• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Destiny Alpha Withdrawal Thread

red731

Had to get me a pair of these for Destiny. Don't want to sit there like an idiot with the handsfree thing while playing, plus I want some of that sweet night gaming. Noticed the guns were kinda loud compared to everything else. ;)

PS: They don't seem to have been officially released in sweden yet, Noticed there was 2 in the store on the biggest gaming retailer so had to snag one. No other store has them in stock here :(

http://media.officialplaystationmagazine.co.uk/files/2014/01/PS4-headset.jpg[//IMG][/QUOTE]

So yeah, I just bought them too :)
ed: *dumb
Found the companion app

loldrums

Banned
Thanks :) I am hyped. Looking through this thread really rekindles the flame. The Steam summer sale is a nice distraction but I think we all know where we'll be in a few months!

It's gone from a game I was vaguely interested in to the game. Not a whole lot else I'm looking forward to in gaming this year, but I am looking forward to many hours of this.

Do we know anything about how the Beta will differ from the Alpha? More content, higher level cap, anything? Will progress be reset after Beta again?

Korben

Banned
Do we know anything about how the Beta will differ from the Alpha? More content, higher level cap, anything? Will progress be reset after Beta again?

No, please, no more reset, i'll be a good Hunter, i promess.

And i think a higher level cap is a given or Bungie would be considered like fabulous troll...

I wish Awoken had tails... I would totally play as one if so.

suNREWm.gif

You silly Awoken, go back to The Tower and let us Hunters do all the work !

SnakeEyes

Banned
Here's what we know about supers.

Titan
  • Fist of Havoc (Striker subclass, Arc element)
  • Ward of Dawn (Defender subclass, Void element) - the bubble shield. No known details about this past the obvious - it's a big purple shield. Possibly named Void Barrier - sources differ in naming.
Hunter
  • Golden Gun (Gunslinger subclass, Solar element)
  • Arc Blade (Bladedancer subclass, Arc element) - AOE melee super - some videos show character pinballing between enemies, others show character doing a sweeping melee with an accompanying AOE.
Warlock
  • Nova Bomb (Voidwalker subclass, Void element)
  • Radiance (Firesinger subclass, Solar element) - buff ability; revives self and/or teammates, boosts power or weapon damage (maybe both?)
Some information may be outdated, since half of it is from the alpha and half of it is from videos of potentially old builds. Off the top of my head, I think they've confirmed only two subclasses per character class at launch (source).
Hrm, I guess the majority of the alternate subclasses are designed for Fire Team play for Strikes and Raids. I know I'm going to be running Warlock, now I need to decide if I want to be sacrificing Damage for Buffs and Revives...
I hope we have access to the alternate subclasses in the beta.

Hrm, I guess the majority of the alternate subclasses are designed for Fire Team play for Strikes and Raids. I know I'm going to be running Warlock, now I need to decide if I want to be sacrificing Damage for Buffs and Revives...

As I've said before, as long as Radiance's duration isn't laughably short, I'm definitely picking it over Nova Bomb since my two permanent partners are definitely not going to have any form of support, and I love buffs.

SnakeEyes

Banned
As I've said before, as long as Radiance's duration isn't laughably short, I'm definitely picking it over Nova Bomb since my two permanent partners are definitely not going to have any form of support, and I love buffs.
Yeah I suppose. At least it buffs damage as well as the revival function. I'd hate to be stuck as Medic.

Horse

Banned
You silly Awoken, go back to The Tower and let us Hunters do all the work !

Titans are pure Beefmode.

I'm a big Horse, so why would I want to play as a skinny thing with a stupid cloak that doesn't even stop bullets like my bubble shield?

And we have glowing ears and this gnarly knee attack.

iJyL6XXtI5G4F.gif

Havok

I hope we have access to the alternate subclasses in the beta.
Yeah, I suspect that the Defender and Firesinger subclasses are going to be the go-to for Strikes and Raids in the boss phases, since the active damage supers don't really put much of a dent in the bosses (or the higher-tier standard enemies, for that matter) and survivability is really the issue in boss fights. Which is fine, I would imagine it encourages people to not let their build stagnate as they bounce between PvE and PvP, and you still have to make an active choice on whether you want fast wave-clearing abilities or tankiness/boosted damage sources.

WITHE1982

anyone have a gif of arc blade? i just wanna cut people

Played mostly as a awoken warlock in alpha but the hunter is looking more and more enticing. Still gonna have my warlock as my primary but for the golden gun super and arc blade I'll make myself a human hunter (maybe for PVP).

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
No chat in remote play is a system limitation rather than something Bungie can do. I did read a way to do it that involved creating parties in your vita, then entering remote play afterward or something. Was convoluted.

That's the helpful thing about emotes though.

Playstation Tv is going to support the DS4 so remote playing using that should be better. Don't know if that means you will be able to plug a mic into the controller and have that work.

Damn it. Sony needs to fix that ASAP. Hmm. Might even consider getting a PS TV since it's so cheap and that would let me play the PS4 in two places of the house.

Had to get me a pair of these for Destiny. Don't want to sit there like an idiot with the handsfree thing while playing, plus I want some of that sweet night gaming. Noticed the guns were kinda loud compared to everything else. ;)

PS: They don't seem to have been officially released in sweden yet, Noticed there was 2 in the store on the biggest gaming retailer so had to snag one. No other store has them in stock here :(

Yeah, getting this, too. Most likely the white one. :D

The thumbsticks are just too fiddly in my hands-movement was ok I guess but aiming was a nightmare compared to the DS4

Hopefully, I get used to it real quick.

That would be on Sony to resolve, by allowing party chat between PS4 and Vita.

Can't believe it's not been patched until now. O_0

How do you guys stand playing Destiny on such a small screen?

Well, I'll be playing it on my TV, but if I have to (and want to), I'll play it on the Vita while in the other part of the house. :D

This has always been possible. You have to use the Party app on Vita to use voice chat. It's part of the suite of apps that will run concurrently with your game.

Thank you! So, it's possible for me to be on a Vita and talk tactics (trash) with my fireteam. Awww yiss!

I'm going to be gone from the 16th to the 20th for an Akira Yamaoka and the Silent Hill band concert plus convention, so I'd miss the first three days of the beta if I didn't play on my vita.

Believe me, I wouldn't be remote playing Destiny if I had the choice, though I do love remote play.

As someone who doesn't have a Vita, how does this work? I just turn on my PS4 and wherever I am, as long as I'm online, I can use Remote Play?

Pumped for the beta. July can't come soon enough. =)

As someone who doesn't have a Vita, how does this work? I just turn on my PS4 and wherever I am, as long as I'm online, I can use Remote Play?

Pumped for the beta. July can't come soon enough. =)

Basically, if your PS4 is on or on standby and (I might be wrong about this part) directly connected to your modem/router via ethernet cable (I think its wifi has to be free for over-wifi-remoteplay), and you pick the settings to allow your vita to wake it up, then when you're in a location with wifi on your vita, you can wake up your ps4 and play.

The visual quality and latency of remote play over wifi is HIGHLY dependent on the quality of your home network that the ps4 is connected to, and the wifi network wherever you are on your vita.

Since I'm gonna be on hotel wifi with my vita, I expect it to be pitiful, but Destiny at pitiful quality is better than missing 3 days of the beta.

Titan
  • Ward of Dawn (Defender subclass, Void element) - the bubble shield. No known details about this past the obvious - it's a big purple shield. Possibly named Void Barrier - sources differ in naming.
Hunter
  • Arc Blade (Bladedancer subclass, Arc element) - AOE melee super - some videos show character pinballing between enemies, others show character doing a sweeping melee with an accompanying AOE.
Warlock
  • Radiance (Firesinger subclass, Solar element) - buff ability; revives self and/or teammates, boosts power or weapon damage (maybe both?)
Some information may be outdated, since half of it is from the alpha and half of it is from videos of potentially old builds. Off the top of my head, I think they've confirmed only two subclasses per character class at launch (source).

Thanks for the reply.

The Warlock Buff is interesting but will people go for it when they have Nova Bomb?

The blade thingy for Hunter seems a little uninspired, just another AoE high damage super. I would have preferred a more indirect but helpful Super like the Titan and Warlock get.

Thanks for the reply.

The Warlock Buff is interesting but will people go for it when they have Nova Bomb?

The blade thingy for Hunter seems a little uninspired, just another AoE high damage super. I would have preferred a more indirect but helpful Super like the Titan and Warlock get.

We don't know what the buff does yet, but let's hypothetically say it's a damage boost. Nova Bomb is a one-time AoE explosion for massive damage.

Radiance could be a full party damage boost that lasts a decent length of time. I would imagine the additional damage of Radiance with a full party will outstrip Nova Bomb's one time blast.

Number45

Planning to "main" hunter, but I'll be trying the other classes if they can provide party wide buffs. I do love me some support classes.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Basically, if your PS4 is on or on standby and (I might be wrong about this part) directly connected to your modem/router via ethernet cable (I think its wifi has to be free for over-wifi-remoteplay), and you pick the settings to allow your vita to wake it up, then when you're in a location with wifi on your vita, you can wake up your ps4 and play.

The visual quality and latency of remote play over wifi is HIGHLY dependent on the quality of your home network that the ps4 is connected to, and the wifi network wherever you are on your vita.

Since I'm gonna be on hotel wifi with my vita, I expect it to be pitiful, but Destiny at pitiful quality is better than missing 3 days of the beta.

Thanks, man! =)

We don't know what the buff does yet, but let's hypothetically say it's a damage boost. Nova Bomb is a one-time AoE explosion for massive damage.

Radiance could be a full party damage boost that lasts a decent length of time. I would imagine the additional damage of Radiance with a full party will outstrip Nova Bomb's one time blast.

Are XP calculated based on kills or damage? Hope it's damage. If say, we buff our team, do we get additional points/XP for whenever they damage enemies? Noob question. Haha!

Now I'm really curious what that Warlock buff is.. because I can already see the potential in stacking Warlocks for either simultaneous or chained-buffs.

Simo

I love the DS4 so much I wish I had it in my Halo days... and I loved the 360 pad.

ipWqDlRqe8iPx.jpg

I wonder if we will get that Rocket emblem for being in the Alpha. Would be kinda cool.

Hey did you notice that the astronauts on Mars in the E3 video have the same emblem, or at least something very similar, on their sleeves? :)

PS4-headset.jpg

Damn it seems like everyone is posting these for Destiny. I've never really invested in any headsets for gaming before and just used the standard set that comes with consoles and have a cheapo home surround and receiver...so are these, like, worth investing in? Is the virtual 7.1 sound and all that good?

Damn it seems like everyone is posting these for Destiny. I've never really invested in any headsets for gaming before and just used the standard set that comes with consoles and have a cheapo home surround and receiver...so are these, like, worth investing in? Is the virtual 7.1 sound and all that good?

Quality headphones are always worth it for two reasons.

1. The mic that comes with the PS4 is crap.
2. By using headphones your way less likely to send echo and feedback to the people you're partied with. Play as loud or as quiet as you want and it doesn't bother anyone.

Now I'm really curious what that Warlock buff is.. because I can already see the potential in stacking Warlocks for either simultaneous or chained-buffs.

I think a Warlock will be an essential support class in any fire team and going into a raid. Seems like they are being designed that way.

DC1

They're great. The sound is fantastic and the chat mic is flawless. Just don't sit on them.
I've had mine/original ones for several years; one of my best gaming purchases ever.

Simo

Quality headphones are always worth it for two reasons.

1. The mic that comes with the PS4 is crap.
2. By using headphones your way less likely to send echo and feedback to the people you're partied with. Play as loud or as quiet as you want and it doesn't bother anyone.

They're great. The sound is fantastic and the chat mic is flawless. Just don't sit on them.
I've had mine/original ones for several years; one of my best gaming purchases ever.

Cheers for the feedback! I might have to pick up a pair next week then.

Planning to "main" hunter, but I'll be trying the other classes if they can provide party wide buffs. I do love me some support classes.

You get 3 character slots so might as well have one of each class. I don't know how long it will take to max a build, but I plan to have all 3 to be flexible for any multiplayer situation.

Havok

Thanks for the reply.

It seems to me like they're sort of cementing the classes' roles with their super choices, as well as with their core attributes and the codex upgrades - they've mentioned that each class is basically DPS, but they're more like DPS-hybrid for the most part. Titan's got a tanky focus and a damage focus, Warlock's got a support focus and a damage focus, and those two cover the two other parts of the RPG trinity, where Hunter's choice is more "Do I want very high damage to a single target, or just fairly high damage to multiple?" making it pure DPS, just with different strengths.

Also important to note that each of the supers has modifiers in its skill column as well as in the final skill column. The Warlock's damaging super suddenly adds CC by creating a vortex that traps enemies inside and applies DoT, the Titan's damaging super can also serve as zone control by leaving a DoT field, and the Hunter's single-target super suddenly gains AOE on kills. Who knows what modifiers the other focuses have? I could easily see the Titan's shield buffing up damage for players inside, or the Arc Blade giving a movement speed buff or something. There's a lot they can do with what they have.

Titan
Hunter
Warlock
So basically....

Hunter goes bam bam bam (or kachunk!)
Titan goes SMASH (or bubbly-bubbly)
Warlock goes kabooooom (or surf’s up)

It seems to me like they're sort of cementing the classes' roles with their super choices, as well as with their core attributes and the codex upgrades - they've mentioned that each class is basically DPS, but they're more like DPS-hybrid for the most part. Titan's got a tanky focus and a damage focus, Warlock's got a support focus and a damage focus, and those two cover the two other parts of the RPG trinity, where Hunter's choice is more "Do I want very high damage to a single target, or just fairly high damage to multiple?" making it pure DPS, just with different strengths.

Also important to note that each of the supers has modifiers in its skill column as well as in the final skill column. The Warlock's damaging super suddenly adds CC by creating a vortex that traps enemies inside and applies DoT, the Titan's damaging super can also serve as zone control by leaving a DoT field, and the Hunter's single-target super suddenly gains AOE on kills. Who knows what modifiers the other focuses have? I could easily see the Titan's shield buffing up damage for players inside, or the Arc Blade giving a movement speed buff or something. There's a lot they can do with what they have.

Hmm...

I find these little gameplay tenets interesting and it's helpful when there's someone with a better vocabulary to expand on them. I hadn't considered the modifiers. I think you're right and that the Titan shield could offer additional buffs to players inside the bubble. The Warlock's Radiance could offer a variety of different buffs like improved cooldowns, damage, recovery, etc.

So basically....

Hunter goes bam bam bam (or kachunk!)
Titan goes SMASH (or bubbly-bubbly)
Warlock goes kabooooom (or surf’s up)

The key differences between the classes are best explained via onomatopoeia

All gear is equal stat wise in the Crucible :D no one has the advantage gun or armor wise.

I'll flesh it out a little. So you're in a firefight with someone and you're rocking common white gear armor and weapon wise and he/she has rare/uncommons that player will not be stronger than you.

Upgrades you have do carry over though. (faster aiming, ROF, holo-sights that sorta thing and you get those simply by using your stuff everyone will have those)

It comes down to what class you are and how good you play.
Wait, is this true? All the videos I watched said that your gear and weapons directly carry over, leading to some balance issues.

FyreWulff

Wait, is this true? All the videos I watched said that your gear and weapons directly carry over, leading to some balance issues.

Your attachments and stuff carry over, which I have concerns about. But otherwise, your damage stats are equalized out, so everyone's autorifle does the same damage, everyone's sniper rifle does the same damage, etc

Top Bottom