• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Destiny Alpha Withdrawal Thread

ElRenoRaven

Some crazies think that having ADS in Destiny is a mistake because Halo doesn't have ADS.

Well and some just don't like it. That's their right too. I myself depending on the game am cool with it and to me it works well in this game. I never felt I had to absolutely ADS. To me that's how it should be.

SnakeEyes

Banned
Some crazies think that having ADS in Destiny is a mistake because Halo doesn't have ADS.
Dax is crazy.

It's fine, everyone's allowed their opinions. I wonder if there'll be people who outright refuse to use ADS while they're playing, and whether they'll be losing out because of it.

Marvel

could never
I don't mind either but if you gave me the choice I would put ADS in just to be a little different from my beloved Halo.

I dunno, I don't think it has to do with Microsoft at all. This is a back-end thing that should be hosted on Bungie's end. According to Rockstar's GTA V announcement on their website you can transfer your characters and progress between any platform of your choice, even PC. Why can Rockstar do it with GTA V and not Bungie with Destiny? I don't know man. I'm not convinced.

I doubt you will be able to transfer from 360 to PS4. I imagine it will be 360 > Xbox One, PS3 > PS4, and PS3/X360 to PC and that's it. I'd almost be willing to put money on it.

Jafo_

Some more gifs from the "B" roll
big%2520gun.gif

mars.gif

nope.gif

The Reef?
reef2.gif

Thorn?
thorn.gif

X-Frame

Yeah i don't know - only built 3 in alpha. I wouldn't be surprised if more became available at launch or just after tbh if it is at 3.

I think that Game Informer cover story from a while back said you could have three characters, although I guess that could have changed since. Lemme see if I can find the article to make sure though.

EDIT: It was a Eurogamer article: "In Destiny you play as one character at a time, but you can have a maximum of three characters on a single account. So, you can have one of each of the three Guardian classes on the go: Titan, Hunter and Warlock."

Thanks. I really hope that a lot more than 3 are available at launch or shortly after. I feel like I am going to want like 10. I don't know why there would be a maximum character slot cap at all either.

Kelsey

Banned

Has nothing to do with Halo. Some people just hate ADS.

Thanks. I really hope that a lot more than 3 are available at launch or shortly after. I feel like I am going to want like 10. I don't know why there would be a maximum character slot cap at all either.

This limitation would seem to indicate that there's very little differentiation to be done within each class. Or if there is, there's little to no cost to change it quickly in-game.

Kelsey

Banned
Both of these statements are kind of incorrectly characterizing the argument against ADS in Destiny.

Maybe it's not characterizing *YOUR* argument against ADS in Destiny, but there is a large contingent of players who simply detest ADS regardless of game. Halo pleases them because it lacks it, but Halo isn't the reason why they hate the idea of ADS in Destiny.

Maybe it's not characterizing *YOUR* argument against ADS in Destiny, but there is a large contingent of players who simply detest ADS regardless of game. Halo pleases them because it lacks it, but Halo isn't the reason why they hate the idea of ADS in Destiny.

Well, I'm only talking about Destiny here, and it seems only relevant to mention the types of arguments against ADS in Destiny, of which "I don't like ADS because I don't like ADS" seems to be in the minority of reasons from what's been discussed in this thread.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Dax is crazy.

It's fine, everyone's allowed their opinions. I wonder if there'll be people who outright refuse to use ADS while they're playing, and whether they'll be losing out because of it.

I won't be using much ADS, hopefully the game is balanced for people who prefer Halo style gunplay to CoD style gunplay.

The Alpha gave me hope, but I need to explore more in the Beta.

Well, I'm only talking about Destiny here, and it seems only relevant to mention the types of arguments against ADS in Destiny, of which "I don't like ADS because I don't like ADS" seems to be in the minority of reasons from what's been discussed in this thread.

I like my gunfights to be a bit fast and a bit long, in which maneuverability and hip fire skill win.

ADS slows things down, so it makes gunplay more boring to me.

I defense of the other guy, I just don't like ADS at all.

But! I can put up with it. Destiny feels especially unsuited for ADS though. For reasons discussed in really long posts when the issue was originally brought up.

Kelsey

Banned

Except I didn't say they arbitrarily had a dislike for ADS. I said the reason for not liking ADS had nothing to do with Halo.

Cheers, will be nice to know I have somewhere to find folk who can handle a controller.

Find your coordinated Fireteam and search for your Destiny together.
Keep a close watch on our Forum as we move closer to BETA, we will be sharing some of our plans for BETA and some HYPE threads on Destiny, a week before BETA.

Wolffen

This is probably going to sound crazy, but I think the number of character slots is going to be a monetization area. I'm fully expecting some form of the Bungie Pro subscription from the Halo:Reach days to return with Destiny, and that the subscription will offer things like increased character slots, special dye colors, ship mods, and other things geared towards higher level players. As much as I don't trust Activision, I do trust Bungie not to monetize things that affect gameplay, but I also expect Bungie to have alternate sources of income beyond the game and DLC expansions.

Guess we'll find out after the beta.

Karl Hawk

Banned
wut.png

wut!?
I don't remember being able to do that in the alpha

That's because it's another super ability that you weren't able to unlock due to the level cap.

It's called Radiance. It can buff your Warlock and your teammates, in addition to resurrecting yourself and your teammates if they died.

They're currently playing Destiny at RTX (Rooster Teeth Expo) if anyone's interested... Here

Thought I'd be cheeky and try and load up the Alpha again, since the servers are obviously back up for the purposes of this, it didn't show the message, but I couldn't play either :(

Is there any real drawback to using just 1 character, and upgrading them as much as possible rather than spreading the experience across 2 or 3?

Obviously there are abilities locked to certain classes, but aside from that?

Is there any real drawback to using just 1 character, and upgrading them as much as possible rather than spreading the experience across 2 or 3?

Obviously there are abilities locked to certain classes, but aside from that?

No drawbacks, but if you want to try out the other classes you have the option to do so. Would be good for fire team diversity, too.

Say you main Titan and you're in a fire team with your friends, and your friend only has a Titan leveled up. If you want to be diverse and have each player be a different class, it would be beneficial to have a warlock or Hunter leveled up as your alts.

No drawbacks, but if you want to try out the other classes you have the option to do so. Would be good for fire team diversity, too.

Say you main Titan and you're in a fire team with your friends, and your friend only has a Titan leveled up. If you want to be diverse and have each player be a different class, it would be beneficial to have a warlock or Hunter leveled up as your alts.

I think that might be a drawback. :p

But really, a whole team full of Warlocks can't go wrong. Buffs for days.

Chaostar

So I was wondering, has there been any official word or rock solid speculation on how subclasses will work exactly. I noticed during the alpha and from some videos that the subclass section of your character screen has slots, just like armour and weapons. Does this mean we can carry different loadouts with us and change them on the fly?

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit

Sorry if I missed it earlier in the thread, but can you summarize why *you* don't like ADSing? I actually like it as it allows me to focus on one target at a time, but perhaps I'm missing something on the hipfire flipside? I will admit that I'll start with a hipfire and zero in to an ADS when I need to do so. Seems to work well.

SnakeEyes

Banned
That's because it's another super ability that you weren't able to unlock due to the level cap.

It's called Radiance. It can buff your Warlock and your teammates, in addition to resurrecting yourself and your teammates if they died.
Warlock is God-tier class confirmed...
Better not take 3 days to respawn though!

Agreed x *all the numbers*
It will be slightly ludicrous for a 2016 release to be held back by last-gen, cut the cord already Bungie (before Comet..whatever that is, if possible).
We will only be able to tell with time, but yeah - the beginning of 2016 should be the start of current-gen only releases across the board, considering the difference in console architecture. May be wishful thinking, but like you I don't want current-gen to be held back.

Top Bottom