• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Vampire Diaries S4 |OT| of not being anything like Twilight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pachimari

I wonder what will happen to Stefan in S5. I for one hope he'll die. Not because I don't like him but because it feels like there's no real consequence to dying in this show. It's like it's not emotional or anything anymore - just excitement.

I also guess Alaric ain't coming back to TVD with his show flopping. :(

Though I have to say I'm equally excited about The Originals. Giving Klaus a baby is great and that Hayley is in it seals the deal. I have also grown to like Rebekah this season. Really love the atmosphere, set-up and such in The Originals.

Koomaster

Your post also made me realize that we never did see Ketsya.
Or did we? Maybe Bonnie's grandmother was her doppleganger? Now Ketsya is going to give Bonnie uber-witch training on the other side. :p

Would maybe explain Bonnie's broken powers, to be of the same bloodline as Ketsya.

Wiktor

Great ending. Silas looking like Stefan will be all kinds of fun next season.

Also..dat Klaus decapitating people with a hat..a DAMN HAT! Awesome.

Wiktor

Good finale. Not sure how I feel about the ending but it could be interesting.

Will post more after I've digested this a bit. Would have much rather had Alaric back than Jeremy that's for sure!

Alaric is too powerful though. I wouldn't be surprised if he would be capable of going toe to toe with Silas.

Also..since they are on Klaus' good side now, the Mystic Falls crew should ask him to leave them couple vials with his blood.

jwk94

Or did we? Maybe Bonnie's grandmother was her doppleganger? Now Ketsya is going to give Bonnie uber-witch training on the other side. :p

Would maybe explain Bonnie's broken powers, to be of the same bloodline as Ketsya.
No! Don't give them any ideas. That girl has FAR too much power already. You can break her even more. Something confused me though. Weren't we told that Ketsya gave Silas his immortality? And then Silas tells us that he did it himself. If that's true, then who is Ketsya really?

Great ending. Silas looking like Stefan will be all kinds of fun next season.

Also..dat Klaus decapitating people with a hat..a DAMN HAT! Awesome.
Man, when Klaus held the other hat I was sitting there like o_O "did he just throw a graduation hat?!" he can't get any better.

I don't get this Ketsya business. It seems like everything she did was done because she couldn't get what she wanted.

Why is there so much insistence on the veil remaining intact? The entire thing was her creation and is not natural. If supernatural beings died without the veil being present then there would be no way for them to return and pollute the natural order of things, so why keep it?

Besides, she'll still be in S5. =/

759.gif

Tokubetsu

So glad to see Matt sorta winning for once. He lays down the law with Rebekah but still gets to see the world and tap dat ass. Win-Win. Jeremy should have stayed dead though.

Joni

I think one of the showrunners really really hated Naevia in Spartacus. They managed to kill her twice already, and that for a character that appeared in two scenes. When the veil drops again (because how else would they kill Silas, they need witches like Bonnie) they can let Silas kill her a third time.

So glad to see Matt sorta winning for once. He lays down the law with Rebekah but still gets to see the world and tap dat ass. Win-Win. Jeremy should have stayed dead though.
Yeah, that guy deserves a break.

kirblar

We discovered the problem with the veil drop though- the people are essentially walking zombies, rather than "oh, ok, we just need to kill them again."

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
We discovered the problem with the veil drop though- the people are essentially walking zombies, rather than "oh, ok, we just need to kill them again."

Might that have been because the veil wasnt entirely dropped? Because Silas needed the veil dropped in order for him to go to heaven (or w/e)

Geido

So Rebekah is in the originals right? What happens with Matt and Rebekah? I kinda like that matchup.

Really nice finale btw, it keeps on being a great show to watch.

Pachimari

I really don't like them bringing back Jeremy ugh. Anyway, the writers had long discussions about bringing him back or not. They said bringing him back was the only feasible way of getting Elena back to "normal". It's like a restart for her and the viewers can have fun watching.

Tokubetsu

So Rebekah is in the originals right? What happens with Matt and Rebekah? I kinda like that matchup.

Really nice finale btw, it keeps on being a great show to watch.

Yeah, I would be cool of Rebekah x Matt ends up one of the few couples that "works."

Oh i forget to say FUCK YES at Delana making it threw into next season for a while .
Also going to be interesting to see what going to happen to Katherine .

TheDanger

Banned
The finale was fucking perfect, the twists were one of the best I ever saw and everything was solved better than I expected. Unpopular opinion: I'm so glad that Jeremy is back, I never wanted Elena to lose every family member, especially now that Bonnie is dead too. She deserves some kind of a family. I'm sad about Bonnie though, she pulled a lot of shitty moves and was a bitch sometimes, but she always redeemed herself. Still, better her than Jeremy.

Matt and Rebekah make a great couple, I just wonder how this trip will work when she's a regular in The Originals.

I'm also glad that Elena chose Damon and that Katherine is human now. Nina Dobrev sure does have a lot of acting challenges, so far she is really impressive. Some of the best acting in tv shows I think.

Klaus' entrance was amazing as well, dat decapitation. I'm glad for Caroline too and I don't mind Tyler being back.

I rate this episode 11/10.

Geido

Caroline and Tyler are the most boring couple in TVD for me. Even worse than Elena and Stephan. I would root for Caroline/Klaus. Klaus' line in the finale was perfect. "I want to be your last love..." great line. I hope Caroline will sometimes show up in the originals and vice versa.

I'm glad more people see Rebekah and Matt as an interesting and good couple. But I really don't know how it will work if Rebekah's really in the originals.

Also, Damon and Elena will be pretty cool. I rooted for them this season and really felt Damon's pain when the sire bond was supposed to be the cause of her feelings. This feels like a victory. Keep Stephan at the bottom of the quarry! I don't care.

And Jeremy for Bonnie is a really bad trade. She was a great character!

Caroline and Tyler are the most boring couple in TVD for me. Even worse than Elena and Stephan. I would root for Caroline/Klaus. Klaus' line in the finale was perfect. "I want to be your last love..." great line. I hope Caroline will sometimes show up in the originals and vice versa.

Tyler and Caroline make sense together to a point. The bonding over going through transformations alone, etc. But, as Klaus pointed out, Tyler is a small town boy.

It wasn't just Klaus's "I want to be your last love" line that was great. It was his gift to Caroline. The moment he did that for her, he won. It is only a matter of time now.

Pachimari

Okay, just read some interviews with Julie Plec and Season 5 is gonna be really interesting. Probably more so than this season - excited!

sruckus

I'm one of the few here, but thank you show for bringing Steven R. mcqueen...erm Jeremy...back. So hot.

Of course that kid gets screwed so many times on this show it's beyond comical.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
You’ve told us that the person you thought would end up with the cure when you begin filming the season wasn’t the one who ultimately got it. Who was originally supposed to receive it?
JULIE PLEC: We changed our mind right about when the show started airing. Our original plan was Damon, because we thought that really made the most sense — the person who would probably least like to be human, and yet also missed it the most admittedly. To see Damon in a human life as Elena remained in a vampire life, we got excited about that opportunity. Then, the more we thought about it, the more that people were taking their random guesses at who would get it, it seemed like it was everybody’s first instinct as well. [Laughs] And so we thought we needed a new instinct.

So they decided they wanted shock and awe instead of being predictable but telling a good story. Katherine as a human is good but Damon as a human is even better plot wise.

Snake

Good News: Bonnie is dead! They never gave her good storylines and it weighed down the show.
Bad News: Bonnie is dead. She was the hottest person on the show. Sad she won't be on screen anymore.
Neutral News: Knowing VD she'll still be around for 95% of next season, so the above two points are moot.

Bad News: Jeremy is back.
Good news: Jeremy is back! Is there anyone who is more fun to hate on than Jeremy? I swear, every goddamn scene of his gives me and my SO endless opportunities to mock and berate him.

So they decided they wanted shock and awe instead of being predictable but telling a good story. Katherine as a human is good but Damon as a human is even better plot wise.

As they said Damon as human would have been boring after a short while.
Part of the fun of Damon is him being a vampire , then there is also the fact he then becomes useless in helping out .
It would also make the exchanges between brothers boring IMO.
Katherine got much more to play with when you look at here character .

Bladenic

Why does this show SHIT so hard though? On S2 episode 6 now, it's almost IMPOSSIBLY good at this point. Who would have thought that The CW would have the FASTEST paced dramas on TV (this and Arrow)?

I love Katherine and Caroline. Also is it me or is Bonnie kind of useless? All she does is be wittchy, she has like no stories or boyfriends (I loled at the guy who showed her attention dying 10 minutes later). Most of her discovering her power in S1 was done off screen too. Then Grams dies and Bonnie is absent for like 5 episodes afterward haha.

TripOpt55

So I've thought about it some more. I just don't think I care much for the idea of a Stefan doppleganger (or whatever). On the one hand real Stefan being out of the picture for a bit and this guy likely being like asshole Stefan means we won't have whiny "Why didn't she choose me" Stefan which will help avoid the pitfalls of the triangular garbage that weighed down early Season 4. But I just don't think I like them going back to the doppleganger well. I'll wait and see what they do with it. Maybe it will just be awesome.

Taking a wait and see approach with Katherine being a human too, but their may be some fruit to bear there I guess. I hate that they basically said in an interview someone posted that they chose that for the shock value. Ugh. But it may be good anyway, so we'll see but that was a silly answer to that question.

I do love Matt and Rebekah going off together even if it is just for one wild summer or something. Matt deserved a win and this relationship had felt earned by the end of the finale. Enough for what they are planning.

Klaus entrance this episode was amazing. And while I like Klaus, I always find it hard to root for relationships with such terrible people (or whatever they should be called). Like I love him as a villain, but rooting for his relationship happiness is a little tougher. But I did really like him letting Tyler come back and saying he hoped to be her last love. It was a good line and made me kind of want them together a bit more at some point.

Alaric being back was awesome. Him and Damon together was great and seeing just a few more scenes of them was really cool. I'm not sure there is much value in bringing Jeremy back even though I did actually enjoy him this season when he was alive.

Also Season 2 (and early 3 I suppose) are clearly the show at its best. I'd definitely rank 2 first then 3. After that I'm not sure. I'd have to rewatch 1. I remember the beginning being pretty lame, but it finished really strong. I don't recall being as frustrated as I was at times in Season 4, but I imagine that is due to having higher expectations.

EulaCapra

Jeremy coming back is eh. Take it or leave it. Glad Bonnie will still be a regular. Even though she's a party pooper, SOMEBODY HAS TO BE in a show where Damon and Klaus kill so many people and the girls they attract are all like "You're evil! Kiss me you fool!"

Even though I loathe Klaus still being alive, I'll miss sister Rebekah if she truly is heading off to New Orleans and possibly dooming Matt's story already.

Really shocked about Katherine though. Thought for sure Stefan would get it since that could squeeze in more story with Elena over a cured Damon like the writer's original plans.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I'd rank it S3 >>> S2 =/> S4 >>> S1

My reasons for ranking S4 about the same as S2 to me was that for me, the first half of S2 wasn't as strong as its second half. It was primarily the setup for S3, which for me was absolute bliss.

S4 feels like it's the same as S2 was for what is sure to be an INSANE S5. The difference with the two is that S2 was a natural progression that kept getting bigger and bigger as you advanced whereas S4, with a bunch of setpieces already in place, was much more scattered in its method of setting up things. However, I felt that S4 had a lot of twists and turns that were incredible and while at times it did drag for sake of character development (it did have a big character piece to tackle: Elena), it came together really well thematically in the end.

As they said Damon as human would have been boring after a short while.
Part of the fun of Damon is him being a vampire , then there is also the fact he then becomes useless in helping out .
It would also make the exchanges between brothers boring IMO.
Katherine got much more to play with when you look at here character .

But they never precluded the possibility that after taking the cure you could simply get turned back into a vampire again, which is one of those logical mechanics questions in my brain. What's stopping Katherine from just getting turned again? Or Damn had they gone that route?

The finale felt rushed to me in a lot of parts. There were really fast cuts and scenes ended in ways that made me just go "wait, what happened there? oh, I guess Klaus gave his blood to Damon and he's fine now." They tried to pack a little bit too much in and the editing suffered for it.

TrutaS

Guys I read a little bit backwards but couldn't find the answer to this. Why doesn't Katherine ask some vampire to turn her again?

edit:Seems I forgot to read the very last post :S Really now isn't this some plot-hole? They could have turned Damon to human and back to vampire. Maybe they just say it makes people immune or something...

tirminyl

Would you risk a vampire turning you and it not working?

I don't think there has been a precedence of it not working. I would be more worried of trusting that the vampire would turn me and not simply kill me. It's Katherine though so I wouldn't be surprised if she got ahold of vampire blood, took it, and baited a vampire to kill her. It's also Vampire Diaries, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a "surprise, the cure won't let you ever become a vampire again" clause for season 5.

kirblar

I don't think there has been a precedence of it not working. I would be more worried of trusting that the vampire would turn me and not simply kill me. It's Katherine though so I wouldn't be surprised if she got ahold of vampire blood, took it, and baited a vampire to kill her. It's also Vampire Diaries, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a "surprise, the cure won't let you ever become a vampire again" clause for season 5.
The cure has no precedence in the mythos, and the producers have mentioned that's going to cause Katherine issues (is trying to re-vamp yourself worth the risk of dying?)

tirminyl

The cure has no precedence in the mythos, and the producers have mentioned that's going to cause Katherine issues (is trying to re-vamp yourself worth the risk of dying?)

I can understand that. I really haven't followed any interviews or comments from writers, producers, or show runners regarding the show. I just show up to watch the drama unfold.

Aeon712

So wait I'm a little confused by the final scene. Did Silas actually want the cure or was his goal trapping Stefan all along? I didn't understand that if the spell by Bonnie put on him was broken when she died then why didn't he attempt to get the cure back ?

kirblar

So wait I'm a little confused by the final scene. Did Silas actually want the cure or was his goal trapping Stefan all along? I didn't understand that if the spell by Bonnie put on him was broken when she died then why didn't he attempt to get the cure back ?
He wanted the cure and doesn't know yet that it's gone. He was just getting some vengeance/finding a way to easily impersonate a member of the group that has the cure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom