content that took place during the PT or with characters that originated from the Clone War series.

Look at Disney Infinity. The first set was based entirely on TCW. Disney are still making money off it, they're happy.

I assumed he was referring to "This will begin to set things right."

But yes, people need to realize that Lucasfilm is in control of the canon, not Disney, which couldn't care less. And Lucasfilm is staffed by diehard Lucas appointees like Pablo Hidalgo, Dave Filoni (who is basically George's apprentice), Leeland Chee, etc. They are making sure to seed the PT into everything in the new canon. I would dare say that the new canon feels much more integrated as a whole from the PT to the ST than the EU ever did since they have the benefit of connecting things after the fact instead of haphazardly.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
That doesn't mean anything, Rey did not grow up with her parents and would not mimic their accent. She speaks with an English accent because Daisy Ridley probably can't do a very good American accent.
Sigh that was a good theory man :(

Okay you know what? I'm going to go with Leia and Solo. It is the only thing that makes any sort of sense. Should be a really simple story to tell; no midichlorians and no incest.

I am going to rage quit Star Wars if Luke is Rey's father. There wont be enough magazine racks or tables to knock over to quell my rage.

Dirca

Rey is Anakin reincarnated by the Force.

Or...

The old guy Kylo kills at the beginning is Shmii's brother and Rey's grandfather. That would still make Rey a Skywalker. That doesn't answer who her parents are, but it doesn't matter, she's still a Skywalker.

Fbh

It's JJ.
Rey's parents are going to be most fan servicy option.

She is going to be Luke's daughter or Obi-Wan's grandchild or something like that

kevin1025

Banned
I really hope that Rian Johnson just reveals the answer ten minutes into his movie during a quiet scene between Luke and Rey. Get it out of the way and then move on to the aftermath of the information.

When I think about it having it be Luke makes sense. Theres parallels between Solos and Luke. Having seen what Luke did to Kylo he probably ditched Rey to avoid having her meet the same fate. Now they can have Luke redeem Solo's kid by having his own kid do it. Its going to be such bullshit. I can feel it.

NYR94

Wait, is he suggesting that both her father and mother are in Episode VII? If so, then doesn't that rule out Luke? Because there aren't that many female roles in the movie for him to partner with. Wouldn't be his sister Leia or...whoever the other human females were. I guess that old lady scrubbing junk metal on Jakku and the doctor who treated Chewie. Or some anonymous Resistance members, but they looked pretty young.

I'm going with Han and Leia. After Ben Solo turned, Rey was left on Jakku by Han and Leia to protect her. Possibly until Luke finishes whatever he was doing when he went looking for the first Jedi temple. Lor San Tekka refers to Leia as "royalty" when he gives the map to Poe Dameron so maybe Leia left Rey on his planet so he could keep tabs on her the way Obi-Wan was around Luke on Tattooine.

A clone of Palpatine, presumably named Sheeev, used the Force to knock up a clone of Shmi (Shmii, of course). The baby was then dumped on a clone world of Tatooine, known as Tatooo- I mean Jakku.

sphagnum

Banned
I'm going with Han and Leia. After Ben Solo turned, Rey was left on Jakku by Han and Leia to protect her. Possibly until Luke finishes whatever he was doing when he went looking for the first Jedi temple. Lor San Tekka refers to Leia as "royalty" when he gives the map to Poe Dameron so maybe Leia left Rey on his planet so he could keep tabs on her the way Obi-Wan was around Luke on Tattooine.

If Han and Leia were the parents, they would have revealed that so the duel between Rey and Kylo would have had even more emotion.

kewlmyc

UPDATE: After the Q&A, EW caught up with J.J. Abrams and he clarified his comments. The director says he was only trying to point out that The Force Awakens builds up the mystery of Rey’s parents without resolving it. “What I meant was that she doesn’t discover them in Episode VII. Not that they may not already be in her world,” Abrams said.

I'll be shocked if it's not Luke.

Any other parent besides Luke or explanation besides her being some kind of Vader/Luke clone created by Palpatine/Snoke would be terrible.

Kenobi grandchild would be horrible and the is the worst fan theory. You don't understand story or the logistics you would have to overcome to make that work.

Her being a nobody would kind of stink too. Luke killing her parents, sure that would be interesting. But that means the only living Skywalker would be Ben if something were to happen to Luke. Then again, the Skywalkers keep messing up the universe with their drama...

The only problem with Luke being the dad is why would he leave Rey with Unkar Plutt and not with Lor San Tekka?

Luke is really bad at parenting. He and his wife just went shopping for a new spaceship and ditched their kid in the dealership. She was eating into their space social security checks like you wouldn't believe.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i don't really have any idea who her parents will be but i just feel they are setting this up to be this generation's "i am your father" shock moment and it feels a little cheap. i'm worried this entire trilogy is gonna mirror the original.

Savitar

Remember how JJ said that it wasn't Khan in the last Star Trek movie?

Yeah he lies, I don't fault him mind you, when you want to surprise people you can't exactly be honest.

Link1110

What if it's Owen and Beru, like they had the baby and lost the baby weight just in time for episode 4. It's an ass pull, but if it's not luke, that seems like next most likely thing

And how is kenobi possible? Did obi wan have any siblings or anything? It'd be just as much of an ass pull if they were like "obi wan was married, sorry we forgot to tell you lol"

Story structure wise, it'd be bad writing if the parents weren't someone we at least met by this point

sphagnum

Banned
Rey is a descendant of the two most powerful bloodlines in the galaxy - the Binks and the Jettsters.

The funny thing is that a Jar Jar descendant probably would be Force sensitive since his girlfriend was queen of the Bardottans, a species that is comprised entirely of Force sensitives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom