• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT3| Two-sided triangles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zabojnik

He wasn't out of position! He hasn't played on the left in a few years, but he has in the past, as this second diagram from Zonal Marking's analysis of Ghana in WC2010 will show:

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/06/05/ghana-world-cup-2010-tactics/

I still think he's limited and frankly a tiny bit wasted as a LWB. He's been great so far and today especially though, so I'm not really complaining. The others ...

Lichtsteiner is a rock-steady RB, perfect for a 4-3-3. He's not a RWB. He's not terrible by any means when played as one, however he doesn't have the technical quality needed o be a constant danger up front. He can be devastating when he comes rushing down the side as a motherfucking Swiss train and is served with a through-ball, but you'll never (or very rarely) see him jump the defender in a one vs. one, be it with a dribble or with sheer pace. Conte knows this, I think, which is why we bought Isla. Licht is too good not to be in the starting XI, so I really, really, REALLY hope we'll be switching between 3-5-2 and 4-3-3 a lot this season.

We need a top striker who'll play alongside Vucinic. Shocking, I know. Giovinco is work in progress at this point. He considers himself a SS, while I've always though he was best suited as a WF or a AMF. As quick and able in turning as he is, we can't have him playing with his back constantly against the goal, he's just too much of a lightweight. Still, he and Conte need time to figure it out, so no worries (yet). Hope his ankle injury is nothing serious. He'll probably have to skip Udinese.

Marchiso was good to great, Vidal is at 40% tops. I hope it's just poor form and not sports hernia. Bonucci made the same retarded mistake he made in the SuperCoppa match vs. Napoli, thankfully this time there was no Pandev to take advantage of it. He needs to wake up, summer's almost over. Marrone was solid, just solid. It's pretty incredible, actually, considering he was still a CM only a month ago.

In short, it's still summer football and the form is what it is. We only saw 10 minutes of what could be considered the real Juve today and it was enough to beat Parma. Marotta, you know what you have to do.

FootballFan

Malaga deserve at least a draw here, credit to Mallorca though, they scored when they had the chance.

edit
Just as I say that Juanmi scores right after being subbed in. Gettin' good.

Watching Nuri play for another club still hurts :(

Kagawa not so much, I think we got an upgrade:
VTVGR.jpg

Clegg

I don't want to judge too soon, especially before we have a proper defence back...but it just feels like last season to me. We are never in control of matches for long stretches, team will always have a chance of getting back into the game against us.

We were missing our first choice defensive pairing for 6 months of last season. And they still haven't played together this season. I think we'll get better when Vidic gets into the swing of things and he's reunited with Rio, at at least with someone who is a natural CB. Some of last seasons problems were down to us missing Vidic.

But Uniteds mental fragility is a different matter altogether. When we had Ronaldo there was an arrogance and swagger in the team. We expected to win every match we played and if we went behind there was the belief that we'd still come back and win the game.

Thats missing now.

Arnie

Watching Chelsea Newcastle highlights and holy fuck Chelsea are looking very very good. They are passing the ball around so fast and their attackers all have great first touches.

Still not convinced. Think they've been very fortunate so far, teams keep gifting them cheap penalties, and they've glided to a couple of wins on the back of merely solid performances because of it. Wigan collapsed in 7 minutes and handed them a win (despite the remainder of the game being an even contest), they beat Reading with an offside goal, and Anita stupidly handed them the lead today. Bit soon to be waxing lyrical about them, personally, especially considering they were getting banged by Brighton some few weeks ago.

Still not convinced. Think they've been very fortunate so far, teams keep gifting them cheap penalties, and they've glided to a couple of wins on the back of merely solid performances because of it. Wigan collapsed in 7 minutes and handed them a win (despite the remainder of the game being an even contest), they beat Reading with an offside goal, and Anita stupidly handed them the lead today. Bit soon to be waxing lyrical about them, personally, especially considering they were getting banged by Brighton some few weeks ago.

Well you know what they say about bad pre season.

Messi saw a gap in the gimmick market once fistful of metal bit the dust

Now that is how to get a tag, Messi. Just make a thread showing off your collection and size of it.

No man Kagawa is class...He's vital to our consecutive champions... But I do agree with you, will take Reus over Shinji anyday

No player is vital to our success, ok, maybe Hummels but that's it. Shinji missed half a season, Kehl missed almost a whole season, Barrios missed a few months and Götze missed half a season. Other players stepped up, the team and of course Klopp is vital to our success.

Shinji is a good player but not that different to Götze, Gündogan, Leitner, etc. Reus offers something else, he's a deadly finisher (his finish against Bremen was fantastic) and tries to shoot outside of the box. There's no other player in our squad that plays like this. Once Reus is fully settled and Götze is back in the starting eleven, we're better than before.

elsk

Banned
No player is vital to our success, ok, maybe Hummels but that's it. Shinji missed half a season, Kehl missed almost a whole season, Barrios missed a few months and Götze missed half a season. Other players stepped up, the team and of course Klopp is vital to our success.

Barrios wants to leave China already, btw. :p

Well, it was as stupid move for him. But he's not even playing for that team now. I mean, that's fucking ridiculous. You can't tell me that they actually have a better striker than him. I won't and can't possibly believe that.

Arnie

Get mad:

Brendan Rodgers' sales spiel entices Nuri Sahin to Liverpool

Yes, but slow down a bit, Brendan. How exactly do you persuade a player who has not been getting enough game time at the Bernabéu to pass on a move to the Emirates and guaranteed Champions League appearances, in favour of a club still trying to get back into the top four and with only Europa League football to offer? It is just over two years since Swansea of the Championship made the then jobless Rodgers an offer that took him to South Wales instead of taking up an invitation to join the Manchester City coaching staff under Roberto Mancini. To say his rise has been meteoric would be understating the case, but it now sounds as though he could qualify as salesman of the year as well.

"When I talk to players, I promise them three things," Rodgers says. "The first is communication. I won't bluff players, I'll be totally honest and open with them. The second is that they'll become better, that I'll make sure the quality of work will improve them as players. And third I promise ambition. I want to be the best I possibly can. I grew from nothing into something through sheer ambition, work and determination.

"So I can promise them all those things, and I can guarantee they're playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world with some of the greatest supporters in the world, in a style and culture that will suit them and in a city where their family can grow and enjoy their life. If they don't go for that I'll just take out my guitar and sing them some Irish songs! You can't win them all. We lost the boy Sigurdsson to Tottenham, but there's no drama, you just get on with your job."

faridmon

Jesus Aston villa are looking really terrible. looks like they cant adjust to Lamberts game

Maybe Lamberts overestimated how effective Lamberts game is, especially on a team that is made of entire of Championship -no scrap that- League 1 level of players?

dc89

@City_Watch said:
Mancini could quit as #mcfc boss inside a year if he doesn’t receive the backing in the transfer market he was promised. [Daily Mail]

Daily Mail lol.

#basedmarwood knows what he must do. Mancini > Marwood.

Salvadora

I don't understand that. Why would Mancini sign a contract without knowing what sort of plans the club had for the summer and beyond?

Shinji is a good player but not that different to Götze, Gündogan, Leitner, etc. Reus offers something else, he's a deadly finisher (his finish against Bremen was fantastic) and tries to shoot outside of the box. There's no other player in our squad that plays like this. Once Reus is fully settled and Götze is back in the starting eleven, we're better than before.

Well agree with you on the later part.... Obviously the trio of Klopp, Zorc and Watzke are the most important keys to our recent success...I don't feel the need to undermine Shinji's contributions though... He's phenomenal in the first half of his inaugural season...Scored some key goals, which are very important to our path to league champion. The fact that he's our best goal scorer aside from Lewy and Lucas says something. I'd rank him along with Hummels Kehl Lewy and Piszczek as our most important players last season. In terms of potential I'd say Gotze gets the upper hand but I really don't see Leitner can be anywhere near him soon. He's more like our own version of Cleverley. :O

Looks like Lippi is not too fond of him, quit bidding Martinez and buy Lucas for 40M ;)

Are you going this season, Jeff, or are you in exile until "they" have fucked off?

Good to see you get off to a strong start.

I renewed on Wednesday mate against my better judgement, I've moved within walking distance of ewood park now and it didn't feel right walking away from the club.

We'll still be here when their gone!

We've actually been playing terrible but have seven points, maybe a few of our players still have that extra bit of class that's required even with Kean to get some points.

With Kean we'll be mid table without him I'd fancy is to be play offs at least.

You guys looking good!

Bumhead

Banned
Good man. Yeah, playing poorly but still picking up the points is often a good sign, to be honest. You still have the quality in key areas.

We are exceptional going forward, look like we'll score in every attack right now. We're attacking with pace, power and a relentless desire and never say die attitude. We'll put goals past any side in this league on our day. Problem is we've conceded 2 goals in every one of our 4 games so far (league and cup) so that needs resolving. We're not going to score 3 every week.

Can't argue with 7 in 3 though.

Salvadora

Do you really need to ask that?
Of course. I would be surprised if he didn't know how much he would have to spend well before the summer.
I have an amazing mental image of Sahin sitting on the couch while Rodgers belts out, "I useta love her." I'm fairly certain that's how we enticed him.

You are also paying more of his wages & a more attractive loan fee to Real Madrid.

elseanio

Updated the OP with 4 leagues and their respective teams. Clicking the badge of any team will take you to their website. If anyone notices any errors, please PM me
3AQmK.gif

Will work on adding some more leagues if people want that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom