• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West presents The Life of Pablo |OT| WE ON AN ULTRA LIGHT BEAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been listening to TPAB for the first time; I think Kendrick's a sensational performer but not loving the album tbh. Maybe it's because I'm not black, or American, it doesn't necessarily resonate with me? Might need to give it a few more listens and read the lyrics so none of it goes over my head due to its complexity and speed.

The Blacker The Berry was nuts though.

lyrically it's pretty clear to me that he'll never top MBDTF. unless he gets the same people to help him write again i guess.

The start of Dark Fantasy is so fucking good.

rambis

Banned
So he paved the way for other no talent rappers... Thank you for such a bright future! Just being famous isn't contributing to genre, thanks Nicki, with out you we woukd never gave such talented artists like Iggy Azelia.

Kanye might not be the most lyrical rapper, but he's a lot better than Future... At least I can understand what he says. He's contributed more to the genre just in his production than both of the rappee hacks combined.
Who cares what you understand? Its obvious the music isnt for you, why not just leave it at that?

Its crazy how much this has to be explained. Future is a regional artist with national success. The people he makes music for talk just like him or likely worse. The problem is that people try to export southern rap culture everywhere without really even understanding it. Im sure the artists themselves dont mind though.

Moonkid

Been listening to TPAB for the first time; I think Kendrick's a sensational performer but not loving the album tbh. Maybe it's because I'm not black, or American, it doesn't necessarily resonate with me? Might need to give it a few more listens and read the lyrics so none of it goes over my head due to its complexity and speed.

The Blacker The Berry was nuts though.
I didn't really care for the album either on my first listen. I remember getting a Spotify trial just to listen to it and not really being blown away after listening to it the day it dropped. I can almost guarantee that upon relistens, especially keeping an ear out for the subtleties of the production and an eye on the lyrics, that it'll grow on you however.

I didn't really care for the album either on my first listen. I remember getting a Spotify trial just to listen to it and not really being blown away after listening to it the day it dropped. I can almost guarantee that upon relistens, especially keeping an ear out for the subtleties of the production and an eye on the lyrics, that it'll grow on you however.

Will listen again tomorrow!

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
my local radio station had contest saying they were giving tlop away as a prize but I don't know how since an official physical release hasn't been announced yet.

Hip Hop

my local radio station had contest saying they were giving tlop away as a prize but I don't know how since an official physical release hasn't been announced yet.

sD28bZM.png
sD28bZM.png
sD28bZM.png

Eos

Doubt it. He's mentioned MBDTF as being a 'perfect' album several times in different interviews etc, so I'd hazard a guess that he probably prefers MBDTF.
Kanye West Says "808s" & "Yeezus" Are "So Much Stronger" Than "MBDTF"
Kanye West said:
Code:
You know, people extend their brand for a long time. There's true moments of genius, then there are moments of looking through the archives and putting shit together, he said. So many people rate Dark Fantasy as my best album, but Yeezus and 808s are so much stronger. Dark Fantasy to me is... almost like, an apology record. 'Power' was the least progressive song that I've ever had as a first single.... least challenging.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Probably a Tidal subscription code or something. I don't know what else you'd use that POS music service for.

They never mentioned tidal or any streaming service and the context in which they used the word album implied something physical. I mean, maybe it was a goof or something.

Been messing with an alternative tracklist for TLOP which makes it a bit more cohesive I think. Takes inspiration from the original tracklist when it was 10 but adds all the remaining songs.

ULB
Famous
Father pt1
Pt2
Lowlights
Highlights
30 hours
NMPILA
Facts
Fade
Waves
(*optional* I Love Kanye, i think it acts as a good buffer between the feel of what comes before and what comes after)
Feedback
Freestyle 4
FML
Real Friends
Wolves

PBY

Banned
I meannnnn thousands of people have already ordered the album lol

What the hell to they get

FZZ

Banned
It ain't over til Sees Tickets and Def Jam says so fam

Y'all were losing faith before as well, I'm watching from the shadows (aka KTT) but we will be eating soon. Don't worry.

I guess this is where I confess that I've never listened to 808s. I was really stubborn at the time (and suppose I still kinda am) about autotune. I know he still uses it here and there, but till this day a whole album like that leaves me completely disinterested. I'll probably suck it up and listen to it one day.

Anyway, I agree that either MBDTF or College Dropout are his best albums (but also think Yeezus is incredibly mediocre and Graduation doesn't hold up).

BIG_V-G-V

Banned
Best Ye song from each album?

CD- Spaceship
LR- Gone
Grad- Flashing Lights
808's- Welcome to Heartbreak
MBDTF- Runaway
Yeezus- Blood On the Leaves
TLoP- TBD lol

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Damn, we havne't gotten to 20,000, yet?

Things have gone slowly the past week or so. We need news.

Yep, things have been too quiet lately. We need a round of Ye tweets.

Or maybe, just maybe an album release.

Nah... LOL that isn't happening anytime soon.

ItIsOkBro

CD- Spaceship
LR- Gone
Grad- Flashing Lights
MBDTF- Runaway
TLoP- TBD lol

CD: All Falls Down
LR: Addiction
Grad: Flashing Lights
808s: Say You Will
MBDTF: Hell of a Life
Yeezus: I'm In It
TLoP: Famous

udiie

CD- All Falls Down
LR- Heard 'Em Say
Grad- Good Life
808's- Coldest Winter
MBDTF- Runaway
Yeezus- New Slaves
TLoP- FML or Father Stretch My Hands Pt. 1 & 2 (as a whole)

We should be including best tracks from Cruel Summer and WTT
I'd say probably Mercy (but To The World is my jam) and Otis

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
"Never was much of a romantic
I could never take the intimacy
And I know I did damage
Cause the look in your eyes is killing me
I guess you are at an advantage
Cause you can blame me for everything
And I don't know how I'mma manage
If one day you just up and leave"

Prob my favourite lyrics/delivery of his from Runaway, shit cuts deep :(

Servbot24

Banned
CD- Slow Jamz
LR- Gone
Grad- Champion
808's- Street Lights
MBDTF- Devil in a New Dress
TLoP- Ultralight Beam

Grad is the only one that's tough to choose.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Damn, we havne't gotten to 20,000, yet?

Things have gone slowly the past week or so. We need news.

I think this thread is sort of indicative of the album hype in general. People can't buy the album. I know a bunch of people who haven't heard a single track. Media isn't talking about it Kanye has gone radio silent(pun intended).

This album gets better each time I listen

It's hard to listen to other rap albums after kanye. As good as others are when ever I listen to kanye he always seems to transcend just being a rapper.
I think albums like To pimp a butterfly are amazing but theirs always something transcendent in kanyes albums. I don't think that always makes them better but it gives them a kind of joy I don't get from many artists.

Kanye is so fucking talented

Red_Man

This album gets better each time I listen

It's hard to listen to other rap albums after kanye. As good as others are when ever I listen to kanye he always seems to transcend just being a rapper.
It helps that this album is so layered, so many different styles and beats on it. It makes it really easy and enjoyable to listen to from start to finish.

It helps that this album is so layered, so many different styles and beats on it. It makes it really easy and enjoyable to listen to from start to finish.
Yeah. I mean I love future and Drake (two of the biggest names now) but they feel so one-note after listening to an album like this.

There's just so much to digest. I mean I still catch different things in MBDTF 6 years later

Weetrick

Seems like I enjoy Graduation a lot more than most people here. I think it's because it was the first Kanye album I fully listened to as a whole, instead of just the radio singles. I still love that album today, even after hearing his whole discography many many times.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

CD- Spaceship
LR- Gone
Grad- Flashing Lights
MBDTF- Runaway
TLoP- TBD lol

CD- Spaceship
LR- Addiction
Grad- I Wonder
808's- Say You Will
MBDTF- Runaway (but Blame Game holds a special spot in my heart)
Yeezus- New Slaves (fuck or is it black skinhead...)
TLoP- Feedback

I still need to give TLoP time to really grow. I love Feedback but there is a lot on the album to love.

I'm really glad so many people appreciate Addiction. Very high on my list of favorites.

Eos

Of the top of my head it'd probably be this... But if I spent time going thru each album again it might change
CD: Spaceship
LR: Roses
Grad: Can't Tell Me Nothing
808s: Welcome to Heartbreak
MBDTF: Lost in the World
Yeezus: Blood On the Leaves
TLoP: Wolves

cb1115

CD - We Don't Care
LR - Late
Graduation - Flashing Lights
808s - Street Lights
MBDTF - Gorgeous
Yeezus - Hold My Liquor
TLOP - Waves

SeroTyler

First one to talk gets to stay on the aircraft!
CD - Family Business
LR - Late
Graduation - Champion
808s - Street Lights or Paranoid
MBDTF - I literally cannot decide...
Yeezus - New Slaves
TLOP - Ultra Light Beams

WTT - That's My Bitch
CS - Mercy

Im on my phone so can't post my whole list but Blood on Leaves has to be number one for Yeezus.

The audacity to use those samples for that song and having it work so well is something only kanye could ever do or even imagine. I'm still blown away every time.

Seems like I enjoy Graduation a lot more than most people here. I think it's because it was the first Kanye album I fully listened to as a whole, instead of just the radio singles. I still love that album today, even after hearing his whole discography many many times.

Never got the graduation hate, it's his 3rd best album and arguably his 2nd best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom