• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Corps (The Beatles) and MTV to hold a press conference tomorrow! Set HYPE = MAX

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
This new trend of music games that "celebrate" specific musicians really really irks me. Games have been on this path towards becoming less about being games and more about being content delivery systems for a while now, and this sort of epitomizes that when these bands (or at least their record labels) see games as simply another distribution channel for the music they own. "The game" is less important than selling you on the music and its associated brand power. You're going to be getting a Beatles themed Simon Says, and you'll be paying a premium for the privilege.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I'm guessing rather than creating your own character, you'll play as the Beatles and the venues and clothing will change as it goes along through their whole career.

The Cavern to the Ed Sullivan Show to Wembly to Shea to the Apple Roof.

That'd be a great game, but I don't know if they could do it in 80 songs :)

Campster

MightyHealthy said:

Well I just don't like the trend of using our medium to sell a brand. It's just as irksome when a movie becomes a vehicle for a rapper or wrestler or line of toys. You're not there to see an awesome movie, you're there to see said rapper/wrestler/Transformers in whatever crappy movie they signed on for.

Same thing here - "the game" as such is largely just going to be there to hold the music. It's advertising you're paying for. If Apple Corps. wasn't expecting a huge boost in sales (similar to what has been seen when other bands get tracks released on Rock Band/Guitar Hero) they would have no interest in this.

dave is ok said:
I'm guessing rather than creating your own character, you'll play as the Beatles and the venues and clothing will change as it goes along through their whole career.

Oh wow. The Ed Sullivan Show.

Oh my god, this game is gonna be amazing. How did not occur to me? And the rooftop?

WOW THIS GAME IS GONNA BE SO SWEET.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Not really liking the sounds of it so far. Emphasizing that it's a different "experience" while not actually providing any information about the difference, less likely to be exportable then we all would have assumed yesterday...

I agree with Campster's complaint there although probably not as strongly worded. GH Aerosmith was pretty pathetic in terms of the presentation. The "interviews" with Aerosmith were just... awful. It was like playing through an infomercial. To me, you don't need to celebrate legends. You experience legends, and their awesomeness lends itself to celebration.

Obviously we know very little about it, but at the same time the reason why we know little about it is because they're opting to say very little about it. If they wanted people to know more and form an informed decision before getting excited or disappointed, the onus is on them to release more info. I'm a lot less hyped than I was a day ago.

So I'll say what I said yesterday, the main criteria for music games going forward should be:
- Can it be played without buying extra plastic instruments that do the same thing as existing plastic instruments? (Looks like this hurdle is clear for basically all rhythm games)

- Can it be exported so that the content, what we're actually interested, can be attached to our existing database of content? (So, yay for RB2, yay for RB AC/DC, nay for GH:Aerosmith, nay for GH4, looking like nay for this)

- Is the track value good? Best value would allow for individual song purchases or discounted song bundles or even more discounted whole packs. Better value would be whole disc only, but the price would be such that you're saving money versus DLC. Poor value would be whole disc only, high price, low value? Obviously, as well, this depends on how many of the songs you are interested in. The AC/DC pack is pretty poor value for me. The Beatles would be inherently better value based on the weight of their catalogue, but it's possible the song choices suck, and it's worrying that they're making it seem like a "big, full game" which likely means high price.

Also, :lol :lol :lol at the continued canard that the people who shit on GH4 and GH:A are doing so because they're "Harmonix fanboys". Everyone thought GH80s was a misstep, and you'd have to be an idiot to argue the RB->RB2 song export function is not a massive progressive step for the music game genre. It's not about being a company fanboy, it's about not being a fan of BOHICA.

StuBurns

Banned
Campster said:
Well I just don't like the trend of using our medium to sell a brand. It's just as irksome when a movie becomes a vehicle for a rapper or wrestler or line of toys. You're not there to see an awesome movie, you're there to see said rapper/wrestler/Transformers in whatever crappy movie they signed on for.

Same thing here - "the game" as such is largely just going to be there to hold the music. It's advertising you're paying for. If Apple Corps. wasn't expecting a huge boost in sales (similar to what has been seen when other bands get tracks released on Rock Band/Guitar Hero) they would have no interest in this.
Utter speculation. You can't possibly know why this is happening. Of course money is an influence, but DLC are just tracks, this is an experience that reflects the bands career. It's completely different. For all we know, it'll include HD versions of parts of the Beatles films and things.

It's too early to say anything because we know nothing, but we do know the Beatles don't need to boost sales at all.

Stumpokapow said:
Valid Points, All

I have to say, the more I think about it, the less I'd even be bothered if these songs never make it into Rock Band. if they really take you, as a band, from Ed Sullivan, to the Rooftop Show, to cartoons on the Yellow Sub, to Abbey Road Studios, I mean....that sounds worth $60 to me, easily. No matter whether or not I can add those 80 songs to Rock Band 2 afterwards or not.

That's just my opinion, though. It really sounds like they're making this a legitimate experience, unlike the ACDC thing which is truly a (wildly overpriced) track pack.

birdman said:
What's so good about wii music

Probably nothing, but people here talk about it like it was the worst game ever. Im not really interested in Wii Music but I dont really see the appeal of the other game musics.....press the button at the right time and you win......

Joe Molotov

I don't care what they're calling it or what they're branding it, you'd better be able to export the songs to Rock Band, or it's more like Set HYPE = YAWN.

Joe Molotov said:
I don't care what they're calling it or what they're branding it, you'd better be able to export the songs to Rock Band, or it's more like Set HYPE = YAWN.

Really? No interest at all in recreating the Ed Sullivan appearance? At all?

I mean, personally, I'd think someone who really likes the Beatles would be so all over these kinds of things.

StuBurns

Banned
A completely new game, not a skin for RB2 is so much better then I ever expected this to be.

How can people not want an interactive Beatles Anthology in HD. Crazy.

stuburns said:
A completely new game, not a skin for RB2 is so much better then I ever expected this to be.

How can people not want an interactive Beatles Anthology in HD. Crazy.

This is what I'm saying. I'm baffled.

Not to mention if they can hone all their graphical power on just the four models. It could look just phenomenal.

sneaky77

stuburns said:
A completely new game, not a skin for RB2 is so much better then I ever expected this to be..

if it has to be compatible with rockband instruments, how is it not a new skin?

Campster said:

do you like music games? because if you do, then I don't get your point. And if you don't, then there is not much of a point.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
sneaky77 said:
if it has to be compatible with rockband instruments, how is it not a new skin?
I'd say mostly because they could do new arenas, bonus features, new modes, etc. Now I suppose some of this would be trifling, but for now I will give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that Harmonix is going to give the Beatles the royal treatment, and I actually wouldn't be surprised if they were contractually required to do so to a certain extent.

Campster

stuburns said:
Utter speculation. You can't possibly know why this is happening. Of course money is an influence, but DLC are just tracks, this is an experience that reflects the bands career. It's completely different. For all we know, it'll include HD versions of parts of the Beatles films and things.

It's too early to say anything because we know nothing, but we do know the Beatles don't need to boost sales at all.

That's exactly why it's happening, and exactly why we have Rock Band: AC/DC, Gutar Hero: Metallica, and Guitar Hero: Aerosmith. They see it as a new way to distribute their music and to "grow the brand" to speak in hideous marketing-speak. The mechanics of the Fake Plastic Instrument Band genre are now more strongly cemented than those of the FPS genre; no one is doing anything meaningful with the game's design anymore. It's all about selling content, not gameplay, and that's where the music companies get very, very interested. The game is irrelevant, the fact that it's a way to jack directly into the minds and wallets of young fans eager to part with their money is all that matters. What annoys me is that this game is being made only because a record label and some MTV executives both see dollarsigns in their eyes, not because this game needed to be made and not because anyone has a strong creative vision for it. It's a product, in the purest sense of the word.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
BenjaminBirdie said:
Really? No interest at all in recreating the Ed Sullivan appearance? At all?

No, not really. I mean, I'm sure there are a lot of Beatles fans who would, but not me. I'm a fan of the music made by the Beatles (and all four individually as solo artists--if I can't sing the No-no song, this game is missing an awesome opportunity. Think the software has snort detection?), but I think there are far more tasteful and insightful outlets to experience the story of the Beatles.

For me, I just want to bang on or noodle on or yell into overpriced pieces of plastic.

Still, if the Ed Sullivan thing pumps you up, that's awesome. Looks like you are definitely part of the audience they are reaching out for, and there are millions of others like you. I can see why some people would be into it, it's just not my bag.

But like I said, if it passes my smell test that I posted, I'm interested.

sneaky77

AstroLad said:
I'd say mostly because they could do new arenas, bonus features, new modes, etc. Now I suppose some of this would be trifling, but for now I will give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that Harmonix is going to give the Beatles the royal treatment, and I actually wouldn't be surprised if they were contractually required to do so to a certain extent.

I would still consider that a new skin, imo anyway. And before I get misunderstood, I have no issues with a stand alone game for a band, fans of the band can pick it up, and people that are not can skip it..

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
sneaky77 said:
I would still consider that a new skin, imo anyway. And before I get misunderstood, I have no issues with a stand alone game for a band, fans of the band can pick it up, and people that are not can skip it..

Why? "Skin" usually refers to a change in visual elements (which could be cool as well, certainly, then again I buy WindowBlinds so maybe I'm biased), not additional substantive content. It sounds as if you're just using it as a slur. I do grant that some may want significant modifications or changes in the game mechanics, which I agree are very unlikely to pop up here (though I wouldn't preclude that either).

Probably just semantics and/or usage though.

sneaky is just looking for some way to disparage this announcement and paint anyone excited about it as some doe-eyed Harmonix fanbaby, if you can't tell from his other posts.

dave is ok said:

That leaves a HUGE gap where they stopped playing live and they released some of their best albums.

StuBurns

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:
That leaves a HUGE gap where they stopped playing live and they released some of their best albums.
Not really, there is a ton of video of them in the studios. And the Beatles invented music videos, there's plenty of material.

sneaky77

AstroLad said:
Why? "Skin" usually refers to a change in visual elements (which could be cool as well, certainly, then again I buy WindowBlinds so maybe I'm biased), not additional substantive content. It sounds as if you're just using it as a slur. I do grant that some may want significant modifications or changes in the game mechanics, which I agree are very unlikely to pop up here (though I wouldn't preclude that either).

Probably just semantics and/or usage though.

I used skin, because I was quoting someone else and thats the word they used.
edit: in my opinion, I would call, the different stages and arenas or anything in the background a new skin.

As to me painting everyone as a hmx fanboy.. not really.. but the double standards for one company or another annoy the hell out of me, I play both series btw

And I do like the beattles and will be looking forward to this.

stuburns said:
Not really, there is a ton of video of them in the studios. And the Beatles invented music videos, there's plenty of material.

I've been dying for any kind of studio style Rock Band set. Playing in Abbey Road would do the trick so nicely.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
BenjaminBirdie said:
Exports only work to RB2.
exports work to both games. the export basically turns the disc into DLC which as we all know works in both RB1 and RB2 ;)

Tiktaalik

What the hell ?

- Not Rockband branded, some weird other thing..
- No mention of Rockband DLC or song transfers to Rockband
- Release date set for NEXT YEAR

Someone change the thread title to FUCK THE BEATLES

RARGHH I AM FANBOY ANGRY

StuBurns

Banned
sneaky77 said:
I used skin, because I was quoting someone else and thats the word they used.

As to me painting everyone as a hmx fanboy.. not really.. but the double standards for one company or another annoy the hell out of me, I play both series btw
I said skin.

I meant just Beatlizing the UI. Which is clearly not what is happening here. But that is what I expected. That's why I'm very very happy with this announcement.

And I hate Rock Band, they charged people in Britain £130 for the instruments (drums, mic and one guitar), and £40 for the software with RB1, and made us wait something like 8 months for localization.

GH:WT on the other hand is £140 with drums, two guitars the mic and the software.

MTV and Harmonix raped us. But I will buy this game, no doubt.

BobFromPikeCreek said:
GAF truly is incapable of liking anything.

Anything fun, at least. With the amazing Banjo demo and this sick awesome news and I'm sure much Mirror's Edge hate 24 hours from now, yeah. Hope and faith...dimini...shing.....

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
for the record, this is pretty god damn insane. IMHO this is only like 2-3 steps below EA locking up the NFL rights.

Linkified

As much of a fan of The Beatles, just the thought of The Beatles unless its some wacky shit like the Yellow Submarine where you go on a magical journey no deal.

Unless this is of course to Apple feeling out the market so that they can but the tracks into Rock Band 2 or 3.

I guess the finale of the game will be when Lennon marries Yoko

A british invasion themed game with The Beatles headlining would be great...give me a Rickenbacker controller and I'd be in heaven. Put a bunch of early Who/Kinks/Stones/Creation songs in and it would be amazing.

StuBurns

Banned
Linkified said:
As much of a fan of the Beattles, just the thought of The Beattles unless its some wacky shit like the Yellow Submarine where you go on a magical journey no deal.

Unless this is of course to Apple feeling out the market so that they can but the tracks into Rock Band 2 or 3.

I guess the finale of the game will be when Lennon marries Yoko
This is the worst post I've ever read in my life, I think just reading it shortened my life.

TheGreatDave said:
You sure? I thought ACDC went both ways.
unintentional puns are the best.
AstroLad said:
You have to realize Beatles love trounces all other love out there; that is the love at work here. Not system wars, or the even more pathetic Activision v. Harmonix wars. All of that is piddling and irrelevant compared to this megaton.
as they said, "All you need is love".
M3wThr33 said:
Now to get Ringo to autograph my copy of it.
:lol
raziel said:
i wonder if the songs are going to be remastered and if so, by who.
I'm going to assume that since Giles Martin is on and he did a lot of the digital mixing (and subsequent remastering) for Love I'm going to assume "yes" and "by him".
stuburns said:
That's good news, and you're right, I never saw the show, would have liked to though.
The tracks seriously need remastering though, half the Beatles catalogue sounds like it was mastered by an inbred deaf pissed up fuck wit. The mastering on Sgt Pepper is so bad I have to listen to the mono mix.
well, that's because of the number of tracks available to them. Listen to "Eleanor Rigby" and note the seperation in tracks to left and right channels. I wish I could remember the place I heard the interview but it was with Giles and he was previewing some of the new stereo mixes he was doing of the albums and they were awesome.
BrodiemanTTR said:
Did I see someone in this thread refer to Rock Band's weekly DLC as "milking"? What in the world, GAF.
yes, you did. odd, ain't it.

StuBurns

Banned
bune duggy said:
well, that's because of the number of tracks available to them. Listen to "Eleanor Rigby" and note the seperation in tracks to left and right channels. I wish I could remember the place I heard the interview but it was with Giles and he was previewing some of the new stereo mixes he was doing of the albums and they were awesome.

Mixing has nothing to do with mastering. The mono mixes were actually the main concern until the White Album, which is when they started taking stereo seriously. The mastering for the CD releases was just dog shit ruff.

M3wThr33

Banned
Hmm. This sounds VERY interesting, almost like what GH:A should have been. (With the GOOD Aerosmith songs)

I bet you'll still be able to export to Rock Band.

stuburns said:
Mixing has nothing to do with mastering. The mono mixes were actually the main concern until the White Album, which is when they started taking stereo seriously. The mastering for the CD releases was just dog shit ruff.
So my terms were off; it's been awhile since I heard the interview (and trying to find it - and failing - is annoying me). The point is that they've been working on this for awhile now (Love was released in 2006, right?) so the songs in-game should sound great.

StuBurns

Banned
bune duggy said:
So my terms were off; it's been awhile since I heard the interview (and trying to find it - and failing - is annoying me). The point is that they've been working on this for awhile now (Love was released in 2006, right?) so the songs in-game should sound great.

Oh yeah, I don't want them to be remixed, but really high quality remastering is almost worthy of buying the game for.

Top Bottom