• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Vampire Diaries S4 |OT| of not being anything like Twilight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bladenic

The season 3 premiere was awesome as fuck. Andie :'(. Bonnie only appearing in a phone call was weird but hilarious. Poor her.

Season 2 was so amazing. This show is great.

Bladenic

IT STILL GETS BETTER!

I don't think I could handle it getting better. It's already so good.

ibbWIAs8RvfVUt.gif

TripOpt55

I'd rank it S3 >>> S2 =/> S4 >>> S1

My reasons for ranking S4 about the same as S2 to me was that for me, the first half of S2 wasn't as strong as its second half. It was primarily the setup for S3, which for me was absolute bliss.

S4 feels like it's the same as S2 was for what is sure to be an INSANE S5. The difference with the two is that S2 was a natural progression that kept getting bigger and bigger as you advanced whereas S4, with a bunch of setpieces already in place, was much more scattered in its method of setting up things. However, I felt that S4 had a lot of twists and turns that were incredible and while at times it did drag for sake of character development (it did have a big character piece to tackle: Elena), it came together really well thematically in the end.

I can see why someone might like 3 more than 2 even if I disagree. Personally I felt like 3 had issues in the back half of what to do with the Originals, but it was really great and the finale was amazing. 4 as good as 2 though? Never... haha. I hope you are right about 5 though.

I think another thing that hurt S4 for me was the sire bond. It muddled all the decisions Elena was making early in the season.

Also I assume bladenic got banned for posting that gif... with every post he made on this forum. It was getting ridiculous. Even with Nina's hotness in it.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
What really hurt S4 was that the conflicts where mostly focused on the inner circle and very little outside threats, it started good due to the hunter with the pastor (remember the funeral scene) and it ended good thanks to Silas (killing Jeremy, hunting Bonnie) but when it was just episodes with the main regulars bitching with each other it kind of dragged. Its sort of why I am worried about S5 since Silas is a Stefan doppelganger therefore the feeling of someone new entering their world wont really be there.

Carbonox

Saw the finale yesterday. So Silas's true form is Stefan? As in, The Stefan we know is a doppelganger of Silas (who is the 'original' Stefan for argument's sake)?

Pretty disappointed that Jeremy was brought back. Such a dull and annoying character.

Regarding the cure, I was actually sure that Stefan was the one who was gonna take it and become human. Seemed to line up perfectly until the twist.

jwk94

Holy shit! Caroline's actress is in Juno! She's so short and young in this. Hell, everybody looks so different, except Michael Cera.

I gotta say, Bladenic posting that gif with every post was hilarious to me for some reason.

I laughed every time I saw it.

I didn't like that ending at all though. They literally said Binnie could do anything which is just shitty writing, there is more doppelganger stuff, Klaus stopped by to cure Damon for no reason, and Jeremy is back. So many feels for Alaric though.

Solo

Just finished marathoning through this show over the past few weeks. I quite enjoy it. There is altogether too much relationship drama garbage, but I've watched enough CW shows to know that it is a requirement for their main demo, so I can live with it. The characters, the chemistry and the plotting more than make up for it. I must say though that I felt the first two seasons were better than the latest two. S1 had all the origin stuff and was shackled with having a bunch of initial episodes to set up characters and love triangles and stuff, but by about a third of the way though the season, it picked up and never let up. S2 was absolutely fantastic all the way through and easily my favorite of the seasons and introduced the two best villains on the show, Katherine and Klaus. S3's highs might be the entire series' highs but it also was really inconsistent and had some lows, mostly with regards to the Originals and the writer's inability to craft something worthwhile for them. S4 frankly was all over the place with far too many plots being juggled and none of them done very successfully.

I think the writers fell in love with Klaus and as such he stuck around a season too long. I think the Originals starting up might be the best thing to happen to The Vampire Diaries since Klaus first appeared, as it allows Klaus to shine in his own show while allowing TVD to continue without having to shoehorn him into the plot like they did in S4. Really looking forward to a hopefully refocused S5 and how things go with two versions of Stefan running around!

S2 > S1 > S3 >S4

kirblar

Just finished marathoning through this show over the past few weeks. I quite enjoy it. There is altogether too much relationship drama garbage, but I've watched enough CW shows to know that it is a requirement for their main demo, so I can live with it. The characters, the chemistry and the plotting more than make up for it. I must say though that I felt the first two seasons were better than the latest two. S1 had all the origin stuff and was shackled with having a bunch of initial episodes to set up characters and love triangles and stuff, but by about a third of the way though the season, it picked up and never let up. S2 was absolutely fantastic all the way through and easily my favorite of the seasons and introduced the two best villains on the show, Katherine and Klaus. S3's highs might be the entire series' highs but it also was really inconsistent and had some lows, mostly with regards to the Originals and the writer's inability to craft something worthwhile for them. S4 frankly was all over the place with far too many plots being juggled and none of them done very successfully.

I think the writers fell in love with Klaus and as such he stuck around a season too long. I think the Originals starting up might be the best thing to happen to The Vampire Diaries since Klaus first appeared, as it allows Klaus to shine in his own show while allowing TVD to continue without having to shoehorn him into the plot like they did in S4. Really looking forward to a hopefully refocused S5 and how things go with two versions of Stefan running around!

S2 > S1 > S3 >S4
I believe Klaus' contract for S3 mandated that he be in every episode, which caused no small amount of problems later on in the season. In S4 they were able to get around it better.

Solo

I believe Klaus' contract for S3 mandated that he be in every episode, which caused no small amount of problems later on in the season. In S4 they were able to get around it better.

I have no idea about contracts and whatnot, so I'll take your word on it. To me, Klaus is the type of character that works better in small doses instead of being a lead. Joseph Morgan plays him so well that I'd rather only see him sparsely, but with good material, then waste him in every episode with mediocre material.

kirblar

I have no idea about contracts and whatnot, so I'll take your word on it. To me, Klaus is the type of character that works better in small doses instead of being a lead. Joseph Morgan plays him so well that I'd rather only see him sparsely, but with good material, then waste him in every episode with mediocre material.
Yeah, the massacre in S4 really helped re-establish him as a threat, because he had become completely defanged (pun sort of intended) by that point. Getting him and the other invincibles off the stage will probably help S5 out immensely.

S2 > S1 > S3 >S4

Reading your first part I was getting ready to type exactly this, then I see you already said it. I'd completely agree.

Klausless VD should be very interesting. I just hope they get back to their faster pacing and deal with Sylas fast and move on to something else. Not that Sylas can't be good, I just think without Klaus the writers don't have to keep thinking of bigger and badder villains which results in them sticking around too long.

Solo

Yeah, the massacre in S4 really helped re-establish him as a threat, because he had become completely defanged (pun sort of intended) by that point. Getting him and the other invincibles off the stage will probably help S5 out immensely.

Oh yeah, the massacre was easily one of the best/more shocking events of S4. Then it gets topped off with him murdering Carol Lockwood in cold blood. THAT was great and what Klaus should always be. Instead they almost made him Damon 2.0 by the end of his time on TVD.

Hope he gets to be more vicious on The Originals.

Also, I really like Rebekah, but for someone in as many episodes and scenes as she was, she never really got a good character arc.

Reading your first part I was getting ready to type exactly this, then I see you already said it. I'd completely agree.

Klausless VD should be very interesting. I just hope they get back to their faster pacing and deal with Sylas fast and move on to something else. Not that Sylas can't be good, I just think without Klaus the writers don't have to keep thinking of bigger and badder villains which results in them sticking around too long.

It'll be interesting to see what they do here. Do they have Silas killed and Stefan back ASAP? Do they drag it out?

I really like Paul Wesley when he gets these rare chances (since he's usually saddled with playing the straight man) to be bad or do something different (ripper Stefan = best Stefan), so I'll really be looking forward to his Silas, whether it lasts 4 episodes or most of the season.

I think a problem they have going forward is that they've never really established an over-arching, series-long villain for the end game. Realistically, this show will probably end up with 7 or 8 seasons. So they are at least half way done and I have no idea where the show is heading.

It'll be interesting to see what they do here. Do they have Silas killed and Stefan back ASAP? Do they drag it out?

I really like Paul Wesley when he gets these rare chances (since he's usually saddled with playing the straight man) to be bad or do something different (ripper Stefan = best Stefan), so I'll really be looking forward to his Silas, whether it lasts 4 episodes or most of the season.

I think a problem they have going forward is that they've never really established an over-arching, series-long villain for the end game. Realistically, this show will probably end up with 7 or 8 seasons. So they are at least half way done and I have no idea where the show is heading.

CW is just about as bad as Showtime, if not worse, when it comes to dragging shows out. I doubt they really have an ongoing idea for end game at this point. I think the writers could come up with something though.

I still think Michael didn't get enough time, probably the biggest let down of the show. He could have been interesting.

Solo

That is true.... I remember Smallville lasting a good 5 too many seasons :/

As for Mikael......it's TVD, they could bring him back :lol

For the record, I hate Jeremy coming back. Useless character. Should have brought Anna back instead.

kirblar

CW is just about as bad as Showtime, if not worse, when it comes to dragging shows out. I doubt they really have an ongoing idea for end game at this point. I think the writers could come up with something though.

I still think Michael didn't get enough time, probably the biggest let down of the show. He could have been interesting.
The producers have said their template/framework was actually 6 seasons. (It's why Elena got turned in S3, the assumed midway point of the series.)

Solo

The producers have said their template/framework was actually 6 seasons. (It's why Elena got turned in S3, the assumed midway point of the series.)

Really? Awesome. That's super encouraging - I love when shows set an ending and sticks to it. I think six seasons would be just the right amount anyways. Gives them a chance to go out on a high note if they can deliver two seasons to atone for S4.

Of course what it really depends on (aside from ratings) is how long the actors are under contract for.

If it happens that's great, I just can't see CW letting their biggest show go. They held on to OTH and Smallville for longer and they weren't doing near the same numbers. Same with Supernatural.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
That is true.... I remember Smallville lasting a good 5 too many seasons :/

As for Mikael......it's TVD, they could bring him back :lol

For the record, I hate Jeremy coming back. Useless character. Should have brought Anna back instead.

Anna :(

I'd rather have Alaric back over Jeremy.

TripOpt55

S2 > S1 > S3 >S4

Very similar to my thoughts. I'd flip S3 and S1 though. The first half of Season 3 was excellent I thought until they really ran into problems with what the hell to do with The Originals in the back half. Klaus would have been much stronger in a shorter arc. Also loved the finale of S3. Happy to see S2 as your best! The correct choice!

Also it is nice to have a six year plan, but it is hard to imagine this series not being stretched longer due to it being as successful as it has for The CW. We'll see I guess.

Tokubetsu

Very similar to my thoughts. I'd flip S3 and S1 though. The first half of Season 3 was excellent I thought until they really ran into problems with what the hell to do with The Originals in the back half. Klaus would have been much stronger in a shorter arc. Also loved the finale of S3. Happy to see S2 as your best! The correct choice!

Also it is nice to have a six year plan, but it is hard to imagine this series not being stretched longer due to it being as successful as it has for The CW. We'll see I guess.

If Supernatural can get to nine seasons (and lets be honest, very likely ten seasons) TVD should hit that easily unless it's budget is ridiculous. Even then CW will find a way.

Pachimari

S2 > S1 > S3 >S4

Right on Solo.

I think I would only exchange S1 for S3 but I'm not sure yet and I'm gonna rewatch all the seasons soon.

But Season 4 were clearly the weakest and they need to get back on track next season.

Solo

Solo and I joining the party at the same time. All is well.

With Fringe over, it's nice to be reunited in another show's thread :lol

Anna :(

I'd rather have Alaric back over Jeremy.

As would I. The only dead characters I'd like to see return are Anna, Alaric and maybe Jenna. Jeremy should have stayed dead and Bonnie too.

In hindsight (if they *had* to have Klaus in every eisode) they should have had Stefan be the ripper and stay with Klaus/Rebekah longer in S3. Once that arc (hybrid creation) came to an end they ran into problems.

Next step is to get Solo into Supernatural.

I've seen random episodes here and there but 10 seasons is way too daunting to get into.

Right on Solo.

I think I would only exchange S1 for S3 but I'm not sure yet and I'm gonna rewatch all the seasons soon.

But Season 4 were clearly the weakest and they need to get back on track next season.

It seems most of you prefer S3 to S1. Perhaps a rewatch would change that but my initial impression was that the back end of S3 was really weak outside of the finale, whereas S1 started slow but got better and better.

As would I. The only dead characters I'd like to see return are Anna, Alaric and maybe Jenna. Jeremy should have stayed dead and Bonnie too.

I honestly think Jenna was even worse than Jeremy. They seemed to never know what to do with her at all. Jeremy they at least tried, even though it was always horrible.

Also Lexi... :(

SHIT, forgot Lexi! She'd be #1 over Anna. Lexi should be a regular on the show.

Bout time there was someone else who thinks that.

So with Katherine taking the cure (and the Stephan double) does that mean she will become the protected one?

I think it depends on how the whole Doppelganger thing plays out. I don't really see her becoming the doppelganger again because Klaus is the main person who would want her and I can't see Deprov pulling double show duty... Plus I think the doppelganger mess is going to be left behind as it should so the story can get past it. I'd be surprised if she becomes protected as just a human though, she's done a lot of shitty things...

Bladenic

Probably gonna write a bigger post soon for S4. But for now I'll just say that I hate they brought back Jeremy (I read it was supposed to be permanent but they backpedaled for some lame reason). I actually like Bonnie, however I'm glad that the writers will be forced to stop using her to fix everything with a spell. Poor Bon Bon always got the short end with character development in favor of others. Really hope they don't bring in another witch, nor do they simply use Bonnie as a way to get help from the other side.

And regarding the six seasons thing, The CW could (and almost certainly would unless the show tanks in the next 2 seasons) renew it further, like with Supernatural. Hoping for the best.

I'm actually a little worried about S5 since Williamson is still gone and Julie Plec has like 3 other shows, hopefully TVD won't be affected too much.

Solo

This show likes to turn characters 180 degrees.... I can see Katherine becoming a good guy. I'd bet that she will be the one to save Stefan.

I've seen random episodes here and there but 10 seasons is way too daunting to get into.

It isn't to 10 seasons yet. You only have 8 to catch up on. Which is still daunting, but of course there is nothing else to watch during summer. My wife and I usually marathon entire series during the summer months.

Solo

Talk about awkward.... Nina and Ian date for years before the writers put their characters together, and then when the writers finally get them together, they break up IRL :lol

Wonder if that will effect the show.

Somnia

Talk about awkward.... Nina and Ian date for years before the writers put their characters together, and then when the writers finally get them together, they break up IRL :lol

Wonder if that will effect the show.

They claim it won't effect anything, but we'll see. It sounds more and more like the break up was not very mutual based off some of their tweets lol

Solo

Apparantly he cheated on her, they got back together and he wanted to marry her after which she left him.

Never heard about the cheating bit.

The rest is correct though as I understand it. He's well into his 30's and wanted to marry and she's very young and didn't want to settle down.

Jeremy returning is almost bittersweet. I would've preferred Alaric but I hope Jeremy will actually have a use in this upcoming season because currently, I don't see much of a point in him being back aside from being Elena's anchor.

Also, Katherine is probably going to need protection from Klaus considering her human blood can probably provide him with more hybrids & etc.

Also, Katherine is probably going to need protection from Klaus considering her human blood can probably provide him with more hybrids & etc.

But that can't really happen unless Katherine goes to The Originals, and we know that isn't happening unless it's a small cameo or a small cross over story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom