• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT3| Two-sided triangles

Status
Not open for further replies.

bud

No but it sounds like there were other, equally important factors involved. Sahin mentions his chats with Rodgers as well.

none of those factors sound like they're liverpool-exclusive, though. this is all down to wenger not willing to pay that much for a loan without having a buy-out option at the end of the season.

Clegg

I'm more and more convinced that Nani is on his way out.

He's been at Old Trafford for 5 years and has developed into a very good player when on form. But when he's off form he can be disgustingly shit. I can see SAF deciding tosell if he felt that Nani couldn't develop into a consistent threat. I'd like to see him stay because he can be one of our best but thats not up to me.

I think he would have been shown the door had we managed to sign Hazard or Lucas. If his alleged bust up with SAF is true then that could be the end for him.

Salvadora

Arsenal look to midfielder Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain to be central to their plans
Jack Wilshere has not kicked a ball for Arsenal for more than a year, last season’s midfield keystone Alex Song has just hiked it to Barcelona and the void left by Robin van Persie’s departure is more than 30 goals wide.

For many, the pall that hangs over the Emirates Stadium every summer has just grown gloomier since the end of last term.
Yet over in the manager’s office at London Colney there is the satisfied sense of a plan coming together. And for Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and his father, the former England international winger Mark Chamberlain, that sense is all the more keenly felt.
“I remember on the day I actually signed the manager asked me where I see myself,” Oxlade-Chamberlain said. “My dad was in the room and my dad said, ‘He’s a centre mid, he’s a midfielder’. The boss sort of laughed and said, ‘I think he could be as well’.
“He said maybe to start off with he’ll be out wide and that part of the game will come. Last season I did play the majority on the wing when I did play and had a few games in centre mid. But the boss has been pushing more this season to try my hand in a more central position.”
That move to midfield has come more quickly than anyone anticipated. But then Oxlade-Chamberlain has rarely been forced to bide his time in football. Having scored on his home debut and on his Champions League debut, he was also Roy Hodgson’s surprise pick for England’s Euro 2012 opener. It is easy to forget he only turned 19 last week.

Oxlade-Chamberlain stands out among young English footballers for being highly engaging and articulate, even when confronted by awkward realities. When asked if he subscribed to the view that Arsenal had become a selling club his answer was diplomatic and thoughtful.
“That’s not for me to say,” he said. “This is football for you. People have different aspects they want to achieve, different motives and places they want to go as individuals. As a club all I can say is it’s a brilliant football club and I love every minute of every day that I’m here.”
Clearly his mind is just as active when he plays his football. “When I watch people I’m quite a quick learner,” Oxlade-Chamberlain said. “I like to pick up on what people who are in a better position do.
“If you’re watching Barcelona and you’re focusing on Iniesta or Messi obviously you’ll see what he’s doing on the ball. But if you watch them as well while someone else has got the ball then you see what they’re doing. You can see the way he’s thinking, who he’s close to and his movement as well.”
It is on Andrés Iniesta that Oxlade-Chamberlain models his game. “You’ll see him playing in midfield and then you’ll see him drifting out wide and he’ll take players on and he scores goals,” he said. “He sees through-balls and at the same time he keeps things ticking and he’ll tackle.
“Even Steven Gerrard, I’ve been watching him since I was a young lad and back in his early days I remember he used to make bursting runs from deep all the way up front and get in the box and score goals.”

Oxlade-Chamberlain is perhaps too young to remember how Patrick Vieira used to do the same for Arsenal. Not since the France international quit the club that made him in 2005 have the Gunners had a player capable of driving at the opposition from the heart of their midfield.
They do now.
“Even when I’m in midfield I’ll still run at people and take people on or drive so I’ll always have that, don’t worry,” Oxlade-Chamberlain said. “When I watch football nowadays I’m watching players and they don’t take people on and I’m thinking, ‘Why hasn’t he done that?’
“I think in that situation I try to make sure I do, if it’s the right option to take people on. That’s a part of my game I try to do every week. Hopefully that will help me to be an exciting player and a fan favourite.”
Oxlade-Chamberlain intends to compensate in some way for the loss of Robin van Persie’s goals: expect the Ox to play box to box. Indeed he certainly has the confidence to dominate games. When asked about the size of his task in replacing Song he replied: “Big shoes to fill? You’ve got that anywhere at Arsenal.
“We’re all confident players, and it’s Arsenal Football Club. If we didn’t believe we were going to win the league then there’s something wrong.”
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...Chamberlain-to-be-central-to-their-plans.html
Such an exciting player. Hopefully Oxlade-Chamberlain & Wilshere will play big roles this season.

Sahin came out with a couple of naughty lines in his interview, guaranteed to cause a stir:

Yes, yes... Lie to them Sahin. Lie to them.

jS317vR9TBrU1.jpg

Do you think Oscar will start the game, giving Mata a chance to rest? Might be a good opportunity.
He could, but honestly, I really want to go for this trophy, so would like our strongest line up. Certainly Oscar should make and appearance. I even fancy the Club World Cup, I want that patch!

K1LLER7

I'm more and more convinced that Nani is on his way out.

He's been at Old Trafford for 5 years and has developed into a very good player when on form. But when he's off form he can be disgustingly shit. I can see SAF deciding tosell if he felt that Nani couldn't develop into a consistent threat. I'd like to see him stay because he can be one of our best but thats not up to me.

I think he would have been shown the door had we managed to sign Hazard or Lucas. If his alleged bust up with SAF is true then that could be the end for him.
I wouldn't think Fergie would sell if there wasn't a replacement lined up now. If we had to sell Nani in order to fund for a quality midfielder, like Dembele for example who'd instantly get into the team, then I would probably sell.

Soi-Fong

I wouldn't think Fergie would sell if there wasn't a replacement lined up now. If we had to sell Nani in order to fund for a quality midfielder, like Dembele for example who'd instantly get into the team, then I would probably sell.

I would go for this, if we had someone better than Young to fill in. Still, we need someone strong in CM. I'm hoping for a surprise dip in the transfer market one more time from Fergie.

elsk

Banned
It saddens me that Berba isn't even a part of the matchday squad anymore.

For his own sake I hope he moves away from United. SAF has made it clear that he isn't needed anymore and Berba is too good to waste away on the sidelines.

Should've let him go as free agent, but they had to renew him like JTs :p

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Oh, fuck you dude. What a shitty thing to say

This was after being eliminated by Chelsea last April:

That, however, is not surprising given Barcelona keeper Victor Valdes' poor shots-to-save statistics. Only Borussia Dortmund's Roman Weidenfeller (40%) has a worse ratio than Valdes (52.9%) in the Champions League this season.

http://www.espnstar.com/editorial/news/detail/item792140/Barca-vs-Chelsea:-The-statistics-story/

I wish him well but I just want what's best for the team. I mean even with Curtois (sp?) we would be practically unstoppable.

bonus vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V262pVxTuyA watch at 1:44

you could have made that save bro. after that is when he started shaving his head so he would look hard.

Totakeke

So the book Inverting the Pyramid is available on Kindle on Amazon UK but not on Amazon US. Sucks. Anyone knows if you can gift a book cross regions? Probably not.

GorillaJu

Salvadora, that Ox article is a good read. It's nice to hear a footballer speak and actually have something to say. I agree that he's very articulate, though I hate to use that word since it's so often used by Americans to patronize black people.

He was someone we were after but Arsenal was always his preferred destination.

Messi

This was after being eliminated by Chelsea last April:

http://www.espnstar.com/editorial/news/detail/item792140/Barca-vs-Chelsea:-The-statistics-story/

I wish him well but I just want what's best for the team. I mean even with Curtois (sp?) we would be practically unstoppable.

bonus vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V262pVxTuyA watch at 1:44

you could have made that save bro. after that is when he started shaving his head so he would look hard.

I meant wishing he would get hurt.

--

Hey guys, I bought and am playing Sleeping Dogs. It's pretty damn fun. But I just got to
the bus route mission
about an hour into the game. I checked my story progress and it says 20% and I am only an hour into it. Is this game really short or what's going on.

Salazar

I would go for this, if we had someone better than Young to fill in. Still, we need someone strong in CM. I'm hoping for a surprise dip in the transfer market one more time from Fergie.

Quite a few times, again, you see Young in a one on one in their half, with cover behind him, and he just puts his foot on the ball and goes sideways or backwards.

It shouldn't be up to Evra to be the bold one on that wing.

Haha I just saw how Lukaku celebrated in front of the Spurs fans. :lol

Pinto isn't better than Valdes, but I wish Valdes that JT would get hurt, preferably by a kick to the balls. Fuck him.

PJX

Of course. I would be surprised if he didn't know how much he would have to spend well before the summer.

You are also paying more of his wages & a more attractive loan fee to Real Madrid.

1272964790_glenn-beck-crying.gif

You seem really bitter and the tears are just flowing from your eyes.

Mumei

I lied; I started Inverting the Pyramid. It's pretty hilarious so far with the characterization of the English ("In other words, passes had to be either lateral or backwards; for Englishmen convinced that anything other than charging directly at a target was suspiciously subtle and unmanly, that would clearly never do").

What was the best Premier League game on Saturday?

Fry

I'm going to bed otherwise I'll miss the early match. I'll leave you with both of Neymessi's goals from today.

iXcxI6S2lWuow.gif

iyJFx2kFPF66O.gif

iblcZfuGJHd4h0.gif

Messi

Haha I just saw how Lukaku celebrated in front of the Spurs fans. :lol

Pinto isn't better than Valdes, but I wish Valdes that JT would get hurt, preferably by a kick to the balls. Fuck him.

tumblr_m719m5f9L51rzdcixo1_500.gif

Another person? What the fuck is wrong with some of you? How can you want to see someone hurt. I don't really like Rooney but I would never have wanted to see him pick up an injury like he did today.

Ex Brøndby/PSV/Burnley player Van Der Schaaf in a tender moment with Copenhagens defender Sølvi Ottesen today

iivwcQziN63y4.gif

[img']http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m719m5f9L51rzdcixo1_500.gif[/img]

Another person? What the fuck is wrong with some of you? How can you want to see someone hurt. I don't really like Rooney but I would never have wanted to see him pick up an injury like he did today.

Knocking out someone and not even fucking saying sorry or anything, didn't even bother checking up on him as he hit the ground, he's a real JT and I want someone to kick him in the balls.

bud

tumblr_m719m5f9L51rzdcixo1_500.gif

so uh do you always respond with a wilde tumblr gif

Man, Kroos must be the player with the shittiest work-rate in football history.

Can't be worse than Adebayor. If he gets in an offside trap he won't get out of it again, simply because he can't bother moving. When he sprinted back in front of the Arse fans he probably ran more than during a normal match.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
I lied; I started Inverting the Pyramid. It's pretty hilarious so far with the characterization of the English ("In other words, passes had to be either lateral or backwards; for Englishmen convinced that anything other than charging directly at a target was suspiciously subtle and unmanly, that would clearly never do").

What was the best Premier League game on Saturday?
I don't know if it has been mentioned already, but you should watch Match of the Day. It's a weekly BBC show that has highlights and analysis of all the EPL games from Saturday, with longer spots given to the better/higher profile/more exciting games. Compulsory watching for any British citizen. I think most people watch their team's game and maybe 1 or 2 more, and catch up on the rest through MotD. There's even usually discussion here during it.

Salazar

Christ, some people.

Redcafe said:
I do too but I'd start Ando over Carrick just because Ando needs game time and we can see what he is capable of if he isn't injured. Carrick is extremely consistent so a few games on the bench or defense won't hurt him.

Redcafe said:
Basically he [Anderson] needs to be for us what Dembele is for Fulham.

Mumei

I don't know if it has been mentioned already, but you should watch Match of the Day. It's a weekly BBC show that has highlights and analysis of all the EPL games from Saturday, with longer spots given to the better/higher profile/more exciting games. Compulsory watching for any British citizen. I think most people watch their team's game and maybe 1 or 2 more, and catch up on the rest through MotD. There's even usually discussion here during it.

Unfortunately, I only have access to BBC America and they do not air it, and BBC is evil and does not allow Americans to watch it on their website because, you know, they're evil.

I don't get it :(

It is mocking Meus. Check out the last page of the previous topic; someone links to the posts.

Salazar

Unfortunately, I only have access to BBC America and they do not air it, and BBC is evil and does not allow Americans to watch it on their website because, you know, they're evil.

Oh Mumei, if I weren't a poster and you weren't a mod, the things, the convenient things, I could tell you.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
It's a good thing there is an IRC channel completely unaffiliated with this thread, and completely unrelated to any current discussions.

Ahem, on another note. I just want it to be Wednesday already. I have a feeling we are going to fuck up this CL qualifier and I just want it to be over. ;_;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom