• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vampire Diaries S6/Originals S2 |OT| Have no fears we've got dopplegangers for years

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Topo

ER. Happy Days where probably nobody noticed. Cheers that probably became a bigger success. Laverne and Shirley which lost Shirley. A Different World. Spin City. 8 Simple Rules. Sesame Street.

Fair enough, there have been some shows in the past that managed to find success, although I'd argue there are significant differences between those shows and TVD. 8 Simple Rules is probably also not a good example though, given how that show didn't last long after John Ritter's unfortunate death. Spin City also never recovered from Michael J. Fox leaving. Emergency Room is probably the best example, I had actually forgotten about how many actors left that show.

Then again, do we really need the show to go on much longer? The writers seem to have run out of ideas (and subsequently given up) seasons ago. Elena leaving the show would shake things up, but it wouldn't suddenly unmake all the crap from past seasons, nor would it suddenly automatically introduce good storylines.

Joni

Fair enough, there have been some shows in the past that managed to find success, although I'd argue there are significant differences between those shows and TVD. 8 Simple Rules is probably also not a good example though, given how that show didn't last long after John Ritter's unfortunate death. Spin City also never recovered from Michael J. Fox leaving. Emergency Room is probably the best example, I had actually forgotten about how many actors left that show.
8 Simple Rules actually lasted longer without than with John Ritter.

Then again, do we really need the show to go on much longer? The writers seem to have run out of ideas (and subsequently given up) seasons ago. Elena leaving the show would shake things up, but it wouldn't suddenly unmake all the crap from past seasons, nor would it suddenly automatically introduce good storylines.
I still enjoy the shows so I'd like it to go on.

They couldn't do anything interesting with the college setting for fucks sake. I don't give them benefit of being able to rekindle the spark of a Nina leaves.

GavinUK86

From Nina's Instagram:

Dearest TVD Family,

I've just spent the most beautiful weekend on Lake Lanier in Georgia with my own TVD Family, the cast and crew of The Vampire Diaries. I want to be the first to tell you that it wasn't just a holiday celebration, it was a goodbye party. I always knew I wanted Elena's story to be a six season adventure, and within those six years I got the journey of a lifetime. I was a human, a vampire, a doppelganger, a crazy immortal, a doppelganger pretending to be human, a human pretending to be a doppelganger. I got kidnapped, killed, resurrected, tortured, cursed, body-snatched, was dead and undead, and there's still so much more to come before the season finale in May. Elena fell in love not once, but twice, with two epic soulmates, and I myself made some of the best friends I'll ever know and built an extended family I will love forever.

There's more to come before we wrap this up, and I promise you'll get to hear all about my experiences over the next month as we approach the season finale (I have given an exclusive interview for the June issue of SELF Magazine that I am excited for you to see!), but until then I invite you to hop on the roller coaster ride that is Elena Gilbert's life and join me as I celebrate her and prepare to say goodbye to her -- and to my work family -- as I move on to the next chapter of my life. I want to share this goodbye with all of you (this weekend's pictures were just the beginning). You, the wonderful fandom who gave more love, support and passion than anyone could have ever imagined seven years ago, when a young Degrassi girl from Canada showed up in LA to audition for 'that Twilight TV show.' ;-) I love you all. Fasten your seatbelts. If you think you know what's coming, you don't.

Love, Nina

Who's to say that the Elena character goes with Nina though. The Originals already opened up the possibility of body jumping. I could see them doing that to keep the character on the show.

joesmokey

I am guessing from previous interviews that seeing Jo's pregnancy makes Elena realize what she's missing as a vampire, decides to take the cure, and leaves to live a normal life. It would be awesome is if humanity-free Stefan takes her out as she tries to turn him back.

What's funny is that Delena fans really did ruin this show by forcing them to get together in the first place. The worst love triangle (of all time?) will likely have Elena end up with neither.

EulaCapra

What on earth... Jesus. I am not putting up for another season with the most mainest of main characters departing no matter how much they think the Salvatore Bros. are strong enough to carry the torch. Guess we know who's the cure going to.

Wish Nina (and Michael Trevino AND Steven R. McQueen) all the best. But bye, TVD. You're long in the tooth, but you did it pretty well enough for having over 100 episodes.

Unless they introduce some more strong actors, Nina leaving is going to leave very few things to be desired left in this show. Although she's been useless the past season or two....I feel like this show won't be the same ever considering most of the great cast is gone.

Elena becoming human and dying after seems likely. Wonder if that would segway into Damon losing his shit again or even go for Bonnie considering how they currently are so close right now.

Joni

Bonnie + Damon endgame.

Who's to say that the Elena character goes with Nina though. The Originals already opened up the possibility of body jumping. I could see them doing that to keep the character on the show.
If she is leaving, she should completely leave with her character. I don't think they'll try to repeat The Originals plotlines.

What on earth... Jesus. I am not putting up for another season with the most mainest of main characters departing no matter how much they think the Salvatore Bros. are strong enough to carry the torch. Guess we know who's the cure going to.
That is like saying Twilight wouldn't be able to survive without Bella. The Vampire Diaries and Twilight are very alike in source material, small time town girl finds attractive vampire. Elena is the blandest of the main characters, she has always been on purpose.

Great episode of The Originals tonight.

Now that the news about Nina Dobrev is confirmed I assume next season of TVD will be the final one.

Wiktor

Bonnie + Damon endgame.

I saw one interview at some con with Ian and somebody asked him why untill recently did he had so few scenes with Bonnie. And he said that when they were starting it became obvious they had great chemistry with eachother and producers got scared and scaled down, because Elena was supposed to the lead love interest :D

But yeah. The best part of this season has been Bonnie and Damon's relationship

Golden opportunity to reboot the show, kill almost everyone and leave only the brothers, recast, leave Mystic Falls and start over.

Pachimari

I'm with you when it comes to killing the cast. Keep Caroline and Stefan though. Damon and Bonnie have turned out to not be so great actors (actually Bonnie is okay but I don't like her character anymore unless she goes full on dark).

Stay in Mystic Falls though.

And goodbye Nina, I'm not sure if I will miss her in the show. She have been a weak point for so long.

So I'm excited about these news. And finally Jeremy and Tyler won't be here either.

Aceun

I think it's an opportunity to give the series a solid refresh.

For the next season, set it a year later, introduce some new cast members and elements and go from there.

I agree, keep the Salvatore bros, the Bennett witch and Caroline.

Zalasta

Elena has been the worst thing for the show in the past few seasons. Let's be honest here, VD has been creatively bankrupt for a long time. They keep recycling the same plots over and over (who else needs to turn off their humanity, or brought back to life), now with the cure back in play yet again. People should just let it go and end with whatever dignity they can manage to salvage.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
honestly the fact that a series of the originals is 22 episodes hurts it
17 episodes in and still not daliah
the plot is moving so damn slow, feels like i'm watching the same episode every week

Toki767

honestly the fact that a series of the originals is 22 episodes hurts it
17 episodes in and still not daliah
the plot is moving so damn slow, feels like i'm watching the same episode every week

I figure she'll be a regular next season so she'll only appear in the season finale.

I'm also at the point where I'm only watching TVD because I'm not really interested in any other shows airing on Thursdays.

Still gonna watch this ship sink tbh.

I want to see where it goes and if they could potentially pull it back together. Nothing will ever top when Klaus was there though. Them leaving for the originals really left a big dent in this show and it hasn't been as good since. Get rid of Tyler and Enzo, kill off Nina, and give us some amazing plot points that aren't the same shit. Kai can stay imo unless he is dead now since that old vampire got to him.

Hoping that family in the attic is something relevant and sinister. We need some good death and carnage again.

Joni

Klaus had to go though, he was way too powerful for it too be interesting. The show lost a lot of acting power with those brothers, but it was understandable.

Pachimari

The Mikaelson family were too big for TVD yeah, and it was the right decision giving them their own show. Unfortunately it haven't helped TVD in any way.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Really like this episode, Freya is awesome and it seems like Klaus will finally have someone who stands a chance against him.

Also really like the performance of New Rebecca this episode, she fits the role perfect.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Really like this episode, Freya is awesome and it seems like Klaus will finally have someone who stands a chance against him.

Also really like the performance of New Rebecca this episode, she fits the role perfect.

Yeah I'm enjoying her a lot too
I was wondering though, is there any reason they're keeping her as rebecca and not the old actress? Scheduling wise I mean

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
The Mikaelson family were too big for TVD yeah, and it was the right decision giving them their own show. Unfortunately it haven't helped TVD in any way.

I prefer The Originals as well.

TripOpt55

I missed this news about Nina. That is certainly interesting. I'm of the mind that both Salvatore brothers have been worse off as characters when they were with Elena, so maybe this could have a positive effect. And I'm not knocking Nina either as Katherine was my favorite character from the series. I will certainly miss looking at her weekly on my TV too.

Good Originals episode this week too. That show has been very good so far this year.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
It is also kinda amazing that Vincent seems more interesting than Finn.
Yeah didn't really care for Finn wince he was just a simple minded puppet but Vincent seems like a more interesting witch... An he is still somehow powerful. Hope he sticks around.

That would be very bad. They should just hire Nikki Reed for the show.

Haha, good one.

If they lose two leads they may as well just cancel the show. I have my doubts it will be viable without Dobrev, but if Somerhalder bails too then it's dead Jim.

Lawd this episode of the Originals was so good. Dahlia is exactly what the show needed. Someone who can make the Mikaelson family look like straight up bitches. The feels in that scene Klaus had with Michael right before he killed him.

Dahlia's actress may be a bit older but I'd be lying if her performance didn't make me find her attractive. I really hope they don't finish her off anytime soon but it's likely she'll be done by the season finale.

Matt_

YES TO EVERYTHING JUST YES YES YES

Joni

It is too bad they will have so little episodes on her, from now on till the end of the season. I would have liked a larger presence for her. But Claudia Black is the best choice for such a character. She is menacing enough to make it likely she is stronger than the others.
* Considering I'm waiting on the FarScape movie, it is good she doesn't stay too long.

I didn't hate it, but with the show setting series low ratings almost every week I shudder to think what the numbers are going to look like next fall without Nina Dobrev.

Joni

The episode was awesome, which is mainly because humanity-ridden Stefan and Caroline are a ruthless combination. I even expected them to just kill Tyler right there.
The addition of Lily worked, mainly because of the emotional impact on Damon. She basically destroyed him.
Witch-powered vampires, can't wait. But I still feel like this is coming too soon. Both The Vampire Diaries and The Originals are wasting storylines which could have been great for half a season on six episodes.

Somnia

Holy shit what an episode. Originals on fire, acting top notch too. That scene near the end when Klaus admitted what happened, so good

Aceun

I hope we don't spend too much time without
Klaus
next episode. The character brings so much depth to the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom