• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma PS3. "exclusively for the PlayStation 3 next Spring"

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Jesus christ. Are you people serious?

It was a simple, "They don't play similarly," argument. Let's list ALL action games for every platform!

As soon as people said, "Hey look, onimusha is action," then it should have been added to the PS3 list. Of course, this entire argument is retarded so you can see why it wasn't.

I'm also assuming another onimusha will even come. Or ZOE for that matter.

Dahbomb, I know exactly what you mean.

Dahbomb

What is so difficult to understand?

Lost Planet/Gears of War = 3rd person action shooters

Devil May Cry/Ninja Gaiden/God of War: Advance combo-centric 3rd person action games

The problem is that the action genre is so god damn big that stuff like GTA is also involved in it as well, as is RE4 and MGS since they have "action" in it, as well as first person shooters and even fighters + action platformers (R&C, Jak).

Action in its pure form in gaming is just anything that isn't turn based or completely puzzle oriented. Clearly I was able to distinction here about the latter that some people weren't able to discern because they were too busy crying over loss of exclusivity or lack of 3rd person combo-centri action games or whatever...

Glad to see some Gaffers knew what I meant rather than crying over it... :lol

jett

D-Member
m0dus said:
Are you defining 'action' by what goes on in the game, or just by which system it's on?

I think you're the one doing this shit. No one in their right mind would put Dead Rising next to to Ninja Gaiden and DMC.

Himuro said:
There's a big difference between Kirby's Canvas Curse and Super Mario Bros. yet they're still platformers.

Wait. Are they? Lemme check and see if Kirby's CC is a platformer. Did anyone change it's genre?

A better comparison would be sim and arcade racers. Yes they're both racing games and yes the goal in both is to get to the end, but they play completely different and the audience they attract are completely different. It doesn't mean they aren't in the same genre (racing) but the concept behind them is clearly different. DMC, NG, GoW ect. have always been put into a seperate category when discussing them. They attract an audience of gamers who're looking for a fighting game flow but in an action game setting.

So how about that Ninja Gaiden Sigma? The thread title was misleading... I expected it to be discussion of the game, but it is obviously a dick waving contest. Misleading titles ftl

Y2Kev

m0dus said:
It's a matter of principle. And as far as 'trouncing', setting arbitrary definitions of what does and does not define a particular genre does little to back up said argument. Honestly, this isn't straight up action? get real.

Fine.

Lost Planet = straight-up action
DMC = on the rocks action

neptunes

BamYouHaveAids said:
So how about that Ninja Gaiden Sigma? The thread title was misleading... I expected it to be discussion of the game, but it is obviously a dick waving contest. Misleading titles ftl
It's been dickwaving since page one, but there's not much to discuss about seeing as how they haven't disclosed much details and the game DID come out two years ago.

What about the couple of new moves ryu is getting. -_-

jimbo

Banned
Kangu said:
LP is more RE4, MGS3, GoW from what I can tell. The games he listed pretty much fall into the 'inspired by DMC' category.

I'll give you GOW...but dude LP is nothing like RE4 or MGS3...you have not played the demo if you are making this type of comparison and you don't know much about the game, that's obvious. If you want to know what LP REALLY compares too, and I'm surprized more people haven't said this...is GUNVALKYRE.

Substitute graplin hook for jetpacks and there you have it. And GUNVALKYRE was all PURE action.

Actually I take that back....you don't even have to make that substitution...because the mechs you get into in LP can hover too;)

Chiggs

PS3 owns next-gen martial arts games with combos and no guns except for Devil May Cry 4, but that's okay because it has swords, too.

Dahbomb

m0dus said:
It's a matter of principle. And as far as 'trouncing', setting arbitrary definitions of what does and does not define a particular genre does little to back up said argument. Honestly, this isn't straight up action? get real.
:lol :lol :lol

Let's just end this silly argument by saying that both Lost Planet and Ninja Gaiden kick MAJOR amounts of ass (something we can all agree with). Seriously if you keep pushing this subject I will push back and then call the other fanboys and we can have ourselves a nice little war over action sub-genres and what not...

jimbo said:
I'll give you GOW...but dude LP is nothing like RE4 or MGS3...you have not played the demo if you are making this type of comparison and you don't know much about the game, that's obvious. If you want to know what LP REALLY compares too, and I'm surprized more people haven't said this...is GUNVALKYRE.

Substitute graplin hook for jetpacks and there you have it. And GUNVALKYRE was all PURE action.

Sorry but LP doesn't have combos and swords, so that makes it EXACTLY like RE4 and MGS3.

Bebpo

Banned
I already covered this subject in my God Hand review. There is a distinction between physical action games where you punch/slash people and gun action games where you shoot people.

And all that really matters is which next-gen system gets God Hand 2; because they'll win the action category automatically. :D

Kangu

Banned
m0dus said:

I've seen more than enough videos of LP to know how it plays. Reading the original post it's pretty clear what he meant. The fact that he decided to call it 'pure bred action' instead of 'stylish hard action' or whatever the fuc the sub- genre is supposed to be called is what has your panties in a bunch. Let it go.

Well I just though it leant more to that end of the spectrum. I honestly don't have to many games I've played to compare it to.

rafman400

m0dus said:
Nope :) Pure bred action vs. Hack and slash combo action vs. Gun-toting action vs. Gun and sword action vs. mindless hacking.

Take your pick and make a list. either way, we should probably get back on subject.

what thread was this, again?
wait, what is pure bred action, and does action adventure fall under action too?

You know I may be an Xbot but damn I at least bothered to play almost all of the games mentioned in this thread.(DMC1-3, Onimusha 1-2, NG-NG:B, ZOE2, LP demo, etc)

Kind of depressing really. I think next gen I'll play less games and just shout "I HAVE A MORE VALID OPINION" more often.

Angelcurio said:
How was the news received on teamxbox? :)

I don't know maybe you can go look and then tell me.

Dahbomb

Himuro said:
Granted, NG isn't perfect. The pacing of the action is off at times due to the camera, causing you block, roll, block, roll, block, roll to get cover the distance between your enemies you can't see that are offscreen while defending at the same time.
Why would you keep doing that when doing a simple block> roll > JUMP covers almost 2.5 distance of what was said? The ending jump also sets up a perfect Flying Swallow attack.

jimbo

Banned
Kangu said:
I've seen more than enough videos of LP to know how it plays. Reading the original post it's pretty clear what he meant. The fact that he decided to call it 'pure bred action' instead of 'stylish hard action' or whatever the fuc the sub- genre is supposed to be called is what has your panties in a bunch. Let it go.

Well I just though it leant more to that end of the spectrum. I honestly don't have to many games I've played to compare it to.

Hey, no problem.

PS: Do you need a shovel? Perhaps a Bobcat?

Kittonwy

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Since words don't seem to do it for some of you, here's a video to show the difference

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKof5sGPVRg

pandawanda.jpg

^^ Panda-wanda: I approve of this video. RG pwnz-wownz. DT explosion for teh win. ~_~

jimbo

Banned
Dahbomb said:
Why would you keep doing that when doing a simple block> roll > JUMP covers almost 2.5 distance of what was said? The ending jump also sets up a perfect Flying Swallow attack.

Amen. Or just get the damn paddle. Sure it takes a lot of work but it's so worth it. Final boss with the paddle fully charged......shooting fish in a barrel. Anyway, I am glad this is happening. Hopefully now those Sony fanboys that bashed the game back in the day will finally get to enjoy THE best action game last gen and agree that they were all idiots for not RUNNING to get an Xbox the day NG came out. ;)

BigBoss

But yeah, I'm pretty upset about it. MS should have gotten some exclusive rights to the series. Now they don't have any exclusive AAA action-combat games (DMC, NG) on the 360.

Even the fools on Team Xbox understand the difference.

Dahbomb

jimbo said:
Amen. Or just get the damn paddle. Sure it takes a lot of work but it's so worth it. Final boss with the paddle fully charged......shooting fish in a barrel. Anyway, I am glad this is happening. Hopefully now those Sony fanboys that bashed the game back in the day will finally get to enjoy THE best action game last gen and agree that they were all idiots for not RUNNING to get an Xbox the day NG came out. ;)
Ninja Gaiden was the favorite game on the Xbox for most Sony fanboys. :)

And yes I DID went RUNNING the day Ninja Gaiden came out and bought Xbox + NG with it.

BigBoss said:
Even the fools on Team Xbox understand the difference.
ROFLLMAO... here we go again.

m0dus said:
Enough so that they called it a "action combat" game, as opposed to "action game" or "pure-bred-action" game :)

Semantics! weeeeeeee!!!

Isn't there combat in LP? Oh wait they threw in that (DMC, NG) thingie. Okay nevermind they're covered.

Kangu

Banned
m0dus said:
Enough so that they called it a "action combat" game, as opposed to "action game" or "pure-bred-action" game :)

Semantics! weeeeeeee!!!

This is my last post on this subject but, you see, Dahbomb posted a list alongside his usage of the word, hence giving it context. Anyone could see the list of games and know what he meant in that context. You got upset over the word and completely ignored what he meant as it was clearly presented in his post.

Dahbomb

Why are there no Ninja Gaiden 'shops? I want to see some "Bigger, Blacker and Uncircumsized" photoshops already. :lol

manxor

re: Genre debate

It's Melee combat -vs Shooter combat.
(or It's Melee-centric combat -vs Shooter-centric combat.)

Dahbomb made an excellent point... one I'm afraid MS probably doesn't understand...?

You know, I never had the opportunity to post this, but now this comes up, so here:

Dscf0905copy.jpg

I will buy this rehash and a PS3 AND love every second of it.

Y2Kev

_dementia said:
You know, I never had the opportunity to post this, but now this comes up, so here:

Dscf0905copy.jpg

I will buy this rehash and a PS3 AND love every second of it.

Welcome home, ninja gaiden!

Well, it looks like I'm getting Ninja Gaiden a third time.

For you Playstation only gamers, enjoy the Ninja Gaiden love...though weaksauce gamers need not apply.

jimbo said:

Actually I take that back....you don't even have to make that substitution...because the mechs you get into in LP can hover too;)

While I agree with this, I don't think it's two ways. LP may feel most like gunvalk, but honestly Gunvalk feels most like Ninja Gaiden.

atomiswave said:
haha some of those xbots look like they are about to commit suicide...why dont they just buy another console...? and be a winner in all aspects...? i swear i dont get this console loyalty thing...its not like once you choose a side you can never go back.. ? I thought it was all about the games?

Maybe because they don't want to spend $600 for one game? Perhaps the other PS3 games don't appeal to them. I was going to get a PS3 once the price drops, but NGS looks more than just a port to just pass up on it. Forget Tecmo for doing this.

RaijinFY

atomiswave said:
haha some of those xbots look like they are about to commit suicide...why dont they just buy another console...? and be a winner in all aspects...? i swear i dont get this console loyalty thing...its not like once you choose a side you can never go back.. ? I thought it was all about the games?

I cant imagine if ever Kojima announces MGS4 on 360 in the same time as the PS3 version. :lol :lol :lol :lol

Seriously, just only thinking about this makes me laughing out loud right now!

Nvidia

Banned
vspectra06 said:
Maybe because they don't want to spend $600 for one game? Perhaps the other PS3 games don't appeal to them. I was going to get a PS3 once the price drops, but NGS looks more than just a port to just pass up on it. Forget Tecmo for doing this.

PS3 will have shooters and some of the best rpg ever! What not to like?

Top Bottom