• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2016 - HL3 releasing today. Left 4 Dead 3 and Persona 5 this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hated Rage's stupid gadgets and trying to equip them on that unintuitive selection menu.

And the shooting was hampered by that crappy open world.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Rage 2 this E3 watch

Reportedly, Rage 2 was cancelled and development efforts rerouted to Doom, which wouldn't come as a surprise as Bethesda never provided any sales data whatsoever for Rage. Nothing says "That game sure failed to meet internal expectations" quite like silence.

MUnited83

For you.
I had fun. The biggest issue is the very little amount of levels. Even with the replayability, you have done everything within a few hours.

baR5zq1.png

:3

mp1990

Banned
Was Rage as hard as I remember or is time playing tricks with my mind? Recall having a really tough time with it. But then again, I was 13 years old when it was released, so maybe it was just me being really bad at games.

Jawmuncher

Reportedly, Rage 2 was cancelled and development efforts rerouted to Doom, which wouldn't come as a surprise as Bethesda never provided any sales data whatsoever for Rage. Nothing says "That game sure failed to meet internal expectations" quite like silence.

It had to of sold at least 3 million. It's close on PC and it's a Greastest Hits and Platinum Seller on consoles.

zkylon

zkylewd
there's something about how rage looks that isn't that well conveyed in like straight pictures

i don't know what it is, but it feels like all the textures have a very standarized resolution or something, idk what it is, but it's constantly breathtaking, specially for things off in the distance

i would love a sequel if they ever did one, like everyone else in the world i wasn't a fan of the car stuff but the gunfigths were some of the best ever, i loved pretty much all the weapons and other tools you had, it's awesome

Corpekata

Banned
Rage sucks. The fact that if you get close to anything the prettiness fades and it becomes incredibly ugly is like a metaphor for the game itself. Almost everything about it is half baked.

It starts off great. Oh man, open areas and driving and John Goodman as your bro! There's quests and shit! Then a few hours later and you realize the "quests" are just "go back and play this level again" for the most part, John Goodman had to go back to his home planet, the car stuff stinks and there's little to do in the game world that is any fun. And of course the way it all ends. It very much feels like they ran out of time or funding and just had to ship it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
rage_2016_04_10_06_23o9ja1.jpg

man those textures

It's a pity id made the incredibly shortsighted decision to create the game's art assets with three X360 DVDs in mind. Carmack even admitted on Twitter that an optional texture pack for the PC version would be pointless as the uncompressed textures, while free of compression artefacts, don't actually have more detail.

It had to of sold at least 3 million. It's close on PC and it's a Greastest Hits and Platinum Seller on consoles.

It's limped to that mark, though. The game is almost 4.5 years old now and there are still around 2.5 years to go until its age and the amount of time it spent in development are one and the same. I honestly would not be surprised if sales revenue has yet to exceed total development cost (the combined investments of id, EA and Bethesda).

Anteater

It's a pity id made the incredibly shortsighted decision to create the game's art assets with three X360 DVDs in mind. Carmack even admitted on Twitter that an optional texture pack for the PC version would be pointless as the uncompressed textures, while free of compression artefacts, don't actually have more detail.

man that sucks :<

who's hunnypop bunny

salsashark said it's good I believe in him

although he's banned

MUnited83

For you.
no it isn't

Yeah, it was a bit wonky at release but not terrible, and has since been patched. Even Salsa can play it decently.
The graphics settings also work fine. Only ever heard of them not working back in the beta, not on the actual release. Might be wrong though.

What keyboards are ya'll using? I'm about to buy a new one and might need some recommandations.

- Mechanical
- Wired
- No giant waste of space things
- No lights or similar nonsense

Is what's important for me.
Mechanical. Logitech G710 (Not + G710 has Cherry reds, these are blues) and it's wired. I don't use the hot keys really but it's a fine keyboard.

Gamemaker is kinda butt though at times. Depends on how people use it. I get the complaints about the game. Although I am pretty sure Gamemaker isn't locked to 30 FPS.

MRORANGE

PC Gaming Threads has been updateed, give a shout if I've missed a link:

dtOIaGc.jpg

What is this thread about?
A reference list of all relevant PC threads and communities that are active on GAF.

How do I contribute?
You can submit or update a PC thread by posting it here (avoid gaming OT's, mod threads for a particular game are okay).

===========================================================================
LIST OF THREADS
===========================================================================

PC Hardware & Overclocking
I Need a New PC! 2015
2014-2015 Gaming Laptop Thread
Race Your PC Thread 2 of Voiding Warranties
Mechanical keyboards
120/144Hz Thread of Lightboosting
Official Headphone Thread
TechSupportGAF Thread of No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small
Alienware X51 Thread
21:9 Gaming Thread | That cinematic feel
Mayflash Wii U Pro Controller Adapter review
Alienware Alpha first impressions and benchmarks
Portable PC Gaming Thread | Play Crysis on a $99 tablet
Comfy Couch PC Gaming Thread | Cheap streaming is now here
Surface Pro Gaming
Oculus Rift Launch Thread
HTC Vive Launch Thread

PC Controllers
How to use your XBO controller as a PC controller
How to use your PS4 controller as a PC controller
How to use your PS3 controller as a PC controller
How to use your Wii U Pro Padc controller as a PC controller
8Bitdo SNES30/SFC30 Bluetooth Pad
Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately
Xbox Elite Controller |OT|

Mods and Enhancements
PC Performance Threads - A big thanks to blackMamba1187
GeDoSaTo - Downsampling from Infinity and Beyond!
Dark Souls internal rendering resolution fix (DSfix)
Downsampling, a simple method for making your pc-games look better.
Downsampling for AMD Cards
iCEnhancer 3.0 for GTA4
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Mod Discussion and News
Crysis mods/tweaks to make the game look maximum eyecandy
Fallout 3 and New Vegas Mod Discussion
TESIV: Oblivion Mod Guide
FXAA to all DX9 games
The Silent Hill 2, 3 & 4 PC thread - A guide to a better HD Collection
Source Mod Megathread
DOOM Franchise Community Thread
Deadly Premonition PC Fix
Vampire: The Masquerade Mods
Running PC games at 30Hz
Watch Dogs original graphical effects
Triple buffering: "Why we love it"
The Witcher 2: Extreme Quality Flora Mod
Crysis 2 - PC modding and tweaking
Deus Ex New Vision Graphical Overhaul
A3D (Aureal) wrapper
OpenRA C&C remaster project
The Thief Collection: Tweaks
Final Fantasy XIII resolution unlocking (GeDoSaTo plugin) released - pre-alpha
MGS Ground Zeroes editing tools released
Deus Ex Revision
DOA5:LR PC Modding Thread
GTA V modding thread
The Witcher 3 Modding
ReShade OT
Valkyria Chronicles "Gallian Crossfire" PC rebalance mod
Sayonara 544p (Sayonara Umihara Kawase resolution unlock)
Portrait Gaming: Bringing Your Games to New Heights
Fallout 4 Modding Thread
Tales of Zestiria 60 FPS Mod

Software & Tools
Let's Talk About Recording / Streaming Software
Pro Tips for PC Gaming (like a Pro)
Most useful PC applications
Mumble - Making Ventrilo and TeamSpeak Obsolete
Open Broadcaster Software: Stream Games Live on PC
LIMELIGHT | Stream PC games
Windows 10 Troubleshooting Thread
PS4 PC/Mac Remote Play client available now

Emulation
Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games
PS2 Emulation with PCSX2 - share your game configs!
PPSSPP Emulation and Discussion Thread
RETROARCH - The all-in-one emulator
Nintendo DS Games in HD
RPCS3 Is A New PS3 Emulator, Still In Early Stage, Boots Commercial Game
Supermodel (Sega Model 3 Arcade Emulator)
3DS Emulator Citra Boots First Commercial Game
EmulationStation | A pretty UI for launching your games
Xenia | Xbox 360 Emulator, News & Updates
64DD emulation coming soon

Gaming Communities & Recommendations
Indie Games 2015
Introduction to MOBAs
PC Racing Sim Thread
Point n Click Adventure GAF 2015
Life of MMo gamers
Recommended GOG Games
"I'm new to PC games, what should I get..."
PC Shoot'em Ups / Shmups / STGs Release Archive

Screenshots and User Content
2015 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread
The NeoGAF Screenshotter's Compendium Thread
2013 PC Bullshot thread
2014 Game GIF Thread
Show off that gaming PC
Show us the inside of your PC
2014 Screenshot Art Thread of Artificial Concept Art
PC Low Settings Screenshot Thread
Emulator Screenshot Thread

Steam
Steam Thread
STEAM News Thread - Read rules before posting
Steam Trading | Games/Cards/Keys/Money/Items
GAF Steam ID List
Steam Greenlight
Custom Steam icons for Grid View
Idle Master Thread - Get your Steam Trading Cards the Easy Way
Neogaf Games Night |OT| We actually play games
Enhanced Steam Discussion Thread - Ideas, Suggestions, and Feedback
SteamOS
Steam Family Sharing Thread
GAF Steamgifts Group Invite Thread
Steam In-home Streaming Beta
Steam Universe (beta) videos, impressions
SteamSpy - Approximate LTD sales for every game on Steam
Steam In-Home Streaming and Steam Link thread

Other Digital Download Services
GOG Thread
Green Man Gaming Thread
Origin Thread
Ubisoft Uplay Thread
GFWL Thread

Development Scene
Oculus Rift - Dev Kit Discussion
Oculus Rift Development Kit 2
Indie Game Development Discussion Thread
GAF Learns - Unity [Game Engine]
Unreal Engine 4 Thread
Unreal Tournament 4 Pre-Alpha builds -> You can play and test it for free.
Resident Evil 4 HD Project - Progress Thread
Fan made Shenmue HD project
Let's build a Sega Dreamcast game from scratch - Breakout
RPG Maker Community Thread |OT|
Super Mario ReMaker

Misc*
Giving Away Steam Keys with ModBot
Official DD (Steam/D2D/etc) gifting thread of equal global distribution
Kickstarter Thread - 2015
Indie Bundle Thread
The Comprehensive PC Games Sales Figures Thread.
Playfire Rewards Discussion
Frame Latency - Why you should stop talking about FPS
Nvidia Shield Thread
NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet
Old computer games you're pretty sure no one but you ever played
RPG Maker Game Competition
10 years later - Resident Evil Outbreak 1 & 2 are back online!
PC gamers: What is the most comfortable desk chair ever?
Steam 1998 to 2015 Million Seller
Raspberry Pi Retro Gaming thread
Past 10 Years of Intel Processors Compared
State of the GPU industry market summed up in one video
Plasma, LCD, OLED, LED, best tv for next gen

Played wolf09 but not singularity i check that out. Any other :D

Singularity is derivative of Bioshock and a couple of other games, and you can tell they ran out of time while making it, but it's an above average game and a good way to spend a weekend. There was also an interesting postmortem on the game which came out a few years ago discussing it's issues. I really wish this was more common in the industry. It could give some insight to both consumers and other developers on how things go and what mistakes to avoid.

i kind of wanna buy quake 4, I remember playing that game back then and enjoyed it, but only got half way through it

I remember getting Quake 4 and FEAR on the same day back in 2005 odd. I played through FEAR first and of course I was blown away by the combat, the seemingly amazing AI and just how fucking cool the slow motion shotgun felt. In comparison Quake 4 seemed like a tame affair but I will give it some credit for being one of the rare single player games where you mostly play with a squad that isn't utterly useless. Also had to turn down settings to deal with the heavy idtech 4 engine back in the day. I wonder if it looks decent now.

whats with the Rage stuff lately? Rage was neat, the hate it got back then was another one in the "whats going on right now?" I dont understand the internet column, it was completely fine.

Rage was a mix of good and bad. The outdoor visuals were spectacular for it's time but the indoor graphics were horrible. I do remember the artwork getting progressively interesting as you got towards the end of the game though. The gunplay was absolutely amazing but the mission design was really poor. You'd take a main mission, complete it, return to your hub and have an optional side mission waiting for you that would send you right back to the level you had literally just cleared. And then there was that one level where they made you play it forwards and backwards. Plus it had a whole bunch of technical issues and of course the game has no ending at all. It just cuts off in the middle of the level. I enjoyed it at the time but you don't have to look hard to see why people criticized it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Yeah. I think he's wrong about that though. I think they just weren't going for the mood he was expecting.

The 30 FPS limit and the map not being great are legit issues, although IMO fairly easy to overlook.

Its also quite short (for the genre), it needed like...I dunno, zelda style dark version of the world. I still liked it tho, but I feel it should be a $15 game. On sale for like 50% its a must imo

i enjoyed rust for about 5 hours or so but then i got pretty bored, story was also trashy so that wasn't doing it any favors into convincing me to finish it

i enjoyed rust for about 5 hours or so but then i got pretty bored, story was also trashy so that wasn't doing it any favors into convincing me to finish it

Wait. Rust actually has a story?
I would like a Dark Souls game with Wind Waker's art style. Or maybe just have From make the next Zelda.

There's an indie game from a GAFfer (I think) that is basically this. Can't remember the name, though. I think it started with an M.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom