• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vampire Diaries S6/Originals S2 |OT| Have no fears we've got dopplegangers for years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joni

Can someone explain to me how Elena was even communicating with everyone while in her deep sleep? Maybe that was explained and I just missed it? She's a human and she's linking minds with other humans such as Matt? Also: couldn't the characters just theoretically check in with her every once in a while by linking minds then?
The vampires have the power to do that. Stefan learned it to Caroline when her mother died and he did it to Damon a couple of episodes ago. Humans can't do it, but they got help. They show that by Caroline helping Bonnie enter Elena's mind.

It's cool that you enjoyed it, but wow. I...just can't believe anyone could describe anything in this show as "fucking glorious".
This is one of the best ways ever a show has written out a main character and killed a villain.

Sheroking

It's cool that you enjoyed it, but wow. I...just can't believe anyone could describe anything in this show as "fucking glorious". In my opinion (and other people I know who watch), the show has lost its quality in a huge way these last two years. At one time it was really quite good, now it's quite poor. Melodramatic, tons of rehashed storylines, diminished pacing, shoddy writing, etc. Just not in the same league as the top shows. I felt the finale was OK.

The last two years I'd argue are superior to the one immediately preceded them. It's pretty clearly not Season 1 or Season 2 level stuff (and even that doesn't compare to the "top shows", nor should it have been expected to).

I liked the finale for what it was. "Fucking glorious" on the shows own curve, perhaps.

Joni

Stefan should do this to seduce Caroline:

7ZZx7nT.gif

GamerSoul

Still pissed Jo died, but im happy Kai got the business. That was probably the only way to wipe that smug look off his face lol. And i think they handled Elena's departure really well. Wasn't expecting it.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Still pissed Jo died, but im happy Kai got the business. That was probably the only way to wipe that smug look off his face lol. And i think they handled Elena's departure really well. Wasn't expecting it.

Personally I'm glad they killed her off (and the whole stupid Gemini group). She was a horrible actress and did nothing but brought the show down in every scene she was in.

Aceun

Good riddance Gemini Coven.

Not really sure what the ending was trying to hint at with Cop Donovan and Brooding Damon.

Joni

Good riddance Gemini Coven.

Not really sure what the ending was trying to hint at with Cop Donovan and Brooding Damon.
That Damon is the one that went wild without Elena. What happened most likely: Damon is just back and looking at what his mother did.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Can we all assume the last episode of VD will be (an already filmed) shot of Elena waking up sometime in the future and daemon there greeting her.

Joni

I don't know if it should already be shot. If Ian Somerhalder also leaves the show, you need Stefan to come in and first give him blood.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I don't know if it should already be shot. If Ian Somerhalder also leaves the show, you need Stefan to come in and first give him blood.

Why's that? Even if he leaves I have to imagine they would have already filmed that final scene and just use it as a Harry Potter esc epilogue.

Joni

Why's that? Even if he leaves I have to imagine they would have already filmed that final scene and just use it as a Harry Potter esc epilogue.
You have to reach that epilogue on a natural way. If you lock up Harry Potter at the end of the Voldemort fight and then jump to ten years later without explaining how he got out of jail, you're in a bit of trouble. Waiting on filming that final bit gives them more freedom on how they approach it.

flyover

Can we all assume the last episode of VD will be (an already filmed) shot of Elena waking up sometime in the future and daemon there greeting her.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did film something like that (even if it's only a reaction shot of Elena waking up or something), just in case. If they can, they'll shoot something else, later. But you've got to use the actors while you've got them, on the off chance that you won't get them again.

Something like that worked out well for Babylon 5, which shot its entire finale a season before it aired.

The vampires have the power to do that. Stefan learned it to Caroline when her mother died and he did it to Damon a couple of episodes ago. Humans can't do it, but they got help. They show that by Caroline helping Bonnie enter Elena's mind.

This is one of the best ways ever a show has written out a main character and killed a villain.

That's cool. Totally entitled to your opinion. I don't agree at all though. I think the concept was decent but the execution wasn't great. The way the main character is leaving the show is literally introduced in her last episode, in a very anticlimactic way. She's just suddenly asleep. Oh yeah, she was linked to her best friend via a spell...k, bye Elena. Queue farewell sequences. No worries, they can just enter her mind to say goodbye. Everything else is always reversible in this show...even death. But nope...this one can't be undone. Gotta wait until Bonnie dies. OK then. And the villain dying was kinda cool with the head being chopped off. But nothing amazing. Far better villain deaths in shows like Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Justified, Dexter, etc. etc.

Joni

That's cool. Totally entitled to your opinion. I don't agree at all though. I think the concept was decent but the execution wasn't great. The way the main character is leaving the show is literally introduced in her last episode, in a very anticlimactic way. She's just suddenly asleep. Oh yeah, she was linked to her best friend via a spell...k, bye Elena. Queue farewell sequences. No worries, they can just enter her mind to say goodbye. Everything else is always reversible in this show...even death. But nope...this one can't be undone. Gotta wait until Bonnie dies. OK then. And the villain dying was kinda cool with the head being chopped off. But nothing amazing. Far better villain deaths in shows like Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Justified, Dexter, etc. etc.

Kai thinks he has won, he sees Damon leave Bonnie dying and he descends into his villain monologue. He then just gets blindsided by a vampire that is +170 years older than him. Damon is a way older vampire always amped up on human blood. He took out hybrids easily, one vampire not paying attention is easy.

Kai thinks he has won, he sees Damon leave Bonnie dying and he descends into his villain monologue. He then just gets blindsided by a vampire that is +170 years older than him. Damon is a way older vampire always amped up on human blood. He took out hybrids easily, one vampire not paying attention is easy.

I don't understand what this has to do with anything I said? I never disputed Damon would be able to kill Kai. I said I didn't find Kai's death particularly interesting. It was the way Elena was written out that I found especially poorly executed. And I mentioned I think it's odd that practically everything in this show can be undone (including death) and then all of a sudden this spell that knocks Elena out from the show can't be undone. That's the problem with making basically everything reversible. Then when something suddenly isn't it lacks impact...and believability. And just feels random. She's just suddenly asleep. 'Cuz a spell was cast offscreen. How anticlimactic.

Joni

Only the show has been going through lengths to make death more permanent, the rings are gone, the other side is gone. It has the same time built up the idea what powerful magic users can do. And there are simple no magic users in Mystic Falls powerful enough to actually undo this.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Just watched it, it's going to be weird without her. Kai was an awesome character/actor IMO but I really like how they killed him off, it was like a WILL SOMEONE SHUT HIM UP moment and then pow. Daemon is still the GOAT, if he left the show it would be dead to me.

kirblar

If they really want to get into fans' good graces next season and prove they're serious about getting back to S1 pacing? Kill Enzo 6 episodes in.

There's only 5 untouchable characters on the show left anyway. (And only Matt is human, and he should totally be the final endgame boss.)

Sounds pretty much like the season 10 premiere of Dallas.

Pamela waking up in her bed to see Bobby still alive and taking a shower...

Only the show has been going through lengths to make death more permanent, the rings are gone, the other side is gone. It has the same time built up the idea what powerful magic users can do. And there are simple no magic users in Mystic Falls powerful enough to actually undo this.

Too little, too late. They've brought WAY too many people back and undone virtually everything at one point or another. Changing that for the first time this season doesn't remedy the problem. Anyways, we're clearly going to agree to disagree on this one. I thought Elena's exit was poorly executed and incredibly anticlimactic. Though, most things about this show are very mediocre these last couple years.

If they really want to get into fans' good graces next season and prove they're serious about getting back to S1 pacing? Kill Enzo 6 episodes in.

There's only 5 untouchable characters on the show left anyway. (And only Matt is human, and he should totally be the final endgame boss.)
The issue isn't is really pacing, but they lack creativity and stories to tell.

Aceun

They've come to the dragonball z problem of trying to top the previous threat while making our heroes more and more powerful

Aceun

Now they are, but there was a point when they had a hybrid, Bennett witch, original vampire Hunter and all manner of Macguffins at their disposal.

Joni

Question: What can we expect from The Vampire Diaries in Season 7? Give me anything! I’m desperate… — James
Ausiello:
You can expect a lot more of Mama Salvatore and her band of renegade heretics, and even more surprisingly, you can expect some meaty material for Michael Malarkey’s forgotten character. According to executive producer Caroline Dries, Enzo will find himself caught in the middle of the ensuing war between Mama Salvatore and her sons. “He’s eventually going to have to choose a side,” Dries teases. “In some ways, he feels drawn to Lily; she turned him and she’s the only real family he has. But he’s also friends with Damon, so it’s going to create an interesting dilemma, and whichever side he chooses will have serious ramifications.”

Can you give a clue to what this new mythology will be next season on The Originals? —Klaus
Ausiello:
Well, Klaus — if that is your real name — it sounds like the Mikaelson’s biggest mythology-related threat in Season 3 is going to be none other than Ms. Davina Claire, the newly appointed regent of the witches of New Orleans. “The spirits are going to have access to Davina,” executive producer Michael Narducci says. “They’re going to lend her their power and communicate with her about what’s best for the people and witches of New Orleans. That’s who she’ll be an advocate for, and the Mikaelsons, some would argue, are not the best things in the world for the witches. That’s going to put them at odds, assuming there’s no larger threat coming for which they might have to unite against. There are a lot of different ways this could play out.”
http://tvline.com/2015/05/19/greys-anatomy-season-12-spoilers-arizona-callie-new-loves/

rrc1594

Noooo Enzo is going to be a focus next season.

TBH I'm over Davina every plan she has, she falls flat on her face.

Pachimari

I weren't impressed by the finale. In fact, I hate that they connected Bonnie to Elena, which probably means Bonnie will have plot armor. But it will be sad the day Elena awakes, with no Bonnie, Matt, Alaric, Tyler or Jeremy around. Just the three of Caroline, Damon and Stefan. :(

I generally think Season 6 were better than 4 and 5, but it is still pretty weak, at the point were I got bored and weren't interested in the show anymore, and thus I only caught up and finished it yesterday. I'm still in for both shows, and I hope they'll revamp (see what I did there) the show, but Enzo
being in the middle of it all, doesn't bode well in my opinion. I like that the heretics are gonna be a main plotline though.

[edit] Actually, I'm not even really sure if this season were better than 4 and 5. I mean, they did rehash some things like the cure, and I weren't as invested as I have been before.

Personally I'm glad they killed her off (and the whole stupid Gemini group). She was a horrible actress and did nothing but brought the show down in every scene she was in.

Yeah this. Best thing of the finale was killing off Jo.

I disagree. Danielle Campbell is someone you build a show around. And the Mikaelson family double crossing has gone in so many circles that it's lost all impact.

I love Danielle Campbell, so I'm all for them making her big next season, as long as they can execute it well.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Well that are some forced group shots lol.....they need to chill a bit.

Also anyone have a YT link for the ComicCon Originals video ?

Edit:

Okay they added pictures are way better.... heh.

Kevin

How was season 6 of the Vampire Diaries compared to the previous seasons? Any good? How about season 2 of the Originals? Was thinking about buying the Blu-Ray sets.

rrc1594

How was season 6 of the Vampire Diaries compared to the previous seasons? Any good? How about season 2 of the Originals? Was thinking about buying the Blu-Ray sets.

Season 6 of VD was meh to me seems like they are running out of ideas. The Originals was great loved season 2

Kevin

I loved seasons 1-3. 4 is when the show started going down hill. Seasons 4 and 5 were just alright to me. How is season 7 shaping up so far in terms to how it sounds?

Joni

Season 6 had an amazing villain. Writing could have been better but I enjoyed it. Season 7 seems like a bit of a reset. A lot of new people and a store with potential.

Joni

Her absence will be a bigger problem than hiding her baby bump. I suspect them fake killing her and her turning up alive in the finale.

Joni

Took my wife to a nice Italian restaurant here in ATL for a date tonight. Saw Ian Somerhalder walking by with his wife on our way in. Did a double take as my wife looked at me very bewildered (because we are probably the biggest VD fans on GAF--but a season behind, so no spoilers please!). I turned to him as he was walking by and was like, "Hi, sorry--aren't you...?" He smiled back and said "Sometimes," then "have a good night, guys!" and kept walking. He was very cool and pleasant about the whole thing. I've met some celebs before with varying degrees of pleasantness, and I thought he handled my mild starstruckness pretty well, and I was glad I didn't come off as rude or obnoxious (I think!).

Posted on behalf of maxcriden, who hasn't seen the latest episodes so who wanted an intermediary to post here. So also sorry for the triple post. :)

Pachimari

Yeah, I really liked that post in the other thread. I would have started crying if I saw Ian Sommerhalder. Great story.

Less than a month till the new seasons. Getting exciting.

Pachimari

I wonder how many here on GAF will keep watching The Vampire Diaries.
As it was the first show I really followed, I promised myself to watch it till the very end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom