• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RED ASH Kickstarter crashes n burns (Comcept/Inafune/Hyde making Mega Man Legends 3)

wrowa

If this doesn't work I doubt they'd try a second time. A playable mockup is well above and beyond anything I've seen from any of the larger kickstarters. If that's not enough to get it funded, they'd be justified in assuming people just aren't going to accept anything as a good enough reason to back the game.

It's pretty much a "back now or kiss it goodbye" situation, I'd say.

That's assuming that the prototype is interesting in the first place. The idea that people would want to back a project because of a incredibly simple Unity prototype is quite hilarious to me. I don't think anyone doubts that professional game developers are able to decently use an engine, after all. Showing off that you can move your character through a 3D environment as if that's anything to be proud of reeks of desperation.

Just played the Prototype and I'm blown away that they've opened up something this early to us to toy with. From the design and details of this Market area, they real nailed the love and feel put into the Legends games, even in this early state. Got a little emotional when I kicked the can and heard the same sfx as the one in Legends.

Fuck. Why out all games, did *this* one have to be the one they fucked up?

For those confused by the controls, the arrow keys are the movement of course, and the A and D keys move the camera Left and Right respectively. W and D move the camera up and down as well. Very basic of course, but enough to get a good view of things. Talk is Z, Kick is X, Fire is Shift Left, Space is jump.

I am going to get emotional over this damn game not going to be made. Not once BUT TWICE now!

DigiGee_

Neo Member
4e0ad15f9c.gif

nice to see that new Beck is in but I hope the animation isn't final

Sneds

Really cool off then to release the prototype. Though I don't think they will hit their goal but having this and all the other updates on a KickStarter relaunch should help the 2nd try get funded fast

I ran the prototype. I realise that it's pre-alpha but I'm not sure why this prototype supposed to sell me on the game. It tells me absolutely nothing about how the final version will play or what it will look like. I'm not even sure you can call it a prototype because it isn't a proof of concept.

That's assuming that the prototype is interesting in the first place. The idea that people would want to back a project because of a incredibly simple Unity prototype is quite hilarious to me. I don't think anyone doubts that professional game developers are able to decently use an engine, after all. Showing off that you can move your character through a 3D environment as if that's anything to be proud of reeks of desperation.

I've always been critical of this Kickstarter, but I had some fun with this prototype.

Beck is hidden in it and you can play as him.

I hate to say it but it made me feel a little nostalgic... because it controls just like the PS1 games, which still works but I wish there was some improvement there.

Most people don't spend too much time looking at a Kickstarter before backing it so had this come out with the pitch on day one, then I think this campaign would have turned out much differently. Right now it sadly is just too little too late.

It's obvious that they came up with this at the last minute in an attempt to salvage the campaign but I think it's still promising. If they were to continue work on it and make another playable demo with a small town and a small action level, then I'd say this would have a high chance of success if relaunched.

And I know it's not a popular opinion, but I want to throw it out there anyway, I still think they should ditch the whole Red Ash branding and art style and just go with the MN9 character designs. It fits the world they're going with much more nicely and if they relaunch they should distance the new campaign from the failed Red Ash as much as possible. Maybe if they relaunch like this they can make Red Ash Beck and Call Kickstarter exclusive unlockable skins.

junpei

Well one of the complaints that people have had that Hyde is a mobile games developer and haven't had any "Real" experience making a game . This isn't a strong counterpoint to that but it is still supports the idea that they have what it takes .

Cmagus

Just played the Prototype and I'm blown away that they've opened up something this early to us to toy with. From the design and details of this Market area, they real nailed the love and feel put into the Legends games, even in this early state. Got a little emotional when I kicked the can and heard the same sfx as the one in Legends.

For those confused by the controls, the arrow keys are the movement of course, and the A and D keys move the camera Left and Right respectively. W and D move the camera up and down as well. Very basic of course, but enough to get a good view of things. Talk is Z, Kick is X, Fire is Shift Left, Space is jump.

I feel at this point they've shown plenty and for me I can honestly say I'm happy with my pledge.We now have a prototype, some music, gorgeous art and design and a animatic. I feel much more confident in this project and the team.
This was also included in the update:

Lastly, for those of you just joining us or who need their memories refreshed, this Kickstarter is for Red Ash: The KalKanon Incident. This is expected to be an 8-hour game (which can increase with size as stretch goals are met), about an ancient giant robot city on a collision course with a populated town. The story is about Beck and his companions dealing with the threat in a way that only they can.
While this is a self-contained story from beginning to end, it's also an introduction to the Red Ash world that we have envisioned. The KalKanon Incident will be used to pitch a larger game to potential publishers. Having this 8-hour game made and demonstrating that there's a market for it will help enormously in negotiations, which would normally be difficult for a large game. Our mission is to retain IP rights to RED ASH, which is why we've turned to you, Kickstarters, for your help!"

Which may clear things up a bit. I think what they are offering is the full 8 hour experience but reaching further stretch goal will add more to the complete self contained story.

Maybe they can try getting what they have out and focusing the rest on a well put together PayPal campaign.

Boke1879

I honestly hope a studio can pick this up. Even if it's released in episodes clearly they have something here and it looks just like MML.

This KS campaign has been very painful to watch. At the beginning I thought they would make it but since last week it has been pretty clear this is going to fail...

I wonder what they would do now...

junpei

This KS campaign has been very painful to watch. At the beginning I thought they would make it but since last week it has been pretty clear this is going to fail...

I wonder what they would do now...

they should ask dissenters what could they do to get them to pledge and comback with a strong 2nd KS. reach out the the gaming media and get them to cover the new campaign in a positive light . have true gameplay and what not. new tiers . hire whoever did the MN9 campaign etc this can be salvaged but it has to be so well polished that even a non megaman legends fan would want it .

udivision

This is... so bad.
Why would you show off a game in that state?
Heck, if you were announcing your Megaman Legends Fan Game, and you had this as the playable prototype, no one would take you seriously.

No one forced their hands to do this. I don't get it.

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
Can I ask a question? At this point in the campaign, what do you think Comcept could do to convince skeptics to pledge?

Or is it too late?

Man, this thing is just not getting funded. Oh well...
If this is so, let's hope Inafune learns from this experience. "Don't be so eager, beaver, or you won't get the ceder!" Really, this is something that could've benefited from careful planning and, perhaps, a reveal at TGS. And I'm saying this as something who is anticipating MN9(even though it doesn't look cel-shaded like people wanted it to be).

Patience, Inafune. First see how MN9 does before you start pushing a connected franchise like Red Ash. Hell, Inafune should've focused on Re-Core first, THEN think about making these Red Ash dreams into reality. We can wait.

Can I ask a question? At this point in the campaign, what do you think Comcept could do to convince skeptics to pledge?

Or is it too late?

Too late, a completely mismanaged kick starter campaign, time to swallow their pride and try again in a few months with a much better campaign.

Chaser324

Banned

Or is it too late?

I think it's over at this point. Releasing that prototype was a desperation move. If they had anything more convincing waiting in the wings, they would've shown it already.

That being said, even if this KS fails, there's still potential here. If Mighty No 9's release is well received and they can spend some time regrouping and producing a more representative prototype, I think they could take another shot at this in 2016 and be more successful.

Too late, a completely mismanaged kick starter campaign, time to swallow their pride and try again in a few months with a much better campaign.
-They should also release the first game they used KS to fund.

-Have a plan to release the full game and not a near-million dollar demo.

-Come out with the game and allow the characters to gain familiarity with fans before trying to launch an anime.

-Have a plan to launch a full anime and not a $150,000 5-minute short (upgraded to 12-minutes).

As someone who is excited that the "father of Mega Man" is marching on where Capcom is failing us, both of these Red Ash KS have been pretty shameful and reek of attempts at taking advantage of fans. (Is that too harsh?)

But with all that said, there is no real downside to launching a KS. Nothing is lost. Maybe they'll come back next year with more content and a better campaign. Maybe they will use the money they have from other sources and won't feel the need to use KS in the future.

Wereroku

-They should also release the first game they used KS to fund.

-Have a plan to release the full game and not a near-million dollar demo.

-Come out with the game and allow the characters to gain familiarity with fans before trying to launch an anime.

-Have a plan to launch a full anime and not a $150,000 5-minute short (upgraded to 12-minutes).

As someone who is excited that the "father of Mega Man" is marching on where Capcom is failing us, both of these Red Ash KS have been pretty shameful and reek of attempts at taking advantage of fans. (Is that too harsh?)

But with all that said, there is no real downside to launching a KS. Nothing is lost. Maybe they'll come back next year with more content and a better campaign. Maybe they will use the money they have from other sources and won't feel the need to use KS in the future.
They are probably done with this I am guessing. Too much toxicity around Comcept at the moment. Maybe they will stick to just working with other publishers.

Zolo

i thought recent charts disproved this claim? The rate speeds up, but the amount of money wasn't too far off from the rest of the campaign

It generally depends on how close to a goal/how much a goal is wanted. That said, I don't see them doing twice their current funding in the final days, especially with all the bad press around it.

Kyuur

4e0ad15f9c.gif

nice to see that new Beck is in but I hope the animation isn't final

Looks like they just copied the animation from the MN9 Beck to the RA Beck, so definitely not final. :lol:

Looks like it won't make goal, but I do hope they either relaunch later with a more developed prototype and better goal (the same amount for the entire game would be a good start). I enjoyed the interview with the developer, the art direction is good and of course I want my MML spiritual sequel, so I hope it doesn't just disappear. I guess we'll see how Mighty No9 does.

-Have a plan to launch a full anime and not a $150,000 5-minute short (upgraded to 12-minutes)..

Animation isn't cheap. Unless you mean them footing the bill to create a longer piece!

Pez

I don't mean to be negative, but I don't want this to succeed in its current iteration.

I want Comcept to regroup and knock our socks off in a few months with a polished prototype. =(

jholmes

they should ask dissenters what could they do to get them to pledge

In my case that would be build a time machine, go back and tell their past selves to not pull the crap they did after the Mighty No. 9 campaign closed. Also, go back to when they decided to do this Kickstarter, and instead do it after Mighty No. 9 is out so people can judge whether they are worthy of more money or not.

There are reasons why these Kickstarters are failing.

So many dumb people out there saying this doesn't look good, if the game is like this I don't want it, they need to improve this and that, WTF people!, this little demo is in no way a representation of the game's final form.

So many dumb people out there saying this doesn't look good, if the game is like this I don't want it, they need to improve this and that, WTF people!, this little demo is in no way a representation of the game's final form.

People know this, but it seems like this is something any programmer can make in maybe 1-2 days.
And this should be shown at the beginning of the KS, not just 5 days before the end.

Look at what can be developed during Gamejams in 24 hours that dont want you to sell on a game. These often look far better than this prototype...

Blackage

I mean it's kinda on them to make something people want to play. If it's a crappy demo that doesn't excite people and garners a negative reaction, again that's their fault. =/

Arkeband

Banned
The Toejam and Earl: Back in the Groove kickstarter had equally rough prototype stuff going on, but it was only asking for 400k and it made it.

I'd like to see this attempt at the kickstarter flop - not because I don't enjoy the MML series, but because Mighty No. 9 looks like it was not what was promised, and he's hoping to cash in again before people can learn their lesson.

It's slimy.

Also, the stretch goals are ridiculous.

I mean it's kinda on them to make something people want to play. If it's a crappy demo that doesn't excite people and garners a negative reaction, again that's their fault. =/
Exactly. Any publisher would've laughed that initial campaign video/description out of the room, and this "demo" out the freaking building.

Not sure why the burden of a decent pitch is any lower when you're asking the general public to fund your project.

hamchan

These "dumb people" are the ones they need to get money from soooo....

Animation isn't cheap. Unless you mean them footing the bill to create a longer piece!

According to an investigation by Media Development Research Institute Inc., a 30 minute episode of a TV anime in 2010 that totaled 11,000,000 yen (about US $145,214 at the current exchange rate)

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2011/10/30-1/how-much-does-one-episode-of-anime-cost-to-make

This was five years ago but I can't imagine the cost of animation has risen to the point that $150,000 got you 30 minutes back then but only gets you 5 minutes now.

Maybe there are other factors involved but $150,000 for 5 minutes sounds ridiculous for what will basically be a new take on the Mega Man 8 intro movie.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2011/10/30-1/how-much-does-one-episode-of-anime-cost-to-make

This was five years ago but I can't imagine the cost of animation has risen to the point that $150,000 got you 30 minutes back then but only gets you 5 minutes now.

Maybe there are other factors involved but $150,000 for 5 minutes sounds ridiculous for what will basically be a new take on the Mega Man 8 intro movie.

It depends actually. 5 minutes for a TV-anime are cheaper than 5 minutes for a OVA or a movie. I mean I am sure this Gainax Shorts that run for like 3-4 minutes are far more expensive than a normal TV-anime episode.

duckroll

You have to understand the context of production costs. It's not comparable.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=171040616&postcount=698

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=171042800&postcount=706

Poyunch

Looks like they just copied the animation from the MN9 Beck to the RA Beck, so definitely not final. :lol:

Looks like it won't make goal, but I do hope they either relaunch later with a more developed prototype and better goal (the same amount for the entire game would be a good start). I enjoyed the interview with the developer, the art direction is good and of course I want my MML spiritual sequel, so I hope it doesn't just disappear. I guess we'll see how Mighty No9 does.

I have no doubt that they just put the MN9 Beck Rig on the Red Ash Beck model and tweaked it a little.

junpei

In my case that would be build a time machine, go back and tell their past selves to not pull the crap they did after the Mighty No. 9 campaign closed. Also, go back to when they decided to do this Kickstarter, and instead do it after Mighty No. 9 is out so people can judge whether they are worthy of more money or not.

There are reasons why these Kickstarters are failing.
So there is nothing that they could do in order to sway your opinion if there was a second Ks. I understand and agree that they should have waited until mn9 was out but will a good 2d platfomer prove that they can make a good 3d adventure third person shooter? it could prove that they are a good developer but inti creates would likely be the reason why mighty number 9 is good. Concept whole sell ideas model is just weird because it make it hard to tell if the game is good because of them or if it is good because of the developer.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
How many times must the legacy of MML die. :( I was over it after the MML3 for 3DS fiasco, but it's starting to hurt again.

spinz

Ooph. So as it stands right now:
It looks like a 5 minute anime about the game will probably get funded.
But the game might not.
A fail of epic proportions.

Top Bottom